NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
:( Come on here I need some support so I don't feel like a freak D: :awe:

I absolutely agree with you but to be fair, when I attended/graduated high school, girls didn't look like they do now.

Oh, and I watched Soylant Green last night. My parents insisted I watch it because I'm on a vegan diet currently and they both said, "Oh it's a very vegan movie, you should watch it." Needless to say I caught on to their shenanigans and about 1/2 way through the movie I fucking called it. Oh I called it so hard and it didn't even surprise me. It was an ok movie and I guess I'm just not a Charlton Hestion fan but man it was awkward watching him getting it on with the "furniture". 5/10

*edit* Also, Printer Bandit should also be included in this discussion Locutos ;)

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Incredibly bored, watching DVDs and Netflix with alternate languages (when possible) and even some foreign films.
Realized something I never noticed before, the expression "OK" seems to be damn near universal, at least in western languages.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I absolutely agree with you but to be fair, when I attended/graduated high school, girls didn't look like they do now.

Oh, and I watched Soylant Green last night. My parents insisted I watch it because I'm on a vegan diet currently and they both said, "Oh it's a very vegan movie, you should watch it." Needless to say I caught on to their shenanigans and about 1/2 way through the movie I fucking called it. Oh I called it so hard and it didn't even surprise me. It was an ok movie and I guess I'm just not a Charlton Hestion fan but man it was awkward watching him getting it on with the "furniture". 5/10

*edit* Also, Printer Bandit should also be included in this discussion Locutos ;)

My Printer Bandit?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Strange question. Did anyone feel a bit Pedo Bearish watching Hugo? The girl who is the love interest of the kid in the film is 14 years old and quite cute. But she's just on the edge of being sexually attractive too, not quite but there's something there. Makes you go D: a bit.
It's there. Pay a photographer/photoshopper to sex it up, and you'd get her main IMDB photo:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3707417088/nm1631269

Here's her from a couple months ago, not on the set of a cartoonish movie:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3639849728/nm1631269

Trying to give, "the look," and looking like she aught to wait a few years before trying it again, because she still looks too much like a kid:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm480688640/nm1631269
Marginally succeeding:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3271998208/nm1631269

Bad timing, looking like most any teenager, with too much make-up, in that awkward stage where everything is haphazardly growing:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm985707264/nm1631269

Like Alyssa Milano in the early Who's the Boss days, or Tailor(sp) Swift since becoming famous, her figure hasn't caught up to her body language, and she has the unenviable luck/talent/skill/momager to be growing up in public view.

-

Lola (2001) - 5/10
I wanted to really like this movie. The premise was right up my alley: a spacey wife in a dysfunctional marriage accidentally meets a white trash woman, and tries taking over her life when said white trash woman dies. The problem is really the ending. Not just being open-ended, but that about the last 20 minutes of it completely derailed my suspension of disbelief, with various character actions that just did not make any sense, except, of course, as McGuffins.

Ray - 10/10
What have I been doing putting off watching this movie?!?! Hell, I wanted to tear it apart, but I'll be damned if trying to make red clay and the grass that grows on it look vibrant through use of computer image manipulation is not the one and only thing I can say was not done perfectly. I liked people, I hated people, I teared up when it went south, and they even had the good sense not to make anybody but his mama look like a hero, and not to dwell on the one obvious villain.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2000
Crazy Stupid Love - 7/10 - Probably a 6.5 for first half, 7.5 for second. Dragged early, but came together nicely, even if completely expected. Decent acting, couple funny lines. OK for what it was.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Strange question. Did anyone feel a bit Pedo Bearish watching Hugo? The girl who is the love interest of the kid in the film is 14 years old and quite cute. But she's just on the edge of being sexually attractive too, not quite but there's something there. Makes you go D: a bit.

It's you. That girl is from Kickass & some vamp movie. She's annoying.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
http://gowatchit.com/queue/slayer202

I sucked it up and copied my netflix queue over here. There were a few things that I couldn't find on Watchit, a few more that didn't accurately show the available sources to watch certain things, and it doesn't support TV shows.

I don't see it being very convenient having to go back and add new things I find on netflix. I basically did it so that I have my instant queue saved. Netflix changes as of a few months ago got rid of the saved section where titles no longer available to stream would go. But damn, I added 485 movies but I've got 635 on netflix. That's not very nice

That sounds crappy. I've never streamed a movie, but that seems pretty crappy that Netflix removes titles from your list; it should just grey them out or something.

