NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
FTFY.

You better edit and add those spoiler tags ASAP. :colbert:

Thanks. I already read the spoiler, and was a little disappointed to have read it. I'm only on book 3 now, but I had been successful in avoiding any big spoilers up until that point.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
FTFY.

You better edit and add those spoiler tags ASAP. :colbert:

Why would he?

The movie and the saying has been around long enough that it's like saying Vader is Luke's father.

Spoiler tags need to be removed from the forums really and if people don't want to read spoilers they can simply not read a review of the movie the person said they watched.

Hey%2BDad%2B-%2BSnap%2BKills%2BDumbledore.jpg

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Why would he?

The movie and the saying has been around long enough that it's like saying Vader is Luke's father.

Spoiler tags need to be removed from the forums really and if people don't want to read spoilers they can simply not read a review of the movie the person said they watched.

Hey%2BDad%2B-%2BSnap%2BKills%2BDumbledore.jpg

I know that. I said it with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Cedar Rapids 8/10

Rock solid. John C. Reiley has got to be one of the best actors alive today for his range. It's crazy how funny he can be, and how serious of a role he can play too. Ed Helms is great too. The show is just kitschy perfect.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Not sure if serious.

I'm serious. I've read the first 2 books, though have gotten a little sidetracked on the third. I've intentionally avoided watching any of the movies. I was completely unaware that "Snape kills Dumbledore" until I read his comment.

Oh, and I disagree about the spoiler tag removal. Part of the enjoyment of reading a book or watching a movie is NOT knowing what's going to happen later on in the story. Sometimes you accidentally read what you didn't intend to, as well. If this sensitive information was respectfully covered by spoiler tags, these accidents are much less likely to happen.

Last edited:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Moon [8/10] - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

Other than reading a number of positive reviews, and references that this was more of a "sci-fi" movie than lots of other so-called sci-fi movies that have come out lately, I didn't know any more about this movie than a basic synopsis would give me. That said, I was actually a little caught off guard at first when
the other Sam Bell turns out to be a real, living clone, and not just in his imagination.
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Definitely worth watching.

Dark City (Director's Cut) [7.5/10] - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118929/

After watching the first 10-15 minutes of this movie, I thought it was going to be a very difficult movie to follow. In some ways it was, but overall it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Being a 13 year-old movie at this point, the special effects were still pretty good, or at least not laughably bad. I've read that the director's cut of this film (which I watched) is a LOT different than the original, theatrical release, so I may try to get a hold of the theatrical version for comparison's sake. I'm not sure how crazy about the story I was/am, but it kept my interest. I thought the acting was pretty well done overall; nothing stood out for me as specifically shoddy. Another one worth watching.

Source Code [8/10] - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/

Watched this last night. Like others have said, the pacing of this movie is very good. Significant details of the plot are unveiled very early on, so you're not left with this overlong ramp up period waiting for the "good stuff" to happen. The way in which Jake G's character chooses to investigate the incident on the train seemed a little odd to me; one of those "I would have done it differently" sort of things. Overall it was a very entertaining movie, with everything necessary to provide an enjoyable movie-watching experience.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I really wish they would do dust & scratch correction on more movies. Not much point in transferring to DVD or blu-ray if its just gonna look like ass.
Color correction would be nice too but that may be asking a bit much.

George Lucas did it, god bless him. But then he fucked up all the scenes, the beautiful being!
:mad:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Captain America: The First Avenger - 4.5/10: I think I may be done with origin stories; I found this movie to be pretty damn boring, which sucks because I had really been looking forward to it. There was pretty much nothing new in the way the superhero origin story is done, aside from being set in the 40's, and by the end of the film (which actually had the most interesting part of the film) I was left feeling very 'meh'. The actors did pretty well with what they had (Tommy Lee Jones was particularly enjoyable as the crusty Sergeant) but it just felt very mundane and about half way through the film I found myself wondering about what the extra bit after the credits would be rather than what was actually happening on screen.

The Hills Run Red - 5/10: Low-budget horror film from a couple of years ago about a young guy obsessed with a lost horror movie that has all kinds of mystery attached to it. The guy and his friends go to the woods with the daughter of the original director and mayhem ensues! The acting is pretty poor in this film and it seems to hit most regular horror notes, but I didn't hate the thing and actually enjoyed a couple of the deaths (and boobs). Adequate for a cheap, late night slasher flick.

The Lookout - 7.5/10: Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars, and is very good, as a kid who ends up with some mild frontal-lobe brain damage after a massive car accident. I really liked this movie; the first half of the film is spent with Levitt dealing with his handicap and how his life has completely changed and the second half turns into something a bit more as he attempts to reclaim his former self. This is a good drama; it takes a little bit to get going, but has some good performances and a nice story to pull everything together. You feel Levitt's frustrations with his life and the way everything unfolds is believable and even touching in parts. Jeff Daniels adds some great character as Levitt's blind roommate. Good little movie.

