NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
The Town - very good heist flick, giving it a 9.

For as few movies as I watch, it probably rates a 10, but I know movie buffs will knock it a few notches for this or that.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Same as above...

The Town - 9/10
Really good story, Affleck can still write and act. There was even great weapons handling and knowledge which is always a plus when I watch movies. Only problem was I'm not quite sure how the FBI got on to who was doing the bank robberies so quickly...they seemed to be picking up on details that weren't presented.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 6/10
Better than the second, good action movie, but I'm getting really sick of Shia LaBoeuf do the same character over and over and over and over and over, etc. I'm not a fan of Megan Fox since she started all her plastic replacement, but she did act better than Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. I also get that some movies like to be preachy, but this one had all the subtlety of a wrecking ball.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) 9.5/10.
Never watched classic Westerns and this was quite a bit different from what I was expecting of one. It was just played so straight -- the lighthearted sections were calmly lighthearted, and the tense sections weren't overbearingly heavy. No contrived fight scenes or absurdly stereotyped characters. The movie didn't feel old at all; the only thing that really dates it is the lack of cynicism present, which made for quite a pleasant journey.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Chinatown - 9/10:
The classic. Nicholson, Polanski, Dunaway. I saw this at least 6 years ago, didn't remember it other than I know I didn't appreciate it at the time. After watching it this weekend, it's clear that it's a film you need to see twice to fully appreciate(I only count myself as seeing it once). Watching for the first time, the plot seems a bit confusing and I found myself consciously trying to keep up. That seemed to keep me from just enjoying the acting, directing, and the overall story. During the beginning of the movie I was a bit underwhelmed, but after the amazing last act, I immediately started to appreciate the beginning more than while I was watching it.

It's a great great movie, but I still think it might be a tad overrated. I like two Nicholson movies more than this one, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Five Easy Pieces. I think I also prefer one of the few other Polanski movies I've seen, Cul-De-Sac, even though I may have this rated higher. Maybe that's personal preference, or the fact that I didn't see Chinatown when it was first released, but that's how I see it.

The Thing - 8/10:
John Carpenter's version. Wanted an easy watch on Netflix and this was what I picked. Very solid movie for the genre, one that I'm not a huge fan of. This movie had a ton of tension, great mood throughout. The scene with the heated copper wire was awesome. A few other very cool scenes, and the effects were really fun, I laughed in shock with most of the "transformations" lol, so funny. I'd like to see the original.

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired - 8/10:
After watching Chinatown the night before, this was timely. This is a documentary of course, and it focuses on Polanski's criminal trial, with a little background of him thrown in. I didn't know much about his or his crime, only the very basics. After watching this, I really feel bad for the guy. He's had a crazy life with his childhood and his wife, Sharon Tate. He did something unsavory, but seemingly not that terrible considering the circumstances. The big thing I learned from the documentary though, is how he was jerked around by the judge in his case, who kept changing his mind after agreeing to certain terms of Polanski's punishment. To me, the documentary, while clearly painting Polanski in a good light, was still honest and did not manipulate the facts of the case. I recommend this to anyone curious about the subject.

Nov 29, 2006
Just watched X-Men: First Class last night. 9/10

Movie was fun as hell to watch. Holy crap. Sound effects and LFE were awesome.

The LFE i thought was good, but overdone. Too many scenes that didnt require it had way too much bass for no reason what so ever. But the scenes that did require bass :thumbsup:

Nov 29, 2006
Tyrannosaur - 9.5/10: This film has just vaulted into my top 3-5 films of the year so far. Such a dark, disturbing, yet strangely uplifting film. It's about a troubled older man and a troubled woman who cross paths and end up trying to save each other. Peter Mullan is awesome as a true anti-hero; I knew I had seen him in many things, but I remembered him most from Boy A and while he was great in that, this role is probably the best I've seen him. However the true standout is Olivia Colman; she is an absolute revelation and there is one scene in-particular where she floored me. All of the performances are great and Paddy Considine's writing/directing are superb; I really felt like I lived in this dishevelled little English town for the 90 minutes, on a journey with two very troubled and complex individuals. What an amazing debut from Considine.

KT

Can't wait to see this one after posting the trailer earlier. Glad you liked it and i hope i come away with the same feelings the trailer gave me while watching it. Now to just wait for it on video.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sushi: The Global Catch - 6.5/10: is a pretty concise, at only 74 minutes long, documentary looking at the world appetite for sushi and blue-fin tuna in-particular. As a big food fan I found this somewhat interesting; it did a good job of showing not only the issues surrounding the growing appetite for sushi, but also some of the solutions people are working on to alleviate the problem of diminishing blue-fin stocks. My biggest problem was the presentation of the film as it felt like a made for TV documentary, right down to the cheesy music. This is totally the type of thing I would watch on Discovery or something like that, it is definitely not cinematic. So check it out if it comes to TV and you like food/sushi.

