NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
and may I add, 12 angry men is being released from Criterion on Blu Ray next month :) I saw it for the first time recently as well, so I'm not in a rush to buy it, but if anyone has not yet seen it, it's a must buy

I was probably too generous with The Woman in the Window. I wrote the review a few days after seeing it so maybe I forgave some of it's issues. I didn't like Robinson much in it, but the rest of the cast was solid. The ending, I could take it or leave it. But outside of Robinson's character in Double Indemnity, I think Woman in the Window was better. Some of the police stuff was fun, if not cheap

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I feel you on that. I don't think there was much of a message or theme to the movie, at least that I felt was important to my enjoyment of it, so maybe that's why I wasn't too caught up in whether it was religious. I'm really not sure about the zombies, I honestly didn't even remember them until you mentioned it. If the storm was meant to be some sort of apocolyptic event, I'm not sure what they were. Maybe he was being dragged down into hell? And building the storm shelter was a metaphor for fixing up his life so he would be saved? That doesn't seem likely, especially considering the end.

I really didn't read too much into the fact that he did see the future in his dreams. I guess I didn't really think it was important, even considering the end could have been another vision(don't think it was). I just enjoyed the suspense and overall execution of the movie, and didn't care much about the underlying meaning. Maybe that's a shitty point of view though :)

Have you seen Nichols' other movie? I haven't but here's the imdb summary

Watching that might shed some light on his intentions with Take Shelter

Nothing wrong with that at all. The other stuff would not have bothered me if I had been sucked into the film like you, it's really only because I was somewhat detached from everything that I am picking on those little things. If I had been wrapped up in the film, as I was hoping to be, then I likely would not have noticed a lot of that stuff.

I've added Shotgun Stories to my queue. I'm interested to see what he did there plus Michael Shannon's in that one too, so automatic bonus. :awe:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
and may I add, 12 angry men is being released from Criterion on Blu Ray next month :) I saw it for the first time recently as well, so I'm not in a rush to buy it, but if anyone has not yet seen it, it's a must buy

I was probably too generous with The Woman in the Window. I wrote the review a few days after seeing it so maybe I forgave some of it's issues. I didn't like Robinson much in it, but the rest of the cast was solid. The ending, I could take it or leave it. But outside of Robinson's character in Double Indemnity, I think Woman in the Window was better. Some of the police stuff was fun, if not cheap

Going to grab it when the sale hits next month!

Oh crap, missed that you reviewed Double Indemnity, I thought it said Double Jeopardy so I skimmed past it! I freaking love that movie. It could be my favourite noir. I thought the characters were awesome and the dialogue was so sharp and witty, it really hooked me. Too bad you didn't like it that much. :(

KT

Sep 29, 2004
Troll Hunter - 7/10 - I needed a movie and this sounded interesting from the Netflix description and it got enough stars at Netflix. So, I watched it via Netflix Streaming. This is a subtitled movie. I'll give a break down by category:

Pace: 8/10 - It did a good job of keeping the story moving. Not always great but it is an easy 90 minutes to sit through.

Acting: 7/10 - I never cringed. There was only one bad shot that was probably more bad directing than anything.

Plot: 4/10 - This is where another month of pollish before production could have helped. A few to many holes. But it did not bother me that much.

Special Effects: 10/10 - This thing had a $3.5 million budget. Knowing that, I thought the special effects were very good. I never found them to be cartoonish at all.

Originiality: 9/10 - I thought it was an oriignal concept. At age 35, it is hard to find a movie that is not hte same rehashed garbage. This was not that at all.

Trolljegeren_poster.jpg

REMAKE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Columbus_(filmmaker) ... Chris Columbus has bought hte rights to do a remake.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
American Splendor - 8/10: I think I actually saw this when it came out, but my recollection was foggy, so I re-watched it last night. Paul Giamatti plays Harvey Pekar, the real-life writer of the comic American Splendor. I liked this quite a bit, more so in the first 2/3 of the film as I felt the last third got a little too sappy and a bit boring. Watching the dysfunctional Pekar trying to figure out his life, collecting records and comics, hanging out with Robert Crumb, and even stumbling through the beginnings of American Splendor was all awesome and fun and the way they sprinkled in real footage and interviews with the real people, including Pekar was very cool and worked pretty much seamlessly. It's actually a unique film in that sense in the way they spliced the real with re-creation. If the entire film had remained as strong as the first 75-85 minutes, this would have been an easy 9 for me, but some of the later stuff, while important to Pekar's overall story, just didn't resonate as well. Cool movie though.

KT

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2004
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (9/10) - saw this for the first time recently and rediscovered how great Steve Martin used to be.

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
Red State - 6/10: Another good build up but the ending sucked. I did lol at the last line though... I chuckle thinking about it.

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
Margin Call - 9/10: Loved it!! Good ol' fashion acting moving. Spacey is terrific in it. The only thing from stopping it from being 10/10 is I thought it could've went deeper in a way with the investment lingo.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw 2 movies over last weekend.

The Thing - 4/10. Who the heck greenlighted this sucker? Not scary and not anything. The only saving grace for this movie was the main female character was kinda cute.

