NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 872 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That...was a joke lol. John Cena is huge. That screenshot for reference was Mia Toretto climbing out of the window. You can see how small the car is because she barely got out of the window haha. The post was also a joke, because they took a Fiero to space, and yet seeing John Cena (big) climb into a late-model Supra (small) was what made me laugh lol.

I am going to interpret that Fiero in Space as a dig at Elon Musk.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I am going to interpret that Fiero in Space as a dig at Elon Musk.

It reeked of the Space Tesla, that's the exact comparison I mentally made as soon as they entered orbit lol. Same color & everything haha!

1625576483147.png

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Wow, and I thought that those ceramic coatings were only good for protecting the paint from rock chips. Now that I know that they'll also help you survive the vacuum of space, I gotta get one!

Don't forget the duct tape!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Just finished up season 2 of Black Summer on Netflix. This is a decent show if you accept what it is. My favorite scene was called "Mance" towards the end of the season 2 finale. It was an extremely intense chase and fight scene which highlighted the need to survive no matter what. The cinematography was outstanding despite the tight area they had to work with.

Feb 4, 2009
Watched Tomorrow War on Amazon. Pretty good overall with the obvious it is a Summer Action kind of movie. Some plot holes but don't all these type movies have plot holes.
Decent movie but go in blind don't read about it before watching.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Mare of Easttown - 7/10

It starts off pretty slow, I really wasn’t a fan of the first episode, but it quickly ramps up and becomes very good only to end… on sort of a down note. I recommend it but there are some problems. I’ll put spoiler stuff below.

My main complaint is there is literally no way anyone could figure out who the killer was up until the last half of the last episode. The show has no foreshadowing whatsoever. They just started tacking stuff into the plot the back half of the series. Like….. just reflect on the show . Is there any way in hell anyone could’ve guessed who the killer and people being involved was outside of a blind guess? The kid was hardly even in the show.

And regarding the guy keeping the girls in prison… I feel that’s just sort of a filler part of the show. When they realize it’s teenage prostitutes missing they find the guy rather quick, things get taken care of quick and you don’t hear much about the kidnapped girls rest of the series after the episode. This could’ve been much better written.

Finally the boy being the killer I thought was rather lame for no particular reason, I just didn’t like it. And a couple plot holes. First, he said he put the gun back the night of the killing but the gun owner said that the gun was missing for a while but showed up again…. That makes no sense. Is there something I am missing? Second, if the boy was wanting to just scare the chick WHY WOULD HE LOAD THE GUN? That makes no sense. And why would he only load it with two bullets?

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
The ice road - 5.5/10 Liam is like a more likable Steven Seagal, nothing make sense a mindless action(?) flick.

Tomorrow war 6.5/10 - Just like any time travel movie it just pretend changing time line don't matter, at least it have a good explanation of the attacker(s). OMG Chris need to easy on botox.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i actually havent watched anything until yesterday, where a certain website recommended that i watch
Bandits of Orgosolo - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053632/reference

A B&W, 1961 italian film about life in the Supramonte region of Sardinia.
Michele, a humble sheepherder, lives a hard but quiet life on the mountains. All he wanted was a flock of sheep, and the ones he has now he still hasn't finished paying for.
A small group of shady men join him at his sheepfold, one is injured. It's not clear who they are, but whatever it is, Michele wants nothing to do with it.
Later, a group of Carabinieri comes to the sheepfold to look for the obviously-bandits. A firefight breaks out and the Carabinieri make Michele to be one of their gang. Innocent and yet sure that he would be found guilty in a court, Michele has to go on the lam.

The film is entirely in black & white, and starring real-life local sheperds instead of professional actors. I suppose the main draw would be the scenery, the harsh, inhospitable sardinian landscape that, in the film, exiges its toll of life on Michele's sheep flock, and thus on his life. It won "Best Newcomer" at the 22nd Venice film festival, but it's not a film i would recommend. It's only interesting for the first half, becoming slow later on, as it doesn't have much of a story to tell. The setup is interesting, the actually-really-real characters are interesting, but once they are put on the stage, there's not much more to see. There is a "moral of the story" where Michele, not wanting to be a brigand, is forced to become one by the unescapable events of the film. Meh.

My vote: 6.5/10 - there's far more interesting italian period pieces out there.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Black Widow - 6/10

If you like the MCU then this one is just OK. If you don't like the MCU then there's no reason to watch it. The action is serviceable, not great. The plot is a bit meh. The whole thing really just exists to
get Florence Pugh into the MCU on the side of the evil/morally dubious Avengers team being assembled.

Also, I liked that
Taskmaster
isn't necessarily a one-and-done character but maybe they are.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Shazam! (2019)

Dumb and enjoyable. It has the virtue of being less predictable and therefore debatably better than Aquaman. The characters had a bit of depth too, unlike Aquaman.

