NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 867 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I went to see A Quiet Place Part II today. I enjoyed it.

Took my boys with me last Friday. Hadn't been to a theater with them in years. Some parts were a little slow but the suspense parts were pretty good. I felt like it was tough to beat the first one because now there's nothing else to really discover about them. In the end, it was worth the $4/ticket deal for a few jump scares and bad-ass parts. 7/10. The original I would put at 8.5/10.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Took my boys with me last Friday. Hadn't been to a theater with them in years. Some parts were a little slow but the suspense parts were pretty good. I felt like it was tough to beat the first one because now there's nothing else to really discover about them. In the end, it was worth the $4/ticket deal for a few jump scares and bad-ass parts. 7/10. The original I would put at 8.5/10.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 2nd one, I thought the 1st one was awesome.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Cruella - 8.5

Very much a "Disney" movie in many ways but I still enjoyed it. It seems that they've "re-imagined" the character and I think it works as long as you're not a stickler for canon accuracy - at least as much as I remember - which, honestly, probably isn't very accurate.

It's true that they just don't make villains like they used to. I've seen so many so-called "action" serials like stuff from Marvel and DC where the ubermench hero agonizes about shooting some degenerate chicken f***er. Sweet Jesus man, have you never heard that some people just need killin'? So stuff your pud back in your Speed Racer undies and f*** some folks up.

We also liked it, and agree with 8.5. Gave a history on Cruella, and we enjoyed it. The soundtrack was AMAZING. One of my favs of all time, 2nd to Forrest Gump. But just barely.

Mare of Easttown. 9/10 on HBO Max. Kate Winslet does a really, really good job. The story is engaging, and some plot twists. Deals with some real world issues, i.e. drug abuse and what it can do to a family.

Hacks 8/10 also on HBO Max. Some typical over the top feminist stuff, but overall a very good show. Funny and engaging, acting is pretty good. Overall witty and a good time.

Reactions: Charmonium

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Conjuring: The devil made me do it. 8/10

Based on real life event of a supernatural entity who takes over a young male who then kills someone. Scary movie.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Stranger Things Season 3 - 8/10

I actually jumped off the Stranger Things bandwagon after I was disappointed in the 2nd season. I was done with the series but decided to try out the 3rd season out of boredom one day and to my surprise really liked it. It's great! I love the plot line, I like the action, I thought the story was really cool. Yes you do need to have some reserves to the story as things get a little ridiculous but overall I thought it was great.

Yeah, I thought season 2 was pretty lame - I just watched seasons 1 and 2. I didn't really understand the whole going to Chicago thing and finding her sister; all that came out of it was, "Let the hate flow through you!" Hopefully they do something with the other subjects, if there are any.

And Max is a completely useless character. Ooo look at me, I can ride a skateboard and sort of drive a car, I'm a Zoomer! Great, Eleven can make people fly and break your neck with her thoughts.

I'll probably start season 3 soon.

Season 1 - 9/10
Season 2 - 6.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Spiral: From The Book Of Saw - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10342730/reference

starring none other than our very own Chris Rock.
Current IMDb rating: 5.4/10

Aside from the pretty brilliant Saw 1, the main audience of saw films care about gore and the traps. And those few that don't should not really be watch the .. uh .. 6th installment of the Saw series.
First off, Chris Rock is not an actor. An actor behaves and speaks in an artificial way which translates well to the screen but would be completely artificial IRL. Christ Rock really committed to the role and he behaves and talks like a normal human being would, in the situation, which is NOT what an actor would do. Because normal IRL behaviour does not translate well to the screen. That is why we pay actors millions of fucking dollars to star in a film.
Both the supporting cast's acting and their dialogue is very, very tropey, think "i'm a black policeman single dad with a young daughter and i will retire next week" and BAM! bad guy kill him.
Aside from these two cosmic flaws, yeah, it's a Saw film, a decent one at that.

6/10 - what were you expecting

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm of the maybe controversial opinion that Carlito's Way is a better film than Scarface, especially considering Sean Penn's performance.

I agree with this too....I never really liked Scarface. It just has that "DePalma cheese" which is probably a think that I invented for myself. The Untouchables is littered with it, but the Untouchables is also enjoyable in spite of it. Sean Connery is great in that film, in a pretty shitty way. I don't know how to describe other than that DePalma cheese is what DePalma deploys in most of his films in a very serious, intentional way; whereas it's the same sort of thing that David Lynch deploys in an ironic, humorous way. Like this: The first episode of Twin Peaks, when Laura Palmer's corpse is found, and you get this 2 minutes of overly-dramatic weeping from everyone. It's...absolutely hilarious and you can't stop laughing at it. it's brilliant, and the humor is intentional. If DePalma did that same thing, he would have done it because he thinks that is a real display of human emotion, and we should take it seriously.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, I thought season 2 was pretty lame - I just watched seasons 1 and 2. I didn't really understand the whole going to Chicago thing and finding her sister; all that came out of it was, "Let the hate flow through you!" Hopefully they do something with the other subjects, if there are any.

