NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well I should be ok until Blu-rays are obsolete and everything goes streaming. :(

KT

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Saw Wolfen last night. Netflix stream
meh. Just as I remembered it when I saw it 30 years ago.

Nov 7, 2000
Unstoppable - 6.6/10 - What I expected. Not terrible, but not noteworthy either. I thought a lot of the bit parts were pretty bad, but the main acting was fine. It was also somehow slow at parts, could have shaved off 10 min easy.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Did it look like this? http://www.icollectmedia.com/details/movie/Oldboy/8809032222594/

I have that copy on DVD; you can have it if you want as I now have the full trilogy on Blu.

KT

Thank for the offer! But I'm fine for now :p It looked like this:

old-boy_300x400.jpeg

But the cardboard holder was oriented such that when you placed the plastic DVD case in the cardboard box the back of the DVD case was facing you. That was one red flag. Another was that there were a few minor alignment issues on the spine of the DVD. And a quick look at ebay showed that if I really wanted it I could get it there for somewhere between $6-9 + shipping. So while the $4 at the thrift shop was cheaper it wasn't a crazy deal or anything.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Barely any, but yeah some of them would be re-watches which I don't really review here. Just too many things in the theatre and from my rental place.

I think I have a problem. :whiste:

KT

How large is your collection? Not that it matters, let the haters hate.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
How large is your collection? Not that it matters, let the haters hate.

I've pondered this myself, I wondered if KT has a room full of media discs :p

While I was waiting for BR/HD wars, I stopped buying media and never really picked up the habit again. Now I mostly rent/borrow and buy what I want on BR when something I really want to have comes out.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Meh, it's not that big. Only around 350 Blus now and 150 DVDs. It will take me ages to get to the heights of some real collectors.

Still have some VHS laying around too, but not that many. :D

KT

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
12 Angry Men - 9.5/10

Watched this classic recently for the first time. Not much to say about this.. as most of you have already watched this many times. Overall, I am pretty impressed with this movie.. script and acting feel extremely natural.

Also, please don't ever try to remake this move.
:biggrin::awe::'(o_O:p:biggrin:

Surprisingly, the remake is pretty good.

Repulsion - 9.5/10: Polanski's 1965 thriller, actually very close to being a horror film, about a woman who goes crazy (not much of a summary, but that's the gist of it) played by a freaking gorgeous Catherine Deneuve. There is such an awesome, slow build to this film as you see the disconnected Carole (Deneuve) dealing with daily life, then how things slowly crumble as she becomes more detached form the world and is left to her own devices. You really go on a ride a of psychosis with her and being in that apartment, you begin to feel claustrophobic yourself as the world collapses in on you. It is truly amazing film filled with tension and horror and I can't believe I had not seen it before now. Polanski's a sick bastard who should be in jail, but motherfucker can the direct the shit out of a movie.
Pretty much this, right down to the last sentence.

The Sweetest Thing - NA/10
About 5 minutes in, and that was all I could take. The chick flick cliches started off thick and heavy, like a hurricane of fake smiles.

Soul Surfer - 6/10
Kind of good, kind of bad, but more on the good side. Excellent CG. The whole smacking you in the face with, "God has a plan," was a bit much. Casting was almost all excellent, save that Carrie Underwood was so obviously a mainland Southern country singer that she could have been pasted in with CG in every scene she was in. She simply did not fit in at all.

Gremlins - 8.5/10
It seems the corniness of this movie becomes more and more apparent every time I see it, but it's still fun to watch, every single time. Gizmo in the toy car never gets old. And you know, Phoebe Cates was hot. *rummages around interwebs* She must be living right, too, because she is still hot.

Day of the Dead - 9/10
I used to like Dawn the best, but Day keeps growing on me. It just seems like everything in this film was gotten just right. Except for greasy-haired Mr. Drama, every character, right down to the zombies, has something endearing about them, and the ones who are being bastards get theirs.

The Fighter - 7.5/10
Much better than I expected. Imagine Rocky, but with a plausible dysfunctional family.