Ray - 10/10
What have I been doing putting off watching this movie?!?! Hell, I wanted to tear it apart, but I'll be damned if trying to make red clay and the grass that grows on it look vibrant through use of computer image manipulation is not the one and only thing I can say was not done perfectly. I liked people, I hated people, I teared up when it went south, and they even had the good sense not to make anybody but his mama look like a hero, and not to dwell on the one obvious villain.

I've never seen this. May need to add it to my list now, though I'm not much of a Jamie Foxx fan. :hmm:

KT

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I've never seen this. May need to add it to my list now, though I'm not much of a Jamie Foxx fan. :hmm:

KT
I'm not a Jamie Foxx fan, either. When the subject matter is more important than himself, he can mostly disappear (IE, act as well as good character actors). I am a Georgia boy, though, so I might be a touch biased on the rating.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Couple of movies I Redboxed last week:

50/50 - 9/10, really loved the movie, it was charming and funny and didn't get too wrapped up in angst over the prospect of dying from cancer. Which was perfect in the context of the movie; the whole point was to show how people deal with these things and in real life it's not all drama all the time, we use humor to deal with grave illness and it was nice to see that.

The Ides of March - 6/10. I didn't hate it, it was fairly well acted, I just felt a bit underwhelmed. It was plodding, which I suppose is not unexpected for a political drama, but it did feel like it was building up to something big or significant and it sort of fizzled. In the end I felt like it wasn't so much a movie about something as it was a movie whose entire purpose from the start was to deliver its message. It'd be a great movie to assign to my students if I were teaching a film studies class; as entertainment, it could have been a lot better. Probably didn't help that I watched it exactly one day after seeing 50/50, which was a lot more upbeat, fun, and got me emotionally involved.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I Love You Phillip Morris - 8.5/10: Apparently this is based on a true story, though I have no idea how close it is to real life, but regardless I kind of loved this movie. Jim Carrey was perfect as the con man and Ewan McGregor was great as his love interest. I laughed quite a bit, cringed in several parts when Carrey got himself into sticky situations, and was touched by some of the relationship bits. I did find a bit of the narration a bit odd and was not entirely happy with some of the information withheld until later, but overall it was pretty awesome and a fun watch.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I Love You Phillip Morris - 8.5/10: Apparently this is based on a true story, though I have no idea how close it is to real life, but regardless I kind of loved this movie. Jim Carrey was perfect as the con man and Ewan McGregor was great as his love interest. I laughed quite a bit, cringed in several parts when Carrey got himself into sticky situations, and was touched by some of the relationship bits. I did find a bit of the narration a bit odd and was not entirely happy with some of the information withheld until later, but overall it was pretty awesome and a fun watch.

KT

I think I reviewed this movie before. I liked it too, although I felt few thing were too coincidental.. and OTT, to be believable. Ignoring those things, the movie is great; good acting and pretty fast paced too!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think I reviewed this movie before. I liked it too, although I felt few thing were too coincidental.. and OTT, to be believable. Ignoring those things, the movie is great; good acting and pretty fast paced too!

That is definitely true, but I was along for the ride, so it worked ok for me. The 98 minutes flew by!

KT

Sep 29, 2004
Watching Stephen Fry in America. The first episode was very interesting.

8/10

Found it interesting to see him on the thing I help create. Submarines. Surprised how much of the sub they actually let them film. Saw a few other New England places that I have seen or been to.

From wikipedia:
Stephen Fry in America is a six part BBC television series in which Stephen Fry travels across America to reveal a country in which he was almost born. Just before Fry was born, his father was offered a job at Princeton University, in New Jersey, but chose to turn it down in favour of Hampstead. In the six-part series he travels, mostly in a London cab, through all 50 U.S. states of the country that he could have nearly called home and which has always fascinated him.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Kick-Ass - "Why don't you unmask them first, instead of giving them time to escape your henchmen?"/10

No one I know seemed to have watched this movie. I heard very bad things about Wanted. I saw Wanted, and found those bad things to be true. As such, Kick-Ass was, wrongfully, off my radar. What made his Wanted, Kick-Ass, and some of Judge Dredd (haven't read anything else), as, um, paper works, so wonderful was that macabre humor, largely exposing itself below the surface content.

