NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Has nobody here seen Killer Elite? I can only find one mention of it in the entire forums. Was it really that bad?

I'm going to be watching it some time later today.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
M*A*S*H* (series) - 9/10
After hearing about Harry Morgan (RIP), I watched it through starting at season 4, then rewatched the whole series. Definitely one of my favorites even after four runs, though I'm in the Potter/Winchester camp. Blake wasn't bad, but Burns was insufferable as a character (and brought Hot Lips down with him, she got better once he left). I only feel bad that Larry Linville got typecast for the role.

Frank Burns
Dan Fielding
Roy Biggens

It sometimes helps to have an antagonist who also part of the main cast.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
^^It's more that Burns was overlayered tongue-in-cheek irony. It's annoying on its own but also gave the character no development. Linville knew this too, which is why he left. I like Dan Fielding by comparison, need to get Night Court at some point. Haven't seen enough of Wings.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The Royal Tenenbaums 8/10 - I like Wes Anderson films, don't know why I haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet so I fixed that. It was hard not to think of Bill Murray as Steve Zissou though.

Love this movie. It is weird and funny at the same time.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Sneakers - 8/10

Had never seen it and saw it was on one of the movie channels so DVR'ed it. Pretty good. Had a little of everything in it, comedy, drama, suspense. The acting was really good. A bit cheesy at times, but that's to be expected in a movie made in '92. It was funny to see the technology used, compared to today. Ahh, the good old days. lol

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Sneakers - 8/10

Had never seen it and saw it was on one of the movie channels so DVR'ed it. Pretty good. Had a little of everything in it, comedy, drama, suspense. The acting was really good. A bit cheesy at times, but that's to be expected in a movie made in '92. It was funny to see the technology used, compared to today. Ahh, the good old days. lol

Love that movie. Vastly underrated and under-appreciated.

MotionMan

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Sneakers - 8/10

A classic :thumbsup:

About once a year I'll fire this one up.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [Blu-ray]
http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Opera-Royal-Albert-Blu-ray/dp/B005SFS4ZU
9/10- about as close to watching it live as it gets, very good production, and the end has all the previous generations casts with andrew loyd webber and of course sarah brightman come in for a final song, not something you'd see normally regardless. Its the 25th anniversary performance so its something special, and when you compare it to the 2004 film, it comes out way ahead in terms of performance. On bluray it just is crystal clear to boot. Sierra Boggess is a superior christine.
sn_100507_the_little_mermaid_sierra_boggess_the_phantom_of_the_opera_2.jpg

tn-500_127886264_8.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJMpy1C9Cnc&feature=related

Last edited:

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Has nobody here seen Killer Elite? I can only find one mention of it in the entire forums. Was it really that bad?

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but i will eventually.

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
Kevin Hart - I'm A Little Grown Man 9/10

A hilarious stand up act... in fact I think it's his best. During the ostrich part I could barley breathe.

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011

It's awful!

Take Shelter - 9/10

Great movie.
I gather some disliked the ending, but i liked the way it was ended.

Watched this myself yesterday. Really enjoyed it, especially the ending. I don't know why people have an issue with it. Actually, that's a lie. It's obvious that the modern audience needs everything spoon fed to them.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
It's awful!

Watched this myself yesterday. Really enjoyed it, especially the ending. I don't know why people have an issue with it. Actually, that's a lie. It's obvious that the modern audience needs everything spoon fed to them.

That isn't why some people disliked the ending

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Killer Elite - 2/10

Total garbage. It was so forgetful the only thing I could tell you about it was that I fell asleep several times and ultimately shut it off.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
In Time - 7/10

Interesting concept: the only currency is time. Once you hit 25, you stop aging and have 1 year to live. You then need to beg, borrow, or steal (time, that is). You pay for everything with time on your "clock" (which is somehow conveniently embedded in your forearm - they never explain how this works, but that's not the point of the film anyway), from your rent to a 0.25 phone call. For instance, a phone call is 1 minute... a high end luxury car is 60 years. Those in the ghetto pretty much live hour to hour, while those in affluent areas have thousands of years on their clocks.

The political undertones are pretty thick and border on forced and contrived, but the general analogy is the disappearance of the middle class and the rich elite holding down the lower class. Since anyone can literally live forever as long as they have enough time, the system is designed to ensure those at the bottom die through manufactured inflation, with the concern being that the rich want the finite resources (food, space, etc) for themselves.

