NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 849 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There is a Robocop 4.
I never knew this. Gonna try to find it, and watch it. IMDB says its terrible, but i have to see for myself.

Robocop 3 was famously bad, but it was famous.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Armageddon Tales - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13361358/

a collection of 4 short films with the common theme of postapocalyptic survival, yet set in different worlds. The first segment is pretty good, well made, reminiscent of the original Stalker. The other 3 are terrible, like a mediocre youtube scifi short. Laser-shooting Beretta 92s? ok dawg.

5/10 because the first segment is pretty good.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Judas And The Black Messiah - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9784798/

A case of "not for me" film. The story of the FBI's fight against the Black Panther Party, highlighting both the FBI's terroristic practices, and the BPP's mombers tendency to turn on each other. Well made for the most part, but i found myself struggling with the Afro-English that's being used by most of the primary characters, and didn't really sympathize with any of them.
I guess J&BM tried to portray a historically accurate BPP (something i know absolutely nothing about), because it doesn't try to paint a pretty picture, but rather depicts them as a group made up of everything between mothers wanting to feed their kids, and psychopaths wanting to kill something, anything.

I found the main character, played by Daniel Kaluuya, to be the weakest point of the acting. He's supposed to be charismatic, but comes off as just loud.

tentative vote of 7/10 (currently 7.7/10 IMDb)

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Judas And The Black Messiah - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9784798/

A case of "not for me" film. The story of the FBI's fight against the Black Panther Party, highlighting both the FBI's terroristic practices, and the BPP's mombers tendency to turn on each other. Well made for the most part, but i found myself struggling with the Afro-English that's being used by most of the primary characters, and didn't really sympathize with any of them.
I guess J&BM tried to portray a historically accurate BPP (something i know absolutely nothing about), because it doesn't try to paint a pretty picture, but rather depicts them as a group made up of everything between mothers wanting to feed their kids, and psychopaths wanting to kill something, anything.

I found the main character, played by Daniel Kaluuya, to be the weakest point of the acting. He's supposed to be charismatic, but comes off as just loud.

tentative vote of 7/10 (currently 7.7/10 IMDb)

I tried watching it last night,and I fell asleep on it. Not sure if I will give it another try.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Cant find Robocop 4.

Gonna sit down to watch Galaxis. Been meaning to see it for about 25 years now.
(you may know it as Terminal Force)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Cant find Robocop 4.

Is that the one where he helps a teenage gang or some "rebel" cops and citizens gang that is based in some warehouse, fighting the tyrannical gang of corporate city officials?

oh no, that appears to be robocop 3. These tend to pop up on those OTA channels, like 13-1 or something...COOL. or whatever it's called. They show cheesy and terrible action and sci fi movies and series of that era.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Terminal Force would have been an A+ on Red Letter Media.
For normal people its a D-.

Gonna watch Laser Mission next.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Laser Mission was shit.
Also an A+ for Red Letter Media but F for everyone else.

On the other hand, if you want to watch Brandon Lee in an early shitty role, trying his best, its fun to watch. Ernest Borgnine is horrible too.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Mr Robot - finished all 4 seasons the other day. Definitely 'influenced' by several classics of our day. Really got into Seaons 1 & 2 then got a bit disinterested in Season 3, picked it up again after a couple months, finished Season 3 and Season 4 clearly had a drive to get action packed. Overall it's a good idea to watch this series - there is some great dialogue, some great points made, good soundtrack, interesting characters, overall interesting story arch but it does kinda fall flat at the end, lots of points of suspending disbelief, but yet still worth watching as it does present a compelling story overall nonetheless.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Some of you had HBO in the 90's. And some of those people actually stayed up late to watch their original programs. And some of THOSE people actually liked Dream On. Those who did will be pleased to know they released the first two seasons on DVD, and sad to hear they never bothered with the rest.

Anyway, Dream On was kind of original and groundbreaking in its first year, but most other sitcoms kinda took their ideas and made better shows.

