NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 902 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I've anecdotally found, in chatting with people, that this movie is "about" whatever people are offended by, whether it be covid, climate change, government ineptitude....then they go off on a rant.
i guess you're right. It's about all those things, not just one.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
"A Ghost Story" currently on Netflix until Jan 6th (US). I put this movie on my watchlist a while ago when I saw it on a Flick Connections recommendation video. When I noticed this was leaving soon I decided to watch it. It's a 90% silent movie. A young couple lives in a pretty ratty exurban house, she wants to move, he doesn't. He dies, turns into a ghost haunting the house. The movie flashes back and forth from the future to when the land was first settled and (mercifully) finally ends.

I'm sure this movie made some sense to someone, but it totally escaped me. It could have been easily edited down to 15-20 minutes without losing anything. My rating 2/10. Watching paint dry is more entertaining.

I thought it was alright - my favorite part is when Rooney Mara eats a pie for like five minutes straight.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
That is a sign of a good storytelling. I hadn't intended on watching it watched it, as I'm kind of over political satire at the moment, but that statement put it on my radar.
It is not a subtle movie at all, yet those who are upset at it(again anecdotally) act like it is some insidious thing. Which makes me feel worse since they act like it was some big mystery they solved.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Matrix Resurrections - 5/10
Red Notice - 7/10

I watched these movies within a couple of days of each other and had a pretty dismal realization in that the action scenes were more well done in Red Notice than the Matrix.

The Matrix movies were pretty important to me in my youth and I loved them, flaws and all. While I know the new one could most likely never reach such heights I at least expected some good fights and jeez I was disappointed in that specifically. My preset mood going into the movie was to prepare for mediocrity and my mental state did not shift much throughout the movie, except for the occasional sigh or face palm.

At over two hours long it still managed to have almost no depth and ironically no breadth either. It felt like hopping between small bubbles or something, perhaps covid REALLY limited the filming? I doubt it.

One particular scene or two, involving miniguns was a bit annoying. While I get everyone is enhanced at the art of dodge,dip,duck,dive,and dodging one doesn't hop around the proverbial corner from minigun fire. In contrast to the Matrix wherein the minigun scene is so much better. It was slowed down, briefly shown in real time, and left massive damage(definitely whiffs of "dodge this").

Some interesting seeds of lore were planted but not explored...yet(ugh).

Interestingly while watching Shang-chi my wife really enjoyed the fighting/dancing aspects of that movie. Which I think the trilogy does a good job of story telling via fights. There was none of that here. Now that she has that perspective I want to watch the trilogy and see what she thinks.

Red Notice was more fun than I was expecting and a perfectly enjoyable buddy heist.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That is a sign of a good storytelling. I hadn't intended on watching it watched it, as I'm kind of over political satire at the moment, but that statement put it on my radar.

I kind of liked it. It reminded me of the kids action films from the 80's. Think Explorers (1985), The Goonies, or even ET. Instead of just rebooting the franchise, like Ghostbusters (2016) was trying to do, it took the show to a whole new genre.
It brought the nostalgia to please the old audience, but managed to shoe in a decent kids action flick between the obligatory cameos.
So, given that my rating is
Ghostbusters: Afterlife - 6/10 - It is a fun kids adventure flick held down by being branded Ghostbusters. Tell basically the same story but without all the build up to the cameos and it would have been a modern day Goonies.
yes I was thinking the same thing. It had the elements of old fashioned kid adventure movies but everything felt flat and uninspired.
And all their work was pointless when we get to the end battle and, well, you know what happens there.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i wanted to just watch one scene but wind up watching the whole thing, Deadpool 2: Super Duper Edition - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5463162/alternateversions

mmmyyyeh, it's defo good, but this film to me is the bare minimum standard that i'll accept a superhero film to be at.
Good things about the film: it's decently funny and it's got some vulgar, infantile humour that is exactly what i want.
Bad things about the film: it's still, like, SUPER PG-13.

Ryan Reynolds isn't really the man to deliver dark humour and try as they might, the dialogue here pales in comparison to, let's say, any Dirty Harry film. It's not the content of pee & poo & fart jokes, or the extremely chaste lesbian jokes, it's the delivery. He is just to "Disney" to pass the test.

