NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Spielberg is the kind of director that can take a deeply flawed premise, quazi-relatable actors and turn the whole thing into something you care about. It's the heart that he adds to the direction that makes Spielberg good.

He's not radical, he's not particularly innovative he's not even technically all-together: But he's got heart and it shows through.

I like Salvador Dali
bomb.jpg

Which is why I like Darren Aronofsky

If I was more of a Raphael person:
016Raffaello-SposaliziodellaVergine.jpg

I would be a Spielberg fan.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dollhouse Seasons 1&2 - 8/10 (Netflix): Wow, thoroughly enjoyed this series. Starts as a simple "What if" scenario filled with Moral /Ethical ambiguity which constantly has one guessing as to who the Good/Bad guys are. Then approx half way through Season 1 it hints at a major more disturbing Subplot which is dramatically revealed in the Season 1 finale, albeit still not fully.

Season 2 then steps back from Season 1s' finale and goes through the events that led up to that finale. Season 2 concludes with a finale which is Part 2 of Season 1s' finale, an interesting way to conclude the series.

This series could have been drawn out longer, but as it is it works and it really would likely have turned into a lot of Filler episodes if it had. Plot twists, very good Characters, and a good Pace makes this series a great rollercoaster ride.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
So we instead went out and grabbed Drive - 6/10 and I don't really get what all of the fuss is about. It would drag, and then a little spike in action, then drag some more. I prefer drama over action, but there was little of it here.

I thought it had two pretty disconnected halves with the second being a series of contrived situations. They didn't set up the bad guys' motivations very well.
Firefly's The Train Job --> War Stories is just sooo much better.

Well said.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I get the impression he will at some point. Don't forget he also made some regretful comments regarding the last Indiana Jones movie.

Go see The Grey, if you don't mind something dark and bleak; Sam Worthington is freaking awful, so no way I am seeing Man on a Ledge.

KT

God I hate Sam Worthington so much.

The Grey was great, definitely recommend it, 8.5/10

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Dollhouse Seasons 1&2 - 8/10 (Netflix): Wow, thoroughly enjoyed this series. Starts as a simple "What if" scenario filled with Moral /Ethical ambiguity which constantly has one guessing as to who the Good/Bad guys are. Then approx half way through Season 1 it hints at a major more disturbing Subplot which is dramatically revealed in the Season 1 finale, albeit still not fully.

Season 2 then steps back from Season 1s' finale and goes through the events that led up to that finale. Season 2 concludes with a finale which is Part 2 of Season 1s' finale, an interesting way to conclude the series.

This series could have been drawn out longer, but as it is it works and it really would likely have turned into a lot of Filler episodes if it had. Plot twists, very good Characters, and a good Pace makes this series a great rollercoaster ride.

Joss Whedon didn't take the reigns heavily until the second half because Fox wanted to start the show off stupid and screw Joss.

Season 4 of Breaking Bad 9.5/10

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies - 8/10:
After seeing The Artist this past weekend, I decided to watch this on Netflix. It's by the same director, Michel Hazanavicius, and stars the same two leads, Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo.

This is a spy movie spoof, and I gotta say I found it hilarious. It's along the lines of a Naked Gun; I can't tell if it was actually smarter than a movie like that, or if it was just the French language of it. Either way, I laughed hard and often, as silly as it may have been.

Dujardin is OSS 117, a spy sent to Cairo on a mission to investigate the murder of a fellow spy. A lot of the gags have to deal with Western and Middle Eastern "relations", and how the cocky spy is ignorant of the part of the world he is in. Dujardin, like in The Artist, carries the movie like few actors can. This guy is good

If you're looking for a light comedy, this is it.

OSS 117: Lost in Rio - 7.5/10:
Sequel to the Cairo one, though not really connected. It wasn't as good or funny, but still decent enough. I'd probably amend my rating of the first one to an 8.5, leaving Lost in Rio a point behind.

OSS 117 is sent to Rio to locate an ex-nazi. He teams up with a female Israeli agent who wants to find the same man. His sexism is the basis for a lot of the humor.

I'd strongly recommend the first film, and if you enjoy it, the second one has enough laughs to satisfy.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
OSS 117: Lost in Rio - 7.5/10:
Sequel to the Cairo one, though not really connected. It wasn't as good or funny, but still decent enough. I'd probably amend my rating of the first one to an 8.5, leaving Lost in Rio a point behind.

OSS 117 is sent to Rio to locate an ex-nazi. He teams up with a female Israeli agent who wants to find the same man. His sexism is the basis for a lot of the humor.

I'd strongly recommend the first film, and if you enjoy it, the second one has enough laughs to satisfy.

I've added the first one to my list; I've heard good things on top of your recommendation.

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Asian Girl Swim Team Vs The Undead - 8/10

Um...it's about this asian swim team full of these girls with um..superpowers (of sorts) and they battle zombies. It's kind of over the top and....there's this strange sister lesbian scene...then at some point...you think you've seen it all..but you haven't

(hint: pu$$y lazers +1 star for that).

