NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Anyone seen The Mill and the Cross?

http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111019/REVIEWS/111019983/-1/email_headlines

Looks like an art house film, so I'm sure there will be lots of haters but it sounds interesting to me.

Never heard of it, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

You won't be disappointed, co-star Dustin Hoffman is also excellent but I agree, only McQueen could off pulled this off so well. Also I browsed your collection, very nice indeed, I would recommend one more, the original "Flight of the Phoenix" with James Stewart, Richard Attenbourogh and Hardy Kruger is worthy addition..

Added to my list! :thumbsup:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My Kid Could Paint That - 7.5/10: A documentary about a 4 year old whose paintings entered the art world and were sold in galleries for significant amounts of money. I think the story itself is extremely interesting, but the documentary itself is a bit lacking. I was not huge fan of how much the director injected himself into the film, particularly in the latter moments. I also thought, at only around 80 minutes long, it left a lot of discussion out there which could have been explored much more deeply; particularly the though of what makes art and why people would think differently of a painting if it was done by someone other than whom they originally thought. As it is, I did find this very interesting, it just seemed to have a lot of untapped potential.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Kelsey Grammers "Boss" is getting mixed reviews. General consensus is good acting combined with mediocre writing equals 'meh'.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon

7.5/10
It was entirely to long. Condense it down to 1.5hrs and it would likely be an 8.5/10. Good movie but seemed to go one forever. Just seemed like they were trying to make it more than what it was.

jlee1

Jun 27, 2011
City of God 8/10
Great story line; nothing more to say here lol
Source Code 7/10
Great suspense and thriller

Not a movie, but I started a new tv series called How to Make it in America: 7/10
Madmen: 8/10
Encourage: 8/10

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Daft Punk's Electroma 6/10- It's short at 66ish minutes. No dialogue, no chases(1, sort of), no explosions(ok, there's 1), or anything else you might expect from a movie(except a nude scene, lol). On top of that, no Daft Punk music either(thought at least that would be, but).

That said, you get a very Artsy Euro style movie with lots of subtly. A movie that stimulates the brain a bit(to provide the story) and in that it does a decent job.

I liked it, but suspect many will hate it as it's not usual by any standard.

LookBehindYou

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Real Steel 7/10

Took my kid to see it. Was actually much better than I thought it would be. Think "Over the Top" except with robots instead of arm wrestling. I probably would've given it an 8, but some of the looks the kid gives are kind of rediculous. You can tell he provided someone with this puppy dog look during the audition and they decided to use it, over and over and over again.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Drive – 9/10: BRB going to buy me a satin scorpion jacket. What a cool movie. Style style style. From the synth-heavy soundtrack to the incredible LA imagery, I bought it and I’m drinking the Kool Aid. For all the reasons I liked it, my wife didn’t, citing it as being just “OK” and “kind of slow”. I know I was 11 or 12 when the Miami Vice craze hit, but I feel the same way about that then as I do about this now. In short, the content and story isn’t groundbreaking, but the way it’s presented is just damn cool.

Does it border on corny and a little deliberate? Probably, but who cares; it works IMO.

The Thing (1982) – 8.5/10: I remember some of my friends got to see this back in the day, but I was 9 back then and my parents weren’t onboard. So I see it a few years later (~ 30) and it was worth the wait. I knew the premise, but to see some of the scenes my friends described to me almost 30 years before come to life was really neat. When Old Man Diabeetus,
post-infection, assimilates that dude at the end by sticking his hand into his head – effing awesome. I remember this scene described to me so long ago.

Saw the trailer for The Thing remake and it looks retarded. I think it’s out now? I’ll be shocked if it’s worth seeing.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I got Blurays of the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy a week or so ago from amazon. I had seen the regular edition of all 3 of them movies before, but none of the extended editions.

I liked the regular versions, though they were good films, but thought maybe a bit overrated.

The extended editions were significantly better. The extra character development and humor really makes a huge difference.