It's on Amazon Prime in the UK currently.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That...was a joke lol. John Cena is huge. That screenshot for reference was Mia Toretto climbing out of the window. You can see how small the car is because she barely got out of the window haha. The post was also a joke, because they took a Fiero to space, and yet seeing John Cena (big) climb into a late-model Supra (small) was what made me laugh lol.
Mia's got HUGH hands. Unless that was just distortion in the picture.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Watched over a 1/2 hour of The Iron Giant (~2000?). Decided it wasn't for me and hit eject. Animation, seemed like it was made for 12 year olds.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It was Sci-fi in a time when there was not much out there for fans. Was it good sci-fi? Yes, based on what else has been presented to us, it was pretty good.
The fact is there just isn't much good Sci-fi out there, Firefly gets high ratings just for being competent.
Good show, too bad Fox cancelled it after that first season. They made a pretty good movie (Serenity) subsequently based on it. I have them on DVD, rewatchable. A terrific fan turned me onto them online, not me specifically, she was a super star on Rotten Tomatoes Forums back in the day, Katie, AKA, The Kid with a Helmet. She was super super into stuff. RIP RTF !!! :(

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched again Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120669/reference

idk, because Hunter Thompson came up.
I remember not liking this film back when it came out, aside from a couple of scenes (namely, the cop chase scene, and the entry into the cop convention), while everyone else loved it. Over the years the rose-tinted glasses took over and my opinion increased, only to plummed once again after watching it.
First off, what i didn't like is that the drug-induced overacting is waaaay over the top. It's comedic and unrealistic, where instead realism is what i would expect from the source material.
The plot is flimsy, and leaves out most of the internalised self-questioning of Thompson in his search for an ever-more-elusive American Dream.
The visuals are SO MUCH Terry Gilliam that you can tell it's a terry gilliam film without looking at IMDb; and maybe that's where the film fails, in my eyes. Gilliam is not a director suited to what is supposed to be, through the haze of drugs, a deadly cold and sobre look at Thompson's reality.

With the wisdom of time, i give it a 6.5/10 and a HA!, I WAS RIGHT.

it's the drug-use film for people who don't take drugs.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Black Widow - 6/10

If you like the MCU then this one is just OK. If you don't like the MCU then there's no reason to watch it. The action is serviceable, not great. The plot is a bit meh. The whole thing really just exists to
get Florence Pugh into the MCU on the side of the evil/morally dubious Avengers team being assembled.

Also, I liked that
Taskmaster
isn't necessarily a one-and-done character but maybe they are.

I had some similar feelings after watching the movie. Frankly, the best part of it is that I was able to watch it from home, which does provide the interesting added bonus of subtitles, which you don't get in the theater! Anyway, it felt a lot like an early Marvel movie where the characters were typically fun, but the bad guys and/or the story would feel a bit weak. Of course, it didn't help that Natasha felt a bit more like a bystander in the movie since Taskmaster wasn't specifically targeting her until the end of the movie; she was after the vials, which Natasha had.

In regard to Pugh's character's story, I wouldn't mind seeing Norman Osbourne in this universe to serve as the leader of the Dark Avengers.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The Quiet One (2019)

A behind-the-scenes look at Rock Bassist Bill Wyman, comprised of his own home movies accumulated over 30 years. If you don't know the name don't bother with the film, it, will not be interesting.

Major events from the Stones' History are the context to this life and the home movies reveal one surprising fact concerning his membership in Rock Stardom, making his career somewhat unique.

Reactions: stargazr

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Leverage Redemption 6/10
IMDB Tv made a new season of the old TNT? show Leverage. They got most of the original cast back and it is pretty much the same show. It never was a great show but it is a good background surfing the net show.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Infinite starring Mark Wahlberg 5/10

a few hundred people have lived centuries/millennia via reincarnation and remember their past lives (and skills) once they become a teenager (usually).

one side (Nihilists) wants to end the world because they are tired of living.
Other side (Believers) sees it as a gift to help mankind.
but the Nihilists already have a working weapon that can stop individual reincarnations and have been using it on the Believers for decades.
so instead of ending the world, why not just use this nullifier on themselves?!
MEH!

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Tomorrow War 7/10

Good action movie. Good fx.
some plot holes but not as bad as Infinity (see my review above).
Also, the comedy in the last 3rd of the movie disrupted the tone of the film.

Aliens invade Earth 30years in the future.
they use humans as food. 500k humans left on the planet.

the future created rudimentary time travel to come back 30yrs in the past to recruit/draft people to time travel to the future to fight.

1) Time travel paradox.
after your tour of duty is over in the future, you go back in the past.
what you do in the past alters the future.

2) the aliens are bullet resistant.
Why not give the new soldiers armor piercing bullets?

3) The male aliens can be killed by a toxin that the future created.
Why not bring that formula into the past?
at minimum, equip the soldiers going into the future with bullets tipped in that toxin.

also, the star was a Sargent in the Iraq war.
Before he gets drafted again, the soldiers from the future call him Sir.
thought Sir = officer?

edit:
This film was made by Paramount Pictures for a theatrical release but due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Paramount sold the film to Amazon Prime Video for $200 million.

cant believe Amazon bought it for $200m?!
i liked it but not worth $200M

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.