9/10 if you want to relive some old TV nostalgia. 5 / 10 if you are looking for real entertainment.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Some of you had HBO in the 90's. And some of those people actually stayed up late to watch their original programs. And some of THOSE people actually liked Dream On. Those who did will be pleased to know they released the first two seasons on DVD, and sad to hear they never bothered with the rest.

Anyway, Dream On was kind of original and groundbreaking in its first year, but most other sitcoms kinda took their ideas and made better shows.

9/10 if you want to relive some old TV nostalgia. 5 / 10 if you are looking for real entertainment.

oh wow, I barely remember that. Never could get into it (out of my age bracket, I think). ...and look at that cast, lol. Some people and, Michael McKean.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Finally got to watch Blade Runner 2049. I really liked it and enjoyed the pacing and visual effects. Had a little bit of trouble picking out the timeline between this one and the original but otherwise 8/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
oh wow, I barely remember that. Never could get into it (out of my age bracket, I think). ...and look at that cast, lol. Some people and, Michael McKean.

It was only applicable to thirty-somethings in the early 90's. Most everyone else didnt get it or at least didnt find it too relatable.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finally got to watch Blade Runner 2049. I really liked it and enjoyed the pacing and visual effects. Had a little bit of trouble picking out the timeline between this one and the original but otherwise 8/10
Its about 30 years after the last one ended. And thats important because you-know-who is about 30 and its possible he is not what he thinks he is. Which of course turns out to be a red herring.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Death Becomes Her 7/10
Dark comedy from 92 starring Bruce Willis, Meryl Streep, and Goldie Hawn. Haven't seen it in probably 25 years and it still holds up pretty well story wise and effects. On HBOMax.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Death Becomes Her 7/10
Dark comedy from 92 starring Bruce Willis, Meryl Streep, and Goldie Hawn. Haven't seen it in probably 25 years and it still holds up pretty well story wise and effects. On HBOMax.
a film i've never watched. At 19yo, when this came out, we thought it was too "girly" (because it had 2 women leads).
That year we watched White Men Cant Jump, Ferngully, Wayne's World, Wayn's World, Party Time, Excellent!, Dracula, Batman Returns, Cool World (eeuch) and My Cousing Vinnie.
Cool World was nowhere near as titillating as we expected it to be.
maxresdefault.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont have much nostalgia, being as I grew up a miserable little asshole.
BUT, I definitely miss the experimental phase of the 90's. A whole lot of big and small studios took risks on unknown directors, or known directors who wanted to try weird shit. The industry took a chance on Quentin Tarantino and I think we're all better off for it.
And weird shit like Death Becomes Her, Cool World, The Matrix, and a hundred others.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Hunt for Red October (1990) 8.7/10

So, out of nowhere, I got the idea to rewatch this DVD on my shelf. Hadn't seen it for ~dozen years. Maybe it was the fact that Sean Connery stars and I've been watching some of his 007 films. He's really good, but the whole movie is excellently cast and acted. The direction is great and subtle. The plot is somewhat complex sometimes (adapted from a novel) and my sub-par hearing didn't help me figure out what was going on, so I got the idea to rewatch the following night. Yup, twice last week. It holds up well for a 30 YO movie. And we still have those issues: nuclear submarines with enough fire power to incinerate all the major cities and those cold war tensions aren't really gone. If they were we wouldn't have those nuclear warheads all over the place.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
H4RO is my definition of "guilty pleasure". The bad russian accents, the scottish russian captain, the obviously jingoistic plot, the "star trek" brace-for-impact scenes, and yet ... i just can't look away. Sean Connery is just too cool to tell him he can't be russian.

7.5/10

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The Brothers Karamazov.
The wife's mother (100yrs.++) said to watch it so I dug it out of the newsgroups. The plot ? Who knows. I saw Yule Brynner's golden dome and slept right through :(.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Brothers Karamazov.
The wife's mother (100yrs.++) said to watch it so I dug it out of the newsgroups. The plot ? Who knows. I saw Yule Brynner's golden dome and slept right through :(.
the what ?
There have been several film adaptations of The Brothers Karamazov, including:

Status
Not open for further replies.