NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Let the right one in - 9/10

Eat shit, Twilight.

I am not a fan of vampires at all, but this movie surprised me a lot. There is not much dialogue in this movie.. and absolutely no cheap thrills. I also connected a lot with that boy.. as I was almost always on the receiving side of bullying. This is not just a good vampire movie, but an awesome well rounded movie.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I will add my Drax picks.

#1 Sunshine, Great movie I really enjoy the feel of the movie and the soundtrack. (8/10)
#2 Moon, This is one of those movies that did not seem to get much press I highly recommend watch this. Sam Rockwell really can act. 9/10
#3 Monsters this is one of those SciFi flicks that is not for the ADD crowd, it is slow paced and very atmospheric really enjoyable move and great soundtrack. 9/10
#4 Skyline. Panned by so many critics that I missed it on the big screen. Big mistake I accidentally saw this flick on netflix. Watch it with an open mind, this movie has a claustrophic impending doom feel to it and if we were invaded by aliens I think this is how we would end up, this is not ID4. 7/10

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Hugo - 9/10:
Built from a love and inspiration of film, Scorcese gives us something truly unique. I'm not sure how similar this was to the book, but I'm sure Scorcese deserves most of the credit here.

I probably would have seen this in 2D, but I had some fandango credit that I needed to use up, so I went for 3D, and I was happy that I did. It was very well done, it really helped pull me into the story, and everything looked great. I'd recommend the 3D if you don't mind spending the extra money.

I won't get into the plot, but it's a very touching story, and very fun. I really enjoyed it a whole lot

Meek's Cutoff - 4/10:
Ugh. I saw this a few days ago and it was such a load of junk I haven't even spent a second remembering it, so I've forgotten to review it.

The movie is about a group of settlers who are lost in Oregon. Think Oregon Trail, but the whole movie takes place during the time that the game fast forwards. There is nothing of substance here.

I give the movie 2 points for trying to be different. Another 2 points for Michelle Williams' role. I didn't even know it was her until I just looked it up, but she was the lone bright spot in this movie, she was great. Everyone else was severely miscast or misused, terrible. All the scenes at night were unbearable. Even the audio was poor. Had to crank the volume to hear the dialogue, while being hammered with the rare sound effect.

This movie was well received by critics, but it was one of the worst things I've seen in a long time. I was tired when I watched it, so maybe I didn't feel any of the intensity the movie was supposedly based on, but I think it was just very poorly done.

Harold and Maude - 8/10:
Watched this just a little while ago after getting home from Hugo. Hilarious movie. It's about a death obsessed young man who develops a relationship with an 80 year old woman. I guess you would call it a dark comedy but it's clearly funny; It has some nice themes too. Glad I watched it

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Let the right one in - 9/10

Eat shit, Twilight.

I am not a fan of vampires at all, but this movie surprised me a lot. There is not much dialogue in this movie.. and absolutely no cheap thrills. I also connected a lot with that boy.. as I was almost always on the receiving side of bullying. This is not just a good vampire movie, but an awesome well rounded movie.

Excellent film. I watched a bit of the American remake 'Let me in', and didn't understand why they bothered to make it. It wasn't terrible, but seemed kind of redundant.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Descendents - 5/10
Bleh. I didn't like this at all. In fact I disliked it. I found it boring and unmoving.

There was really nothing that I liked about this. There were a few funny lines but all felt forced. I don't think i've seen any other of Payne's movies but I hope they are better than this. I'd skip it for sure. If I wasn't packed in with senior citizens at my 3:45 showing I might have walked out

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Limitless (2011) - 8.5/10: Bradley Cooper stars as a down on his luck, everyman, wannabe-writer who's life is turned on its head by a chance meetup with his ex-brother-in-law.

Really liked this one probably more than I should have. One of the things I really liked about it was I think the story could have gone in any number of different directions to tie things up at the end, and any of them would've been just fine.

Only problems I had with it were the
eagerness with which his GF takes him back, time after time (yeah right), and also how the murder-during-a-blackout
angle was dealt with. It became kind of an afterthought...curious how that went in the book.

I Love You, Philip Morris - 7/10:Cute gay love story/comedy. I laughed a lot during this movie. Very funny. Definitely has a Sunday-night-network TV movie of the week feel to it, just with male on male buttsex and rated R.

Gets a little slow at times, and the way they portray
getting out of/escaping from prison is kind of stupid.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Horrible Bosses - 7/10 - some funny parts, ok overall. Jennifer Anniston is smoking hot though.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I did watch 3 movies over the long weekend.

1. Immortal 3D - 7.5/10. Should be 7 but extra .5 point for females hotness (Zeus' blondie daugther and the Oracle with nudie butt - body double I think). Wanna be 300 but not as good, some cheesy lines and hard to understand what they said. Plenty of s-l-o-w motion choping and hacking violent and the 3D was well done.

2. Hugo - 8/10. Very decent but I did not think it was all that good as critics said it is.

3. Twilight -Breaking Dawn -6/10. The worse of the franchise and I did watch all of them from the beginning. The first hour or so was too freaking long about the freaking wedding. I would give it a 5 but there were two hot female characters still in there (the short dark hair vampire that could see the future and the female friend of Bella - both of them were so cute). Oh and the house of the vampire family. Goodness I LOOOOVEEE that house. Sooooo perfect. Did I mention about the house? Hehehehe.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Damn, pretty excited to see Hugo now. I've heard nothing but good things here and elsewhere.

