NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
haven't seen it yet(either. both on my queue), but Election has a sequel, Triad Election, if you didn't know. Netflix thinks I'll like it even more than the original.

I'd love to see Shame or Outrage or The Artist or A Dangerous Method but not this week apparently.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh wow, not sure how I missed that. Moved it to the top of my list!

Yeah the only one of those playing here this weekend is The Artist, which I will be seeing again. I do want to see all of those at some point though, particularly Shame.

KT

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Punisher: War Zone - 7/10: Huh, very surprisingly kind of enjoyed this movie. It definitely has some bad, cheesy parts, but I liked Ray Stevenson as The Punisher and this actually felt a lot like the comics which I used to read when I was a little kid. Dominic West was appropriately over the top as Jigsaw, as was the guy who played his crazy brother. As a straight up comic action flick, it was a pretty good time and I was very happy to have lots of blood, guts, and f-bombs. Has anyone seen any of the other Punisher films? Worth watching any of them?

Splinter - 8.5/10: Awesome creature flick! Surrounds one couple taken hostage by another couple who all get trapped in a gas station when some weird, splintery creature starts coming after them. The creature design and effects were awesome and I thought the acting was surprisingly decent. Good tension, some great deaths, and while there was a bit of crappy dialogue near the end, plus a bit of a contrived attempt at generating sympathy for a particular character, it was not enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the film. Quality watch for horror fans like me.

KT

All the other Punisher films are pants compared to the one you saw. War Zone is fucking hilarious! So many awesome scenes.... movies like this are successful when they don't take themselves seriously. I love the dynamic between Castle and the black FBI agent. Every time Castle kills a suspect, "GOD DAMN IT FRANK!" :biggrin:

Splinter was REALLY good for it being filmed @ one location, with no-name actors and a limited budget. The special effect were fucking brilliant..... and you are right about the problems with it and that they don't really detract from enjoying the film.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
All the other Punisher films are pants compared to the one you saw. War Zone is fucking hilarious! So many awesome scenes.... movies like this are successful when they don't take themselves seriously. I love the dynamic between Castle and the black FBI agent. Every time Castle kills a suspect, "GOD DAMN IT FRANK!" :biggrin:

Splinter was REALLY good for it being filmed @ one location, with no-name actors and a limited budget. The special effect were fucking brilliant..... and you are right about the problems with it and that they don't really detract from enjoying the film.

Yeah P:WR was a crazy movie, but in a good way. I actually listened to the director, Lexi Alexander, on How Did This Get Made? and she was awesomely candid about the whole thing; made me like the movie even more to be honest. Apparently Freddie Prinz Jr. was going to be Jigsaw at one point. :hmm:

Yep, Splinter will go into the horror rotation at my place. Very well done.

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Oh wow, not sure how I missed that. Moved it to the top of my list!

Yeah the only one of those playing here this weekend is The Artist, which I will be seeing again. I do want to see all of those at some point though, particularly Shame.

KT

Shame looks promising. Michael Fassbender can be such a great actor.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Case 39 - 3/10: Renee Zelwegger stars in this hunk of poo which starts as a thriller and becomes a horror flick.

For the first 20 minutes, there's some promise as we root for Renee to rescue a little girl from her terrible home life. Only later do we learn that
the little girl driven her parents mad because she's the spawn of Satan. Literally.
How many times has this been done before? Nothing new to see here. The only saving grace is the
quasi-campy twist it takes as the story comes to a close.
Actually I'm not even sure that was done on purpose. Unintentional comedy? And it's not enough to make this watchable. Skip it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Cave of Forgotten Dreams(which is now on netflix streaming) - 6/10:

Made it through about 40 minutes before me and the gf turned it off. So boring...The cave is such an amazing place, and I know they were limited in how much access they had, but damn I was disappointed. Herzog's narration as I've come to realize, is bad. If he didn't feel the need to insert himself into his docs they would be better. The rest was boring too. Hearing the supposed scientists talk about the cave was uninteresting.

His doc before this, Encounters at the End of the World, was more of the same. An interesting place that wasn't explored properly. I haven't seen his most famous, Grizzly Man, nor his new one that looks very good, Into the Abyss. I loved his non-doc Bad Lieutenant, and Rescue Dawn was pretty good too. His latest from 2009 which I've never heard of, My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done, stars Michael Shannon. I'll search the thread, KT maybe you've seen it. Didn't get very good reviews.

