NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 980 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020

7.5/10

Don't watch it expecting to be entertained.

It's a very unusual, badly made but still great in some places, superbly thought provoking movie.

The high score represents the movie's philosophical value more than anything else.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
BULLET TRAIN(2022) - 7.5/10

Fun action movie. Not sure why the critics were taking it so seriously and actually got a few good laughs from me.

My only critique for the film is that it tries to hard to be a Guy Ritchie be movie, in that respect it kind of falls short, it would need better writing to pull that off.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Reds- The acting by Beatty, Keaton, and Nicholson is off the charts. The story is okay but a bit repetitive. 7.5/10

Reactions: deustroop

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The OA, on Netflix. two part series. Finished part I - pretty fascinating story. Part II is starting off with a bang too, definitely interesting stuff if they can keep it together to the end.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Lion King 2019: I didn’t care for the music and the animation came across more like animated taxidermy than live animals. To be blunt: the movie is tedious and boring. 3/10

Jul 27, 2020
The OA, on Netflix. two part series. Finished part I - pretty fascinating story. Part II is starting off with a bang too, definitely interesting stuff if they can keep it together to the end.
That's one of the most underrated shows and the actress is just exquisite!

They had 5 seasons planned but Netflix killed it :(

Season 2's finale opens up a whole new can of worms that we may never get to experience, thanks to Netdix :mad:

She left the corporate world for acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR1b_d5ce8

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Infinity Pool - 3.14/10 It has a good concept but kind of wastes it trying to be all arthouse, and really does so badly. I'm kind of at a loss on what to say about the show, it seems like it forgot to actually explore the concept and decided instead to focus on cinematography and exploring ways to use the POV to keep the audience confused instead of having a well written script that leads the audience through the story.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Peppermint - 7/10 Jennifer Garner stars, and I'd say she did a good job. The plot has been done before, but I still felt entertained.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's one of the most underrated shows and the actress is just exquisite!

They had 5 seasons planned but Netflix killed it :(

Season 2's finale opens up a whole new can of worms that we may never get to experience, thanks to Netdix :mad:

She left the corporate world for acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR1b_d5ce8

Yeah I just read after seeing season 1 how it was pitched and accepted as a 5 season story arc, and now we are left with 2. Fuck Netflix, this is a great show so far. I fell in love with OA after the middle of season 1, her character, her acting, and she is beautiful, and I also found out then she co-created the show, and that made me fall in love lol

I really like these characters and can't believe I'll have to leave season 2 knowing there are 3 more seasons of content to finish their stories.

Jul 27, 2020
her character, her acting, and she is beautiful, and I also found out then she co-created the show, and that made me fall in love lol
I think I've seen all her movies so far. She's amazing in every one of them.

We used to be friends with a family when I was a kid. Their 2nd eldest daughter, about 7 or 8 years older than me, looked super similar to Brit. I secretly had a crush on her and every cell in my body wanted to just go up to her and tell her that I loved her. Of course, that wouldn't have helped matters at all. And she used to give me an annoyed look. Years later, she came by our house when she was close to getting married to her fiance. I was around 17 at that time. She tried to talk to me a bit but I kept my eyes fixed on my computer screen. Didn't answer her much. I was heartbroken that she was getting married to a guy who worked at Dell, who was balding but had some tech skills (OK, maybe he had much better skills than I ever would). Please excuse me while I go and cry myself to sleep in a corner.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You Season 4 part 1 - 6/10

It is just more of the same but even harder to believe. I thought the first 3 episodes were really good but the final 2 episodes just got pretty dumb. I pretty much hate every character in the show except the main dude.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Ark on Syfy - 7/10

Seven is probably a bit high but all but the very lamest scifi gets an automatic 5 from me just on principle. Support your local scifi.

The various stories aren't bad. They just have a bit more of a 'pulled from our ass' quality than I'm comfortable with. Character development is a bit lacking but also seemingly inconsistent. However I suspect they have a reason for that. I think they want to keep you guessing about most of the characters there was murder mystery opened in the first or second episode.

For now, it's watchable but if you're not scifi freak like moi, you probably won't miss giving it a pass.

Also, there's a subplot regarding the initial crisis which I think is a bit obvious.

edit -
aliens.jpg

edit 2 - I was only part way thru ep. 4 when I made that comment about inconsistency. It's resolved pretty early on.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The People vs The Klan 10/10 - CNN

I'd give this a 10 almost regardless. But that's not an issue here. CNN knows how to make a documentary.

Also, one of my professors in law school was a civil rights attorney who, in the dark days of the 60's, risked life and limb to try to lay the foundation for at least the possibility of justice for black folk in the deep south. But as we all know, hate isn't genetic but it IS inherited so we're talking about a process that can only be generational.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
One more comment about The Ark. I've suspected this from the beginning but they seem to be going for a fairly young audience which is probably a good move. For old fart scifi geeks, a lot of stuff is probably going to be obvious but the show is growing on me - not unlike a fungus. ;) So if you fall into the same category as moi, I would suggest watching some version of it that allows you to FF over the boring shit. For me, that DVRing it. For you, who can say.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched Cedar Rapids - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477837/reference/

.. eh ..
the film is well made, the story of a late 20s Christian dork from the midwest, currently having sex with his late 40s ex- highschool teacher ("Aliens" Sigourney Weaver), and working as an insurance agent. he goes to a insurance convention where he "learns to live life" and, you know, that's ok for a plot. Buddy comedy n' all, he rooms up with two other characters, both of which are bad boys, meets another girl, etc.
But what leaves me perplexed is that there are two women character here, two love interests: Joan the not-as-heartless as the teacher, but essentially jaded, and Bree, a hooker with a heart of gold. And the film tries as hard as possible to hitch up Tim The Protagonist with Bree, but in the end .. doesn't? And the film even ends with "happy ending" music and dialogue, but i feel cheated.

Aside from that, a nice film that didn't try terribly hard.

7/10 idk probably 6.9/10 or something.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
One more comment about The Ark. I've suspected this from the beginning but they seem to be going for a fairly young audience which is probably a good move. For old fart scifi geeks, a lot of stuff is probably going to be obvious but the show is growing on me - not unlike a fungus. ;) So if you fall into the same category as moi, I would suggest watching some version of it that allows you to FF over the boring shit. For me, that DVRing it. For you, who can say.
No, it is just awful. The premises of the story had my hopes up, but that was soon dashed into oblivion by the acting and dialog.

FF through the boring shit would leave about 5 minutes to watch.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
@MtnMan - ouch. Tell us how you REALLY feel. Hahaha

I can't argue with you qualitatively but my personal view is that it's not quite that bad quantitatively. It's one of those things were it depends on what you're willing to tolerate for the sake of the story. And I think there's a good chance that the story might get a lot better.

A good standard of comparison for me would be the new Lost In Space. It's not nearly as lame as the original and there's lots of non-interesting filler, but I'm glad I watched it.

Reactions: MtnMan

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Right now watching "On Assignment with Richard Engel - Ukraine's Secret Resistance" which takes place in Kherson. I love how they melt in and out of the hand drawn, charcoal graphics. I'm sure you can stream at MSNBC if you're interested. No rating.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Hellarious - 6.5/10
It's 7 short horror comedy stories under one movie title but none are related. It's all pretty cheezy but I was entertained as these were bizarrely constructed from themes that I never I wanted to see!

Red (2008) - 7/10
Brian Cox stars in this adaption of the Jack Ketchum novel, Red.
Vigilante, revenge story, good writing and solid acting overall. The cameo by Freddy Krueger was fantastic!

• Love
Reactions: Charmonium
Status
Not open for further replies.