NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 906 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sooooo, Louis CK just made a joke about the Boston Marathon Bombings.......

Gonna have to vote that a 1/10. Cuz it was sorta like a joke.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I will say that there are reasons for the two items you mention. The background is this show is a stylized recap of a portion of the Critical Role campaign that started airing on the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel in 2015.

1. The player/voice actress for Pike, the cleric, got a role on the Jamie Farrell vehicle Blindspot. That show filmed in New York while the Critical Role crew were all LA-based. She had to leave the Critical role game for months at a time while filming Blindspot. She would occasionally reappear via Skype but D&D via Skype wasn't very reliable then. The "story" for her character's absence was a calling to rebuild temples, which the show is sorta following (with a bit of crisis of faith thrown in).
2. I've read the GoT books but stopped watching at season 5 when the show runners just started making stuff up. Through Book 5 Arya doesn't have a weapon inscribed with her kill list so I assume that's a show construct. The final seasons of GoT started airing about the time Critical Role hit YouTube. Critical Role was an established D&D game for several years before that, it just wasn't broadcast. So it's probably safe to say that Percival's kill list predated any similar appearance in GoT.

Similarly, the animators of the show were faced with a difficult task: how do you animate a tabletop RPG combat wherein the players are "taking damage" and clearly "losing" against a noncorporeal monster (wights, I think)? Was it the best depiction? Probably not, but it wasn't horrible. There will be lots of things like that as the series goes on since it's D&D based. The things with the doors is another. I remember the players for Percival, Scanlon, and Vax actually spent about an hour trying to get through that door and Percival did fall from the window. When you're playing a tabletop RPG and keep rolling 1s and 2s funny things happen.
wait.. vox machina is based on D&D on youtube?!

i did a google:
"The stream began on March 12, 2015 with "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01), and after two-and-a-half years and 115 episodes came to an end on October 12, 2017. :eek:

also, there was no point in showing Percival, Scanlon, and Vax not being able to open the door.
they could have gone thru the door as if it was opened and i dont think it would have changed how they met up with the rest of the team.
unless it was done for comedic effect? ie: Percy falling from window

or are the producers keeping true to the recordings from youtube?!

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
wait.. vox machina is based on D&D on youtube?!

i did a google:
"The stream began on March 12, 2015 with "Arrival at Kraghammer" (1x01), and after two-and-a-half years and 115 episodes came to an end on October 12, 2017. :eek:

also, there was no point in showing Percival, Scanlon, and Vax not being able to open the door.
they could have gone thru the door as if it was opened and i dont think it would have changed how they met up with the rest of the team.
unless it was done for comedic effect? ie: Percy falling from window

or are the producers keeping true to the recordings from youtube?!
Yeah, the executive producers are the 7 players and the DM. They're trying to stay as true as possible to what happened in the game.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched 300 for the upteem time on Netflix.

I never get tired of that classic. 9/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I agree with the critics.

The Kings Man is all over the place and doesn't have a solid theme or tone. Its not as entertaining as it could have been. The first third of the movie is quite slow and boring compared to the other films.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Spider-Man: No Way Home 9/10

I loved everything about this film, but I've loved Spiderman since I was 8. I put it behind Avengers Endgame as my favorite Marvel movie.
meh..
i'm about 1/4th the way thru spider man no way home.
5/10 so far.

the plot is so childishly stupid and campy that it belongs in a kids cartoon.

ie:
Papa Smurf starts casting a spell.
Spider smurf interrupts the spell.
Hilarity ensues.

that kind of plot would be fine there but not in a universe where Thanos killed 1/2 the population of Earth.

edit:
ok, i like the plot twist.
fan service indeed...

upgrade score to 8/10

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
meh..
i'm about 1/4th the way thru spider man no way home.
5/10 so far.

the plot is so childishly stupid and campy that it belongs in a kids cartoon.

ie:
Papa Smurf starts casting a spell.
Spider smurf interrupts the spell.
Hilarity ensues.

that kind of plot would be fine there but not in a universe where Thanos killed 1/2 the population of the Earth.

HOT FUCKING SHIT!

Is it streaming now?
Who has it?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Vox machina eps7 6.5/10

Ugg...
-You get hit by arrows. Instead of dropping dead, you fight even better??
- enemy archers not noticing the guy full of arrows charging at them???
Ie: not concentrating fire on that guy?

- when did the bard get the power of purple lightning?
And why didn't he use it sooner??
Or in the YouTube d&d version, the player dice rolled a 20 to save his ass?

Also, in the YouTube d&d version, did any in the party actually die?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Vox machina eps7 6.5/10

Ugg...

Haven't watched the new episodes yet but I will say that everyone in the party died at least once at some point and one character died so many times that "special arrangements" were made.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I watched episode 7 of Peacemaker. It's become one of my favorite shows. It's stupid, it's funny, it's got action and (I never thought I'd say this) John Cena has some acting chops. The beginning and ending of episode 7 were fairly impactful. Of the three shows I've been watching recently (Peacemaker, Boba Fett, Vox Machina) this one is the best.

Reactions: DownTheSky

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Vox machina eps7 6.5/10

Ugg...

Got around to watching episodes 7-9.

D&D barbarians (which is what the character Grog is) have a special Rage ability that increases their damage output and reduces the damage taken by ordinary weapons. It's kind of a berserker thing, except they're not out of control. I believe that was what was being depicted with the arrows.

The player for Scanlan, the gnome bard, had never played D&D before this campaign started. Up until the very end he prided himself on not really knowing what he was doing. His favorite tactic was to find some new, unorthodox way to utilize the Bigby's Hand spell (like flipping the general off). But that also meant that he often forgot or ignored many of his other abilities until he was desperate. Then he'd use something like the lightning bolt once and never again. He's just weird like that.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Saw KIMI the other night - just premiered on HBOMax and theatres. Saw the trailer and I thought it looked kinda dumb, but the girl wanted to see it so we put it on. Pretty fun and well-paced movie, kept me entertained and the hour and a half was over before I knew it. Would recommend.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I watched episode 7 of Peacemaker. It's become one of my favorite shows. It's stupid, it's funny, it's got action and (I never thought I'd say this) John Cena has some acting chops. The beginning and ending of episode 7 were fairly impactful. Of the three shows I've been watching recently (Peacemaker, Boba Fett, Vox Machina) this one is the best.

Peacemaker wasn't that good of a character in The Suicide Squad, so when I saw they were doing a series based on him, I didn't think much of it.

However, I saw it being advertised on HBO Max when looking on there a few days ago, so my wife and I figured we'd give the first episode a shot. And holy shit, did they really make his character a lot more likeable. I really love all the non-PC humor of everyone in that show. They definitely didn't give it the "Disney treatment" by making everything safe and generic.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Antlers

It was produced by Guillermo del Toro, so I had hopes that it would be good/interesting as I generally like most things he's involved in.

However it was very slow, boring, and filled with a whole lot of nothing. 3/10

Jul 27, 2020
"Marry me" was typical romcom.

"The sky is everywhere" was trippy. I preferred that to the mad glitz and glamor of "Marry me".

"The King's Man": Good fight scenes. Why they have to include at least one cringe-worthy scene in that series of movies is beyond me.

Russian monk licking thigh wound. Never thought I would see THAT happen!

"King Richard": The highlight was Will Smith playing the role of a crazy determined father.

His predictions were insane and yet they happened. Definitely something he saw in a dream or a deal with the devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.