My vote: 7/10 (mostly because of the paradrop scene which is great. And also Peter. Peter is fantastic.)

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Matrix: Resurrections 0/10

first hr was fan service...flashbacks...
the next 2 hrs was WTFBBQ?!

had no clue what the F the next 2hrs were!
of to the wiki i go...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I liked Ghostbusters Afterlife. It had just enough nostalgia to bring back the 80's movie experience, but it told it's own story in a unique way. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched The Road Warrior for the first time in maybe 20 or so years. For a movie that's 40+ years old it holds up remarkably poorly. It is really such a bad movie. Why did I ever think it was a classic?

Reactions: stargazr

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Watched The Road Warrior for the first time in maybe 20 or so years. For a movie that's 40+ years old it holds up remarkably poorly. It is really such a bad movie. Why did I ever think it was a classic?
absolutely agree. Very little dialogue that's badly delivered and barely audible, extremely basic story but also difficult to understand wtf is going on.
The only saving grace is the last 10 minutes with the car chase and ankle handcuff scene.

Reactions: stargazr

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You cant even do a search for Dexter on google or bing without getting spoilers. The first line in many web articles is a huge plot spoiler.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched the pretty good The French Dispatch - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8847712/reference

the latest work by Wes Anderson, and, it is very much a Wes Anderson film, so if you like his previous films you will like this as well.
.. not a lot to be said about the story.
3 separate vignettes tied by a very tenuous thread, but really it's all about Anderson's ability to compose scenes which are both absurd but also believable.
I was slightly disappointed by a protracted animated sequence at the end, but an otherwise good film.
Notable roles by Adrian Brody, Frances MacDormand, and Benicio Del Toro.
Isle Of Dogs was better though, because it managed to stick to its story from beginning to end, and kept it entertaining. Grand Budapest, while it does stick to one story, it's more sparse with content.

7.5/10 - less plot, more visuals, same film.
If the 3 episodes were show separately, i would rate them 8/10, 7.5/10, 7.5/10.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
i watched the pretty good The French Dispatch - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8847712/reference

the latest work by Wes Anderson, and, it is very much a Wes Anderson film, so if you like his previous films you will like this as well.
.. not a lot to be said about the story.
3 separate vignettes tied by a very tenuous thread, but really it's all about Anderson's ability to compose scenes which are both absurd but also believable.
I was slightly disappointed by a protracted animated sequence at the end, but an otherwise good film.
Notable roles by Adrian Brody, Frances MacDormand, and Benicio Del Toro.
Isle Of Dogs was better though, because it managed to stick to its story from beginning to end, and kept it entertaining. Grand Budapest, while it does stick to one story, it's more sparse with content.

7.5/10 - less plot, more visuals, same film.
If the 3 episodes were show separately, i would rate them 8/10, 7.5/10, 7.5/10.

Saw it in the theatre with a cocktail and some gourmet pub nachos, enjoyed it overall as well as the grub, and also agree, the first story was the best.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
The Protege(Netflix) - 6.5/10 have been years since I last watched anything M Q she really does grow into her own.
The tracker - 4/10
Trauma Center - 4/10

Watched those on Netflix while WFH my thoughts are dam those oldies - Dolph, Keaton, S Jackson and Willis - really need to hang it up, they can "barely" walk up a flight of stairs or pick things up the floor. In action film. I don't blame them to bag a few more but Hollywood needs to move on.

To my surprise, Keaton is in the best shape amount them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ted Lasso - last girl I dated and the girl I'm currently dating both raved about this show. So I started it last week. Binged Season one and made it to Episode 10 out of 12 in Season 2 last night. Will finish the last two tonight most likely.

This is a great show. After the first couple I'm like this guy is insufferable and I'm going to hate him. If that is you, just keep watching, it's great. There are a lot of good one liners in there that they just deadpan and slip in. Some episodes are good vs great, but there are fantastic ones as well, and most are on the better side of good - overall it's an excellent show. It's kind of what we need to see today during these cynical trying times.

Season 1 felt truly like a comedy series at heart with drama mixed in. Season 2 has really started to meld it into a half comedy/half drama show and exploring the characters more and more and I'm here for it. It's hard not to love some of these characters. They do go through their own internal voyages and it's interesting to see, while it's also quite fun and lightearted and goofy at the same time. There are a good amount of laugh out loud scenes. Love the interspersion of British and American humour.