I might skim through the rest just to see if theres anything interesting, but I think I might be done with Herzog documentaries...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Wedding Crashers - 7/10 - Entertaining rom-com. Rachel McAdams is hot and made it much more worth watching. Interesting cameo by Will Ferrell.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Garden State - 7/10: I think I'm the only person among my friends who hadn't seen this. It was cute. Not life-changing but cute. Completely predictable, but still enjoyable.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Island of Lost Souls - 8.5/10: 1932 adaptation of H.G. Wells' 1896 novel The Island of Doctor Moreau, about a mad scientist performing experiments on a secluded island. This was a pretty awesome movie; it had a very effective creepy atmosphere which is helped a lot by the off-putting Dr. Moreau, played awesomely by Charles Laughton, and the fantastic make-up effects on a lot of the creatures; the make-up was quite impressive on many of the individuals, considering it was from 1932. There were some scenes that definitely had me tense and you really end up torn between the different conflicts happening on the island. The Criterion Blu looks good for the most part, though some of the shots, mainly the ones of the sea, were very muddy and you could see some flaws from the original print, but that's to be expected. Great movie and if you have an appreciation for classic horror/sci-fi, it is a must watch; at 70 minutes long, it's not much of time investment either.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Shame looks promising. Michael Fassbender can be such a great actor.

He's amazing. Could be my favourite current actor.

Case 39 - 3/10: Renee Zelwegger stars in this hunk of poo which starts as a thriller and becomes a horror flick.

For the first 20 minutes, there's some promise as we root for Renee to rescue a little girl from her terrible home life. Only later do we learn that
the little girl driven her parents mad because she's the spawn of Satan. Literally.
How many times has this been done before? Nothing new to see here. The only saving grace is the
quasi-campy twist it takes as the story comes to a close.
Actually I'm not even sure that was done on purpose. Unintentional comedy? And it's not enough to make this watchable. Skip it.

Heh, thanks. I usually check out most horror/thriller flicks, but I've removed this one from the list. Was on the fence with it anyway, so now I know not to waste my time.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams(which is now on netflix streaming) - 6/10:

Made it through about 40 minutes before me and the gf turned it off. So boring...The cave is such an amazing place, and I know they were limited in how much access they had, but damn I was disappointed. Herzog's narration as I've come to realize, is bad. If he didn't feel the need to insert himself into his docs they would be better. The rest was boring too. Hearing the supposed scientists talk about the cave was uninteresting.

His doc before this, Encounters at the End of the World, was more of the same. An interesting place that wasn't explored properly. I haven't seen his most famous, Grizzly Man, nor his new one that looks very good, Into the Abyss. I loved his non-doc Bad Lieutenant, and Rescue Dawn was pretty good too. His latest from 2009 which I've never heard of, My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done, stars Michael Shannon. I'll search the thread, KT maybe you've seen it. Didn't get very good reviews.

I might skim through the rest just to see if theres anything interesting, but I think I might be done with Herzog documentaries...

This movie is a bit of a slog; I liked it because of the cave, but it became quite repetitive after a while. I like Happy People a lot better as the characters were far more interesting and had some life to them.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
the cave really is amazing, and so is the surrounding area. I'm not sure how you could turn that amazingness into such a boring movie, but Herzog did it :/ I really want to like his docs but so far they don't draw me in. I'm tempted to watch the rest of it, hoping it gets better, but idk. Into the Abyss seems like it has a great subject, but if it's like the other two I've seen, I'm wary :(

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Dinner for Schmucks - 4.5/10: Meh, pretty average. I like Paul Rudd a lot, but I found Steve Carell's character way too annoying. Annoying can be funny, like Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber or even The Cable Guy, but Carell does not pull it off (could be the writing). I also found it weird that the actual dinner is not until the end, it's all a lot of long, drawn out build-up. I did laugh in a few parts early on, but by the end I was kind of bored.

I'm a big Paul Rudd fan, but detest Steve Carell in comedy roles. He was tolerable in 40yo Virgin and he's been good in dramatic roles. I haven't seen "Schmucks" yet, but have it in my DVR. Should I bother watching it just for Rudd? Or just delete it?

Leaving Las Vegas - 10/10: I don't hold the 10 standard as highly as a lot of you, but here's my general rule: when a film can make me literally stop the perception of my own reality and take me inside another place for 2 hours, and I enjoy it, that's a 10. Any number of things can get in the way - shit script, bad acting, unbelievable story, stupid plot - and for that I take off points.

