NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 954 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
THIS is why I hate friendly women. It is so easy for them to be jokingly flirting with you and giving you all the wrong signals. And then you do something and suddenly, you become the bad guy.

just think of him as incel.

And what reaction were you expecting from that post exactly? ;)

Just because a woman is nice and sociable does NOT mean she "wants it". THIS is why so many women are literally AFRAID to be friendly to guys!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Just because a woman is nice and sociable does NOT mean she "wants it". THIS is why so many women are literally AFRAID to be friendly to guys!
I got touched multiple times (by that female you may know from a thread of mine) today. How patient do you think should a guy be in the face of temptation? :p

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Sandman has a bonus episode that I found out about just yesterday!

First half is kinda cool animated dreamy story.

2nd half is live action. Good so far (last 20 minutes have to finish tonight).
the animated portion was 15min.

like you, have only saw the 1st 15min of the 2nd episode.
it's seems more twilight zone than sandman

Jul 27, 2020
like you, have only saw the 1st 15min of the 2nd episode.

The 2nd one reveals an important bit about the 2nd season of Sandman, if that is released. It will revolve around one character and it's not Morpheus.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
better meme:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

The 2nd one reveals an important bit about the 2nd season of Sandman, if that is released. It will revolve around one character and it's not Morpheus.
thx because i thought the 2nd one was stupid.
Sandman has power when someone is dreaming.
yet in that episode, it seems sandman was affecting the bad guy while he's awake.
wtf left field?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It will revolve around one character and it's not Morpheus.
hmm?
D_nj2LOW4AADPG-

Jul 27, 2020
she is the second most important character in the world of Sandman, so i figured it was her.
I have to say, i will not be watching this show; having read and loved the novels, too likely i would be disappointed.
It took them three decades to finally get what they wanted. I think you should watch the first episode at the very least. I was pretty much filled with awe at the concepts in this show since I haven't read the novels so it was certainly something amazing for me. Morpheus as portrayed by the lead actor is the kind of acting that I would have a hard time imagining someone else pulling it off perfectly. He just has the looks and the demeanor that makes me think that this is what the King of Dreams is supposed to be like, considering all he has to do (the good and the bad). It's a huge burden on his shoulders. A lesser person would have gone crazy if something like this were real. I felt mostly sorry for him, despite his great power. Being immortal isn't always fun. I don't want you to feel bad if you dislike it after watching it because of what you have imagined in your mind reading the novels. But as a series, the production values are top notch and the actors are great. Something that is not always easy to find these days in most productions.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Being immortal isn't always fun.
heh .. this is pretty much the main point of the novels.
I guess i could tell you to find the novels and read them, but i know the sandman books probably cost a fortune, today.
To be clear, when i say "books", i mean graphic novels; these are comics, not written word books.

As for Death, in the world of Sandman these are these deities, the Endless, or Eternals, or whatever. The story is that Dream, one of the endless, has been trapped in a magical prison by a sorceror, and at the beginning of the saga he breaks out from his prison, sets out to recover his magical artifacts (mainly the dream mask), and to fix everything that has gone wrong in his absence. While he - being a god - wins pretty much every confrontation he need to go through, the story has him in plenty of confrontations.
Death, instead, is always seen as a aloof, cutesy, polite and nice girl, because being the most powerful of the endless, nothing in the real world can really touch her in any meaningful way.
In fact she has more of a supportive role in the story. Whenever Dream starts to get too moody and uncertain of what to do, here comes Death licking a lollypop, and the reader is comforted to know that Dream has this friend, who could casually end all life in the universe, right there by his side.
Aside from the "being a god isn't as fun as you'd imagine", the main arc, the main theme of the novels is that Dream is reeeally pissed off, and at the beginning of the story would like nothing better than to murder everything in sight, but has to fight that temptation and instead be more "moderate" in his revenge.

It sure is great material to work with, but i am still hesitant because, well, the books are done so well. The art style is so good, the dialogue is perfect.
And, you know, with comic books, you can imagine the acting, and it will always be the best acting because you are literally making it up in your mind as you read.

Preacher and Constantine were both okaish, but neither was at the level of the novels. Nothing because of some BAD reason, but mostly because it's a lot easier to draw than to film.
(although Preacher had Ruth Negga and anything with her in it is worth watching)

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
the main theme of the novels is that Dream is reeeally pissed off, and at the beginning of the story would like nothing better than to murder everything in sight, but has to fight that temptation and instead be more "moderate" in his revenge.
Ah. So that's really not the Dream I saw. He seems more annoyed than pissed. But thanks for the summary. It was well-written. You may be disappointed by the 2nd most important character (she is blonde in the comics but a teenage black girl in the series. My Scorpio colleague strongly disliked her. I guess he doesn't like teenagers :D). I think she was OK but if their target was to show her as a really ordinary girl, they pretty much succeeded in doing that). There's also this beauty in it, in the last few episodes:

1665947648488.png

Look interesting enough? https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1219019545/?ref_=tt_vi_i_5

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Top Gun (Tom Cruise, 1986) 6/10

My GF was super hot to see this with me when it came out and we did. I don't think I saw it since, but watched the DVD yesterday. Kind of embarrassing, seemed pretty adolescent. I checked the SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION out of my library, has 2 discs, but I haven't seen any of the extras. From the end credits I gather that maybe some actual armed forces people were on screen. I might have a different opinion (duh) if I watch some extras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun indicates that Top Gun: Maverick, which I hadn't heard of was more successful critically and commercially. Is that worth seeing?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Top Gun (Tom Cruise, 1986) 6/10

My GF was super hot to see this with me when it came out and we did. I don't think I saw it since, but watched the DVD yesterday. Kind of embarrassing, seemed pretty adolescent. I checked the SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION out of my library, has 2 discs, but I haven't seen any of the extras. From the end credits I gather that maybe some actual armed forces people were on screen. I might have a different opinion (duh) if I watch some extras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun indicates that Top Gun: Maverick, which I hadn't heard of was more successful critically and commercially. Is that worth seeing?
I thought the OG was good. Maverick blew it away. :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Original Gangster, ie the first one.
WHAT DOES OG MEAN?
OG is a slang term for someone who’s incredibly exceptional, authentic, or “old-school.” It can be earnestly used for a legend like Michael Jordan or more ironically, like for that friend who can unwrap a Starburst with their mouth.

Actually, it's me! ;)

BTW, my local library has the Maverick BR on order, I put a hold on it. It would have to blow TG away, that was 1986 and really primitive.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The original Top Gun is no doubt a bit "dated" and some of the classic scenes are literally now cliches, but back when it was made and ON A BIG-SCREEN it was a fantastic entertainment-experience. (one of a handful of movies I went BACK to the theater to see a 2ed time in my life)

I can clearly recall the entire theater cheering wildly multiple times. :)

Talk to me Goose.....

My recollection of the first time I saw Top Gun is that it was one of the absolute best experiences I've ever had in a movie-theater.... I re-live that "thrill" when I watch clips from it to this day even on a "small-screen".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.