NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Jack Bull - 7/10: This is an HBO western with John Cusack as a horse dealer who gets tangled up with a powerful land owner. You know I started watching this and for the first 10-15 minutes I thought it felt really cheesy and I even considered just turning it off, but it kind of hooked me in shortly after and though I found more stuff cheesy (the music was god awful, and some of the relationship stuff, particularly with the kid, was bad) the story itself was good and kept me interested to the very end. John Cusack was John Cusack; I mean I like the guy, but he is exactly the same in every movie, same tone and same mannerisms, yet I still kind of like the guy. I loved when John Goodman showed up later on; love that guy, I just wish he was in the movie more. Overall not a bad little movie.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I was just going through the old movie thread and saw that you, KT, mentioned you haven't seen any of the Lethal Weapons. Have you yet? I was watching the first one last night, and damn, such a great movie. Totally in the "late 80's early 90's" sort of way, but really great. They just don't make em like they used to

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
They just don't make em like they used to

True. I love that movie so much. People always say Die Hard is great, but I could never get into that(Maybe it's an American thing). Lethal Weapon is a perfect movie.. the combination of a suicidal cop who likes talking risks+ an old cop close to retirement.. is so freaking perfect.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Saw Moneyball yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and more importantly, my wife did even though she hates baseball. They did a good job of distilling things down into terms that non-sports fans can understand. I was a big baseball fan as a child but I haven't been since the mid 90s (actually around the 1994 strike). But this movie made me want to get back into it again.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
True. I love that movie so much. People always say Die Hard is great, but I could never get into that(Maybe it's an American thing). Lethal Weapon is a perfect movie.. the combination of a suicidal cop who likes talking risks+ an old cop close to retirement.. is so freaking perfect.

The scene at the shooting range really had me appreciating it. It's such a ridiculous scene when you think about it, but it's just perfect anyway.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Still have not seen any of them, but I own the first one on Blu. I will get around to it soon, I just never think about it, so thanks for the reminder. I figure I should watch Jurassic Park soon too since it just came out on Blu-ray.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Jack Bull - 7/10: This is an HBO western with John Cusack as a horse dealer who gets tangled up with a powerful land owner. You know I started watching this and for the first 10-15 minutes I thought it felt really cheesy and I even considered just turning it off, but it kind of hooked me in shortly after and though I found more stuff cheesy (the music was god awful, and some of the relationship stuff, particularly with the kid, was bad) the story itself was good and kept me interested to the very end. John Cusack was John Cusack; I mean I like the guy, but he is exactly the same in every movie, same tone and same mannerisms, yet I still kind of like the guy. I loved when John Goodman showed up later on; love that guy, I just wish he was in the movie more. Overall not a bad little movie.

KT

Did you watch it because of my recommendation or just by accident?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Did you watch it because of my recommendation or just by accident?

Must have been your recommendation. I forget when/why I've added things to my list, but this seems like the only place I would have heard about it.

Thanks for the rec, I liked it, and I'm not even a Western guy.

Edit: Huh, took long enough, you posted about it in July and I responded then. Good grief.

KT

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Still have not seen any of them, but I own the first one on Blu. I will get around to it soon, I just never think about it, so thanks for the reminder. I figure I should watch Jurassic Park soon too since it just came out on Blu-ray.

KT

I have a theory that spielberg has been trolling us for about 25 years, I'm interested in what you will think of JP. I would imagine lethal weapon has held up better

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Ok, here we go

Rashomon - 9/10:
Akira Kurosawa's big hit that put him on the map worldwide. It's a film about a bandit, a dead man, and the dead man's wife. It takes place in Samurai times, and the bandit is accused of killing the man. However, the bandit, the woman, and the dead man's spirit all have different versions of what happened. The stories are relayed by two men who also testified at court.

I tried watching this a while ago on Netflix streaming and I couldn't get through. The quality wasn't very good and it wasn't keeping my interesting. This time I had the DVD and it was a very big improvement. The beginning is still slow; I didn't find the first couple stories too interesting. But towards the end things pick up, and this is definitely a movie that needs to be seen twice to fully appreciate. I still have a ton of Kurosawa to watch, but I really prefer a bunch of others over this, as great as it is. But Rashomon introduced him to the West, so for that I am thankful.