The Kid With a Bike (Le gamin au vélo) - 4/10: The new Dardenne Brothers' film. I had a tough time with this one as it is very much centralized on the on the main character Cyril (The Kid) and I found him extremely annoying. I realize this is likely a very accurate portrayal of how young kids act when they are abandoned by essentially everyone, but I just found the kid to an obnoxious, petulant brat and I could not sympathize. I also was not sure of the motivations of the lady in this film; why did she suddenly decide to take him in? Was she just a nice person, or was it supposed to be because she was of a certain age without kids? I did like the ending of the film a lot and there were certain pieces I thought were well done, but this one was just not for me and the cold, dark place where my heart should be.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 9/10: This 1948 classic, which I had never seen, is awesome. A fantastic tale of greed as the three men work their way into the Mexican mountainside in hopes of finding their fortunes as prospectors. Bogart is awesome, as always, and the guy that played Howard, the grizzled prospector guiding Bogart and his compatriot was awesome too. Such a great blend of characters and personalities and watching things unravel as time passes is just great. It was cool to finally see the movie where "we don't need no stinking badges" comes from. Minor quibbles with a few of the character choices, but otherwise just a great film!

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) 9.5/10.
Never watched classic Westerns and this was quite a bit different from what I was expecting of one. It was just played so straight -- the lighthearted sections were calmly lighthearted, and the tense sections weren't overbearingly heavy. No contrived fight scenes or absurdly stereotyped characters. The movie didn't feel old at all; the only thing that really dates it is the lack of cynicism present, which made for quite a pleasant journey.

Yeah I re-watched this a little while ago. It remains one of my favourite movies ever. Truly a classic.

Can't wait to see this one after posting the trailer earlier. Glad you liked it and i hope i come away with the same feelings the trailer gave me while watching it. Now to just wait for it on video.

I hope you get to see it and can post your thoughts. It's a tough film in parts, but wow, such a force of nature with great performances.

KT

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Papillion. Seriously one of the best movies ever and definately the best Steve Maqueen movie ever. Have it on DVD. Saw it last night for the 1000th time. Saw it in the theater in 1973 when I was 7 and loved it ever since. Rated PG, loads of violence, decapitation scene, nudity, throat slit scene. man, PG back in the day is todays R. The original planet of the apes was rated G, had chuck heston neked, tons of shooting and violence. Great flick.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Hospital - 7/10: A film from the 70's about a suicidal doctor, played amazingly by George C. Scott, who sees incompetence and negligence all around him, causing disillusionment with entire medical profession. I liked this quite a bit, for about the first hour or so. It's very dark satire and even has a bit of a mystery element as things keep going wrong and people keep dying. Scott is the man here (looks like he was nominated for this role and lost to Hackman for the French Connection, which is hard to argue with); he owns the screen and has some fantastic scenes with monologues that really grab you. Unfortunately after about the 2/3 mark, the film takes some strange turns, with characters making odd decisions that I never really bought into and a wrap-up that comes far too quickly and a bit out of nowhere. Too bad because it was great up until that point.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Papillion. Seriously one of the best movies ever and definately the best Steve Maqueen movie ever. Have it on DVD. Saw it last night for the 1000th time. Saw it in the theater in 1973 when I was 7 and loved it ever since. Rated PG, loads of violence, decapitation scene, nudity, throat slit scene. man, PG back in the day is todays R. The original planet of the apes was rated G, had chuck heston neked, tons of shooting and violence. Great flick.

Huh, I read the book when I was a kid, but have never seen the film. I'll have to check it out.

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The Crow - 8/10

All I have to say is it has aged pretty damn well. I saw this one recently for the first time.. and was pleasantly surprised with the technical values. The script does not provide much room for any kind of acting though. It is truly sad that this movie has to be almost always associated with the tragic event.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Crow - 8/10

All I have to say is it has aged pretty damn well. I saw this one recently for the first time.. and was pleasantly surprised with the technical values. The script does not provide much room for any kind of acting though. It is truly sad that this movie has to be almost always associated with the tragic event.

I think the Blu-ray just came out. May need to pick it up. :hmm:

I believe they are re-making this movie too.

