NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Police Academy series 1-7. Not in one go though. I just watched 7 last night.

The first one was probably the best. They're all good, but the first 3 are the best ones I'd say. I always laugh how Lesard ends up getting in some situation but ends up coming back and the end and saving the day. Hilarious stuff.

The first one was by FAR the best. It had boobs and sexy talk.
After that they tried too hard to appeal to the family market. Fuck PG! FUCK IT!

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Watched 3 movies over the weekend.

1. Avengers - 8/10. Not bad but not as great as other said. Definitely not in the same league as other comic movies such as Iron Man, Spider.

2. SnowWhite - 4/10. Goodness, how could they greenlighted this crap? The scences with the dwarps were soooo boring.

3. Prometheus - 9/10. Darn good sci fi movie. Love the humanoid character (play baskball and study langue by self) and the blondie hotshot. How could this be the "preque" for a certain sci movie while it took place years later?

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Watched 3 movies over the weekend.

1. Avengers - 8/10. Not bad but not as great as other said. Definitely not in the same league as other comic movies such as Iron Man, Spider.

2. SnowWhite - 4/10. Goodness, how could they greenlighted this crap? The scences with the dwarps were soooo boring.

3. Prometheus - 9/10. Darn good sci fi movie. Love the humanoid character (play baskball and study langue by self) and the blondie hotshot. How could this be the "preque" for a certain sci movie while it took place years later?

Agree with your rating on Prometheus. I enjoyed it a lot even though I've had a few questions after watching the movie. It was extremely engaging and pretty well done.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Nude nuns with big guns - 3/10

Lot of nude nuns, not enough big guns. Terrible acting and most of the girls are not even hot. One of the cheesiest scripts I have ever come across.. and every women in this movie gets raped at least once. Pathetic. I do enjoy exploitation flicks.. not this one though.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Prometheus: 8/10 while watching it, 6/10 right after it finished and 2/10 for fucking up so badly in such easily fixed ways some few days later.

I say, go watch it: but don't bother with the "water cooler" talk, it's a bunch of shit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Doubt anyone cares, but it looks like Saturday Night Live reinserted all their musical numbers into the Netflix streaming episodes.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Not sure why people keep saying this. It takes place 30+ years before Alien. It's in the movie and it's all over the web...don't be confused by the "computer tech" in the movie. It is still before it.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Natural Born Killers - 7/10
There's nothing done wrong with it. It's awesome, in a bit of hokey, sarcastic way. In the days of smart phones, Twitter, and Fox News, where salacious TV is has had its day, and is now a refined part of everyday news, it just lacks that punch that it had, watching it the first time, years ago. It is a movie from the 90s, that speaks to the 90s.

Whiteout - 3/10
Kate Beckinsale, playing a good guy with a gun, rushing to find a killer before getting stuck for months in Antarctica...it is exactly what you would expect from the cover picture and description. Not a good movie, but kind of fun to watch. I wonder, was the vodka bit an intentional allusion to Leviathan? Some movies deserve to be made with unknown casts and low budgets, and this was one of them.

Doubt anyone cares, but it looks like Saturday Night Live reinserted all their musical numbers into the Netflix streaming episodes.
Will they ever fully release them, though? The 80s are really bad, FI. I want to see exactly what got aired, sans commercials, dammit. No best of, no editing for time, none of that. Grrr.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Windfall - 4/10

imo A very disappointing documentary on the emergence of wind energy and it's effect on communities. I approached this movie in a hopeful manner, with an open mind, but the only sure thing I got out of it is that some people just don't like what it does to their property values. Most of the documentary follows the soap opera-like machinations of a small town board, which holds about as much interest for me as an actual soap opera. I would have loved some hard data (medical and financial), but aside from a few nebulous charts none was presented here. I constantly found myself anticipating the shock moment, where the ugly tarp is ripped off of the industry, but alas - it never came.

Do issues exist with wind energy production? Surely.

But I'm gonna need more that this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Natural Born Killers - 7/10
There's nothing done wrong with it. It's awesome, in a bit of hokey, sarcastic way. In the days of smart phones, Twitter, and Fox News, where salacious TV is has had its day, and is now a refined part of everyday news, it just lacks that punch that it had, watching it the first time, years ago. It is a movie from the 90s, that speaks to the 90s.

Whiteout - 3/10
Kate Beckinsale, playing a good guy with a gun, rushing to find a killer before getting stuck for months in Antarctica...it is exactly what you would expect from the cover picture and description. Not a good movie, but kind of fun to watch. I wonder, was the vodka bit an intentional allusion to Leviathan? Some movies deserve to be made with unknown casts and low budgets, and this was one of them.

Will they ever fully release them, though? The 80s are really bad, FI. I want to see exactly what got aired, sans commercials, dammit. No best of, no editing for time, none of that. Grrr.

They're all 65 minutes long. Do you think thats edited?

