NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Easy Rider - 9/10
God damn, I was not expecting this and wasn't prepared. I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since I watched it last night.

I won't get into the plot or mention much else because there is only so much to say without spoiling. This started a little slow, but holy shit, Jack Nicholson fucking kills this. The second he shows up on screen this movie is rocketed into the sky. It's ridiculous how great he was. Sure, he had great roles, but he made them great. Is Carnal Knowledge any good? It's definitely getting bumped up my queue because I can't get enough of young Nicholson. I would swear I've said this about him before lol.

Anyway, great movie, though it hit me like a ton of bricks.
Not sure about Carnal Knowledge but Easy Rider was great. I've often been critical of old "classics", but I really liked this one.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I can't imagine going into Mad Max thinking it likely to be NOT a cluster fuck. But maybe that's just cause I know they type of film it is.

The only thing good about this movie was.. the stunts and cinematography.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
4 Weeks, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032846/

This movie is about a woman in Communist Romania who helps her friend get an abortion. I think this film did a wonderful job of conveying pure frustration in the highest form. It was difficult to watch, and anything but "happy".

Overall, I'd rate it as a 7.5. The cold harshness of it was epic, however, I just found it too dull to really get into. Then again, I think it was fully intended. I highly respect it, but it's not exactly my cup of tea.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Man, we never got to see anything cool in school. The movies were all terrible and boring.

I'll have to pop Easy Rider in soon to see if it jogs my memory.

KT

Easy Rider is indeed awesome.
We never really watched movies in school, though in History class my 8th grade history teacher probably played through about 2/3s of "The World At War", it really got me interested in WW2 related history...

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Easy Rider is indeed awesome.
We never really watched movies in school, though in History class my 8th grade history teacher probably played through about 2/3s of "The World At War", it really got me interested in WW2 related history...

:hmm: I wonder if any HS teacher accidentally showed Caligula thinking it was a historical piece? :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligula_(film)

Note: I haven't seen it myself but I know what it is.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
4 Weeks, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032846/

This movie is about a woman in Communist Romania who helps her friend get an abortion. I think this film did a wonderful job of conveying pure frustration in the highest form. It was difficult to watch, and anything but "happy".

Overall, I'd rate it as a 7.5. The cold harshness of it was epic, however, I just found it too dull to really get into. Then again, I think it was fully intended. I highly respect it, but it's not exactly my cup of tea.

Another one I own and have yet to watch; been meaning to get around to it forever. :|

:hmm: I wonder if any HS teacher accidentally showed Caligula thinking it was a historical piece? :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligula_(film)

Note: I haven't seen it myself but I know what it is.

They actually played a Midnight showing of this back when I was still in High School and when The Caprice was still a movie theatre. We came down to see it and while it was a bad movie, it was still kind of awesome. Apparently the DVD commentary for Caligula is amazing as they all completely trash the film, including McDowell. :awe:

KT

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Peep World - 6/10

The youngest son of a family writes a novel about his family...and the family gets together on the father's birthday every year to have dinner. The movie how the day unfolds for each of the family members leading up to the dinner. It's labeled as a comedy, but really was more a drama. There were a couple funny spots, but by no means is it a comedy.

I really only watched it because Michael C Hall was in it (from Dexter), but was glad to see Judy Greer and Kate Mara in it too. It was ok...nothing ground breaking, a bit predictable and the story was average. The acting was decent though.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
They actually played a Midnight showing of this back when I was still in High School and when The Caprice was still a movie theatre. We came down to see it and while it was a bad movie, it was still kind of awesome. Apparently the DVD commentary for Caligula is amazing as they all completely trash the film, including McDowell. :awe:

KT

LOL that sounds epic. I can just imagine the commentary during the orgy scenes. :biggrin:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Perfect Host - 6/10:
I could have sworn I read someone's review of this movie here, but I've searched and I can't find anything.

David Hyde Pierce stars in this very strange dark comedy

MV5BMjE2MzY1NTAxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAxMDM1NQ@@._V1_.jpg

The movie is about a bank robber on the run who managed to talk his way into Pierce's home. From there, things get a bit crazy.

