NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Why is there so much love for Spielberg? I agree he made a few iconic films back in the day but a lot of that has to do with the period they were released. He's definitely a more than competent director and knows how to put together a good blockbuster but a genius I would say he is not. Even his masterpiece, Shindler's List, suffers from flaws.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Why is there so much love for Spielberg? I agree he made a few iconic films back in the day but a lot of that has to do with the period they were released. He's definitely a more than competent director and knows how to put together a good blockbuster but a genius I would say he is not. Even his masterpiece, Shindler's List, suffers from flaws.
In your opinion which move doesn’t have flaws?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Most of his movies are just not that good IMO and his best is still flawed. That was my point.

His best movie is Jaws, followed by Raiders, then probably Schindler's List, then maybe Minority Report. He also had several other great films, like E.T. (have not seen this in ages, so not sure how it holds up), Close Encounters, Empire of the Sun, Munich (I may be the only one who likes this film, but I think it's great), and Catch Me If You can (such a watchable movie).

Sure he is overly sentimental at times, and he's had some real clunkers, but he has made many awesome and even classic movies. If you dislike all of those movies I listed, well then I don't know what to tell you. :hmm:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Just watched Drive on Blu Ray. God damn it's still so awesome. I think it's definitely the best movie of the year. It will be the most memorable/remembered for sure. Refn is a fucking monster here

^and to the Spielberg discussion, Jaws is such a great movie it more than makes up for any bad movies he's made. And like KT mentioned he's made a lot of other great ones too. His lesser movies get overhyped because of his name, so I think that creates some of the "hate"

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I went to go buy Drive here today, but for some reason the case was DVD size and there was French on the cover, so I walked away. So sad because I wanted to watch it tonight. :(

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
ah that's too bad :/ I got it from Netflix today. I should have checked out any special features before I sealed it back up...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
He's a great businessman. The public adores him because he has marketed himself as a great movie man. Not to detract from the good movies he has made, but it is that business savvy that gets him adoration.

Great filmmakers, that aren't also talented at cronyism, will not get that level of recognition from the general public. While he milks the next censoring of E.T., they will be acting like the artists they are, living on caffeine, trying to get that next film done; and in the process, try to make up for that last film, that they made because they needed the money. When a reporter asks their opinion on something, they will give it, not worrying about what it does to their image. When they go to an awards show, no one but their SOs will do anything to try to make them look good for the cameras (show me a good hands-on producer, director, effects pro, etc., that doesn't look like they belong in a bar or Greatful Dead concert, unless someone else dresses them). Et cetera.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
He's a great businessman. The public adores him because he has marketed himself as a great movie man. Not to detract from the good movies he has made, but it is that business savvy that gets him adoration.

Great filmmakers, that aren't also talented at cronyism, will not get that level of recognition from the general public. While he milks the next censoring of E.T., they will be acting like the artists they are, living on caffeine, trying to get that next film done; and in the process, try to make up for that last film, that they made because they needed the money. When a reporter asks their opinion on something, they will give it, not worrying about what it does to their image. When they go to an awards show, no one but their SOs will do anything to try to make them look good for the cameras. Et cetera.

He has been quite open about how much he regrets editing E.T. Unlike Lucas, he seems to be ok with admitting his mistakes.

KT

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
He has been quite open about how much he regrets editing E.T. Unlike Lucas, he seems to be ok with admitting his mistakes.

KT
That's good, at least. I know some people that have sworn off Spielberg movies because of that. It's like the New Coke crisis: the original brings back happy memories.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
His best movie is Jaws, followed by Raiders, then probably Schindler's List, then maybe Minority Report. He also had several other great films, like E.T. (have not seen this in ages, so not sure how it holds up), Close Encounters, Empire of the Sun, Munich (I may be the only one who likes this film, but I think it's great), and Catch Me If You can (such a watchable movie).

Sure he is overly sentimental at times, and he's had some real clunkers, but he has made many awesome and even classic movies. If you dislike all of those movies I listed, well then I don't know what to tell you. :hmm:

KT

It's the overly sentimental aspect that I don't like. The movies you list are good but I don't really love any of them.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Just watched Drive on Blu Ray. God damn it's still so awesome. I think it's definitely the best movie of the year. It will be the most memorable/remembered for sure. Refn is a fucking monster here

I thought it had two pretty disconnected halves with the second being a series of contrived situations. They didn't set up the bad guys' motivations very well.
Firefly's The Train Job --> War Stories is just sooo much better.

Sep 29, 2004

KT

Then why not re-release it without all the crap thrown in? Re-release the original thatrical cut i ntheaters and I'll take my kids tommorrow.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Man on a Ledge, anyone?

Thinking of killing off the afternoon with the wife and we've had our eye on this one.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Then why not re-release it without all the crap thrown in? Re-release the original thatrical cut i ntheaters and I'll take my kids tommorrow.

I get the impression he will at some point. Don't forget he also made some regretful comments regarding the last Indiana Jones movie.

Man on a Ledge, anyone?

Thinking of killing off the afternoon with the wife and we've had our eye on this one.

Go see The Grey, if you don't mind something dark and bleak; Sam Worthington is freaking awful, so no way I am seeing Man on a Ledge.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.