NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 897 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Season of witch 2011
Cage/Perlman were awesome, plot twist didn't see it coming while it kinda make sense.
7.5/10

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Has anyone here seen Matrix Resurrection yet? If so, can you let me know if someone who liked episode 1 but disliked episodes 2 and 3 is going to be a fan of it? Reviews so far have been mixed.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Has anyone here seen Matrix Resurrection yet? If so, can you let me know if someone who liked episode 1 but disliked episodes 2 and 3 is going to be a fan of it? Reviews so far have been mixed.
What does Star Wars have to do with The Matrix?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The Voyeurs 7.5/10 on Amazon. Not sure I gave it this rating for the plot or the sex/nudity but I enjoyed it. Wished the lead character was taken in a more negative direction over her guilt.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The Voyeurs 7.5/10 on Amazon. Not sure I gave it this rating for the plot or the sex/nudity but I enjoyed it. Wished the lead character was taken in a more negative direction over her guilt.
This sounds a whole lot like a remake of the 1954 Hitchcock classic The Rear Window.
Have you seen that movie? How does it compare? I mean obviously these actors are no Grace Kelly and James Stewart.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This sounds a whole lot like a remake of the 1954 Hitchcock classic The Rear Window.
Have you seen that movie? How does it compare? I mean obviously these actors are no Grace Kelly and James Stewart.
Bases on written synopsis, the early premise is very similar to Rear Window. I may try to find a copy so I can compare. Although, I bet Grace Kelly ain't doin' full frontal :p

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Bases on written synopsis, the early premise is very similar to Rear Window. I may try to find a copy so I can compare. Although, I bet Grace Kelly ain't doin' full frontal :p

I see you can rent it on Amazon, but I don't know anywhere it is a part of a subscription. I have all of Hitchcock's films on DVD, I might have Rear Window on Blu-ray.
No, Grace Kelly does not do any nudity in it, she plays the main characters girlfriend, not one of the girls in the windows. The best you get from her is a scene where she wears a silk nightie.
One of the great storytelling skills that Hitchcock perfected is to imply things that are not shown. In this show all of the nudity is implied. The most direct implication is we see Ms. Torso's back (played by Georgine Darcy (I had to look that one up)) as she puts on a shirt, implying that our protagonist saw her getting dressed.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Watched Unthinkable last night. 7/10 overall. Sheen did an outstanding job though. The torture scenes and dynamic of people being pushed to their limits in a horrific scenario really pumped my adrenaline up.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
some rando on Reddit decided that Season Of The Wich - a 2011 garbage film with Ron Perlman and Nicolas Cage (and a barely recognizable Christopher Lee) - was worthy of a OMFGBBQ wHy thIs 5.4/10 fILm on iMDb is sooo uNDerrAted post and so i wasted 20 minutes fast-forwarding through this pile of shit.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
some rando on Reddit decided that Season Of The Wich - a 2011 garbage film with Ron Perlman and Nicolas Cage (and a barely recognizable Christopher Lee) - was worthy of a OMFGBBQ wHy thIs 5.4/10 fILm on iMDb is sooo uNDerrAted post and so i wasted 20 minutes fast-forwarding through this pile of shit.
That is what you get for listening to those philistines over on Reddit. You should stick to our more refined and cultured suggestions.
Now, if you will excuse me I think I'm going to go watch The Mask of Zoro (1998)

Reactions: anky

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THIS THING IS DOG SHIT!

Not only is it blatant nostalgia-milking, but the jokes are all meta upon meta upon meta. The self-awareness is mind numbing. And its not clever, its just really god damn irritating. That along with all the incredibly blunt symbolism makes watching this a chore, not a pleasure.
Some symbolism not as blunt. Like neil patrick harris and his blue glasses, as he obviously represents the blue pill philosophy.
Of course, just 5 minutes earlier they were doing actually red and blue pills, and meta/self-aware jokes about the pills, which again, were not clever just annoying.

This fucking film is a chore. I'm glad I didnt drag my ass to a movie theater for it.

Reactions: Pohemi

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Not only is it blatant nostalgia-milking, but the jokes are all meta upon meta upon meta. The self-awareness is mind numbing. And its not clever, its just really god damn irritating. That along with all the incredibly blunt symbolism makes watching this a chore, not a pleasure.
Some symbolism not as blunt. Like neil patrick harris and his blue glasses, as he obviously represents the blue pill philosophy.
Of course, just 5 minutes earlier they were doing actually red and blue pills, and meta/self-aware jokes about the pills, which again, were not clever just annoying.

This fucking film is a chore. I'm glad I didnt drag my ass to a movie theater for it.
Damn, I WAS going to drag my ass to the theater for this one :(.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
↑↑↑
Hmm. Now I'm sorta curious. But more 'dead animal in the wood' curious than 'OMG is that a 50Tb RAID 5 array? curious.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Mask of Zorro (1998)
Banderas film? eh, that's not a bad flick.

.. uh .. which .. film ? Matrix ??

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Good god it was all terrible.
The whole thing is an allegory/metaphor/meta-commentary on the Matrix franchise and its fans and its actors (most of the first half is obvious references to Keanu Reeves being pigeonholed as "that matrix guy"). And none of it is funny or clever. That scene of overly cynical millennial d-bags talking in the office was especially annoying. They were clearly quoting message board posts from the early 2000's when the movies were still fresh and cool. I think the Wachowskis believe they would deflect the obvious accusations of nostalgia-milking by addressing it head on, but it just comes across as obvious and unimaginative. I can see why only a handful of actors bothered to come back.
And Neil Patrick Harris seems to be the most self-aware. His ham and cheese performance as the villain and copy of the Architect is full of sarcasm and cynicism. Its both the most sarcastic and most genuine performance at the same time. Kinda funny. But also tiresome.
Oh, as far as the actual plot goes, they just copy story beats and action sequences from earlier films, but poorly. Its not entertaining at all.

If you like feeling nostalgia for movies and also like having that nostalgia rubbed in your face, go stream it. Not worth a trip to the theater, in my opinion.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Finally got around to watching Eternals 6/10.

Not as bad as many said but not very good, either. And it's a LONG fucking movie. Way too long.

The story and scope of events occurring seem out of place compared to the other Marvel movies. If they let this franchise die I wouldn't shed any tears over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.