NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 935 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Unpopular opinion - Shoresey is better than LK. I've watched the season 3 times already.
Having a straight storyline just makes it "better".
Sticks are unbelievable.

disagree. It pales to Letterkenny, but it does have its moments. Each episode is just...way too long. Very indulgent on the drawn out mini dance music videos and slo-mo walkarounds for no reason. it's like The Matrix 2 rave scene in every episode, but not nearly as bad.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought Brown was the best out of all of them and quite good in all seasons. She has to most emotional rollercoaster role to cover from frightened abused child to angry powerful superhero to someone adjusting to human life after being raised in a lab and everything in between - and I think she does it very very well. Her flashbacks are another roller coaster ride. I love her. And Sadie Sink is very good too. Out of all the cast, those two are the best.

I've been struggling to watch this season. It's just...become a parody of itself and the fanbase it has created. It went full-on horror spoof of crazy horror movies of its time, rather than being its own thing with a nostalgic backdrop. It's just, how do you say it...bad?

also think Milly Bobby Brown is pretty terrible this year. ...I've watched 5 episodes, I think. It's a struggle.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Will it make any sense to watch if one hasn't seen Letterkenny? A lot of people seem to be talking about Shoresy lately, and I'm getting curious.

no, watch Letterkenny. Shoresey is way way way way way way way better in his Letterkenny form. Making him a "real person" in this series absolutely destroys his value.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
disagree. It pales to Letterkenny, but it does have its moments. Each episode is just...way too long. Very indulgent on the drawn out mini dance music videos and slo-mo walkarounds for no reason. it's like The Matrix 2 rave scene in every episode, but not nearly as bad.

They do that in LK just as much. I like that Shorsey has a overarching "story" whereas LK has a pretty weak storyline. That and it's sports. I like sports and can identify with it

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've been struggling to watch this season. It's just...become a parody of itself and the fanbase it has created. It went full-on horror spoof of crazy horror movies of its time, rather than being its own thing with a nostalgic backdrop. It's just, how do you say it...bad?

also think Milly Bobby Brown is pretty terrible this year. ...I've watched 5 episodes, I think. It's a struggle.
Yes this season was terrible. But it was so terrible it was ok to watch. Like a crash on the highway. I mean the whole Russia mission was ridiculous.

Learning elevens true backstory was the best part.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

It's gotten pretty bad. I mean I'm still entertained I guess, but you just can't run so many seasons with a show like this. Honestly I thought S4 was going to be the last and was SHOCKED to see they are doing S5.

And I totally agree that Milly Bobby Brown was pretty dang bad throughout. She doesn't seem to be getting better at the acting thing. Maybe it's that role though - she's (and they all) still seem like they are to be acting as "kids" and they are all adults now. I dunno...

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
And I totally agree that Milly Bobby Brown was pretty dang bad throughout. She doesn't seem to be getting better at the acting thing. Maybe it's that role though - she's (and they all) still seem like they are to be acting as "kids" and they are all adults now. I dunno...

This. Almost painful to watch her. I also wonder about the tight top she wore in the last few episodes. who was responsible for that, not an accident. Was that to show she is getting older for the show or for the teen age boys who watch or to take our minds off her acting? Thought that this was the last season so how far ahead is the next jump? Married with children?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Old Man - FX - 2022 series 8/10

Tonight was the season finale. I really like this show but I'm not sure why. It's very slow but a decent amount is revealed in each episode. This something where if you liked lost and forgave them for that so-called ending, this is prob your deal.
near the beginning of the show, did the daughter warn the dad of the fbi raid?
or was it just coincidence he was leaving early that morning?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Salt (2010)

An action flick but with some interesting twists, the only thing is that it seems to be missing a final act. Apparently there was talk of a sequel that never materialised.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Exact opposite for me. Episode 9 was great, and 10 is boring,
I agree with you. I wasn't a fan of the latest episode really especially after the way the 9th episode ended. Like I just don't really care about anything that happened in it and the time it happened.

