NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 992 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Episode 11 last night was good Ted Lasso. This season has had some more downs than the previous two but last night was vintage quality. You know, vintage Ted Lasso.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Just borrowed this 4K movies series from the library. 4K UHD blu-rays >>>> 4K streaming. :D
ST-TNG movies are blu-ray (1080P), waiting for the 4K to be available.

20230527_102756.jpg

Reactions: Kaido and Ken g6

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
PSA-True Lies is now free on Youtube. Not sure how long it will last, they have a tendency to switch the better movies out fast.

First time I've seen it streamed for free. My favorite Arnie movie, and directed by James Cameron. All the major actors do a tremendous job-for Tom Arnold it was the best performance of his career (in all honesty the only time I could tolerate him). Personal rating 9/10.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
PSA-True Lies is now free on Youtube. Not sure how long it will last, they have a tendency to switch the better movies out fast.

First time I've seen it streamed for free. My favorite Arnie movie, and directed by James Cameron. All the major actors do a tremendous job-for Tom Arnold it was the best performance of his career (in all honesty the only time I could tolerate him). Personal rating 9/10.
too bad the armold went into politics and couldnt make true lies 2 :(

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Hobo With A Shotgun - 6.5/10

Rutger Hauer stars in this cyper-punk horror explotation film. Part of me remembers back to Night of the Comet and the punks in the shopping mall.

The action is nonstop, the kill scenes are epic, blood endlessly pours, the foul mouthed dialogue is never-ending, and its all ridiculously over the top in every way.

Director nailed his imagery as it never strays from its intended path and does not devolve into a satirical flic.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hobo With A Shotgun - 6.5/10

Rutger Hauer stars in this cyper-punk horror explotation film. Part of me remembers back to Night of the Comet and the punks in the shopping mall.

The action is nonstop, the kill scenes are epic, blood endlessly pours, the foul mouthed dialogue is never-ending, and its all ridiculously over the top in every way.

Director nailed his imagery as it never strays from its intended path and does not devolve into a satirical flic.

You had me @ "Rutger Hauer cyber-punk" !! :p

Screen_Shot_2017_08_29_at_4.27.44_PM.png

However .... how exactly does one "exploit" a "cyber-punk" again ?? ;)

Punksploitation ?? TOTALLY SHOULD be a word! :D

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Violent Night 6/10
Santa does a Die Hard. They know what they are doing a do it about a well as you can. Stupid but fun. On Amazon Prime3.

Jeepers Creepers Reborn 2/10 garbage
I fast forwarded through a decent bit of the first 40 mins just to get to where something actually happens and what happens isn't worth sitting through the commercials on Hulu. Went in with low expectations and they weren't meet.

Watched Hobo with a Shotgun a few weeks ago for the second time, still fun.

Jul 27, 2020
65: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12261776/reference/

Just weird. Lazy writing. They don't explore how the human society looked back then. Just one guy (Adam Driver) who can do anything, armed with his alien technology gadgets so insinuating that humans were actually aliens from some other place. A mediocre movie that's not very well thought out, with lots of decent visual effects.

5/10

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Spawn: 1/10, or 🤢/10

A lot of the effects are bad (old CGI), it's frequently confusing, and there's a lot of gross-out scenes. That's not the worst part.

The worst part is evil is portrayed as stupid. The clown demon has every incentive to get the job done - killing the mortal bad guy - either himself or by getting Spawn to do it. Instead he antagonizes, grosses-out, and fights Spawn at every turn, pointlessly; this is intended to be his nature, I think. Even the devil wants Spawn to lead his army, but he provides no incentive for Spawn to lead his army well. Stupid villains make a stupid movie.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Well, villains are supposed to do something stupid in almost every movie with a good guy. That's how the good guy wins.
They're not supposed to be all stupid. Compare to, say, Loki in The Avengers. He wasn't able to think ahead to how he'd be received in the end - not as a king - which is doing one stupid thing. But he was extremely clever at every step.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
White Men Can't Jump (2023)

4/10

This movie isn't all bad. It was semi entertaining. The acting was bad though and the story was pretty stupid as well. The thing that gets me though is why was it even called White Men Can't Jump? It really has nothing to do with the original story at all, aside from hustling in California. But there is just so much to it that is different than the original one that it didn't make sense to name it that. They also force a bunch of stupid race "jokes" and comments which just seem so out of place. But like I said, it still kept me interested and entertained for most of it. The basketball scenes in general was not very well done either. I really only watched it out of curiosity knowing it would not hold anything to the original one.

Reactions: soulcougher73

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
White Men Can't Jump (2023)

4/10

This movie isn't all bad. It was semi entertaining. The acting was bad though and the story was pretty stupid as well. The thing that gets me though is why was it even called White Men Can't Jump? It really has nothing to do with the original story at all, aside from hustling in California. But there is just so much to it that is different than the original one that it didn't make sense to name it that. They also force a bunch of stupid race "jokes" and comments which just seem so out of place. But like I said, it still kept me interested and entertained for most of it. The basketball scenes in general was not very well done either. I really only watched it out of curiosity knowing it would not hold anything to the original one.

Wait. They re-did White Men Can't Jump? wtf?

Reactions: Thump553

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
It's Mad Mad Mad World(1963) 10/10

Funniest damn movie I have watched. I watch the cut down version which is still long(2:30hr min+), and was funny all the way through. The car garage fight scene was the most hilarious. Honestly great cinematography, the 10 mim single long shot at the beginning wouldn't have you believe it was a comedy. Fantastic film, highly recommend.

Charade 1963. 8/10

Classic murder mystery with some nice twists. Love this era of film.

Reactions: stargazr

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Season 6 of Black Mirror trailer - Aaron Paul is in it! Five episodes total - Netflix in middle of June edit: the song is I Feel Free by Cream, fucking epic tune.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Finally getting around to watching The Last of Us. Just finished episode 3. What a punch to the scrotum that was.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Even my 13yo son said "I thought they were introducing a new character but then it got all sad and they pulled the rug out from under me."

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Across the Spider-Verse - 9/10

I ding it 1 point for 2 reasons:
1. The sound mix is kind of f'd up. The dialog is difficult to hear at times. I am getting old, my hearing isn't what it used to be, but it seems to be a common complaint.
To be continued... ugg...

Otherwise it is a brilliant movie. The animation is incredibly creative and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.