I've already said to much. If you like oddball foreign B movies, this one is pretty awesome (and I'm guessing even better if you're on some sort of substance). If it wouldn't get me banned, I have the perfect animated GIF of one scene of this movie that I'd use as my icon. Word of warning though, there's quite a bit of asian schoolgirl nudity in it, but if you can get past that..the rest of the movie is..bizaare.

Which reminds me of another one in the same vein that's slightly newer and just as odd:

Mutant Girls Squad

Last edited:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Asian Girl Swim Team Vs The Undead - 8/10

Um...it's about this asian swim team full of these girls with um..superpowers (of sorts) and they battle zombies. It's kind of over the top and....there's this strange sister lesbian scene...then at some point...you think you've seen it all..but you haven't

(hint: pu$$y lazers +1 star for that).

I've already said to much. If you like oddball foreign B movies, this one is pretty awesome (and I'm guessing even better if you're on some sort of substance). If it wouldn't get me banned, I have the perfect animated GIF of one scene of this movie that I'd use as my icon. Word of warning though, there's quite a bit of asian schoolgirl nudity in it, but if you can get past that..the rest of the movie is..bizaare.

Sure it's only kinda? ;)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I finally caved and bought Drive from eBay. Damn Quebecers ruining my movie covers! :mad:

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil - 5/10 - was expecting this to be funnier. it was really pretty bad

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Delicatessen - 6/10, but maybe 8/10 in terms of wacky entertainment value.

While making a cinema classic out of retro post-apocalyptic cannibalism is going to be on the tough side anyway, I generally thought there was too much foreshadowing, to the point that it hurt suspense later on in the movie. Other than giving away too much in the first few minutes, though, it was delightful.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Chronicle - 7.5/10: Surprisingly cool superhero origin movie, or at least two-thirds of a surprisingly cool superhero origin movie. The whole discovery of the object and their powers is awesome and pretty believable as the three friends deal with the discoveries and how they keep getting stronger. Unfortunately it kind of goes off the rails near the end. Most of the acting is fine, nothing too brutal, and while the effects are not perfect, I found most of them to be decent. I'm not sure they needed to do this as a found footage film; it seems there are just too many scenes where they have to establish why the camera is running and not only does that style crumble a bit in the last act, it just seemed unnecessary; I'd rather they would have just shot it traditionally. All that said, I liked it far more than I expected I would.

The Hangover: Part 2 - 5/10: Meh, pretty average and as everyone knows it is nearly a shot for shot remake of the first film, just in Thailand. I really do like Zach Galifinakis and he makes me laugh just being on screen, so I he was enough to keep me going through the whole film, but aside from that, it was pretty flat and dumb.

The Muppets - 8.5/10: Maybe it's a lot of nostalgia, because I've always been a big fan of the Muppets, but I kind of loved this. Lot's of funny gags and little things in the background that made me laugh and even though I'm not generally a fan of singing in movies, I liked most of the songs in this one. Some good cameos too. Just a lot of fun; was nice to see so many of my favourite characters again.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
^ That seems to be the general consensus on Chronicle, which is another movie whose trailer doesn't really do it justice. I'm guessing it will serve its purpose though, and get people to see it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Hell in the Pacific - 8.5/10:
I doubt many people have seen this. I hadn't heard of it until I came across it on Netflix. This seems to be Toshiro Mifune's best American movie, and he co-stars to Lee Marvin. Mifune is a Japanese soldier stranded on an Island during WWII. One day Marvin's character, an American soldier, becomes stranded there as well. Apparently it's a similar premise to None But the Brave, a Sinatra starring/directed movie. It also has some similarities with Cast Away.

The two characters start off as enemies with no ability to speak to each other, and the movie goes on from there. There's nothing too groundbreaking in this film, but it's always fun to see a film with such little dialogue. It was a little strange seeing Mifune as the outsider to Marvin's American hero but I think he was portrayed well. Neither character seemed to be "the bad guy."

If you see seek this out, you must get the DVD with the alternate ending. I'm not sure if there are any versions without it, but I'm guessing any streaming options won't include it

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
M*A*S*H* (series) - 9/10
After hearing about Harry Morgan (RIP), I watched it through starting at season 4, then rewatched the whole series. Definitely one of my favorites even after four runs, though I'm in the Potter/Winchester camp. Blake wasn't bad, but Burns was insufferable as a character (and brought Hot Lips down with him, she got better once he left). I only feel bad that Larry Linville got typecast for the role.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
The Royal Tenenbaums 8/10 - I like Wes Anderson films, don't know why I haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet so I fixed that. It was hard not to think of Bill Murray as Steve Zissou though.

A Scanner Darkly - 7/10 - Heard this was better than most people expected and it was better than I expected. Plot felt okay, the ending worked for me and I think the rotoscoping worked out okay for the film.

Jersey Girl - 6/10 - Not as bad as I was expected, was distinctly Kevin Smith, but was really really heavy handed at times trying to get those emotional tugs. George Carlin was definitely my favorite part of the movie. Was still worth a watch, just probably won't be one I add to the collection or watch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.