I didn't really like how the 9th episode ended though.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm surprised people don't like Brown's acting of eleven. It feels like people don't understand her role. She's supposed to play a pretty unique character. A child super weapon whose childhood and entire civilized life was taken away from and trying to learn to be a child and a regular human all at once, in the middle of battling insane supernatural and human forces while navigating human relationships.

I think she nails all the awkwardness and emotion of that type of role which is nothing like playing a kid going through an adjustment period.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The Rehearsal - ??/10

I dunno how to make sense of this show or even describe or realize it. It's absolutely insane. I don't get how half of this is legal. Not to mention I feel like it's sort of just taking advantage of people that are a little... "off" (maybe more than a little). It's a complete mess and crazy. It's just... weird. Yet I can not turn away. Nathan Fielder has always been a off himself, but this seems to be a whole new level. It's some sort of reality show, but on steroids. Episode 1 is nuts. Episode 2 is.... scary.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Old Man - FX - 2022 series 8/10

Tonight was the season finale. I really like this show but I'm not sure why. It's very slow but a decent amount is revealed in each episode. This something where if you liked lost and forgave them for that so-called ending, this is prob your deal.
Old Man eps 1-6 9/10
eps 7 (season finale) 6/10

i liked the slow mystery reveals, thus why i liked Lost.

the season finale was stupid:
- betrayed by him?
- the assassin's crew is holed up in a safe house. they have guns but no body armor?! yet earlier the show made a big deal of body armor saving the assassin's life.

Hope the (fake) wife is back for season 2.
and hopefully, it'll also explain how the bad guy found him in eps 1.
also, What's the connection between the mentor and the bad guy?

Reactions: Charmonium

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
The Savages 9/10
A dramedy with heartbreak and laughs as middle aged brother and sister have to put their dementia stricken dad in a nursing home.

Free Guy 7/10
The self aware NPC/AI thing got me into the action and game design intrigue. Some goofiness in it but I guess the special effects can make up for it to some degree.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
near the beginning of the show, did the daughter warn the dad of the fbi raid?
or was it just coincidence he was leaving early that morning?
I'm not completely sure what happened in that show - and I was paying attention, mostly.

My take-aways are the following. Girl is bio daughter of Chase (?) and the Afghani guy's wife. Hamzad wants revenge. When they ex-fil'ed, themselves there was a third person but I'm not clear on who that was. The girl maybe? Hamzad kidnapped the girl and somehow Chase's team got her back? That's really about it. If I cared a little more than currently, I might rewatch it.

Jul 27, 2020
My take-aways are the following. Girl is bio daughter of Chase (?) and the Afghani guy's wife. Hamzad wants revenge. When they ex-fil'ed, themselves there was a third person but I'm not clear on who that was. The girl maybe? Hamzad kidnapped the girl and somehow Chase's team got her back? That's really about it. If I cared a little more than currently, I might rewatch it.
I think you were bored :)
They show the little girl when Chase almost murders Hamzad in his sleep. He backs off for the sake of the little girl as he does not want her to witness the murder of her father. They leave and she IS the third person on the plane. The little girl is Hamzad's. Chase and Hamzad's wife knew each other for a very short time. The little girl was never kidnapped. Hamzad wants his daughter back and he does at the end. The only things remaining are the location of the copper lode and payback from Chase for taking his wife/daughter away from him.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Nope - 6.5/10
I am going to try my best not to spoil anything about this movie, because despite my middling rating I do feel it is a good movie.

I am not sure what to say about this movie. First off I am not it's target audience, but I did enjoy it. I rate it somewhere just above the middle because I keep going back and forth on what the movie is trying to be.

It borrows a lot from movies like Signs (2002). It wants to be horror but never really commits to it and that is it's main weakness. It interjects just a little too much humor to keep the suspense up. I think the humor is supposed to be breaking the tension so it can build more, a classic plot device, but the timing is just not right and it ends up not being able to build enough suspense before the big events to make it work.

Overall not a bad movie, but the directing was a little off on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.