This movie is a mess. The plot is ridiculous, there are some very poorly done flashbacks, and some wacky twists. But there are a good amount of laughs as well, enough to carry the viewer through the end. I believe it's only about 95 minutes, so it works; anything longer would have been a big mistake.

Fun quirky movie if you like that kind of thing

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Red Riding Trilogy (1974, 1980, 1983) - 7/10 for the trilogy as a whole
KT

Just came across this trilogy and searched the old movie thread to find your review. I saw something about Bret Easton Ellis praising it, and him quoting some film critic who said the trilogy was better than the godfather.

I'm glad my expectations have been lowered lol. Amazon has the trilogy for less than $12, but it's also on netflix streaming. Seems interesting, but I'm guessing I won't get to it for a while

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Takers - 6.5/10: I actually liked this quite a bit more than I expected. The acting was pretty rough in spots, particularly the guy that played Ghost, he drove me nuts, but I'm a sucker for heist flick and I thought the action/heist parts worked pretty well. So much of the emotional crap they tried to shoehorn in was bad and really detracted from the overall film and it felt too long. So I had fun with a good chunk of this, but it could have used a bit less crappiness.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Just came across this trilogy and searched the old movie thread to find your review. I saw something about Bret Easton Ellis praising it, and him quoting some film critic who said the trilogy was better than the godfather.

I'm glad my expectations have been lowered lol. Amazon has the trilogy for less than $12, but it's also on netflix streaming. Seems interesting, but I'm guessing I won't get to it for a while

It's decent, some parts more than others, but it's far from amazing.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah. Seems like one of those cable movies you can just watch whenever, but nothing to get overly excited about.

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Has anyone watched Lexx?

The SciFi series? Haven't seen a lot of it but enough to know the flavour.

It tries to be this strange sexy, weird, artsy, deadpan humorous type scifi mish mash. It largely fails. First few times you watch it you think, hey this is kinda different. Then the more you see of it the more you realize oh... this really is all there is. The characters and scripts are strange and off the wall but they seem to have forgotten they need an actual story to hold the viewers interest. Even the actors seem bored 1/2 the time. Okay so you have landed on a planet where all the inhabitants appear to be unemployed zombie super models who's master deserted them 20,000 years ago and they turn to you as their new leader blah blah blah blah... There's a few good episodes and story arcs here and there from what I can tell. Still worth a watch if you like off the wall stuff as you MAY just find it to your liking, not mine though.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I liked the early episodes, maybe the first and second season? Once Eva Habermann left I lost interest, but I did like the episodes with her quite a bit.

KT

Yeah after she left the girl the replaced her with. I don't know. Just wasn't the same. ;)

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Any of you that have HDNet, Melancholia is on tonight. I think it's on now but it's on again at 10pm EST, in about an hour.

Unfortunately I don't get HDNet and I don't think it's playing anywhere near me this weekend either :/

Nov 7, 2000
Paranormal Activity 3 - 6.3/10 - Effects were on par with or better than the previous, but the plot fell flat to me. A real shame because these movies don't really even need much of a plot. Unsatisfying ending.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Any of you that have HDNet, Melancholia is on tonight. I think it's on now but it's on again at 10pm EST, in about an hour.

Unfortunately I don't get HDNet and I don't think it's playing anywhere near me this weekend either :/

Damn, no fair. Wish I could have had that here, though I do think I'd rather see this in the theatre first. :hmm:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oceans - 7.5/10: A nature documentary from a couple of years back, part of that Disney series of films, narrated by Pierce Brosnan. Has some pretty freaking awesome footage of creatures I know and creatures I'd never heard of. There are some fun parts and many interesting parts, but nothing gets too detailed or technical, which is both a postive and a negative at times. There were certain parts where I wanted more about the particular animal and this just did not provide it, but overall it was cool and enjoyable and Brosnan did well with the narration, even though there were a few cheesy pieces. I also hated the very beginning and very end where it showed these kids running around near the ocean, but aside from that, I liked it.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.