Easy Rider - 9/10
God damn, I was not expecting this and wasn't prepared. I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since I watched it last night.

I won't get into the plot or mention much else because there is only so much to say without spoiling. This started a little slow, but holy shit, Jack Nicholson fucking kills this. The second he shows up on screen this movie is rocketed into the sky. It's ridiculous how great he was. Sure, he had great roles, but he made them great. Is Carnal Knowledge any good? It's definitely getting bumped up my queue because I can't get enough of young Nicholson. I would swear I've said this about him before lol.

Anyway, great movie, though it hit me like a ton of bricks.

The Color of Money - 9/10:
Ok, so this is more like an 8/10, but I wanted to go 9-9-9 Herman Cain style lmao.

I've seen this a ton of times, but it was on TV so I watched. Nothing too special but it's an entertaining movie. Not a great Newman performance but fine for the material. Cruise was great and so was his girlfriend.

There are some awesome scenes and great lines. I'm partial to "That boy is hot"

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I watched V For Vendetta tonight. I saw it pop up on a couple message boards, and said what the hell. Very enjoyable. I may even watch it again in a year or two.

Edit:
Forgot to rate. I think 8/10, mostly for the story. The movie itself isn't quite that good, but the story's first rate.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
A Nightmare in Las Cruces - 1.5/10: What could have been an interesting documentary on a horrible crime that occurred in a small New Mexico town, was just an awful, cloying set of interviews and re-enactments that kept going back to the same things over and over and over to keep bashing you over the head to ensure you were feeling sad and thinking this was truly a horrible crime (we got that in the first 20 minutes, no need to keep going back to it). I turned it off about half way through; freaking painful.

Cashback - 7/10: An odd little film about a young guy in university, in the UK, who goes through a break-up in the very beginning, goes through a bout of insomnia and ends up getting a job at a supermarket. I kind of liked this. One of those quirky, indie kind of films and what can I say, I'm sort of a sucker for them. There was a weird wrinkle where the main character freezes time in his mind that I was not a huge fan of, though it did allow for some beautiful naked women to get into the film. I thought the main relationship was very interesting and genuine, so was happy to go along for the ride.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - 9/10: Awesome movie about a girl, played fantastically by Elizabeth Olsen, who I had never seen in anything before, but was awesome here and is far more attractive than either of her sisters (lovely breasts!), who is torn between two lives. The film is a split between her current situation with her sister and where she came from, a sort of cult-like farm/compound. John Hawkes is freaking amazing, as always, as the cult leader, and the whole dynamic of how they splice together Olsen's two lives is perfect. There are so many awesome, small scenes that are tense and fascinating, giving insight into how all of the people got involved and how Hawkes runs the show. Great character work throughout. I liked this a lot. Also while this probably has one of the worst movie titles ever, it becomes an amazing title after watching the film.

KT

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ok, here we go

Rashomon - 9/10:
Akira Kurosawa's big hit that put him on the map worldwide. It's a film about a bandit, a dead man, and the dead man's wife. It takes place in Samurai times, and the bandit is accused of killing the man. However, the bandit, the woman, and the dead man's spirit all have different versions of what happened. The stories are relayed by two men who also testified at court.

I tried watching this a while ago on Netflix streaming and I couldn't get through. The quality wasn't very good and it wasn't keeping my interesting. This time I had the DVD and it was a very big improvement. The beginning is still slow; I didn't find the first couple stories too interesting. But towards the end things pick up, and this is definitely a movie that needs to be seen twice to fully appreciate. I still have a ton of Kurosawa to watch, but I really prefer a bunch of others over this, as great as it is. But Rashomon introduced him to the West, so for that I am thankful.

Easy Rider - 9/10
God damn, I was not expecting this and wasn't prepared. I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since I watched it last night.