And Max is a completely useless character. Ooo look at me, I can ride a skateboard and sort of drive a car, I'm a Zoomer! Great, Eleven can make people fly and break your neck with her thoughts.

I'll probably start season 3 soon.

Season 1 - 9/10
Season 2 - 6.5/10
I'd rank season 1 and 2 pretty close to what you gave it, and I'd give season 3 even lower. I probably won't even watch season 4 when it comes out.

Reactions: Homerboy

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The first episode of Twin Peaks, when Laura Palmer's corpse is found, and you get this 2 minutes of overly-dramatic weeping from everyone. It's...absolutely hilarious and you can't stop laughing at it.
.. but but ... that's my favourite part of twin peaks !

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can someone who is smarter then me when it comes to movies watch this and give their review. You can find it on Tubi a free streaming service but there are commercials. Not bad considering.

She Wolf (2013). Filmed in black and white. A lichen type monster preys on men in a South American town, seduces and kills them. I won't spoil it further. I can't decide if I liked it because it has lots of sex or it was a well filmed movie and I can't recognize it. Maybe it's really bad but a real cinephile can give their opinion.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Can someone who is smarter then me when it comes to movies watch this and give their review. You can find it on Tubi a free streaming service but there are commercials. Not bad considering.

She Wolf (2013). Filmed in black and white. A lichen type monster preys on men in a South American town, seduces and kills them. I won't spoil it further. I can't decide if I liked it because it has lots of sex or it was a well filed movie and I can't recognize it. Maybe it's really bad but a real cinephile can give their opinion.
how did you come about this film? Streaming, video file, VHS, DVD .. ?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

Agree with your evaluation. I felt like I held my breath during the entire first movie. This one less so, but there were more jump scares. Was glad they went back to day 1 to show how some characters were before and how it started.

Husband and I have been going back to our multiplex for a few months now and usually we are the only ones at a showing. Yesterday there were 15 people in this 168 person theater and it felt crowded. No one vaccinated has to wear masks. They still block the seat on either side from each person or group, but no longer block the seats in front of and behind (this is a theater with all recliners so you are 6 ft from the person ahead or behind anyway. I, for one, am happy to be able to go back. Love seeing movies at the theater.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
American Animals - 8/10

Really enjoyed this heist movie & part documentary (Docudrama). Great pace and some interesting characters. Movie follows some college students who decide to rob a library of some rare books. There is no "Hollywood" requirements, just a solid heist movie.

Reminded me of the Vice series "How to Rob a Bank"

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Bad Milo 6/10

I was browsing the free movies on Amazon Prime, and randomly came across this one. It's a movie about a guy who has a monster in his butt, and it when he gets angry/stressed, it comes out and then returns back in after killing people. :p

I thought it was pretty funny, but my wife hated it and said it was stupid/gross. Sometimes you just need a good laugh, and movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Bad Milo 6/10

I was browsing the free movies on Amazon Prime, and randomly came across this one. It's a movie about a guy who has a monster in his butt, and it when he gets angry/stressed, it comes out and then returns back in after killing people. :p

I thought it was pretty funny, but my wife hated it and said it was stupid/gross. Sometimes you just need a good laugh, and movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

So pretty much the basis for Venom.

• Haha
Reactions: UsandThem

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched

Sharpe's Rifles -

yep,. that's a youtube link - available in full, in clear, for free.
It shouldn't be terribly obscure, because it's from 1993, but apparently Sean Bean - the guy who always dies? - had a looooong running TV series based on the Bernard Cowell "Sharpe" series, comprising 24 original books (now 25) and 16 full-length TV films.

AFAIK they are meant to be fairly accurate, at least historically. I cannot vouch for the recreationism.

In this first film, Sean Bean is Sharpe, a newly-made lieutenant in what i gather is the 1809 War Of The Fifth Coalition. Sharpe is a sergeant, but by pure luck he saves a high ranking officer from death, and is granted an on-the-field promotion and an assignment for a secret mission - to locate and rescue a Rotschild, on his way to provide a bank loan meant to pay the British army during their Portugal campaign.
Sharpe is a man of the ranks, and as such he's not loved by his new unit, who believe the old adage that an officer is cut from a different cloth. It's clear that Sharpe faces not one, but two battles ahead of him.

It's fairly good stuff.
It doesn't look early 90s, more middle 1980s, there's lots of fake dying and crummy shooting scenes, but Bean is pretty darn tough as the no-nonsense Sharpe.
It would probably look bad to anyone under 40 but i found it .. pleasurably quaint.

My vote: 6.5/10, YMMV, depends how much you like Sean Bean.

Status
Not open for further replies.