NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
The Way Back - 8.5/10
I simply loved this movie. Maybe it's because I secretly have a wandering spirit and just want to travel the world on foot. The movie is a little slow at times, and certain parts are drawn out (would've liked to see more of the journey thru the himalayas instead of so much of the Gobi desert). The scenery and setting(s) of the movie is probably the best character, although IMO there is some pretty good acting by Ed Harris and Colin Farrell (sp?). Like I said, I loved the movie, but others might not (wife fell asleep halfway thru).

Yep, AWESOME movie. Love it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
American History X 8.5/10

Deals with the subject very effectively. Impressive how they really got into a scene to which most people have very little access.

The subject: racism among the young.

The setting: Venice Beach, Los Angeles.

Sensitive, many excellent scenes, at times very shocking and brutal.

I bought this DVD in 2006, rewatched it last night. I wanted to see something that would keep me awake. It worked!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The Way Back - 8.5/10
I simply loved this movie. Maybe it's because I secretly have a wandering spirit and just want to travel the world on foot. The movie is a little slow at times, and certain parts are drawn out (would've liked to see more of the journey thru the himalayas instead of so much of the Gobi desert). The scenery and setting(s) of the movie is probably the best character, although IMO there is some pretty good acting by Ed Harris and Colin Farrell (sp?). Like I said, I loved the movie, but others might not (wife fell asleep halfway thru).

I really liked this as well, I did think that it ended really abrubtly. It seemed to give ample time to many aspects of the story, but the final leg was very rushed and felt like a letdown compared to the overall arc. I kind of have the idea that this would have made a spectacular David Lean film with a good 3 or 3.5 hours to really breathe.

I still recommend it, but that aspect indeed bothered me.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
The Way Back - 8.5/10

You just put this on my radar; I'm gonna check it out. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2004
Alien Opponent - 1/10 - Possibly the worse movie I have ever seen. So bad, Wikipedia does not even list it. Ith as two redeeming qualities. (1) I made it all the way to the end whcih is better than I can say for some moves. (2)Rowdy Roddy piper was in it!

Oh, the only thing worse than the first 90 minutes was the last 10. The conclusion to the movie was a total WTF. It didn't even make sense.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
My home theatre is still not fully set-up, so have only been watching TV. Enjoying the world of On Demand Television.

Finished watching Girls and loved the entire first season. Great stuff. I did find the finale to be a bit over the top, but overall I thought it was awesome and can't wait for season 2.

Watched the first three episodes of Homeland http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/ and like it quite a bit. There are some slow parts and I'm unsure on a couple of the plot choices, but maybe they sort those out in later episodes. Going to keep watching and see how it all plays out.

Also watched the first three episodes of Veep and the each episode seems to get stronger and stronger. I did not really like the first episode much, but by the third episode I am kind of loving it. Tony Hale is so freaking awesome I am very happy to be watching in something again and I really like Iannucci's writing (I'm a huge fan of In The Loop). Looks like there are only five more episodes, so will probably burn through those pretty quick.

KT

Have you watched Extras? I don't know why I waited so long but I finally watched the first season yesterday and it's really good(I'm a Gervais fan). I'm not sure if I'm the only one who hadn't seen it yet

Nov 7, 2000
Contagion - 8/10 - I kept waiting for the dead people to reanimate lol. In general the whole movie gives the feeling of,
whats the twist, whats going to ruin everything. but it never comes. That may come of as boring, but really it adds to the experience since they appeared to be going for a realistic scenario. Even the curing of the diseases, not much buildup or fanfare. Also not over the top with love stories or cheesy death scene goodbye type stuff.
So all things considered it does break the mold a little bit, which I appreciated.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Have you watched Extras? I don't know why I waited so long but I finally watched the first season yesterday and it's really good(I'm a Gervais fan). I'm not sure if I'm the only one who hadn't seen it yet

Yep, I own it on DVD. Great show. The celebrity cameos are amazing and hilarious. That Kate Winslet appearance made me fall in love with her.

KT

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Funny People 5/10 Some of the plot lines are interesting, but overall meh movie.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Rotten Tomatos has been surprisingly kind to most recent flicks. I am astonished.
Not so much as to get my ass to the theater, but still impressed.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Rotten Tomatos has been surprisingly kind to most recent flicks. I am astonished.
Not so much as to get my ass to the theater, but still impressed.

Yeah, I observed this too. More specifically, I started noticing after RT was purchased by WB.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Woman in Black 4/10

Had lots of promise, but fell apart, especially at the end. It started well, but then felt rushed, and had improbable plot elements.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010

Didn't you get the memo?