I won't get into the plot or mention much else because there is only so much to say without spoiling. This started a little slow, but holy shit, Jack Nicholson fucking kills this. The second he shows up on screen this movie is rocketed into the sky. It's ridiculous how great he was. Sure, he had great roles, but he made them great. Is Carnal Knowledge any good? It's definitely getting bumped up my queue because I can't get enough of young Nicholson. I would swear I've said this about him before lol.

Anyway, great movie, though it hit me like a ton of bricks.

The Color of Money - 9/10:
Ok, so this is more like an 8/10, but I wanted to go 9-9-9 Herman Cain style lmao.

I've seen this a ton of times, but it was on TV so I watched. Nothing too special but it's an entertaining movie. Not a great Newman performance but fine for the material. Cruise was great and so was his girlfriend.

There are some awesome scenes and great lines. I'm partial to "That boy is hot"

Was just talking about The Color Of Money this weekend. I'm a big fan of that movie, though it's been years since I watched it.

Rashomon is not my favourite Kurosawa, but it's still awesome!

I own Easy Rider, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it. :hmm:

I watched V For Vendetta tonight. I saw it pop up on a couple message boards, and said what the hell. Very enjoyable. I may even watch it again in a year or two.

Edit:
Forgot to rate. I think 8/10, mostly for the story. The movie itself isn't quite that good, but the story's first rate.

I love this movie. Something about it just works for me and I can watch it whenever. Love the style of it.

KT

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Tower Heist - 8/10 - I laughed out loud a number to times, which is the most you can really ask from a comedy of this ilk. I do not get to the movies much anymore and I did not feel like I wasted this opportunity.

At times you have to suspend your knowledge of certain laws of physics (and, in my case, knowledge of the legal system), but, otherwise very enjoyable.

MotionMan

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Was just talking about The Color Of Money this weekend. I'm a big fan of that movie, though it's been years since I watched it.

Rashomon is not my favourite Kurosawa, but it's still awesome!

I own Easy Rider, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it. :hmm:

KT

Would you believe my Grade 11 English teacher showed us Easy Rider? Awesome film :p Has such a wonderful hopeful, wistful, melancholic atmosphere to it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Would you believe my Grade 11 English teacher showed us Easy Rider? Awesome film :p Has such a wonderful hopeful, wistful, melancholic atmosphere to it.

Man, we never got to see anything cool in school. The movies were all terrible and boring.

I'll have to pop Easy Rider in soon to see if it jogs my memory.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Watched The Informant and Mad Max over the weekend.. felt both movies to be meh. Both felt like a clusterfuck. 5/10 for both.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The coolest movies I saw in school were "The Lottery" and "The Wave".

Otherwise, it was mostly crap. I still liked moves at school because I was the guy who ran the projector most of the time. ;)

MotionMan

Oh yeah, we did get The Lottery! That was awesome. I thought I had only read the story, but I did end up seeing the the movie in school.

KT

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Tower Heist 7.5/10 - First things first... Check your "bullshit o' meter" at the door. Was comical and I definitely had a few good laughs. The premise is pretty much what the commercials show. A cast of washed up actors want to get their money back from bernie madoff. Hilarity ensues becuase none of them are criminals.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Man, we never got to see anything cool in school. The movies were all terrible and boring.

KT

This guy was a cool teacher. He was actually a PE teacher subbing in for the year for English. He had an odd forward style of teaching that kind of embarrassed kids. Because of this everyone hated him and made fun of him. I will always regret to this day joining in on the hate. Cause looking back he was actually one of our better teachers :(

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Watched The Informant and Mad Max over the weekend.. felt both movies to be meh. Both felt like a clusterfuck. 5/10 for both.

I can't imagine going into Mad Max thinking it likely to be NOT a cluster fuck. But maybe that's just cause I know they type of film it is.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005

KT

I don't think it's something you would forget

In school I remember seeing Gattaca like 800 times. Also Kubrick's 2001 a bunch of times in science class, but that was a long time ago, like 7th grade lol, and I don't remember any of it. Gung Ho in a business class in high school. Probably a few others I'm missing

I'm trying to remember what I saw in a films class in college...I can only remember Chinatown and 300(was in the theatres at the time, somehow the class convinced the teacher to let us watch that piece of garbage)

Status
Not open for further replies.