NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 990 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
John Wick 4 - I'd say 8/10. The action and fighting are impeccable, with some really amazing shots (that is, cinematography) in the mix. Some things were just wayyyy too over the top, even for a Wick movie. Still, a fun ride.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
it's interesting the had guest cameos from Voyager but none from DS9.
Would have been great (and logical) if they squeezed in ODO

The actor René Auberjonois who played Odo died , Dec 2019 at 79. Picard premiered Jan. 2020. Filming of the 1st seaon was from April to Sept. 2019.
Perhaps they could shot some scenes with him, but storyline/script didn't include anyone from TNG, DS9, Voyager at that time.
With a budget of $8-9 million/episode, not sure why they couldn't deepfake Data and Q since both are not supposed to age. I still have to watch Seasons 2 and 3.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The actor René Auberjonois who played Odo died , Dec 2019 at 79. Picard premiered Jan. 2020. Filming of the 1st seaon was from April to Sept. 2019.
Perhaps they could shot some scenes with him, but storyline/script didn't include anyone from TNG, DS9, Voyager at that time.
With a budget of $8-9 million/episode, not sure why they couldn't deepfake Data and Q since both are not supposed to age. I still have to watch Seasons 2 and 3.
that answers that question.
they could have bought back the female changeling from ds9.

also, how did dr soong have a copy of data's memory+ personality to put into his new golem?

did he make a copy from s1 (and not tell picard) before picard erased Data?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
No Escape (1994) - 8.1/10

Starring Ray Liotta in this dystopian action/adventure flic set in 2022 with some pretty epic kill scenes. This was a great popcorn with some choice dialogue that really channels other 80's films like Total Recall, The Running Man and you'll see some parallels with 1995's Water World.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Watched the first two episodes of Silo. Overall very interesting story, I'd like to read the books now.

There were some parts where the production felt kind of meh and second rate, then others where it was just fine. So it's not a totally smooth ride at all, but the story is compelling and it does create a world for the viewer to enter.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Gentlemen (A Guy Ritchie film) 2019 - ?/10

Even with closed captioning, there was so much UK slang I couldn't always follow the dialog. I think it was trying to be a sort of spoof but don't ask me what sort of "sort."

It starred Matthew McConaughey whom I like and a pretty good cast all-round. I enjoyed it but since I was never completely sure what was going on, I'm not going to try to rate it.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Silo, on Apple TV SO FAR is very good. Things can change, only 3 episodes in I think. These types of shows can turn bad in a hurry though.

Ghosted, also on Apple is 1000% far-fetched, but that's the direction many movies are going with female leads. Decent comedy and feel-good movie. Not worthy of a second watch, but passes the time and leaves you with a smile. Very attractive male and female so everyone is happy.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Jodie Whittaker's Doctor was SO SHIT that to save the franchise they had to bring back David Tennant.
Were all the Doctors after Tennant just a dream sequence from Tennant thus they never really existed?
Thus the Doctor still hasnt used up his 12lives?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Air - 10/10

I highly recommend this. The movie is just fantastic. The soundtrack is incredible too. The opening credits are awesome too.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Air - 10/10

I highly recommend this. The movie is just fantastic. The soundtrack is incredible too. The opening credits are awesome too.
read the wiki.
Nike gambled their basketball division's entire $250,000 marketing budget to hire rookie Michael Jordan. :eek:

Nike lucked out big time!
For 10+ years, Nike was printing$.

Edit:
And mj was the #3 overall pick that year.
Wondered what happened to the#1 and#2 picks?

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
we're nearly there chaps, almost 1k pages to this thread. I sure hope we will do the reasonable thing and start a third thread once we get to 1k.

I watched again The Thirteenth Floor - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/reference/

Cyberpunk-ish film about virtual reality, kinda.
In 1999 two computer entrepreneurs + their boss run a VR project. The boss decided this would be 1937 Los Angeles because of reasons. This boss guy often jacks in the simulation (to bang 1930s tail). One day, he is shown to write a message on a letter, and goes to a bartender and says "this guy will come and ask for this, please give it to him".
He is then murdered IRL.

Later in 1999 the two guys find about the death of the guy IRL. A cop shows up. A blonde Dame also shows up.

The protagonist A jacks into the VR to see if he can find anything about boss, but runs into protagonist B.

Note that both protagonist B and one of the two computer guys are played by the same actor, Vince D'Onofrio. Protagonist A and his alter-ego in the simulation are also played by the same actor.

Protagonist A goes to find the Dame, and discovers she ain't real. He then goes back into the VR and runs again into protagonist B;
They have a confrontation where B found the message from boss that was meant for A, but kept it to himself. Because of this message, B has discovered that he is not real, but only a character in a simulation. There is some fighting and A discovers that the meaning of the message applies to him as well, the IRL world of 1999 LA isn't real either.
!CYBERP0NK !!

Anyway, the Dame shows up again and explains she is from the REAL real world. in 2024.
A last-minute reverse deus-ex machina happens when the actual, hitherto unseen antagonist shows up; a user from 2024 jacks into the body of protagonist A, but the Dame beats him and she WINS by having protagonist A download into the 2024 body of the bad guy because she has fallen in love with him.

eeeeeh .