Fellowship of the Ring: 8/10
Fellowship of the Ring Extended 8.5/10

Two Towers: 7.5/10
Two Towers Extended 8.5/10

Return of the King: 8.5/10
Return of the King Extended: 9.5/10

IMO The Two Towers was the weakest of the series, but, the extended edition balances it out.

Extended REALLY makes a difference in the Return of the King as well IMO... I could not contain my laughter at the scene
where the army is at the gates on their diversionary force so that Frodo can make it to the volcano without being spotted. That smile. What can be seen can not be unseen!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Descent: Part 2 - 5/10: I re-watched The Descent prior to watching this and the first film is still awesome, while this is a poorly written continuation that still has some decent jump scares, but ultimately falls flat on its face. The premise itself is quite absurd, a spelunking rescue team actually takes an old man, a middle aged mother, and a shocked amnesiac down into unmapped caves? Nonsense. Also, the ending was completely stupid and made no sense. On a positive note, some of the claustrophobia was still present, making for a few good atmospheric scenes and a couple of the deaths were cool. Too bad, it could have been fun, but not having the same writer and not having Marshall back really hurt. I've seen worse, but it was pretty damn disappointing considering the first film.

Take Shelter - 6/10: Gah, pretty disappointed. I'd been looking forward to this one for a while now and for some reason it left me underwhelmed. I loved Michael Shannon as the Father (he's always awesome), dealing with his dreams and visions, and Jessica Chastain was awesome too as the Mother. I was very wrapped up in the beginning of this film as their life is established and as things slowly start to reveal themselves. Scenes like where Shannon went to a counsellor for the first time are awesome, really showing how scared he is, and also showing an unwillingness to lose control. Unfortunately I felt like it started to drag later on and it just seemed a bit too long by the end of it all (I won't get into the ending which bothered me quite a bit). Maybe I was just in the wrong frame of mind, but this story, which I expected to be a tough, effective look at a family unravelling as the Father deals with his crumbling mind, but aside from several strong scenes and some excellent acting, on the whole it did not come together.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Thing (1982) – 8.5/10: I remember some of my friends got to see this back in the day, but I was 9 back then and my parents weren’t onboard. So I see it a few years later (~ 30) and it was worth the wait. I knew the premise, but to see some of the scenes my friends described to me almost 30 years before come to life was really neat. When Old Man Diabeetus,
post-infection, assimilates that dude at the end by sticking his hand into his head – effing awesome. I remember this scene described to me so long ago.

Saw the trailer for The Thing remake and it looks retarded. I think it’s out now? I’ll be shocked if it’s worth seeing.

Going to re-watch The Thing this week. Freaking love that movie.

I got Blurays of the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy a week or so ago from amazon. I had seen the regular edition of all 3 of them movies before, but none of the extended editions.

I liked the regular versions, though they were good films, but thought maybe a bit overrated.

The extended editions were significantly better. The extra character development and humor really makes a huge difference.

Fellowship of the Ring: 8/10
Fellowship of the Ring Extended 8.5/10

Two Towers: 7.5/10
Two Towers Extended 8.5/10

Return of the King: 8.5/10
Return of the King Extended: 9.5/10

IMO The Two Towers was the weakest of the series, but, the extended edition balances it out.

Extended REALLY makes a difference in the Return of the King as well IMO... I could not contain my laughter at the scene
where the army is at the gates on their diversionary force so that Frodo can make it to the volcano without being spotted. That smile. What can be seen can not be unseen!

Re-watched these myself a little while back and the whole set is pretty damn phenomenal. The longer run times really add a lot as far as I'm concerned. I remember a lot of people complaining about the multiple endings in ROTK, but it felt pretty natural to me and was a good wrap-up to the entire trilogy.

KT

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
Pontypool - 6/10

Starts off pretty good but towards the end it's another thing that makes you go hmmm.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
aaaanndddd I'm back :colbert:

Saw these over the weekend. The group as a whole were solidly good. Some were better than I expected, some less. Take Shelter was the only one that really stood out from the rest

The Woman in the Window - 8.5/10:
I went into this without much expectation, aside from knowing it was Fritz Lang. As far as the directing is concerned, it was very well done. But the story, which is quite important imo, when comparing all this film noir, was lacking. It stars Edward G. Robinson(my first time watching one of his movies) as a Professor who kills another man in self defense, and decides to cover it up with the help of a woman.