Reactions: Charmonium

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Elvira: Mistress of the Night (1988) 9/10

Started reading her 2021 published memoirs (which starts great and keeps getting better!!!) and thought to look for videos of her and discovered the movie. It's a hoot!

Last edited:
Reactions: shortylickens

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched:
Ghostbusters Afterlife - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4513678/reference

and i found it to be a fairly competent film. Maybe a bit slow. But considerint the trainwreck that Sony was coming out of with Ghostbusters (2016), this is viable effort to revitalize the franchise.
It's not a film about a bunch of goofy and slightly shady characters trying to wing it and failing comically, it's about ghostbusting. It's about the pewpew laz0rs and the ghosttrap and, well, why not, the background stuff to the original Ghostbusters is a pretty solid foundation to build on, but it's closer to Goonies than it is to the 1984 film.
Kinda like, if they remade Star Wars, but made it about the lightsabers instead of t.. uh, what? THEY DID WAHT ?

it's ok. It was ok.
My vote: honest 7/10, i really liked the cameos, and i honestly though that the homage to the character of Egon was scripted in a way that actually works for the film. But it's a "kids having fun" film and not my cup of tea, but in a day and age that we are in, even this gets 7/10.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Miami Vice
10 / 10

Only problem is I'm gonna have to spend the rest of the winter binging, cuz theres too many episodes.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Eternals 3.5 / 10

I'm not sure if I'm just starting to getting "Marveled out" with so many Marvel movies, but I thought this one was pretty boring.

From not really liking most of the characters, to most of everything being in "joke mode" the whole time despite the severity of everything going on, I just found it uninspired.

The last three Marvel movies that I have watched (Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Shang-Chi, and now Eternals), I just haven't enjoyed any of them like I did with the first few waves of the various Marvel universe movies.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Covid has come to my house, so it is lay on the couch and watch movies times. Last night I wanted something that was just a dumb action flick. I did not want to think about my movie. I didn't want to be wowed by the cinematography. I wanted cheap entertainment. So I watched Venom: Let There Be Carnage and I got what I wanted.

Let me explain this movie. It is basically a buddy cop/odd couple movie. You know the type, one is a lose cannon the other is a straight-laced follow the rules type. They have to live/work together, or in this case share a body. It is basically the 1984 movie All of Me but with an murderous alien instead of rich paraplegic. There is some hijinks, there is the big argument, then there is a girl to save. The odd couple realizes that their differences are their strength and everyone learns to get along. The alien eats some people.

My rating 4 Lily Tomlins out of 10. No one in this movie is Steve Martin.

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched one for the connoisseurs, and i bet @zinfamous loves this,

Greaser's Palace - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068659/reference

i was drawn to this film by, i won't lie, Toni Basil's naked beewbs. Yes, THAT Toni Basil.
But she is in just two small, inconsequential scenes.

GP is a acid-western, and tells the story of the meeting of two main characters, Mr Greaser, who is a "bad man from westerns", the same evildoer that every spaghetti western has. He kills people for fun, keeps a mariachi band in chains, to play for him when he tries to take a dump, and has *very* little dialogue.
The other character is a Jesus-like figure, dressed as a pimp, who casually raises the dead, and speaks in enigmas. A good deal of Jesus imagery in the film, but a fairly bland story. The two characters "clash", with Jesus winning and The Devil (mr Greaser) losing.

If i had ever managed to watch the entirery of The Holy Mountain, i would say it probably has a lot in common with this, except that this film is lower budget.

it's not great. it can't decide if it wants to be a complely abstract art film, or a mild retelling of the jesus story. It doesn't do well at either. Not a lot of boobs, in fact, very few boobs.
Allan Arbus (of MASH) was pretty good as jesus. The other actors aren't given any real roles to play so, i can't say much for them. The dialogue as a whole is pretty much shit.

Directed by none other than Robert Downey SENIOR, and the first film role of a very young - 7yo - Robert Downey Junior.

My vote: 5.5/10 - needs more boobs.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay
Status
Not open for further replies.