NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Ok, here we go

Rashomon - 9/10:
Akira Kurosawa's big hit that put him on the map worldwide. It's a film about a bandit, a dead man, and the dead man's wife. It takes place in Samurai times, and the bandit is accused of killing the man. However, the bandit, the woman, and the dead man's spirit all have different versions of what happened. The stories are relayed by two men who also testified at court.

I tried watching this a while ago on Netflix streaming and I couldn't get through. The quality wasn't very good and it wasn't keeping my interesting. This time I had the DVD and it was a very big improvement. The beginning is still slow; I didn't find the first couple stories too interesting. But towards the end things pick up, and this is definitely a movie that needs to be seen twice to fully appreciate. I still have a ton of Kurosawa to watch, but I really prefer a bunch of others over this, as great as it is. But Rashomon introduced him to the West, so for that I am thankful.

Easy Rider - 9/10
God damn, I was not expecting this and wasn't prepared. I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since I watched it last night.

I won't get into the plot or mention much else because there is only so much to say without spoiling. This started a little slow, but holy shit, Jack Nicholson fucking kills this. The second he shows up on screen this movie is rocketed into the sky. It's ridiculous how great he was. Sure, he had great roles, but he made them great. Is Carnal Knowledge any good? It's definitely getting bumped up my queue because I can't get enough of young Nicholson. I would swear I've said this about him before lol.

Anyway, great movie, though it hit me like a ton of bricks.

The Color of Money - 9/10:
Ok, so this is more like an 8/10, but I wanted to go 9-9-9 Herman Cain style lmao.

I've seen this a ton of times, but it was on TV so I watched. Nothing too special but it's an entertaining movie. Not a great Newman performance but fine for the material. Cruise was great and so was his girlfriend.

There are some awesome scenes and great lines. I'm partial to "That boy is hot"

Carnal Knowledge is a masterpiece. A very deep character study...and very dark and melancholy at times. Obviously, set in a different time but personally that has only made it more interesting. Jack Nicholson is brilliant in this and Candice Bergen is absolutely beautiful.

If you haven't watched Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda that's another one I couldn't stop thinking about after I watched it.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Damn, no fair. Wish I could have had that here, though I do think I'd rather see this in the theatre first. :hmm:

KT

I haven't seen any Von Trier films before, but I'll go see this if I get the chance. I don't get HDNet either(It might have been hdnet movies, if that's a different channel, not sure, my bad). This weekend I'm going to try to get to M-M-M-M

Carnal Knowledge is a masterpiece. A very deep character study...and very dark and melancholy at times. Obviously, set in a different time but personally that has only made it more interesting. Jack Nicholson is brilliant in this and Candice Bergen is absolutely beautiful.

If you haven't watched Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda that's another one I couldn't stop thinking about after I watched it.

Nice, really looking forward to it then.

And I agree about 12 angry men for sure. Still just as relevant today as back then

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't seen any Von Trier films before, but I'll go see this if I get the chance. I don't get HDNet either(It might have been hdnet movies, if that's a different channel, not sure, my bad). This weekend I'm going to try to get to M-M-M-M

Dogville! :wub:

KT

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Horrible Bosses - 7/10 - Was an okay movie, had a clever approach to the subject. Jennifer Anniston is hot and I wish she was my boss. Overall an average film, nothing particularly great or awful about it, was worth the watch.

Green Lantern - 6/10 - I think this wasn't as bad as people told me it would be. I was expecting a pretty bad train wreck, but it was what I expected : an action comic movie slightly week on the story line. I didn't have any particular complaints about the movie and think it was worth a watch with modest expectations.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Martha Marcy May Marlene - 9/10:
The plot goes from side boobage to hard nipples, back down to legs, and finally bewbies! :awe:

Oh, excuse me.

This was a very very good movie. For a brief plot overview, see KT's review a few pages back.

This stars Elizabeth Olsen, the less known sister of the twins. KT, you mentioned you haven't seen her in anything else before; Amazingly, this is her first role(I believe she's shot another movie or two, but not yet released). And WOW does she kill it. I'm having trouble thinking of another young actress that has played a role this great. This movie was everything Winter's Bone wasn't, imo.