I don't know what it was, but something felt like it was missing. I have to imagine the ending was one of the first of its kind, and I don't think it hurt or helped the movie. While I didn't love the story, it was executed well. Solid solid movie, but not great.

Take Shelter - 9/10:
Finally it arrived at a theater nearby. Saw this Friday night. I've seen a pattern lately, whatever movie I see, usually on the day it comes out, is always in the furthest/smallest theatre at the 20 theater AMC lol. That's depressing, but I digress.

What a ride. I can't think of any movies as suspensful, this may even beat Jaws on that level(take that with a grain of salt). I can't see the mainstream movie watcher liking this at all, but damn it was good. I'm not quite sure about the message of the movie, but for pure entertainment value, very awesome.

It stars Michael Shannon as Curtis, a man who has dreams/visions of an apocolyptic type storm. However, he has a family history of mental illness. Conflicted about what to do, he begins to build out the storm shelter in his backyard, determined to protect his family.

I don't know if I've seen Shannon in any movie besides Groundhog Day(lol), but I don't like his character in Boardwalk Empire. But in Take Shelter he is PERFECT. Jessica Chastain plays her part perfectly as well, and Shea Whigham, who I was unsure about going into this, did a great job.
The music that is used repeatedly does a great job setting the mood, with some nice sound effects in certain scenes as well. Shannon is friggin incredible in some of the dreams. The suspense is what drives this movie, and it works.

The Trip - 7.5/10:
This was a fun movie. Until I just saw on IMDB I forgot this was a short tv series that was cut down into a movie, which I remember KT mentioning. I think that explains most of my problems with this. Great chemistry between Steve and Rob, and lots of laughs, but it all felt disjointed. It was all a bit rushed without much continuity. The serious parts, the phone calls and the ending, felt out of place and didn't mesh with everything else. The banter between the two guys was a little too random without any explanation. I still liked it, but there are a lot of flaws. As a series I imagine this was a lot better.

Double Indemnity - 8/10:
This was the disappointment of the group. While it was still good, I don't think it deserves to be on a top 100 movie list, which I've seen a few times. As film noir goes, I think there are many many better examples. It was a less than great intro into Billy Wilder for me.

An insurance rep lets himself be talked into a murder/insurance fraud scheme that arouses an insurance investigator's suspicions.

The insurance rep, Walter Neff, is played by Fred MacMurray. He is pretty good, but his female co-star Barbara Stanwyck is way better imo. She is the husband of the man they plan to kill. Coincidentally, Edward G. Robinson, who starred in The Woman in the Window, has a sizable role in this as the insurance investigator, one of Neff's colleagues. He is really great in this, particularly one scene in their boss' office. Awesome.

Anyway, the plot and movie as a whole just didn't do it for me. It was good but very average as far as good film noir goes.

Wheels on Meals - 8/10:
Old school Jackie Chan, how can you go wrong. After reading a little about this movie today I learned that it stars Chan along with two other guys who are a very famous comedy/martial arts trio in China. Apparently, or obviously, the other two guys aren't as famous or well known in America.

Anyway, it was really funny in the same way as Rumble in the Bronx, though this one is better/funnier. Story isn't great but it's executed better than Rumble(which unfortunately is the only Chan movies I can really compare this to, but it makes me eager to watch the rest of them). It's still very tongue in cheek, but not as corny as Rumble. The dubbing and production value still adds to the comedy, but somehow Wheels on Meals seems better made.

I won't go into the plot but if you like these older Jackie Chan movies(he should really make another, and not the stupid stuff he does now) then I highly suggest this if you haven't seen it.