True Grit - 7/10
Pretty good, actually. Having now seen the old one again, it was kind of cheesy, and this new one is better. I may have to go read it, now.

Total Recall - 8/10
Verhoeven can make utter crap, and masterpieces. This is one of the masterpieces. Right to the very end, reality is a nagging open question. The over-the-top use of color and texture made it all so surreal, too, that it almost felt like an idyllic dream of a dystopian future [that forked off during the 80s]. Today, it would be teal and orange, dark, with darkness and bloom added via CG, with no fun or humor in it. I only give it an 8 because of some of the same people playing the same roles from Robocop.

Flawless - 8.5/10 "I need some butch faggots over here!"
I wanted to not like the movie as it started off, but the queens grew on me as the movie progressed.
Having had the experience of old set-in-their-ways relatives, I got an extra little kick out of Walt not openly admitting that he was coming to accept his neighbors' lifestyes, even as he was doing so. My grandparents acted the same way to black and gay folks. I know, De Niro has a bit of a reputation as an actor, but it's still neat to see how he subtly goes that extra mile.

Wanted - 1/10
It's OK for what it is, I guess, but a straight up adaptation would have rocked, and they made it more of a Summer action movie, and the awe is kind of lost with having visual effects for super powers in the movie, among other things (no need to add spoilers, IMO). Do yourself a favor and read the source, if this movie ever interested you. The source does have pictures.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Gremlins - 8.5/10
It seems the corniness of this movie becomes more and more apparent every time I see it, but it's still fun to watch, every single time. Gizmo in the toy car never gets old. And you know, Phoebe Cates was hot. *rummages around interwebs* She must be living right, too, because she is still hot.

She is indeed super hot, love her! Did you watch this on Blu? I bought it, but have not had a chance to re-watch it yet. Interested to know what the transfer is like.

Day of the Dead - 9/10
I used to like Dawn the best, but Day keeps growing on me. It just seems like everything in this film was gotten just right. Except for greasy-haired Mr. Drama, every character, right down to the zombies, has something endearing about them, and the ones who are being bastards get theirs.

I have not seen Day in many, many years. I too always proclaim Dawn as my favourite, so I'll need to re-watch this one to compare.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
man, I used to love Gremlins. probably haven't seen it in almost 10 years though. Gizmo was the cutest little mofo

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
GF talked me into going to see Immortals based upon the preview...
I went without having read any reviews.

Immortals
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253864/

5/10

The Good:
Micky Rourke was great.
Freida Pinto is fvcking hot.
Effects were great.
Some of the combat scenes were cool.

The Bad:
Weak Character development
Story didn't "flow" naturally .... seemed like it wasn't written as 1 story, but instead, they wrote a beginning and end and just filled it in with a bunch of scenes...
They completely didn't bother following the mythology, and the story was inferior to the mythology in every possible way. May as well have just went the avatar route and stole the story from Pocahontas....

Overall, I did enjoy watching it, but I do regret paying to see it in the theater vs waiting 5 or 6 or 10 years for it to show up on Netflix streaming queue. Probably worth a buck at Redbox...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
She is indeed super hot, love her! Did you watch this on Blu? I bought it, but have not had a chance to re-watch it yet. Interested to know what the transfer is like.
No, Betamax*.

Cold Souls - 8/10
What if you could sell your soul to the Devil, at a crossroads? Of course you wouldn't do that. But, what if your soul was weighing you down, and you could have it removed and safely stored by an upstanding doctor running an upscale practice, who's name sounds Jewish, and has an ad in the yellow pages? Well, that doesn't sound so bad, anymore. Sadly, the business is not regulated yet, and there is a black market for souls. Luckily, it does not turn into a spy or gangster caper, but rather a light comedy of errors with a side dish of self discovery. If you like Terry Gilliam movies, and/or Neil Gaiman's novels, consider giving it a watch.

* Seriously, recorded from cable a month or two ago, after sitting down for the beginning, then having to go. But, I did have it on Beta.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Catching up on my bad Michael Bay popcorn movies . . . .

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen: 6.25 / 10 - a few nice scenes and some watchable drama here and there.