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT GROUP TO ACQUIRE FLIXSTER
COMPANY WILL CONTINUE TO OPERATE INDEPENDENTLY AND SERVE AS CONSUMER-FACING PLATFORM FOR WARNER BROS.’ INITIATIVES TO DRIVE DIGITAL CONTENT OWNERSHIP

ACQUISITION INCLUDES POPULAR “ROTTEN TOMATOES” MOVIE REVIEW
SITE

BURBANK, Calif., May 4, 2011 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group today announced an agreement to acquire Flixster, a highly popular movie discovery application company with over 25 million worldwide users per month. The acquisition also includes Rotten Tomatoes, a top website devoted to film reviews, information and news. Under the terms of the deal, Flixster will continue to operate independently and will expand its services beyond movie discovery to enable digital content ownership and delivery across any connected digital device.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group will utilize the powerful Flixster brand and technical expertise to launch a number of initiatives designed to grow digital content ownership, including the recently announced consumer application “Digital Everywhere.” This studio-agnostic application will be the ultimate destination for consumers to organize and access their entire digital library from anywhere on the device of their choice, as well as to share recommendations and discover new content. The Flixster acquisition and “Digital Everywhere,” combined with the Studio’s support of the UltraViolet format are all part of an overall strategy to give consumers even more freedom, utility and value for their digital purchases.

“Driving the growth of digital ownership is a central, strategic focus for Warner Bros.,” said Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Office of the President, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “The acquisition of Flixster will allow us to advance that strategy and promote initiatives that will help grow digital ownership.”

Flixster is currently the number one movie discovery application on mobile platforms with over 35 million downloads to date, including Android, Blackberry and iPad, and ranks among the most downloaded of all iPhone apps. Rotten Tomatoes is one of the most trusted and influential brands in movie reviews with over 12 million unique visitors per month. Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes will remain fully independent. The Flixster team will stay in San Francisco and the Rotten Tomatoes team will continue to work autonomously in Los Angeles.

“We’re thrilled that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group shares our vision for how ‘anytime, anywhere’ digital entertainment can become an amazing user experience,” said Joe Greenstein, co-founder and CEO of Flixster. “We’re excited that Warner was willing to make this kind of commitment to a leading independent consumer platform. We look forward to working with Warner as well as each of the other studios to innovate and build products that users will love.”

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group has been the consistent change leader in the home entertainment arena. It is a founding member of the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), which is launching UltraViolet™ this year. UltraViolet will provide cloud-based storage and give consumers the ability to watch digital entertainment across multiple platforms such as connected TVs, PCs, game consoles and smartphones. And as the market leader in video-on-demand and electronic sell-through, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group recently became the first studio to distribute films directly to consumers via apps on Apple’s iOS platform and Facebook.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group (WBHEG) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution, interactive entertainment, technical operations and anti-piracy businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHEG oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHEG distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees, as well as directly to consumers through WBShop.com.

About Flixster

Founded in 2006 and based in San Francisco, Flixster Inc. operates the world’s most popular movie communities, used by more than 25 million people every month. Flixster services include destination websites at Flixster.com and RottenTomatoes.com, as well as leading apps on Facebook, MySpace, iGoogle, iPhone, BlackBerry and Android-powered devices. Flixster’s communities provide the most comprehensive movie information online – including a database of over 250,000 movies; 2.3 billion user reviews; 500,000 critic reviews; and over 35,000 trailers and videos. Flixster has offices in New York and representatives in Los Angeles and Seattle.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Get Low 8/10
Interesting, fascinating, but IMO meandering, doesn't feel to me like it found its path. I watched the first two extras immediately after watching the film and they explained a lot. It took many years for it to come together, was rejected at least 3 times by each of the major studios before it got traction, but never got full traction, is my reaction. Certainly is built on a novel premise, David Duvall is very good in the role, but the actor who amazed me the most was the undertaker's understudy, Black. He's actually from Alabama, and his portrayal of a young southerner in a mind bending situation was so spot on! He was perfect. IMO, Bill Murray was a mistake, he just can't help himself and always comes off as a clown at least part of the time. Too often here. This borrowed too much from Oh Brother Where Art Thou, is one of my thoughts.

Closer 9/10

I've always been a Julia Roberts fan. This is the second time I've seen this, last time was 5 years ago. Jude Law was amazing. Portman, she's incredible. Fulfills the role of gorgeous, sexy, pretty to a T, and is also a great actress, a very rare combination. The script is phenomenal, so many incredible lines. Mike Nichols, well he doesn't do a lot of movies, does he, but he has done some of the greatest.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Contagion - 8/10 - I kept waiting for the dead people to reanimate lol. In general the whole movie gives the feeling of,
whats the twist, whats going to ruin everything. but it never comes. That may come of as boring, but really it adds to the experience since they appeared to be going for a realistic scenario. Even the curing of the diseases, not much buildup or fanfare. Also not over the top with love stories or cheesy death scene goodbye type stuff.
So all things considered it does break the mold a little bit, which I appreciated.