^Wrote those yesterday at work. Last night I watched
On the Waterfront - 8.5/10:
Sometimes it's really hard watching classics for the first time, trying to fully appreciate them. I struggled with this one for a little while, but the second half picked up. Still, my rating is partly respect and partly me knowing that it's difficult to judge classics like this. It's a very good movie, but I can't help thinking it's overrated, as is Brando. I really liked the Priest character the most, even though I don't believe the religious message he preached. I think the basic plot and struggle was very interesting but it could have been done so much better, maybe if it was more subtle and understated.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Take Shelter - 6/10: Gah, pretty disappointed. KT

The story itself isn't that great, but the way this movie works, at least for me, is the intensity of it. My heart was pounding during many of the sequences, and the slow build ups in between all worked for me; The doctor/counselor visit for example as you mentioned.

I think it's similar to Drive in a way that they both are focused on doing one thing extremely well. Drive is slow and stylized while Take Shelter is slow and suspensful. I think people will dislike each for similar reasons. It's clear neither movie is a true film masterpiece, but I think they are both awesome for their own unique reasons. They are both very well crafted movies with a plot that is secondary.

But if Take Shelter didn't give you that suspense, I can see why you didn't like it. Just as if the style of Drive didn't appeal to the average moviegoer, you probably aren't going to be left with much to enjoy(though i'm not sure I totally agree with that). Without what I felt was crazy tension and suspense, I probably would have been bored with it. My girlfriend would probably fit into that category. She didn't like the ending either
she thought they should have been near the storm shelter when the big storm came. I don't think that would have been any better, I think I liked the real ending more than that, though I didn't exactly love it. I thought it worked fine, aside from the corny storm sign language lol. What were your problems with it?

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The story itself isn't that great, but the way this movie works, at least for me, is the intensity of it. My heart was pounding during many of the sequences, and the slow build ups in between all worked for me; The doctor/counselor visit for example as you mentioned.

I think it's similar to Drive in a way that they both are focused on doing one thing extremely well. Drive is slow and stylized while Take Shelter is slow and suspensful. I think people will dislike each for similar reasons. It's clear neither movie is a true film masterpiece, but I think they are both awesome for their own unique reasons. They are both very well crafted movies with a plot that is secondary.

But if Take Shelter didn't give you that suspense, I can see why you didn't like it. Just as if the style of Drive didn't appeal to the average moviegoer, you probably aren't going to be left with much to enjoy(though i'm not sure I totally agree with that). Without what I felt was crazy tension and suspense, I probably would have been bored with it. My girlfriend would probably fit into that category. She didn't like the ending either
she thought they should have been near the storm shelter when the big storm came. I don't think that would have been any better, I think I liked the real ending more than that, though I didn't exactly love it. I thought it worked fine, aside from the corny storm sign language lol. What were your problems with it?

I did feel some of the suspense in the beginning, but that kind of went away relatively early on. I liked the connection between seeing the friends/family in his visions, then reacting to them in real life. That was very interesting.

I think the seeming realization at the end that he was, I guess, clairvoyant and was seeing the future really diminished how I felt about the rest of the film. To be honest I'm not even sure why, as it should not really matter either way, since the impact to his relationships would have been the same regardless, but I felt kind of cheated that it seemingly turned into some religious thing. I also don't understand how he was seeing those zombie people, or whatever they were, in his visions; what did that have to do with storms? Everything else seemed to become real, why not the zombies? Or were they just a red herring?

It's hard to pinpoint exactly why I was disappointed, but I just was not feeling it for some reason. I may need to try it out again once it's out on Blu.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
12 Angry Men - 9.5/10

Watched this classic recently for the first time. Not much to say about this.. as most of you have already watched this many times. Overall, I am pretty impressed with this movie.. script and acting feel extremely natural.

Also, please don't ever try to remake this move.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Pontypool - 6/10

Starts off pretty good but towards the end it's another thing that makes you go hmmm.

It's an odd film, but I agree, the first half or more is pretty awesome, but it gets strange and even kind of silly near the end to sort of ruin things. Apparently there is a sequel or a prequel in the works. :hmm:

The Woman in the Window - 8.5/10:
I went into this without much expectation, aside from knowing it was Fritz Lang. As far as the directing is concerned, it was very well done. But the story, which is quite important imo, when comparing all this film noir, was lacking. It stars Edward G. Robinson(my first time watching one of his movies) as a Professor who kills another man in self defense, and decides to cover it up with the help of a woman.