As you can see here, Leaving Las Vegas gets no demerits. I don't recall Elisabeth Shue as being so awesome in this, but she really is. What a great role and great job.

And of course this is probably Nicholas Cage's finest performance, but really, how far off of his own experience can this be? The guy seems to be fucking nuts, so is it surprising that he completely nails the role of suicidal drunk? Not really.
If you enjoyed LLV, I'd recommend Adaptation. It is really the only other role I've seen Nick Cage in that he actually looked like a legitimate actor. I would put his performance in it right up along side with his performance in LLV.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Buried - 9/10: I fell asleep the first time I watched this in the dark but had some more time today to finish it - Ryan Reynolds did such an amazing job with portraying his emotions and the script was great too. The ending was somewhat expected but it's definitely the most fitting.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
If you enjoyed LLV, I'd recommend Adaptation. It is really the only other role I've seen Nick Cage in that he actually looked like a legitimate actor. I would put his performance in it right up along side with his performance in LLV.
This is one I've been meaning to see forever but haven't yet. Good news: next week we're going to my Dad's and I remember my brother bought it for him for Christmas a couple years back. Thanks for reminding me! :)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
the cave really is amazing, and so is the surrounding area. I'm not sure how you could turn that amazingness into such a boring movie, but Herzog did it :/ I really want to like his docs but so far they don't draw me in. I'm tempted to watch the rest of it, hoping it gets better, but idk. Into the Abyss seems like it has a great subject, but if it's like the other two I've seen, I'm wary :(

Well if you don't like his style, then you will likely not enjoy most of his docs. I have not seen Into The Abyss yet, but I liked Happy People a fair amount. Not sure you would though, since it has a similar style to most of his work (he did not direct Happy People, he only narrates it, but it definitely feels like a Herzog doc).

I'm a big Paul Rudd fan, but detest Steve Carell in comedy roles. He was tolerable in 40yo Virgin and he's been good in dramatic roles. I haven't seen "Schmucks" yet, but have it in my DVR. Should I bother watching it just for Rudd? Or just delete it?

Carell will probably have you turning it off in about 20 minutes or so. Rudd is good as always, but Carell's character is obnoxious to the point where it kind of ruins the movie.

KT

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Horrible Bosses - 8/10

X-Men First Class - 8/10

Thor - 8/10

Harry Potter 7, Part 2 - 9/10

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Carell will probably have you turning it off in about 20 minutes or so. Rudd is good as always, but Carell's character is obnoxious to the point where it kind of ruins the movie.

I'll skip it then and just delete it. I was hoping the commercials just played up Carell and the movie wasn't actually that bad. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback

Nov 7, 2000
Buried - 7.1/10 - Interesting. Reynolds did well for what it was. Had a hard time hearing the other end of the phone calls some times which annoyed me. Couple annoying plot things. Actually watched a few weeks ago... already fuzzy.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001

KT

Never got into The Office but I liked him on The Daily Show. And he was quite good in Little Miss Sunshine. He was OK in 40 year old Virgin. I have to admit not knowing his other rolls. But I can see him getting obnoxious.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Never got into The Office but I liked him on The Daily Show. And he was quite good in Little Miss Sunshine. He was OK in 40 year old Virgin. I have to admit not knowing his other rolls. But I can see him getting obnoxious.

I really couldn't stand his Office character. Overplayed in my opinion. He was good in Little Miss Sunshine, you're correct, and was quite good in Dan in Real Life. Small roles, but funny in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty. Only other movie I've seen him act in was Date Night...and he wasn't as obnoxious in that either.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Let's see when I get to it. Hopefully tonight but I've been dead tired the last couple weeks. Excited for it

6474060581_0f457100cf_b.jpg

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
^^ freakin' sweet! Hope you like it.

The Nines - 7.5/10: I liked this quite a bit for the first 85% or so of the movie, but by the end I was little unsure of what I thought about it. This is probably Ryan Reynolds' best role; he does some different things here that I have not seen him do before and I was kind of impressed. The rest of the casting was great, if not a bit unusual. The story was very interesting, but as I said, the resolution of everything left me confused and even a bit annoyed. I'll probably watch this one again as I think I could end up liking it a lot. I won't say much else in case someone else ends up watching it.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
well that's a lot to think about.

I liked it. I definitely liked Take Shelter more, but this was pretty different and also quite good. I need to sleep on it before I post my full thoughts though. Thanks for the recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.