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen: 5.75 / 10 - a few nice scenes but the drama was even more stupid than in the second one.

They did make me think better of Pearl Harbor, it's almost a good movie by comparison.

I'd probably enjoy them more if was 10 years old, but I thought the effects in Battle Los Angeles were more imaginative and the military theme was done much better there.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Catching up on my bad Michael Bay popcorn movies . . . .

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen: 6.25 / 10 - a few nice scenes and some watchable drama here and there.

Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen: 5.75 / 10 - a few nice scenes but the drama was even more stupid than in the second one.

They did make me think better of Pearl Harbor, it's almost a good movie by comparison.

I'd probably enjoy them more if was 10 years old, but I thought the effects in Battle Los Angeles were more imaginative and the military theme was done much better there.

The above is how Michael Bay actually makes his films. Only difference is he DOES remember to change the title ;)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The above is how Michael Bay actually makes his films. Only difference is he DOES remember to change the title ;)

:)

And he remembers to change the locations too. But the giant robot action was generic enough that it would be easy to wonder if you had put the same disc back into the player.

(Second movie was of course Transformers - The Division Bell )

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I watched Knowing with Nicholas Cage last night. I'd recorded it last week, never got around to watching it...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/

Not bad. Like most movies, a certain level of "suspension of belief/knowledge" is required, but since this is an obvious sci-fi movie, I didn't sit down thinking it was going to be "accurate," but was hoping that it'd be entertaining...which, in spite of Nicholas Cage, it was.

No, it doesn't come close to being "one of the best movies I've ever seen," but overall, it wasn't all that bad.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
any Aki Kaurismäki fans? I've never seen any of his films but his new one Le Havre looks very interesting and the reviews have been great. Limited release for a few weeks now. I'm going to be in NYC for thanksgiving and was thinking of sneaking off and catching a movie :sneaky:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
any Aki Kaurismäki fans? I've never seen any of his films but his new one Le Havre looks very interesting and the reviews have been great. Limited release for a few weeks now. I'm going to be in NYC for thanksgiving and was thinking of sneaking off and catching a movie :sneaky:

I liked it enough:

Le Havre - 7/10: this is the first Aki Kaurismäki film I have seen (man Without a Past has been on my ZipList for quite a while) and to be honest I found it a tad befuddling. I loved the main character and found him very amusing, but the overall feel of the film left me bit bewildered as I was not sure whether some of the things (like the poor acting with clunky dialogue in a few spots) were intentional. This was another film that felt like it was from 30 or 40 years ago, which I suppose is to give you a sense of arrested development in this town, but just left me confused. I sound overly critical, but I actually did like this quite a bit, I think I'm just not entirely sure what to make of it. I'm probably over thinking it and should just enjoy it for the nice tale that it is. My favourite parts were, by far, anything with the main guy and the inspector; both of those characters were awesome. I'm quite interested to see some of Aki Kaurismäki's other work now.

I do want to see some more of his stuff now.

Melancholia opens here this weekend. Can't. Freaking. Wait.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Hmm I remember reading your review but must not have realized what it was at the time, thanks for re-posting it.

No sign of Melancholia around me this weekend :( Nothing at all this weekend, for that matter. Don't think I even saw The Descendants playing anywhere

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I don't see The Descendants anywhere here either. I do want to see The Skin I Live In though. Not sure I'll have the time unfortunately. :(

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
That's another director I don't think I've experienced yet. Don't even know his name off the top of my head

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It's Pedro Almodovar. I've seen two of his films one awful (All About my Mother) and one very good (Talk to Her). This one has an interesting premise so I am looking forward to it, which means I will probably be disappointed. :D

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
It's Pedro Almodovar. I've seen two of his films one awful (All About my Mother) and one very good (Talk to Her). This one has an interesting premise so I am looking forward to it, which means I will probably be disappointed. :D

KT

Haven't seen any of his films yet but he certainly does have a following among film buffs. Which doesn't always mean much.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Haven't seen any of his films yet but he certainly does have a following among film buffs. Which doesn't always mean much.

Yeah, people love him for whatever reason. All of his films seem to be about chicks.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.