Strange Circus (Kimyô na sâkasu) - 6.5/10: Boy, this director sure likes to deal with fucked up families. This is from the guy that did Cold Fish, which was one of my favourite films of last year and this film may be even more disturbing that that, but unfortunately it's nowhere near as good. At it's core this is the story of a girl who is repeatedly raped by her Father ad the struggle of the character to recall things later in life through writing and other things, but this film takes so many strange twists and turns, along with unusual interludes, that it feels a little haphazard and uncoordinated at times. There was a lot of interesting and crazy stuff in here, but I wish he would have toned down some of the more extraneous piece to give a tighter, more coherent film. I liked it, but it could have been so much better.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Killing - 9/10:
Stanley Kubrick's 1956 film noir. I watched this for the first time a few nights ago; I wanted something short before bed, and at 85 minutes this was perfect. I wish more films were like this, straight and to the point. The movie is about a heist at a race track, the planning, the execution, and aftermath. It was quick, but it didn't feel rushed, nor were there any lulls in the story, well paced.

Sterling Hayden was very good in the lead role, and the supporting cast was solid. Apparently Rodney Dangerfield is an extra during the
bar fight scene
but I haven't gone back to check. And this movie got Kubrick hired to direct Paths of Glory, coincidentally another short film, which I'll probably watch soon.

Oh I missed that you watched this. Great movie! Timothy Carey is my favourite character in this; when he is introduced and he is standing there, stroking a kitten (I think it was a kitten) I loved it! This giant of a guy with crazy mannerisms, holding this little thing in his hand and talking business. Pure awesome. :awe:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
He is awesome in it. Both of his scenes were great

not from the killing, but his imdb photo is hilarious

MV5BMTUxMTgyMzk1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkwNDQzMQ@@._V1._SY314_CR22,0,214,314_.jpg

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The Adjustment Bureau - 8/10 well-done SF/fantasy movie based on a Phillip K Dick short story, with good performances by Matt Damon and Anthony Mackie.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Charade - 8/10:
Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, among some others, in this comedy/mystery. Hepburn's husband is murdered, and the basic plot of the movie revolves around people trying to locate $250,000 that he left behind.

It's quite funny, there are a lot of laughs, but the plot seemed kind of played out. Obviously watching it 40+ years after it was made influenced that, and I'm sure this was one of the originals. Still, it was entertaining, if not slightly too long imo. My girlfriend preferred this to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which we just watched, while I was the opposite, by a wide margin.

The Exterminating Angel - 9/10:
Wow. My first Luis Bunuel movie. Won't be my last for sure.
Following an elegant dinner party, the guests begin to realize that they can't leave the house in this absurdist satire written and directed by surrealist maestro Luis Buñuel.
I enjoyed the first third more than the rest, but this was pretty amazing all around. I'm having trouble putting words to my thoughts to explain, but this is a must see if you haven't already. Unless of course your idea of a good movie is transformers, when I would urge you to stay far away :)

I'm sure there was a lot I missed and didn't understand fully, so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A man for all Seasons - 7/10: Well enough made movie, but they focused too much on unimportant details and made too much ham. I guess that was considered good movie acting in the 60's. But most other films from that time weren't so annoying.
They also took too many creative liberties. Perhaps in the 60's they also didn't have much on this subject in the history books, or perhaps in 40 years so much bullshit has been put into the history books that I have a distorted perception of matters. It certainly didnt come close to my interpretations of events. This is a story which needs to be told better. Perhaps a mini-series on TV.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
[REC] - 8/10 Wow I was on the edge of my seat toward the end of this. I'd never seen the "found footage" style so well done.

One of the best found footage films ever. I picked up the Blu-ray 2-pack and re-watched [REC] and it is still very good; probably still around an 8 for me as well. Then I watched:

[REC] 2 - 6/10: Nowhere near as good as the first film, but still relatively enjoyable. This starts right from where the first film ends and aside from missing a lot of the surprise of the first film (it still has some) it also loses some of the interesting characters of the first film, particularly the main reporter girl who was the driving force of the first film. It's ok, but it's nowhere near as good as the first film.

Horrible Bosses - 5.5/10: I was hoping for a lot more funny and while I like Jason Bateman and Jason Sudeikis a lot, I really, really dislike Charlie Day, he's freaking terrible and pretty much ruins the movie for me. Such an obnoxious character and actor, I would have been much happier with just the other two guys and their predicaments. Colin Farrell was by far the funniest character in the film, but he's only on screen for something like five minutes and while I chuckled in other parts throughout the film, I rarely laughed out loud. It was an amusing film, but not really a funny film. I laughed way more in Bridesmaids.

