NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Horrible Bosses - 7/10 - some funny parts, ok overall. Jennifer Anniston is smoking hot though.

Boring movie... just not funny @ all. Farrell and Spacey were good, but they weren't main characters. Sudekis and Bateman just aren't that good. The dude from Always Sunny didn't fit his role, but he is usually awesome. Aniston was just a typical "hot girl".

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Boring movie... just not funny @ all. Farrell and Spacey were good, but they weren't main characters. Sudekis and Bateman just aren't that good. The dude from Always Sunny didn't fit his role, but he is usually awesome. Aniston was just a typical "hot girl".

Yup, horrible movie.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
It's entirely possible I reviewed this one in the older thread and just don't remember doing it...but in any case, here goes. Possibly round 2.

Leaving Las Vegas - 10/10: I don't hold the 10 standard as highly as a lot of you, but here's my general rule: when a film can make me literally stop the perception of my own reality and take me inside another place for 2 hours, and I enjoy it, that's a 10. Any number of things can get in the way - shit script, bad acting, unbelievable story, stupid plot - and for that I take off points.

As you can see here, Leaving Las Vegas gets no demerits. I don't recall Elisabeth Shue as being so awesome in this, but she really is. What a great role and great job.

And of course this is probably Nicholas Cage's finest performance, but really, how far off of his own experience can this be? The guy seems to be fucking nuts, so is it surprising that he completely nails the role of suicidal drunk? Not really.

I will go back and watch this movie. I constantly read this as recommended, but just dismiss it because it has Cage in it.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I will go back and watch this movie. I constantly read this as recommended, but just dismiss it because it has Cage in it.

He was also good in Bad Lieutenant.. he did the crazy detective role this time. Good movie.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
True Grit - 7/10

The cinematography and sound work were done very well, as was the acting, though at times I kept thinking "that's Matt Damon" which normally isn't a good thing. Maybe I just have something against him - but I like him in other movies.

For some reason, though, I just couldn't empathize with any of the characters, especially the girl. I think they made her too tough and so it becomes hard to share her loss.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
True Grit - 7/10

The cinematography and sound work were done very well, as was the acting, though at times I kept thinking "that's Matt Damon" which normally isn't a good thing. Maybe I just have something against him - but I like him in other movies.

For some reason, though, I just couldn't empathize with any of the characters, especially the girl. I think they made her too tough and so it becomes hard to share her loss.

The problem with being TOO famous is people start seeing the actor, not the character.

Tom Cruise definitely has that problem. Only time I was able to avoid such thoughts was in Collateral, probably because he was the bad guy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, and way too many similarities with Major League, which came out the same year.

Voodoo/cultist player. Overly Christian player. Crusty old catcher, who tries to fix a young dumb pitcher with too much power and not enough control. Even crustier older coach with foul mouth. Young dumb sluts, older women who think they're smart and mess with guys heads. Catcher trying to regain former glory by hitting again. Etc. etc.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
The problem with being TOO famous is people start seeing the actor, not the character.

Tom Cruise definitely has that problem. Only time I was able to avoid such thoughts was in Collateral, probably because he was the bad guy.

All actors do indeed have this problem as they get more famous. But a lot of it has to do with what they are known for. If it's looks >>>>>>>> acting ability like Cruise in 99% of what he does then it really stands out. If the actor is known more for being a great actor then one can suspend their disbelief for longer. though casting is a very very very important factor here.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000

+1 to Locut0s, though. I was highly impressed with Cruise in The Last Samurai, FI, but that is one of a very few movies where he's more the character than he is Tom Cruise. Now, in some movies, he was cast well, even cast as The Tom Cruise(tm), such as Born on the Fourth of July, but he never completely disappears into a character. Matt Damon definitely also has that kind of thing going on, along with Mark Wahlberg.

IMO, Christian Bale, Milla Jovovich, Charlize Theron, and Martin Sheen are among the best at having a likable charisma, and taking advantage of the spotlight (IE, being movie stars), yet not letting that get in the way of the suspension of disbelief.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I think it's just that a lot of people think matt damon is douchey. If you don't like an actor, you aren't going to believe their acting. Other times, egos get in the way, or actors just change.