KT

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 2.5/10

I think when I was about 11, I'd probably have given this a 7/10. But this is just a rottenly shallow movie, though marginly better than the 2nd one only because it is a tad more coherent. This entire series is a testament to everything people hate about Michael Bay's shallow, skittish, overly visual style. The acting was bad, the dialogue was brutal, the new girl was so ridiculous in her role as eye candy that it (and keep this in the context of this ridiculous film) might have been the greatest suspension of disbelief. Shia himself makes me want to punch him through the screen. But the greatest tragedy of this flick is WTF were Frances McDormand and John Malkovich doing in this B grade crapfest? Is work that hard to come by these days? McDormand is a fantastic actress so miscast in this role that it hurt watching her. Malkovich, at least, looked like he was having fun hamming it up, as he realized that if it's gonna be awful, might as well go with it. John Turturro was also glaringly bad/annoying, and I lost some respect for him as an actor for agreeing to another paycheck for this one.

Win Win - 9.5/10

Tom McCarthy nails it. I am in the small minority that thinks this film is better than The Station Agent, because that movie is too eclectic, too oddball in terms of setting and character. This movie is so much easier to relate to both character and setting. The story is tight, fully realized, and contained, without much extraneous exposition or indulgence. The cast is an ensemble and they all deliver without overdoing it. Giamatti is excellent (as usual) - flawed, yet sincere. Tambour is solid, funny, and completely believeable. And I really enjoyed Cannavale as the rich but frustrated buddy looking for something to re-invigorate his frustrating life. And the new kid who plays the wrestler pulls off the introvert role with a very delicate balance, though he wobbles just a bit here and there. It's not a perfect movie, but it is a damn fine one, and in the context of the crapfest in the cineplexes these days, it dwarfs them in execution & delivery. I walked out of this one (local theater that serves beer/food & seats you in comfy leather chairs) happy that I had spent time with it. For the first time in a while, a movie made me feel satisfied, like a really excellent meal or particularly good drink.

I noticed it's in the Red Box machines. Do yourself a favor and drop the $1.25 to pick it up. you won't be disappointed.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I believe they are re-making this movie too.

Wow!.. I did not know that.

Anyway, I hit up wiki.. and looks like all is not well with that project.

On December 14, 2008, Stephen Norrington announced in Variety that he planned to write and direct a "reinvention" of The Crow. Norrington distinguished between the original and his remake: "Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style." Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is currently negotiating with Edward R. Pressman for both the film's rights and financing.

Norrington later stepped out of the project and, on April 7, 2011, it was announced that 28 Weeks Later director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo had been chosen to direct the film, which has since been regarded as a reboot. Relativity Media's Tooley will serve as executive producer, while Jose Ibanez, Jon Katz and Jesus de la Vega will serve as co-producers. Bradley Cooper was in talks to play the lead. It was reported on April 20, 2011 that the film is reportedly undergoing some legal battles. In late June 2011, Relativity Media announced their plans to continue in mid-lawsuit and had tapped Alex Tse, who co-wrote the Watchmen film. In mid-August 2011, it was announced that Cooper has dropped out due to scheduling difficulties and Mark Wahlberg, who was originally in talks for the lead in 2010, is up for the part, with also rumors of Ryan Gosling possibly taking the role. In October 2011 it was reported that Fresnadillo had departed the project as well.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Spirited Away. Saw it for the 50th time last night. Definately one of Miyazaki's best.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
District 9 - 9/10 - Was on TV this past weekend. WOW. I liked it in the theater when it first came out, but it was amazing seeing it on TV again. Very well paced movie.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wow!.. I did not know that.

Anyway, I hit up wiki.. and looks like all is not well with that project.

What a freaking disaster. Rarely does a good film come out of that much turmoil.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
35 Shots of Rum (35 rhums) - 8.5/10: A French film from Claire Denis about an a single father taking care of his daughter in Paris. This is a slow, like molasses slow, film that leaves a lot of things open-ended and I fully understand how someone could find this boring and frustrating, but I really liked it. It felt very intimate, with many things left unsaid, but as you spend more and more time with these people you get to actually feel their relationships and what they are going through. I really loved the music here too; it seems to come in at the perfect moments and works very well, then goes away and leaves silence when it's appropriate. A very well presented film, though I have to admit the end left me wondering what had actually happened in those final few scenes. Anyway, liked it quite a bit; a good rainy day movie if you have the time and patience to sit back, relax, and live with these characters for 100 minutes.

KT

Sep 29, 2004
The Crow - 8/10

Ya, Crow is awesome.

As a sidenote, I never saw anyone review Spawn. I think Spawn falls into the Crow camp. If you like Crow, you will like Spawn. Spawn has not aged as well though. Still well done. John Leguizamo was frickin' awesome in this.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Huh, I read the book when I was a kid, but have never seen the film. I'll have to check it out.

KT

You won't be disappointed, co-star Dustin Hoffman is also excellent but I agree, only McQueen could off pulled this off so well. Also I browsed your collection, very nice indeed, I would recommend one more, the original "Flight of the Phoenix" with James Stewart, Richard Attenbourogh and Hardy Kruger is worthy addition..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.