List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 938 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Artorias

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2014
Better Call Saul Season 6 EP 12. 10/10

What an emotional episode. Some laughs, and some really sad and dark themes. Rhea Seehorn better win an Emmy along with Bob as well.

Only one more episode left for this entire universe, cant believe its all ending next week.

Reactions: purbeast0

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Cowboys and Aliens (2011) with Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and Olivia Wilde - 7/10

From the title, you'd probably expect some sort of scifi spoof like maybe Spaceballs. But nope. They are dead serious about making this a scifi drama. And they do a decent job of pulling that off. It's a legit Western with aliens. Bit of a slow start but it gradually develops into a pretty good shoot 'em up. The aliens make a very satisfying splat.

There are also a bunch of other actors you'll recognize like Keith Carradine, Abigail Spencer, etc. So the acting is quite good - sometimes a bit too good for certain contexts. I really think it might have been better if they'd thrown a few bones to the 4th wall - but maybe not.
Far as I recall it had a few half-decent reviews but overall was a flop.... Rotten Tomatoes has it at 44%.

I really like Daniel Craig though so maybe I'll give this a shot anyway! :)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Far as I recall it had a few half-decent reviews but overall was a flop.... Rotten Tomatoes has it at 44%.

I really like Daniel Craig though so maybe I'll give this a shot anyway! :)
.. if you gotta watch a film because it's got Olivia Wilde in it - and i wouldn't blame you - then watch instead Butter.

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just watched Thirteen Lives last night. I thought it was quite good and from what I read a pretty good recollection of actual events.

Also showed how actually really dumb Elon's suggestion to build a mini submarine was and he was right to get called out on it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just watched Thirteen Lives last night. I thought it was quite good and from what I read a pretty good recollection of actual events.

Also showed how actually really dumb Elon's suggestion to build a mini submarine was and he was right to get called out on it.
I don't need a movie to tell me it was dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
I wanna watch a movie where the main character is as full of himself and as dumb yet as wildly successful as Elon Musk. Suggestions?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Das Boot (Director's Cut, 1981, 209 minutes) 4/10

Saw the theatrical release (on DVD) almost 20 years ago, was impressed enough to buy the director's cut DVD shortly after but didn't watch it until yesterday, which I did because I saw some very positive info on it recently. It's considered the greatest war submarine movie ever, at least by some. It's a mixed bag. Yes, it does more than any other submarine movie I've seen convey the sense of the tightness, compactness, close quarters, the claustrophobic conditions that are inevitable. The movie has its moments, great action at times. But it suffers from faults that you won't find in today's action flicks like using the same static sets for way too long as if on a strangling budget. A TV series sequel followed, and indeed much of Das Boot itself comes across to me like made-for-TV. Last night I eventually realized it was English dubbed. IMO, the English speaking dub actors were just OK, not great and came off flat at times. It's been criticized for being too long, at least the director's cut, and I totally agree. 1/2 way through not bad but the last 45 minutes or so dragged for me, it got really soap-opera like with the characters and emotions, I didn't care for any of them. I watched the last 1/2 hour with the German audio (I had 3 semesters of German as an undergraduate, so have some comprehension) and wishing it to end. I'm glad I didn't hit eject because the ending is dramatic, pretty spectacular, in fact. I'd forgotten everything basically since my other watch almost 20 years ago. I won't be rewatching it.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I was fascinated with the whole story when it happened. I am probably going to watch it tonight myself.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was fascinated with the whole story when it happened. I am probably going to watch it tonight myself.
It's definitely fascinating and it feels like the movie treated the subject matter well with good pacing, so I think you'll like it.

It was a massive effort by a lot of people. Ron Howard didn't go overboard so it shows well, didn't feel like some crazy overboard Hollywood drama.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's definitely fascinating and it feels like the movie treated the subject matter well with good pacing, so I think you'll like it.

It was a massive effort by a lot of people. Ron Howard didn't go overboard so it shows well, didn't feel like some crazy overboard Hollywood drama.
Just watched Thirteen Lives.

It was fantastic.

As someone who loves SCUBA diving myself, god damn that is impressive. I will never ever have the balls to do cave diving, let alone the extent those guys went to. Those guys are all true heroes.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy (2022, Netflix) [5/10]

1660130421604.png

Thought this was a sequel to the 1980's Heavy Metal anime.
Nope.