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Act of Valor - 9/10 - wow, awesome movie. Great action scenes. Only reason I didn't give it a 10/10 was because the the acting in the non-action scenes was kind of meh (but then again, they weren't actual actors). The plot was kinda of meh too.
I watched it last night. I really can't add anything else...

Browsing Bandito Brothers Productions website today and it's pretty interesting.

Nov 7, 2000
Alien - Director's Cut - 8.3/10 - Never seen before (aside from bits and pieces on cable and certain famous scenes). Came away impressed, esp since its 20+ years old at this point. I thought the pacing was deliberate and effective, I can see why the film has had a long lasting impression.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Prometheus: 8/10 while watching it, 6/10 right after it finished and 2/10 for fucking up so badly in such easily fixed ways some few days later.

I say, go watch it: but don't bother with the "water cooler" talk, it's a bunch of shit.

AMEN!

Sep 29, 2004
The Avengers - 7/10 - I thought it was overall good. Someone more familiar with the Marvel universe would probably like it more than I did.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK first off, in 1962 paid Vegas girls would not have been so scrawny and anorexic. Guys hired much healthier, fuller ladies.

2nd: Aside from having a showdown at the end is there any reason Erik didnt kill Kevin Bacon right there on the spot? He was angry and apparently crushing the two soldiers who DIDNT shoot his mom was perfectly acceptable.

And how much canon did they break by making Mystique 70 years old and Xaviers best friend?

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Brave 7/10 - The animation is amazing; the rest, not so much. The story was pretty unoriginal and cliched. Throughout the movie it felt more of a Dreamworks film.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Insidious 9/10 - (On a horror genre scale) - Um hell yes? I don't know what else to say. I was forced to watch Exorcise when I was ~9 years old and have been a horror fanatic ever since. This movie is awesome. It's like the Exorcist meets Poltergeist meets Awesome. It's so refreshing to see to see a newer horror movie that doesn't suck, my only regret is waiting so long to watch it since I assumed it would suck!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Set Up 6/10 - this starred Bruce Willis, 50 Cent, & Ryan Phillippe. I have no idea why Bruce would do such a film but it happened. It was still watchable though half the people will tell you they turned it off halfway through because of the acting, plot, and Ryan Phillippe as a thug. You know what gets me in movies though? When someone is tailing a car and they park right out in front of where they stop, maybe like a house or two away. And the person being followed looks around and DOES NOT SEE THE CAR there. Seriously, this is the most annoying thing ever.

In this movie, 2 russian guys are picking up $2mil from the ground where it was buried and within unobstructed and close viewing distance 50 Cent's car pulls up and they don't know he's just arrived. Another scene a chick was just let loose after 50 Cent interrogates her... he follows... she goes to someone's house and 50 Cent parks 1.5 houses away right on the sidewalk with no other cars around. Umm... you were just attacked by the big black dude and then unknowingly lead him right where he needed to go and don't see the only car right behind you after you park? With the same big black dude sitting in it in broad daylight? Is this not obvious to the director???

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Alien - Director's Cut - 8.3/10 - Never seen before (aside from bits and pieces on cable and certain famous scenes). Came away impressed, esp since its 20+ years old at this point. I thought the pacing was deliberate and effective, I can see why the film has had a long lasting impression.

1979 - Makes it closer to 33 years.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
OK first off, in 1962 paid Vegas girls would not have been so scrawny and anorexic. Guys hired much healthier, fuller ladies.

2nd: Aside from having a showdown at the end is there any reason Erik didnt kill Kevin Bacon right there on the spot? He was angry and apparently crushing the two soldiers who DIDNT shoot his mom was perfectly acceptable.

And how much canon did they break by making Mystique 70 years old and Xaviers best friend?

Funny, I watched this last night. The soldiers died because they had metal helmets. Shaw didnt have any metal on him, and Magneto couldnt control it yet so he couldnt use the metal around him to impale Shaw.

Mystique's age is never known in comics, only alluded to. I think it breaks canon somewhat making her age along side Xavier, but they do have a history and I think at some point she was an official member of X-men. The story as is was pretty good. The only good X-men movie made so far, IMHO.

Sep 29, 2004
Promethius - 9/10 - The only reason I did not give it a 10/10 is because it was not scary enough. It had a solid plot and didn't have many holes. Yes, it had a few holes but I could live with them. Overall it was an interesting sci fi movie. I hope there is a sequel.

Brave - I've seen alot of Pixar movies. This is one that I would not care to see again. My daughter who is 5 loved it. But this is probably in the bottom half of Pixar movies. Adults - 4/10 .... kids 8/10 ..... parents be warned. This movie has some scary parts to it. I would not take anyone 4 or under to it.!

The Avengers - 7/10 - Good overall but I am not familiar with all of the marvel universe. The lack of character introductions pissed me off. I did not know who the
bow an arrow guy was. Nor the girl.
someone more familiar with the marvel universe would like it more than I did. If you have not seen Thor and have netflix streaming, watch Thor on Netflix before seeing The Avengers!

Status
Not open for further replies.