Real Steel - 8/10. Decent movie with very good CGI with the robots. The bad-girl female character was very cute. I wish the little boy character was less annoying, he was on my nerve, especially at the beginning.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Ides of March - 8/10

Paranormal Activity 3 - 7/10

I keep hearing mixed reviews about Anonymous, which has me worried. The only other movie I want to see this year is Dragon Tattoo.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I just started watching Saxondale on Netflix streaming. British comedy starring Steve Coogan. He's bloody brilliant. The show is very good as well.

KT, you looking forward to Shame? Just saw the trailer after reading it was marked NC-17. Looks interesting. One night I started watching Mcqueen/Fassbender's other movie, Hunger. I made it about 2 minutes in before deciding I wasn't in the mood for that kind of movie haha. I should give it a try though, I'm sure it gets going

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Margin Call - 9/10: Loved it!! Good ol' fashion acting moving. Spacey is terrific in it. The only thing from stopping it from being 10/10 is I thought it could've went deeper in a way with the investment lingo.

Huh, cool. Was unsure about this one. May need to check it out.

I just started watching Saxondale on Netflix streaming. British comedy starring Steve Coogan. He's bloody brilliant. The show is very good as well.

KT, you looking forward to Shame? Just saw the trailer after reading it was marked NC-17. Looks interesting. One night I started watching Mcqueen/Fassbender's other movie, Hunger. I made it about 2 minutes in before deciding I wasin't in the mood for that kind of movie haha. I should give it a try though, I'm sure it gets going

I am very much looking forward to it. As you know I'm a huge Fassbender fan and I've heard very good things about the film, so yeah, can't wait.

I think I'm going to try and see Martha Marcy May Marlene this weekend.

B&N Criterion sale starts Tuesday! :awe:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've got my list of 6 movies ready to go :) I'm sure you're probably double that

I plan on getting
The Great Dictator
Modern Times
Cousins
The Thin Red Line
Harakiri
Night of the Hunter

I've been flip flopping between one of the Chaplin movies and 12 Angry Men. Maybe I'll get sucked into just buying them all :/

Looking forward to what you think or Martha Marcy. Getting great reviews but I'm a little wary

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've got my list of 6 movies ready to go :) I'm sure you're probably double that

I plan on getting
The Great Dictator
Modern Times
Cousins
The Thin Red Line
Harakiri
Night of the Hunter

I've been flip flopping between one of the Chaplin movies and 12 Angry Men. Maybe I'll get sucked into just buying them all :/

Looking forward to what you think or Martha Marcy. Getting great reviews but I'm a little wary

Nice, I was just listening to a review of Harakiri and I'm definitely going to get that. I'm going to make my list this weekend, but I know I really want the Three Colors trilogy, I just hope it falls within the sale dates, also Island of Lost Souls, and The Phantom Carriage. Probably a few others. Can't wait!

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I started to archive a bit more of the old movie thread. I've done 50 pages worth. It's pretty slow and makes you crosseyed flipping between the thread and excel lol.

Here's what I got so far
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akhho8o91oDJdDJjcTRPUGpWVFBndmJqaHdQbDV1RXc

Volunteers to help are welcome :)

When, and if, it gets finished, I hope to have it in a more managable and sortable format

That's awesome man, I completely forgot about that. Will take a look.

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I started to archive a bit more of the old movie thread. I've done 50 pages worth. It's pretty slow and makes you crosseyed flipping between the thread and excel lol.

Here's what I got so far
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akhho8o91oDJdDJjcTRPUGpWVFBndmJqaHdQbDV1RXc

Volunteers to help are welcome :)

When, and if, it gets finished, I hope to have it in a more managable and sortable format

I didn't want to make the spreadsheet editable, so it's not easy to look through. When I get home I can upload the excel file somewhere so it's sortable by each column.

Awesome!

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
American Splendor - 8/10: I think I actually saw this when it came out, but my recollection was foggy, so I re-watched it last night. Paul Giamatti plays Harvey Pekar, the real-life writer of the comic American Splendor. I liked this quite a bit, more so in the first 2/3 of the film as I felt the last third got a little too sappy and a bit boring. Watching the dysfunctional Pekar trying to figure out his life, collecting records and comics, hanging out with Robert Crumb, and even stumbling through the beginnings of American Splendor was all awesome and fun and the way they sprinkled in real footage and interviews with the real people, including Pekar was very cool and worked pretty much seamlessly. It's actually a unique film in that sense in the way they spliced the real with re-creation. If the entire film had remained as strong as the first 75-85 minutes, this would have been an easy 9 for me, but some of the later stuff, while important to Pekar's overall story, just did resonate as well. Cool movie though.

KT

Totally agree on this take, KT. What an odd and fascinating movie. Paul Giamatti is awesome here. I need to rewatch this. It's been a few years.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Saw 2 movies over last weekend.

The Thing - 4/10. Who the heck greenlighted this sucker? Not scary and not anything. The only saving grace for this movie was the main female character was kinda cute.

My trailer-based prediction was spot on! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.