I saw this a few weeks ago. Here are notes I wrote for myself:

Watched last night. Creepy, over 1/2 way through the idea occurred in my head, "OK, this is science fiction, right?" However, for sci fi it's pretty plausible in oh so many ways and they obviously tried hard to keep plausibility at the top of the agenda. In fact at the end of the credits it says basically, "It's not a question of If, but When." Maybe those very words. H1N1 was referred to several times, also SARS.
They glossed over somewhat the difficulties of developing vaccines, didn't want to get too deep into it technically, IMO. I thought Laurence Fishburne did a terrible job. He was like a dummy at times. OK at times, wooden, expressionless other than a staring wooden smile a lot of the time. I didn't like him in the Matrix either. What else was he in? Kate Winslett was/is great as usual. Matt Damon was very very very good. He's versatile as hell. He pulls off his role admirably, doesn't over play it, gets the nuances.

Overall, my feeling at the end was creepiness. They go to the hilt on what could happen in terms of chaos, mob rule, panicking, people totally out of control with wild unrestrained fear. They take that to the limit, but maybe they pulled their punches there, who knows?
They obviously explored the territory a great deal before actually planning and scripting. I guess it's worth another view at some point.

Nov 7, 2000
I saw this a few weeks ago. Here are notes I wrote for myself:

Watched last night. Creepy, over 1/2 way through the idea occurred in my head, "OK, this is science fiction, right?" However, for sci fi it's pretty plausible in oh so many ways and they obviously tried hard to keep plausibility at the top of the agenda. In fact at the end of the credits it says basically, "It's not a question of If, but When." Maybe those very words. H1N1 was referred to several times, also SARS.
They glossed over somewhat the difficulties of developing vaccines, didn't want to get too deep into it technically, IMO. I thought Laurence Fishburne did a terrible job. He was like a dummy at times. OK at times, wooden, expressionless other than a staring wooden smile a lot of the time. I didn't like him in the Matrix either. What else was he in? Kate Winslett was/is great as usual. Matt Damon was very very very good. He's versatile as hell. He pulls off his role admirably, doesn't over play it, gets the nuances.

Overall, my feeling at the end was creepiness. They go to the hilt on what could happen in terms of chaos, mob rule, panicking, people totally out of control with wild unrestrained fear. They take that to the limit, but maybe they pulled their punches there, who knows?
They obviously explored the territory a great deal before actually planning and scripting. I guess it's worth another view at some point.
I watched it with my wife and a buddy, the first thing they both said when it was over was that it was scary. I think thats a function of not including a lot of the typical hollywood elements. My wife also reminded me she wants a gun lol

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ it's scary because it's entirely plausible and they did a good job portraying that. It's also a movie so everything moved along pretty fast.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I'm interested to hear how you think WB's ownership changes the Fresh/Rotten structure of RottenTomatoes given that RT is a review aggregator.

I'm interested to hear how you think it wouldn't. It's pretty obvious that any service owned by a corporate entity within that industry cannot be impartial. Conveniently leaving out poor reviews for WB (and their subsidiaries)? Conveniently including good reviews for them? I won't argue back and forth about it in this thread (nor, any thread) because I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. Therefore reply with whatever you want, I won't respond to it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm interested to hear how you think it wouldn't. It's pretty obvious that any service owned by a corporate entity within that industry cannot be impartial. Conveniently leaving out poor reviews for WB (and their subsidiaries)? Conveniently including good reviews for them? I won't argue back and forth about it in this thread (nor, any thread) because I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. Therefore reply with whatever you want, I won't respond to it.

They don't leave out any reviews and many WB movies have been slammed.

40% Dark Shadows
Dark Shadows (2012)

41% Rock of Ages
Rock of Ages (2012)

26% Project X
Project X (2012)

etc.

It's nice to know we can't have a decent discussion on this board anymore.

:thumbsup:

Sep 29, 2004
American History X 8.5/10

Deals with the subject very effectively. Impressive how they really got into a scene to which most people have very little access.

The subject: racism among the young.

The setting: Venice Beach, Los Angeles.

Sensitive, many excellent scenes, at times very shocking and brutal.

I bought this DVD in 2006, rewatched it last night. I wanted to see something that would keep me awake. It worked!

I'd give that movie a 10/10 any day.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
From Prada to Nada - 5/10.

The girls in that movie are hawt. hard to believe that one of the sisters is the girl from Spy Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.