It gets a little long in the middle, but the film does a halfway decent job of setting everything up in the first act and buttoning everything up in the third. If you can suppress a few groans while the film's politics are force fed to you, it's fairly entertaining.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sneakers - 8/10

Awesome movie! :thumbsup:

I disliked the ending of the movie, but for pretty much the exact opposite reason you stated. I would have preferred more ambiguity; I disliked the fact there was a definitive answer in the ending and I would have loved it if it had ended earlier and left everything wide open.

I did like the movie overall and I will watch it again; I have a feeling I will like it more the second time through.

KT

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
we need to talk about kevin 4/10
endless and monotonous...yes we know the kids evil...and one dimensional, drag out for film length

Martha Marcy May Marlene 7/10 weird cult story, entertaining for the acting i guess, but there ins't much there.

kill list 2/10 boring..didn't care. dudes need to kill people, one gets the shakes..low budget boringness.

Nov 7, 2000
The Change-Up - 7.6/10 - Like it. Some clever lines and I laughed a bunch. Downside would be that for some reason I didn't find the characters very likeable, felt more like an outside observer instead of getting roped into the story.

Arthur - 6.8/10 - Much better than I expected and almost even sentimental. Typical and predictable, but decently acted and written.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Beauty and the Beast in 3D - I won't give this one a rating because you should know whether you'll like it or not before you go see it. Few adults would purposely go to the theater to see Beauty and the Beast unless they have children or if they're nostalgic about the movie. But here are my thoughts.

First off, 3D adds absolutely nothing to the movie. I've only seen three movies in 3D - the first was Avatar, which was filmed from the very beginning with 3D in mind, and the second was Hubble 3D (a documentary), which featured a fair amount of really cool "flying through space" CGI and worked well. Hand-drawn animation, though? No, it doesn't work. Looks a bit like a pop-up book.

With that out of the way, Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic. I'm not much of a Disney fan but this is one movie I can enjoy anyway. It's my wife's absolute favorite Disney movie so it was especially fun for her. The movie looks great and it actually made me miss hand-drawn animated movies. All but one of the previews were for CG animated movies and the short film intro was also CG, and as cool as it looks, there's such a thing as too much detail and too much stuff going on at once. Think Star Wars original trilogy vs. prequel trilogy.

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
Primer - 9/10

Not bad for $7000. Pausing the video and drawing a diagram of the central concept halfway through helped to make it clear for everyone.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Primer - 9/10

Not bad for $7000. Pausing the video and drawing a diagram of the central concept halfway through helped to make it clear for everyone.

Amazing movie. The guy who did it is helping Rian Johnson with Looper, which comes out this year. Can't wait!

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Trotsky - 8/10: Jay Baruchel plays a 17 year-old kid from a wealthy family in Montreal who thinks he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky. He ends up attempting to organize a union at his new public school. I had a good amount of fun with this. It's pretty slight, but silly-fun and the premise was pretty solid without being completely absurd and unbelievable. Baruchel, to me, was quite good and carried himself well as a detached Marxist, though I could see how people would find him annoying in the role. Some great supporting characters too. Surprisingly decent Canadian movie.

KT

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Motorama - WTF/10 (7/10)
free on Crackle

I can pretty much guarantee that it's the only movie you'll ever watch where you'll end up feeling that it's the most normal thing in the world for a 10 year old to be driving himself across the country. The movie's surreal.
I was surprised by the number of familiar faces in the cast that goes by: Robert Picardo, John Diehl, Dick Miller, Drew Barrymore, Meat Loaf, Irwin Keyes...
It's a weird, dark ride, and it's pretty well done. The cinematography really pulls the movie together into something that's worth seeing.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Beauty and the Beast in 3D - I won't give this one a rating because you should know whether you'll like it or not before you go see it. Few adults would purposely go to the theater to see Beauty and the Beast unless they have children or if they're nostalgic about the movie. But here are my thoughts.

First off, 3D adds absolutely nothing to the movie. I've only seen three movies in 3D - the first was Avatar, which was filmed from the very beginning with 3D in mind, and the second was Hubble 3D (a documentary), which featured a fair amount of really cool "flying through space" CGI and worked well. Hand-drawn animation, though? No, it doesn't work. Looks a bit like a pop-up book.

With that out of the way, Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic. I'm not much of a Disney fan but this is one movie I can enjoy anyway. It's my wife's absolute favorite Disney movie so it was especially fun for her. The movie looks great and it actually made me miss hand-drawn animated movies. All but one of the previews were for CG animated movies and the short film intro was also CG, and as cool as it looks, there's such a thing as too much detail and too much stuff going on at once. Think Star Wars original trilogy vs. prequel trilogy.
BatB Blu-Ray was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.