I don't know what it was, but something felt like it was missing. I have to imagine the ending was one of the first of its kind, and I don't think it hurt or helped the movie. While I didn't love the story, it was executed well. Solid solid movie, but not great.

Take Shelter - 9/10:
Finally it arrived at a theater nearby. Saw this Friday night. I've seen a pattern lately, whatever movie I see, usually on the day it comes out, is always in the furthest/smallest theatre at the 20 theater AMC lol. That's depressing, but I digress.

What a ride. I can't think of any movies as suspensful, this may even beat Jaws on that level(take that with a grain of salt). I can't see the mainstream movie watcher liking this at all, but damn it was good. I'm not quite sure about the message of the movie, but for pure entertainment value, very awesome.

It stars Michael Shannon as Curtis, a man who has dreams/visions of an apocolyptic type storm. However, he has a family history of mental illness. Conflicted about what to do, he begins to build out the storm shelter in his backyard, determined to protect his family.

I don't know if I've seen Shannon in any movie besides Groundhog Day(lol), but I don't like his character in Boardwalk Empire. But in Take Shelter he is PERFECT. Jessica Chastain plays her part perfectly as well, and Shea Whigham, who I was unsure about going into this, did a great job.
The music that is used repeatedly does a great job setting the mood, with some nice sound effects in certain scenes as well. Shannon is friggin incredible in some of the dreams. The suspense is what drives this movie, and it works.

The Trip - 7.5/10:
This was a fun movie. Until I just saw on IMDB I forgot this was a short tv series that was cut down into a movie, which I remember KT mentioning. I think that explains most of my problems with this. Great chemistry between Steve and Rob, and lots of laughs, but it all felt disjointed. It was all a bit rushed without much continuity. The serious parts, the phone calls and the ending, felt out of place and didn't mesh with everything else. The banter between the two guys was a little too random without any explanation. I still liked it, but there are a lot of flaws. As a series I imagine this was a lot better.

You were more generous than me on Lady in the Window. I did like it, but I found it kind of clumsy and Robinson was kind of odd as the lead. Still decent, but not my favourite noir that's for sure.

I'm sure you've seen Michael Shannon in other stuff, he's been a million things. Notably Revolutionary Road and The Runaways sort of recently. If you have a chance, I would check out Bug; it's a pretty simple film, adapted from a play, but he is freaking amazing in it.

I have The Trip series at home now, ready to watch. I'll be interested to see if it works better. I think the serious bits may have a bit more time to flush out and make more sense and I'm sure there will be more funny stuff too.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
12 Angry Men - 9.5/10

Watched this classic recently for the first time. Not much to say about this.. as most of you have already watched this many times. Overall, I am pretty impressed with this movie.. script and acting feel extremely natural.

Also, please don't ever try to remake this move.

A Russian film maker remade it and apparently it is quite good, but I've yet to see it myself: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488478/

You're right though, there is really nothing you can improve on there.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I feel you on that. I don't think there was much of a message or theme to the movie, at least that I felt was important to my enjoyment of it, so maybe that's why I wasn't too caught up in whether it was religious. I'm really not sure about the zombies, I honestly didn't even remember them until you mentioned it. If the storm was meant to be some sort of apocolyptic event, I'm not sure what they were. Maybe he was being dragged down into hell? And building the storm shelter was a metaphor for fixing up his life so he would be saved? That doesn't seem likely, especially considering the end.

I really didn't read too much into the fact that he did see the future in his dreams. I guess I didn't really think it was important, even considering the end could have been another vision(don't think it was). I just enjoyed the suspense and overall execution of the movie, and didn't care much about the underlying meaning. Maybe that's a shitty point of view though :)

Have you seen Nichols' other movie? I haven't but here's the imdb summary

Shotgun Stories tracks a feud that erupts between two sets of half brothers following the death of their father. Set against the cotton fields and back roads of Southeast Arkansas, these brothers discover the lengths to which each will go to protect their family

Watching that might shed some light on his intentions with Take Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.