I loved this, even though it had a few flaws. I really disliked the sister's character, same for the husband. They were both very cliche, and I didn't like either actor. I also wish the movie was a little longer, I would have liked to see more. And I don't mean more at the end. I was fine with the ending, but I was enjoying the story a lot and I would have been happy to sit through some more. The 102 minute running time went very quickly. But better to be too short than too long.

Hmm, yeah, that's about it. Looking forward to see this again :thumbsup:

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
The Book of Eli - 6/10 - Better story wise than i thought it would be, not as good action wise as I thought it would be.

Transformers 3 - 5/10 - Action scenes were over the top but pretty enjoyable to watch. I know the transformer movies aren't known for the characters, but man there were some really really annoying characters in that film.

Stop/Loss - 5/10 - Movie was sorta all over the place. A lot of it didn't make a lot of sense to me either, and the drama all felt a little silly and forced. Really didn't transition very well from scene to scene i felt which sorta made building an overall narrative hard.

Yea, I've been watching more popcorn flick ish movies lately :p

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Oceans - 7.5/10: A nature documentary from a couple of years back, part of that Disney series of films, narrated by Pierce Brosnan. Has some pretty freaking awesome footage of creatures I know and creatures I'd never heard of. There are some fun parts and many interesting parts, but nothing gets too detailed or technical, which is both a postive and a negative at times. There were certain parts where I wanted more about the particular animal and this just did not provide it, but overall it was cool and enjoyable and Brosnan did well with the narration, even though there were a few cheesy pieces. I also hated the very beginning and very end where it showed these kids running around near the ocean, but aside from that, I liked it.

KT

D:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Great Dictator - 10/10:
If any film deserves a 10, this is it. I found a lot of the beginning slow and not very funny. But the last 45 minutes or so are hilarious, the Napaloni scenes especially, and the impact of the movie makes this a true masterpiece.

"At the time of its first release, the United States was still formally at peace with Nazi Germany."

That's quite amazing, and very difficult to appreciate. So while I didn't think the movie itself was that great, film is more than just entertainment.

Plus, Chaplin is a GOD in this. He's is great throughout, and the speech at the end is worth the price of admission(my apologies for the cliche). Oakie as Napaloni and Gardiner as Schultz were both very good.

The Vanishing(Spoorloos) - 8/10:
I went into this with very high expectations, so I came away a little disappointed, but it was still a good movie. With a 100% rating on RT with a consensus stating "A clinical, maddening descent into the mind of a serial killer and a slowly unraveling hero, culminating with one of the scariest endings of all time," I was expecting something really great. It was solidly good, and without my high expectations maybe I would have liked it more.

Anyway, it's about a couple who are on a road trip, and the woman is kidnapped at a rest stop. There are no real clues, no sign of the woman. This mystery drives the man to continue searching for the woman, Saskia, for years. The viewer, however, knows the kidnapper quite early on.

I believe it was an Ebert review I was reading, but he mentions that the story keeps up the suspense and thrill even while revealing what we already know, or what we want to know. It's rather odd, but I think it also weakened the climax. It's somewhat tedious at points, and it keeps you on edge and uncomfortable for most of the movie, wondering what's going to happen next.

Interesting movie...

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003

You wouldn't want your film narrated by Bond, James Bond? :p

I watched Sunshine - 7/10 - This was a really visually pretty movie. The story was a little out there (dying sun, gotta restart it) but the plot worked pretty well. The last part of the movie coulda been better, but the ending was pretty good. I liked it a lot, and might buy it to have around to look at pretty colors sometimes.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Been too busy, only got to watch one thing.

Starbuck - 7/10: Essentially a French-Canadian rom-com about a deadbeat guy who donated a bunch of sperm when he was young, then it comes to his attention that he is now the "Father" of 533 children who want to to know who he is. I actually thought this was a pretty cute movie with a fun premise. It had some funny scenes and a couple of touching ones. There were definitely some flaws and some things that made no sense, but it was a fun little movie.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Martha Marcy May Marlene - 9/10:
The plot goes from side boobage to hard nipples, back down to legs, and finally bewbies! :awe:

Oh, excuse me.

This was a very very good movie. For a brief plot overview, see KT's review a few pages back.

This stars Elizabeth Olsen, the less known sister of the twins. KT, you mentioned you haven't seen her in anything else before; Amazingly, this is her first role(I believe she's shot another movie or two, but not yet released). And WOW does she kill it. I'm having trouble thinking of another young actress that has played a role this great. This movie was everything Winter's Bone wasn't, imo.