Wanted needed a good script and director who got it (James Gunn comes to mind), rather than the weird seriousness it was made into. Wanted should make people who don't get it hate it for gratuitous violence and lack of morality (they got that halfway right, but it was a bit light on the gore), and make people that do smile--evilly smile. With Kick-Ass, there's that humor, but then also a very overt, Dr. Phibes-like, if you will, funny-but-the-characters-don't-see-it-that-way comedy going on, with comic and 40s-60s gangster movie cliches blended into halfway-plausible character consequences for characters themselves implausible to exist, as comic book characters fantasizing about comic book characters in a comic book...come on, without much more information (like Millar being somewhat involved, and the movie being produced independently, now that I'm going through trivia on IMDB), I expected a ripe steaming Hollywood pile, complete with maggots growing out of it.

With the recent posts in the thread, however, I decided to check it out. Of course I was hooked and laughing by the end of the intro with the cab.

Gritty when it needed to be, but no silly faux-realism, plenty of bright red blood, hilarity, wonderful use of color and perspective, and simply superb sound production, and music selection, it was just plain done right
(using the live Elvis song, with clapping as the last bad guy in the scene went down was whipped cream with a cherry on top!). Cage was simply perfect, as well, as a cheesy driven neurotic father with a cookie-cutter back-story, stuck in his own fantasy.

Unlike Wanted, this movie does justice to Mark Millar's twisted mind.

Last edited:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Haywire - 7/10

I'm probably being a little generous, but I felt a 6/10 would dissuade people from seeing it. It's worth seeing, but there's much less action than you'd expect. The main character is played by some former MMA star who's name I couldn't care less about. She's great eye candy but not a very good actress. The fight scenes play out more like scripted MMA sequences than Bourne-esque dismantlings of the human body... though one in particular was more like the latter and quite pleasing.

Several characters are thrown into the film in an effort to create a complex (read: unnecessarily convoluted) plot, but it doesn't work very well. The characters of Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderes are wholly unnecessary.

I couldn't quite understand why it was rated R (kind of wanted to take my son to see the action, but obviously didn't because of the rating)... then I remembered one scene where they showed someone putting a pillow over someone else's head and pulling the trigger. Shoot that scene just a little differently, and you've got a PG-13 flick no problem. Minus that scene, I wouldn't have had any problem taking my son.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Just noticed that it looks like Aronofsky is no longer slated to direct the next Robocop film. When I saw that before I was stoked. Now.. not so much.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Kick-Ass - *snip*

Ha, nice, glad you liked it. It certainly is much, much better than Wanted. D:

Haywire - 7/10

I'm probably being a little generous, but I felt a 6/10 would dissuade people from seeing it. It's worth seeing, but there's much less action than you'd expect. The main character is played by some former MMA star who's name I couldn't care less about. She's great eye candy but not a very good actress. The fight scenes play out more like scripted MMA sequences than Bourne-esque dismantlings of the human body... though one in particular was more like the latter and quite pleasing.

Several characters are thrown into the film in an effort to create a complex (read: unnecessarily convoluted) plot, but it doesn't work very well. The characters of Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderes are wholly unnecessary.

I couldn't quite understand why it was rated R (kind of wanted to take my son to see the action, but obviously didn't because of the rating)... then I remembered one scene where they showed someone putting a pillow over someone else's head and pulling the trigger. Shoot that scene just a little differently, and you've got a PG-13 flick no problem. Minus that scene, I wouldn't have had any problem taking my son.

Yeah, I felt about the same. I could see myself watching it on TV later, but it's not something I will be rushing out to buy and watch again.

Just noticed that it looks like Aronofsky is no longer slated to direct the next Robocop film. When I saw that before I was stoked. Now.. not so much.

Yeah that happened a while back unfortunately. Hopefully he gets his Noah movie going soon. I'm not a huge bible guy, but I'd definitely like to see Aronofsky's take on that story.

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Yeah that happened a while back unfortunately. Hopefully he gets his Noah movie going soon. I'm not a huge bible guy, but I'd definitely like to see Aronofsky's take on that story.

KT

Hmm didn't know this that might indeed be very interesting. I can imagine his take on Robocop would be epic too, too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.