Powerful hero and villains that could destroy castles acting like juvenile teens when seeing near naked women.
it was stupid comedy relief.

13 eps but I quit half way.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Prey.jpg
Prey 7/10. A must watch for the fans of the Predator series, the Governator would be proud.
Set in 1719, shows the origin story of the Predator in the world of the Comanche Nation 300 years ago.
Naru, a "skilled" female warrior, fights to protect her tribe against one of the first highly-evolved Predators to land on Earth.

Reactions: stargazr

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The movie is mediocre as can be. I do not understand why it's getting all the hype.

The CGI in it is terrible too. Like really bad.

It was made by Hulu .... sounds just about par for the course.

"Made for Netflix" isn't any better.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It was made by Hulu .... sounds just about par for the course.

"Made for Netflix" isn't any better.
Yeah it's pretty obvious that like 99% of the movies made for these streaming services, that are supposed to be big movies, simply aren't as good as movies that are made for theatrical release. It's definitely a trend I have noticed. The last one I saw that could have been theatrical and been just as good is A Quiet Place. The budget definitely showed.

Which is funny because these streaming services can make some fantastic tv shows.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah it's pretty obvious that like 99% of the movies made for these streaming services, that are supposed to be big movies, simply aren't as good as movies that are made for theatrical release. It's definitely a trend I have noticed. The last one I saw that could have been theatrical and been just as good is A Quiet Place. The budget definitely showed.

Which is funny because these streaming services can make some fantastic tv shows.

Very true.... although compared to the total amount of content they produce the % that's really "good" (or better) is pretty dang small.

Not shockingly the traditional TV networks were actually very skilled at making entertaining TV series.... far better overall then any streaming service.

Artorias

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2014
Problem with these modern Predator movies is that they are not grimy enough. Apart from the first two movies everything feels to clean and sterile including actors which really don't fit the roles.

Predator needs to be shot on film, with characters that don't look too modern, and have more practical effects with very little to no CGI.

Imagine the movie Apocalypto(2006) but with a Predator, that would be the shit.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Das Boot (Director's Cut, 1981, 209 minutes) 4/10

Saw the theatrical release (on DVD) almost 20 years ago, was impressed enough to buy the director's cut DVD shortly after but didn't watch it until yesterday, which I did because I saw some very positive info on it recently. It's considered the greatest war submarine movie ever, at least by some. It's a mixed bag. Yes, it does more than any other submarine movie I've seen convey the sense of the tightness, compactness, close quarters, the claustrophobic conditions that are inevitable. The movie has its moments, great action at times. But it suffers from faults that you won't find in today's action flicks like using the same static sets for way too long as if on a strangling budget. A TV series sequel followed, and indeed much of Das Boot itself comes across to me like made-for-TV. Last night I eventually realized it was English dubbed. IMO, the English speaking dub actors were just OK, not great and came off flat at times. It's been criticized for being too long, at least the director's cut, and I totally agree. 1/2 way through not bad but the last 45 minutes or so dragged for me, it got really soap-opera like with the characters and emotions, I didn't care for any of them. I watched the last 1/2 hour with the German audio (I had 3 semesters of German as an undergraduate, so have some comprehension) and wishing it to end. I'm glad I didn't hit eject because the ending is dramatic, pretty spectacular, in fact. I'd forgotten everything basically since my other watch almost 20 years ago. I won't be rewatching it.
Excellent, excellent flick. Much better in German with subs even if you dont speak it for the ambiance and authenticity. Saw it in a theater. Got the DVD.

U-571 is another of my favorites but mostly for the sound track along with K19:The Widow Maker. Chernobyl under the sea.

Reactions: Captante

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The last one I saw that could have been theatrical and been just as good is A Quiet Place. The budget definitely showed.
I'm not sure if I'm just misreading this, but A Quiet Place had a theatrical release. I remember it making almost $200 million domestically, exceeding everyone's expectations.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm not sure if I'm just misreading this, but A Quiet Place had a theatrical release. I remember it making almost $200 million domestically, exceeding everyone's expectations.
Okay wtf I don't know why I thought it was on Netflix lol.

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Better Call Saul Season 6 EP 12. 10/10

What an emotional episode. Some laughs, and some really sad and dark themes. Rhea Seehorn better win an Emmy along with Bob as well.

Only one more episode left for this entire universe, cant believe its all ending next week.
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.........YEP!

:p

• Haha
Reactions: Artorias

ASK THE COMMUNITY