NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 900 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched The Book of Boba Fett episode 1. 6/10, solid D effort. Nowhere near as good as Mandalorian, even the music is a lesser version. The whole episode was a bunch of nothing, could have been handled in 5 minutes. Was disappointed to see that it wad written and directed by Favreau given the good work he's done on other projects. It might get better in the next seven episodes but given what we've seen of Boba Fett and Fennec Shand in Mando season 2 and this episode is looking like a big time miss.

Reactions: ultimatebob

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The Suicide Squad (2021)

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to people who are inclined to watch comic-book movies. I also enjoyed the somewhat flawed 2016 movie because at least it had something a bit more going for it than the standard 'hero needs to save the world' schtick that the industry keeps churning out over and over again. But I enjoyed the 2021 film more than the 2016 film. Though there was one remarkable flaw in it that wasn't a showstopper:

The squad trying to 'save' Colonel Flag, the whole comic relief on "who's the better killer", somehow killing two people by fire without their screams raising the alarm across the whole camp, then the fact that the guerilla leader is like "oh well" with an implied "I have more" despite her guys getting toasted for no good reason. Definitely raised an eyebrow here, didn't sit well with the rest of the plot about where one morally draws the line. It should have been left on the editing room floor IMO.

Like with the 2016 movie, I have a whole lot more patience with comic book films that don't follow the standard formula, and the 2021 movie goes off piste quite a bit in a good way, and there were a few aspects I loved about it.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I watched the new Matrix movie last night. I thought the first maybe 20-30 minutes were pretty dang good, up until Thomas Anderson was freed. The whole White Rabbit music scene was cool, and his first meeting/talk with "Tiff" was very well-done.

After that, I felt the movie completely fell apart and missed whatever point it was trying to make. The action scenes sucked, and the whole IO stuff brought me right back to the sequels... I kept thinking, "I really don't care, can Niobe just shut the hell up? Who gives a shit about strawberries?" Too many boring scenes talking about things that didn't matter to the plot. Even scenes with the new Architect were way too drawn out.

I also agree with those who are saying it felt like just another cheap reboot. From how "nicely" everything was polished to the action to the dumb jokes and characters.

I stopped watching maybe 20 minutes before the end, so I'll have to go back and see what happens.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Without Remorse -10/10 WTF, the book was fine, why did they have to reinvent a story?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ok I just checked and its netflix so yeah, whole season at a time.
Back in the Youtube days it was one by one.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Don't Look Up - worth a watch. The first half had us laughing out loud quite a bit. It was hilarious and great commentary and fast paced. The second half slowed down a bit, still had good moments, as well as some that were a bit too heavy handed. Good ending. Watch through the credits.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The Silent Sea 5/10

A little slow, but interesting with the characters.

The ending sucked big time as they really jumped the shark in the final 15 minutes or so.
6/10 for me. The science in Sci-Fi was pretty well broken. The end did jump the shark as you point out - and then abruptly ended.
Though the dubbing was better than usual, I still hate it. Please let the actors speak in their own voice and provide a decent translation in the captions.
The 'Americanized' dubs irk me, as always.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Watched The Book of Boba Fett episode 1. 6/10, solid D effort. Nowhere near as good as Mandalorian, even the music is a lesser version. The whole episode was a bunch of nothing, could have been handled in 5 minutes. Was disappointed to see that it wad written and directed by Favreau given the good work he's done on other projects. It might get better in the next seven episodes but given what we've seen of Boba Fett and Fennec Shand in Mando season 2 and this episode is looking like a big time miss.

I'm hoping that it gets better. Right now, I'm just not really buying the story and I'm starting to wonder if George Lucas did the right thing by killing off Boba Fett in Return Of the Jedi.

Reactions: shortylickens

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
6/10 for me. The science in Sci-Fi was pretty well broken. The end did jump the shark as you point out - and then abruptly ended.
Though the dubbing was better than usual, I still hate it. Please let the actors speak in their own voice and provide a decent translation in the captions.
The 'Americanized' dubs irk me, as always.

You don't get to pick Korean with subtitles? Netflix tends to include original audio track.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Crumbs, forgot to check!
netflix screen cap.png

:colbert:

screen cap doesn't capture the video image lol. I could take a pix from my phone but that is just too much work. I refuse to watch anything not in original language.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm going to give New Years Rockin' Eve a 2/10. Seriously, the music was terrible, the hosts were annoying, and even the ball drop itself felt like a giant Kia commercial. I don't understand why people watch this crap every year... "tradition" I guess.

Some traditions deserve to die... this is one of them.

The Nashville New Years Eve concert on CBS was MUCH better.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Rewatched most of the Walking Dead all December (Season 1-11) on Netflix. IMO, the best of the WD were seasons 1-6. I especially liked how Rick and crew escaped Terminus, and are wandering the road before they meet Aaron. The Savior episodes aren't bad as well. A little drawn out. IMO, Jeffrey Dean who plays Neagan is keeping the show afloat, and it will be interesting to see if they decide to kill; him off in the end. I think he will die saving Maggie, or her son Glen Jr. Its shaping up to be that way. We shall see. Cooooooorallll!!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Rewatched most of the Walking Dead all December (Season 1-11) on Netflix. IMO, the best of the WD were seasons 1-6. I especially liked how Rick and crew escaped Terminus, and are wandering the road before they meet Aaron. The Savior episodes aren't bad as well. A little drawn out. IMO, Jeffrey Dean who plays Neagan is keeping the show afloat, and it will be interesting to see if they decide to kill; him off in the end. I think he will die saving Maggie, or her son Glen Jr. Its shaping up to be that way. We shall see. Cooooooorallll!!
I loved this show, but then they killed my favorite. Has the show remained good the last few seasons?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That's what I thought..
My wife still occasionally watches it (she said she really doesn't like it anymore, but she wants to know how it will end after watching it from the beginning), and the few times I've been in the room when she does, the show has become so boring and stupid.

They basically rebooted the series after season 8. It's now more a soap opera than a zombie show.

Any of good / interesting characters they didn't kill off, they turned into boring versions of their former selves.

Status
Not open for further replies.