KT

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
One of the best found footage films ever. I picked up the Blu-ray 2-pack and re-watched [REC] and it is still very good; probably still around an 8 for me as well. Then I watched:

[REC] 2 - 6/10: Nowhere near as good as the first film, but still relatively enjoyable. This starts right from where the first film ends and aside from missing a lot of the surprise of the first film (it still has some) it also loses some of the interesting characters of the first film, particularly the main reporter girl who was the driving force of the first film. It's ok, but it's nowhere near as good as the first film.

Yeah I watched this shortly after. It was cool that they took it in a different direction and built the mythology behind the "virus." I also read that they're making two more in the franchise with one being a prequel. It should be interesting to see how it all comes together.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
What, there's a jonah hill sam rockwell comedy with a release date of august 5th and it doesn't even have a trailer? Seems like maybe it will be delayed? Directed by the pineapple express/your highness guy. I'm sure it's not that great but it may get me out to the theater assuming it gets there

Nov 7, 2000
Hot Tub Time Machine - 6.6/10 - Not as funny as I was hoping, but somehow 'smarter'? Not terrible by any means, pretty much what I expected. Maybe I would have found it funnier if I wasn't half asleep while watching.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Horrible Bosses - 5.5/10: I was hoping for a lot more funny and while I like Jason Bateman and Jason Sudeikis a lot, I really, really dislike Charlie Day, he's freaking terrible and pretty much ruins the movie for me. Such an obnoxious character and actor, I would have been much happier with just the other two guys and their predicaments. Colin Farrell was by far the funniest character in the film, but he's only on screen for something like five minutes and while I chuckled in other parts throughout the film, I rarely laughed out loud. It was an amusing film, but not really a funny film. I laughed way more in Bridesmaids.

I was a bit dissapoinetd when I read your review. I thought I would like the movie based on casting alone. I don't have much hatred towards Charlie.. I like him in IASIP. I did not get turned off by him in the movie at all. IMO, the director/ writers and the editing deparment made an exteremely shoddy work of the script. There were a few genuine laughs here and there.. I thought Kevin Spacey and Aniston did their part pretty well, but the writing is a bit sloppy.. and the director spends too much time on the useless stuff.. and oh the flaws.

During the intro Bateman narrates how he does not have any time.. and yet he hangs out at the bar on a regular basis. I just did not get Ed Helms character.. he seemed like a nice guy at first, but the way his charater suddenly chaged to "killing boss mode" took me by surprise, and not in a god way. Also, why the fuck does Bateman pass on the stone to Ed Helms when he knows there is a key inside it? I mean he was standing closest to the door. And what happened to the coke they all destroyed? Too many forced bits..

Extremely dissapointed by this movie overall. Music is not good... the flow of plot is not good, movie feels overly long.. and I just did not feel connected.. or interested. 5/10

Oh, and what is with DeNiro acting in B rated movies?

Seven days in Utopia and Warrior have cliche written all over them, but the casting in those movies make me think otherwise, should wait and see.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Daybreakers - 7/10 - (Netflix streaming) - Aussie drama with vampires, not really a monster movie. They did a pretty good job of setting up a world where almost all of the population are vampires living more or less normally, with the few remaining humans treated as cattle.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
What, there's a jonah hill sam rockwell comedy with a release date of august 5th and it doesn't even have a trailer? Seems like maybe it will be delayed? Directed by the pineapple express/your highness guy. I'm sure it's not that great but it may get me out to the theater assuming it gets there

The Sitter; I remember hearing about it a while ago, but it fell completely off my radar. Sounds interesting.

Man, I just went through his entire filmography on there and I'm not sure I've seen any of those movies. Maybe on TV though. :hmm:

I was a bit dissapoinetd when I read your review. I thought I would like the movie based on casting alone. I don't have much hatred towards Charlie.. I like him in IASIP. I did not get turned off by him in the movie at all. IMO, the director/ writers and the editing deparment made an exteremely shoddy work of the script. There were a few genuine laughs here and there.. I thought Kevin Spacey and Aniston did their part pretty well, but the writing is a bit sloppy.. and the director spends too much time on the useless stuff.. and oh the flaws.

During the intro Bateman narrates how he does not have any time.. and yet he hangs out at the bar on a regular basis. I just did not get Ed Helms character.. he seemed like a nice guy at first, but the way his charater suddenly chaged to "killing boss mode" took me by surprise, and not in a god way. Also, why the fuck does Bateman pass on the stone to Ed Helms when he knows there is a key inside it? I mean he was standing closest to the door. And what happened to the coke they all destroyed? Too many forced bits..

Extremely dissapointed by this movie overall. Music is not good... the flow of plot is not good, movie feels overly long.. and I just did not feel connected.. or interested. 5/10

I think you mean Jason Sudeikis.

I never liked It's Always Sunny, so it already had that going against it, but yeah, it was poorly executed. The concept could be very funny, but to me it just did not fully commit to this being a true dark comedy. If they had gone a little farther with everything, I would have been happier.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.