Sep 29, 2004
Android 5/10

A fairly good movie that has enough stupid moments to irritate. The ending was very confusing. Basically about androids evolving to have emotion.

Save your time unless you like bad sci fi

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 8/10 Clever, suspenseful, and hilarious. Great movie with great casting. Kilmer and Downey Jr. were both at their best. There was so much great dialogue in this film, I can't wait to watch it again to nail some of the quotes.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Touching the Void - 8.5/10 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

Pretty amazing story; great cinematography. The dramatic reenactments were well done. Not too much emotion shown from the 3 main subjects during their retelling of the story, other than one of them. To me it seems like they would show a little more after going into such detail of what happened.

I really enjoyed this, and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Oh, and don't read the synopsis; I feel that it gives a little too much away. It's pretty clear that they both live through the ordeal, though, as they are both interviewed very early on into the film.

This should be enough of a description - "The true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985."

Last edited:

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Winnebago Man - 9/10: Documentary about Internet phenomenon "Angriest Man in the World" and 1989 Winnebago industrial commercial "star" Jack Rebney. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ

I couldn't have been more skeptical about how any filmmaker could keep me interested in the history of and man behind one of the more famous viral videos of all time, but Ben Steinbauer did. Hilarious and touching, I loved this 90-minute gem I found on Epix on demand by accident.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Coffee & Cigarettes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379217/
7/10

Very very well made, the awkwardness was most real. Also, the humor was great.
It has no story or plot really, so it's not so much a "movie" as it is a series of loosely linked short videos.....

Best scene was with the Wu Tang Clan and Bill Murry IMO.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Changeling - 6.5/10: This is the 1980 film with George C. Scott and follows him as a man who recently lost his family and ends up renting an old spooky house that has some sort ghostly things happening inside. The very opening of the film was great, but the next 30-45 minutes kind of dragged, even when it was supposed to be creating all kinds of tension as Scott starts to uncover things in the house. The final act of the film, while having a somewhat convoluted explanation for things, actually worked much better, but overall I was not all that interested or impressed by the film. I think one of the problems is Scott himself; he's great as an actor, but he's almost too strong of a guy and you never feel he is really in danger. Someone a little bit meeker may have helped up the scares in this film.

Valhalla Rising - 3.5/10: Ugh, what a disappointment. I was pretty stoked for a Nicolas Winding Refn viking movie and while it looked very cool in many parts, it was almost nonsensical to me. I honestly had no idea what the hell was going on for large parts of it and by the end, I was wondering what had just transpired. Seeing these rough vikings and christians beat the crap out of each other was cool and I think there could have been something great here, but lacking that coherent narrative made it kind of boring. I also was quite disappointed by the CGI blood; the rest of the film looked pretty awesome and gritty, but the fake blood was so obvious that it was distracting. Blah.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 8/10 Clever, suspenseful, and hilarious. Great movie with great casting. Kilmer and Downey Jr. were both at their best. There was so much great dialogue in this film, I can't wait to watch it again to nail some of the quotes.

Super fun movie! Such a pleasant surprise. Apparently Shane Black is writing & directing Iron Man 3; hopefully that helps the film a bit.

Touching the Void - 8.5/10 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

Pretty amazing story; great cinematography. The dramatic reenactments were well done. Not too much emotion shown from the 3 main subjects during their retelling of the story, other than one of them. To me it seems like they would show a little more after going into such detail of what happened.

I really enjoyed this, and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Oh, and don't read the synopsis; I feel that it gives a little too much away. It's pretty clear that they both live through the ordeal, though, as they are both interviewed very early on into the film.

This should be enough of a description - "The true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985."

Amazing movie! I think I rated it even higher than you. Definitely agree on the synopsis part. I really loved how this film was composed.

Winnebago Man - 9/10: Documentary about Internet phenomenon "Angriest Man in the World" and 1989 Winnebago industrial commercial "star" Jack Rebney. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ

I couldn't have been more skeptical about how any filmmaker could keep me interested in the history of and man behind one of the more famous viral videos of all time, but Ben Steinbauer did. Hilarious and touching, I loved this 90-minute gem I found on Epix on demand by accident.