I loved this, even though it had a few flaws. I really disliked the sister's character, same for the husband. They were both very cliche, and I didn't like either actor. I also wish the movie was a little longer, I would have liked to see more. And I don't mean more at the end. I was fine with the ending, but I was enjoying the story a lot and I would have been happy to sit through some more. The 102 minute running time went very quickly. But better to be too short than too long.

Hmm, yeah, that's about it. Looking forward to see this again :thumbsup:

Awesome, glad you liked it. She is indeed awesome; how about John Hawkes? That guy rules. I was surprised by the nudity...pleasantly so. :sneaky:

The Great Dictator - 10/10:
If any film deserves a 10, this is it. I found a lot of the beginning slow and not very funny. But the last 45 minutes or so are hilarious, the Napaloni scenes especially, and the impact of the movie makes this a true masterpiece.

"At the time of its first release, the United States was still formally at peace with Nazi Germany."

That's quite amazing, and very difficult to appreciate. So while I didn't think the movie itself was that great, film is more than just entertainment.

Plus, Chaplin is a GOD in this. He's is great throughout, and the speech at the end is worth the price of admission(my apologies for the cliche). Oakie as Napaloni and Gardiner as Schultz were both very good.

Cool, have not watched this yet. Sounds awesome.

You wouldn't want your film narrated by Bond, James Bond? :p

I watched Sunshine - 7/10 - This was a really visually pretty movie. The story was a little out there (dying sun, gotta restart it) but the plot worked pretty well. The last part of the movie coulda been better, but the ending was pretty good. I liked it a lot, and might buy it to have around to look at pretty colors sometimes.

I love Sunshine. I actually like it more now than when I first saw it in the theatre; probably watched it 5 times by now. Certainly is stunning on Blu-ray.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The Great Dictator - 10/10: If any film deserves a 10, this is it. I found a lot of the beginning slow and not very funny. But the last 45 minutes or so are hilarious, the Napaloni scenes especially, and the impact of the movie makes this a true masterpiece. "At the time of its first release, the United States was still formally at peace with Nazi Germany." That's quite amazing, and very difficult to appreciate. So while I didn't think the movie itself was that great, film is more than just entertainment. Plus, Chaplin is a GOD in this. He's is great throughout, and the speech at the end is worth the price of admission(my apologies for the cliche). Oakie as Napaloni and Gardiner as Schultz were both very good.

Nice review. I have yet to watch this movie.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Awesome, glad you liked it. She is indeed awesome; how about John Hawkes? That guy rules. I was surprised by the nudity...pleasantly so. :sneaky:

Hawkes was awesome too, even more so than in the other things I've seen him in. :thumbsup: on the nudity haha.

Cool, have not watched this yet. Sounds awesome.

You have the criterion, right? I quickly browsed the extras and there is some pretty neat color footage of production shot by Chaplin's half-brother. Check it out when you get to it

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I actually got it at the last sale, just did not get around to watching it yet. :\

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I saw OldBoy at a local thrift store for $3.99. In good condition with the cardboard sleeve still around it. Didn't get it though as it looked like it may have been a pirated edition and I wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not. Still haven't seen the film yet and want to at some point.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I saw OldBoy at a local thrift store for $3.99. In good condition with the cardboard sleeve still around it. Didn't get it though as it looked like it may have been a pirated edition and I wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not. Still haven't seen the film yet and want to at some point.

Did it look like this? http://www.icollectmedia.com/details/movie/Oldboy/8809032222594/

I have that copy on DVD; you can have it if you want as I now have the full trilogy on Blu.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Yeah I actually got it at the last sale, just did not get around to watching it yet. :\

KT

Did you watch any of them? :D

I'm guessing you probably bought some things you've seen already, but looking back at the list you bought, I can't remember you reviewing any of them, at least not off the top of my head lol.

I've watched a few but most I still haven't

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Did you watch any of them? :D

I'm guessing you probably bought some things you've seen already, but looking back at the list you bought, I can't remember you reviewing any of them, at least not off the top of my head lol.

I've watched a few but most I still haven't

Barely any, but yeah some of them would be re-watches which I don't really review here. Just too many things in the theatre and from my rental place.

I think I have a problem. :whiste:

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.