Got busy in the SW:TOR beta, so only watched two things:

Dinner for Schmucks - 4.5/10: Meh, pretty average. I like Paul Rudd a lot, but I found Steve Carell's character way too annoying. Annoying can be funny, like Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber or even The Cable Guy, but Carell does not pull it off (could be the writing). I also found it weird that the actual dinner is not until the end, it's all a lot of long, drawn out build-up. I did laugh in a few parts early on, but by the end I was kind of bored.

The Skin I Live In (La piel que habito) - 5.5/10: Pedro Almodovar's latest film is a very interesting concept, a plastic surgeon attempts to re-build his wife with a resistant skin after she is mangled in a fiery car crash, that fails to hit you on the emotional level it attempts to get you on. I honestly think Almodovar is just not that great of a director; he seems to have a lot of great ideas but to me they are just executed all that well. Of the three films of his I have seen, Talk To Her actually seems to bring things together well, with the interesting story, compelling characters, and proper emotional attachment, while this film and All About My Mother deal with caricatures without any compelling reason to care about them.
I actually wish this story could have been done by somebody else as it is very interesting with some unusual twists and turns; I really wanted to like it, but I just found it kind of dumb, even laughing in parts where I was supposed to be sad or shocked. I will say the main girl in this is absolutely freaking stunning and they did a cool effect with her skin to make it look like some sort of new plasticky material which was done very well. I may give this another whirl at some point because I do think there is something cool there. We'll see.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Descendents - 5/10
Bleh. I didn't like this at all. In fact I disliked it. I found it boring and unmoving.

There was really nothing that I liked about this. There were a few funny lines but all felt forced. I don't think i've seen any other of Payne's movies but I hope they are better than this. I'd skip it for sure. If I wasn't packed in with senior citizens at my 3:45 showing I might have walked out

I've heard mixed things and after seeing a particular trailer I have little interest. I'll probably still check it out at some point, but I'm not rushing to the theatre like I was originally intending.

I Love You, Philip Morris - 7/10:Cute gay love story/comedy. I laughed a lot during this movie. Very funny. Definitely has a Sunday-night-network TV movie of the week feel to it, just with male on male buttsex and rated R.

Gets a little slow at times, and the way they portray
getting out of/escaping from prison is kind of stupid.

I really want to see this. Missed it in its brief theatre run. :(

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Yeah, I wouldn't waste a trip on it. Similarly I was on the fence about The Skin I Live In, sounds like a stream at best.

I'm interested to see what you think about Hugo when you see it. Such a beautiful movie all around

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'll have to see if I go for 3D on it. I've completely sworn off all things 3D, but I may make an exception for Scorcese. :hmm:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Do it :D I'll take the blame if you don't like it

But damn scorcese for making me like it...

oh, and the glasses help hide the tears :wub:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Haha, ok, will do man. Hopefully this weekend. I have to take some friends to The Artist on Saturday, so maybe I can squeeze it earlier that day.

KT

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Land of the Lost - 7.5/10 - What shit. But what FUN shit. Was on TV, very stupid but funny and entertaining B-movie. I remember when this came out, and it was shat on.

Elf - 7.5/10 - Not that bad. Again, stupid fun.

Dear Santa - 6.5/10 - Predictable, low budget, and cringe-worthy, but Amy Acker played the lead role - only reason I watched.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 7/10 - Entertaining.

Jul 10, 2007
Dinner for Schmucks - 4.5/10: Meh, pretty average. I like Paul Rudd a lot, but I found Steve Carell's character way too annoying. Annoying can be funny, like Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber or even The Cable Guy, but Carell does not pull it off (could be the writing). I also found it weird that the actual dinner is not until the end, it's all a lot of long, drawn out build-up. I did laugh in a few parts early on, but by the end I was kind of bored.

i pity the fool who thinks carrell was ever funny.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Conan the Barbarian (2011) - ok action flick but it's not Conan (and I don't mean the 1980s movies either)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Cleaner - with Samuel L Jackson and Eva Mendes - it started pretty good... then I fell asleep and now the next day it's no longer instant play on Netflix, disc-only. WTF?!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The Muppets 6/10

I love The Muppets and have thoroughly enjoyed their past movies but this had too much singing and dancing that made no sense. It wasn't horrible but randomly jumping into a dancing song while eating lunch at a restaurant seemed too out of place for me and things like that happened much too often for me in the movie. Definitely a kids movie with little to no adult jokes thrown in like there would be in a Pixar movie. The amount of cameos was cool though.

DISCLAIMER: I don't mind musicals but they aren't something I go out of my way to watch.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
It's entirely possible I reviewed this one in the older thread and just don't remember doing it...but in any case, here goes. Possibly round 2.

Leaving Las Vegas - 10/10: I don't hold the 10 standard as highly as a lot of you, but here's my general rule: when a film can make me literally stop the perception of my own reality and take me inside another place for 2 hours, and I enjoy it, that's a 10. Any number of things can get in the way - shit script, bad acting, unbelievable story, stupid plot - and for that I take off points.

As you can see here, Leaving Las Vegas gets no demerits. I don't recall Elisabeth Shue as being so awesome in this, but she really is. What a great role and great job.

And of course this is probably Nicholas Cage's finest performance, but really, how far off of his own experience can this be? The guy seems to be fucking nuts, so is it surprising that he completely nails the role of suicidal drunk? Not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.