Yeah, pretty fun little documentary. Not sure I liked it quite as much as you, but it was good.

Coffee & Cigarettes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379217/
7/10

Very very well made, the awkwardness was most real. Also, the humor was great.
It has no story or plot really, so it's not so much a "movie" as it is a series of loosely linked short videos.....

Best scene was with the Wu Tang Clan and Bill Murry IMO.

I really need to see more Jarmusch films. I own two that I have not seen, so I really must get on it. This one has been on my list for quite a while too.

KT

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Yeah, pretty fun little documentary. Not sure I liked it quite as much as you, but it was good.
I think I overvalue documentaries. Not sure why, but I tend to fall in love with every documentary that can hold my attention for > 90 minutes. Maybe it's because I'm creeping up on 40... :)

On a movie viewing rampage lately. Tonight it was:

Bridesmaids - 7/10: This movie completely exceeded my expectations in every way. Sure it's kind of chickly, but it's still definitely fun and at times laugh-out-loud hilarious. Melissa McCarthy was LMAO funny and IMO stole the show.

Kristen Wiig's character transcended annoying and bordered on fingernails-on-chalkboard intolerable, but fortunately most of the ridiculous scenes are saved by some comic relief, usually at the hands of Megan (McCarthy).

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Just watched 'The Captains' on Netflix - which is the William Shatner film of interviews with the actors who have been in Star Trek as Captains - Patrick Stewart - Avery Brooks - Kate Mulgrew - Scott Bakula and Chris Pine....

It's rather good, even if Shat's ego tends to overflow a bit....

an 8 out of 10...

Also watched Ridley Scott's final cut of Blade Runner on Blu-ray - oh my gosh - simply a 10...

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Tower Heist 7.5/10

Good popcorn flick. Has more of a blue collar oceans 11 feel. Wife and I really enjoyed it. But we haven't been to the movies in a LONG time.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Take the Money and Run - 7/10:
Woody Allen's first self written/directed feature film. It's in the same style as Zelig, but this one is better imo. It's not an artificially aged black and white, and there are more "real" scenes. This is also funnier than Zelig.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, and I'm not sure I even want to. I'm not a big fan of the style, even though there are some funny gags. And wow, is Janet Margolin HOT.

If you liked Zelig, or if you thought it was ok, I'd suggest watching this. I got the DVD from netflix(I wanted shotgun stories first, grrr) because it looked decent and because it was Woody's first, but it's nothing special. Maybe it was unique and original for the time period, I'm not sure

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
apparently midnight in paris has made it's way back to some theaters around here. nothing new this week though. bleh. well, except The Yellow Sea, which is by the same director who did The Chaser. I'm not sure my girlfriend would want to sit through that though, it's 2:20+ I believe. And it's at a theater I never go to

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
^^ yeah, it's slim pickings out there this weekend. I have stuff to catch up with, but not sure I'll have the time.

Letters From Iwo Jima - 4/10: I heard this was the good one of the two companion Eastwood films, but man, I thought it was pretty boring and just chocked full of war movie cliches (the maverick general, the civilian thrust into war forced to show his mettle, dissent in the ranks/power struggle) which is fine if they are shown in an interesting way, but here they were not at all. I liked a few of the preparation scenes and the General himself was a decent enough character, but the rest of the film was pretty damn boring and predictable. It did not even look all that great. I'd much rather re-watch The Thin Red Line or even Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

Election (Hak se wui) - 8.5/10: Awesome movie from Johnnie To about a Hong Kong triad electing a new leader, then all of the ramifications surrounding it when two individuals vie for leadership. There are so many great characters here and the story takes them all and interweaves them perfectly. It starts as an almost political thriller, turns into a chase movie, then goes back to the political side of things. There is good action and lots of quality intrigue. My only real complaint is the multiple endings; the end seemed to happen a few times, so it dragged a bit for the last 10 minutes, but aside from that, great movie!

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.