NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
50/50 - 9/10

Incredible movie. Funny and very moving. I think I'm in love with Anna Kendrick. She looks exactly like my first fiancee, but far less annoying.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sherlock (season 1) - 9/10: The BBC re-imagining of Sherlock in modern day and it's awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect as Sherlock and Martin Freeman is great as his voice of reason, Watson. At 90 minutes per episode (there are only 3 episodes in season 1), they are essentially mini-movies and I think that format works really well for these stories. By the third episode, which to me was the strongest episode, I was really involved with the characters and I can't wait for season 2 particularly because it left things on a cliffhanger.

Just to elaborate further, I also liked how they brought in technology to the stories; enough so that it was believable and the way it shows the text on the screen was very effective. Freeman is the perfect counter to Sherlock, I feel Holmes on his own would become a bit grating, so having Freeman/Watson there to offset is just perfect.

KT

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
50/50 - 9/10

Incredible movie. Funny and very moving. I think I'm in love with Anna Kendrick. She looks exactly like my first fiancee, but far less annoying.

I think she is very cute as well. After watching that movie I was like, "ah shit... me like."

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
not really movies but I'm watching it on Netflix streaming...

Russell Peters: Red, White, and Brown: 9/10 - wow is this stuff hilarious. I'm not a comedy guy usually, but it is 10x better than The Green Card show also on streaming - that was smirk-worthy at best. Do yourself a favor and watch this, again if you have to.

Last edited:

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
The Change-Up, 7/10

Funny, predictable movie - just as you'd expect. My major gripe with it is the Leslie Mann nude scenes. Were they even real? They looked completely airbrushed or CGI. Sometimes a see things in 1080p that I really don't want to see.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Cars 2 - 2/10

Horrible horrible movie... wtf, characters looked same but everything was sooooo far away from the original. There was nothing similar, I HATED the movie, Disney lost its mind. :mad:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I have not seen any trailers, but yeah, surprisingly I've heard good things about The Grey and am going to try and catch it this weekend if I can.

KT

i saw a trailer of it the other night and I have no idea what its about other than a Liam Neeson in the snow vs. a wolf?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i saw a trailer of it the other night and I have no idea what its about other than a Liam Neeson in the snow vs. a wolf?

Yeah, I think he ends up lost in the wild and has to make it back to civilization while kicking the shit out of nature. Lots of blood and guts apparently. :hmm:

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The Good, The Bad, The Weird (Joheunnom nabbeunnom isanghannom) - 8/10: Kim Jee-woon's Kimchi Western that is actually a fun play on the Spaghetti Western. There are some great action sequences and I liked most of the characters, particularly The Weird, played by Kang-ho Song who is awesome in everything (can't believe how many great movies he's been in) and his relationship with The Good was well done. I did find it was too long at 130 minutes; it honestly could have shaved 15-20 minutes off easily, but I liked it aside from that.

KT

yeah, it's a good one. I think I watched this on Netflix streaming awhile back and ended up buying the Blu-Ray.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Help - 7/10: An absolutely awful first 20 minutes or so is saved once things get rolling after the first half hour. Sure, you pretty much know where everything is going, and it is definitely far too long, but about 20-30 minutes, but I'd be lying if I said I did not like it. There is one plot point, about the special pie, which seems to dominate the latter parts of the movie, which was also kind of weird, but the film was well put together and the performances were quite good throughout. Not amazing by any stretch, but definitely watchable. Oh and I really do love Jessica Chastain, she is the best thing in the movie.

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
What? You mean there are movies that you watch and actually enjoy? :eek:

Wait wait, even more...you bought something you already watched for practically free?? OMG. Quick someone delete that post. It goes against everything the movie industry stands for.

To stay on topic:

True Romance - 9/10 - I've watched it probably 100's of times, but damn it's still a good movie. Pulled it out and watched it again last night. I need a new version though, my DVD of it doesn't hold up well to upscaling.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ponti posts all kinds of movies he likes in here, not really sure what you guys are on about.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm going to give it an 8. The subject matter was just so compelling given how this wasn't all that long ago. Not a dry eye in the house.

Didn't you find it too long and a little too on point in parts? I mean I guess that second thing is to be expected, but a little bit more editing and some subtlety would have gone a long way to increasing my enjoyment of the film.

KT

Nov 7, 2000
Animal Kingdom - 8.0/10 - Great little Australian drama. Often I find myself bored with dramas, but not this one

The Debt - 7.0/10 - Could have been much better, some of the later plot elements confused me, or perhaps Im just not reading between the lines well enough. Well acted just not very tidy to me near the end.

Fast Five - 7.0/10 - Disappointed, only because I had be lead to believe it would be better. Havent seen any since the original. Basically a heist movie, which is hard to screw up for me. Paul Walker is near the top of my terrible-actor-that-still-gets-jobs lists, and this movie didn't change that opinion. Really didn't mind any of the other characters and the Brazilian policewoman actually shined. Unfortunately the writers gave none of the characters any decent dialog. I don't mind over the top action, but I do get irked when the basic laws of physics are ignored. Eg., I'll accept it when the good guy gets 10000 rounds fired at him from professional bad guys without getting hit, but I don't like seeing people
jump hundreds of feet and land in water without ill-effect - thats what peopel do to commit suicide..

Status
Not open for further replies.