I always thought this film was weak, and i mean weak under every point. The photography is shockingly bad, everything is blue or sepia. D'Onofrio as always puts in his best psychopath act but the film so constantly loses focus of the character narrative that it's even hard to understand what is going on, much less get caught up in a story.
If you want to see a film about the world not being real, Dark City is far better. Or, idk, Paycheck. or Reminiscence.
Instead i think that 13 just tells a story in the blandest way possible, without putting any effort into building suspense or trying to make an impression on the viewer. And, direction and production reeeeally do not help here, with director Josef Rusnak's career being a solid 5/10 throughout and one of his films falling as low as 3/10.

Would not recommend. The plot is decent enough, thought in no way revolutionary or even 100% solid - why did boss guy have to send a message via the VR, to someone they can talk to on the phone ? - but the rest of the film just never really creates a decent suspension of disbelief or a appreciable cognitive thread. The "Noir" aspects of the film are particularly bad, it's obvious that director-guy has no concept of pacing and of what needs or doesn't need importance.

A mediocre film that should only be on a checklist of "yes i watched everything cyberpunk". 6/10 for the aficionados of the genre, 5/10 for everyone else.

no seriously; Comedy Central did the same kinda film in a 3-minute skit.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i am watching the absolutely riveting pretty good Guy Ritchie's The Covenant - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4873118/reference/

Afghan war 2020. Kinley (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a army sargeant recruiting a new interpreter after his previous one got nuked by the Taliban. New interpreter recruit Ahmed is disrespectful and thinks he is in charge, but soon enough Kinley comes to respect him. He isn't there for the money, he's there because the Taliban killed his son and he's on a motherfucking quest for revenge.
The soldiers kill a whole bunch of Taliban but eventually they get into a massive ambush and things get fucked really fast. Ahmed needs to carry Kinley to safety through the mountains of Afghanistan with little but his determination.

Almost a straight-up war film, and frankly riveting for, well, about 40 minutes. But this film is 2 full hours long and, it didn't need to be. All the footage necessary to make a great film is here, but it needs some severe trimming.

There is a exceptionally long part where now-recovered-from-ambush Kinley fights the phones to get a visa for Ahmed. Then there is a again protracted - but at this point, suspence-less - section where Kinley needs to find Ahmed to pull him out of Afghanistan. And then another over-the-top section where the bad guys give chase en masse only to fail spectacularly.

Bit of a disappointment, really, because it started out so good. But, too long, too fucking long. Too repetitive, and really drops the ball midway when instead the story was already due for a conclusion. All the character development you could wish for is complete around the hour mark, you just needed a couple of brief closing scenes and at 1h20min this film would have been perfect, up there with Black Hawk Down.

My vote: 7/10 for as long as you can stand it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Silo, on Apple TV SO FAR is very good. Things can change, only 3 episodes in I think. These types of shows can turn bad in a hurry though.

Ghosted, also on Apple is 1000% far-fetched, but that's the direction many movies are going with female leads. Decent comedy and feel-good movie. Not worthy of a second watch, but passes the time and leaves you with a smile. Very attractive male and female so everyone is happy.

The third episode was on point. I bought the first book after the first two episodes because the story is fascinating and after this season is over, I know I will just want to read the series instead of wait 4 years for the whole thing to be made, if it ever gets made

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We have so many shows going on... the Blacklist, Citadel, Jack Ryan, True Lies (cancelled after one season), The Hunters etc. that I only can watch maybe one a night because I'm so busy right now. We did take time to watch the final Guardians of the Galaxy movie Friday night. I'd give it a 6/10 it seemed a bit disjointed and thrown together to me, introducing a new character out of the blue that should have been introduced earlier imho.

Jul 27, 2020
Deadpool 3
That's the only one I would want to look forward to. I hope it's not crap like the second one. The 2nd one spending so much time in two locations (the prison and the school) makes me think that the movie's budget was an afterthought.

EDIT: Oh wait. 2nd one with 110M budget somehow managed to do less with more money. That's Hollywood for you.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
2024: Year of the sequels
Kung Fu Panda 4
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - A new Planet of the Apes trilogy?
Furiosa - from Max Max Fury road?
Inside Out 2 - Pixar
Despicable Me 4
Beetlejuice 2 :eek:
Deadpool 3

Only ones I care about are Furiosa after I read reviews. Beetlejuice 2 will be a $4 rental at some point depending on reviews, odds are it will suck badly.

but Avatar 3 I will definitely see in the theater in 3D.

That shit is just a visual orgy.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
2024: Year of the sequels
Kung Fu Panda 4
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - A new Planet of the Apes trilogy?
Furiosa - from Max Max Fury road?
Inside Out 2 - Pixar
Despicable Me 4
Beetlejuice 2 :eek:
Deadpool 3
Forgot to add
Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse

347372421_250652727631172_3637985328331381473_n.jpg

involves these 2 Twins?
(probably not)

• Wow