NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 842 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I found that out accidentally a long time ago. Apparently *** was used too much so the mods censored it.

And now we can never talk about the marvelous Dick Van *** again.

1.gif

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't know about the second episode, but the first was Dick Van ***, not Bewitched.

The second was definitely Bewitched, and it isn't hiding it with the opening... just like the first one wasn't hiding it when he almost tripped over the ottoman.

EDIT:

Yeah I found that out accidentally a long time ago. Apparently *** was used too much so the mods censored it.

And now we can never talk about the marvelous Dick Van *** again.

1.gif

If I recall, there's the single episode when he doesn't fall over it? I vaguely remember it as my mom loves the older TV shows.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I knew that a long time ago. I saw Laurence Fishburne in Deep Cover and I liked it. Then I finally saw Apocalypse Now and noticed he was in it. So his name stuck in memory.
One day during a very boring summer I was watching Pee Wee's playhouse reruns and saw him. Thought it was funny.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
wow, you dudes need to chill with your wanda vision. looks like something that has a multi-deal story that needs some unfolding and well, based on advertising, requires some appreciation for camp Doris Day, period fare, to "get it." I don't know. I haven't watched it and don't yet have the means to, but maybe in a couple months.

Also, maybe it's just realizing that the Marvel franchise really is just empty disappointment, in the end?

Reactions: sactoking

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Midnight Sky - 3/10

Another snoozefest waiting for something to happen (or some kind of character development). It never really arrives, and I found myself tuning out from the slow dialogue and lack of anything happening for long stretches.

I generally enjoy apocalypse type movies, and I even liked 4:44 Last Day On Earth which was a pretty slow movie itself, but at least you could connect to the characters a bit and feel for them. I hope we will get some better movies to watch later this year, as I haven't been impressed by too much new stuff released over the 6 months or so.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
wow, you dudes need to chill with your wanda vision. looks like something that has a multi-deal story that needs some unfolding and well, based on advertising, requires some appreciation for camp Doris Day, period fare, to "get it." I don't know. I haven't watched it and don't yet have the means to, but maybe in a couple months.

Also, maybe it's just realizing that the Marvel franchise really is just empty disappointment, in the end?
Some people really love the characters and stories in the Marvel Universe and were hoping to keep the magic alive. They had several good movies. And on Netflix they had a bunch of shows, though its debatable how good each of them was.
A lot of people today just wanna feel good. the horrific political situation has a lot of Americans scared. and being locked in their homes for months wasnt much fun either.

I dont love Marvel that much. Not like I loved Star Wars when I was still in my single-digit years. But I get why people are obsessed with it. It makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So they latch on and dont want to be disappointed.
Same as Harry Potter. And Lord Of The Rings. And, shockingly, Twilight. Its just their thing and they need it.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I thought that season three was a lot better than season two, but the problem is that it still focuses on some of the same, CW-style drama. What makes this worse is that the basic plot with the kids is pretty much the same as season two, but with some characters shuffled around between the two sides. I also found it odd that they had a community meeting about the karate incident, but they never show any other parents.

Yeah, that's why I said you can't look too deeply at it because it falls apart lol. The audience kind of has to stay buttoned-up in the nostalgic world they create because it doesn't hold up at ALL under any real-life scrutiny lol.

And CW-style is exactly what it felt like when when Hawk showed up in S3 to Miyai-do...shuffling characters!

Like, if you zoom out...Kreese is an angry old guy...teaching karate to a dozen students...in a strip-mall.

I am super curious to see who his military buddy he called is going to be...someone from the original movies? I really love how they brought everyone back. They did a great job with Ali, especially when he DIDN'T kiss her after the party & before going to his minivan (lol). Also a good job with the 2nd movie characters in Japan!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Some people really love the characters and stories in the Marvel Universe and were hoping to keep the magic alive. They had several good movies. And on Netflix they had a bunch of shows, though its debatable how good each of them was.
A lot of people today just wanna feel good. the horrific political situation has a lot of Americans scared. and being locked in their homes for months wasnt much fun either.

I dont love Marvel that much. Not like I loved Star Wars when I was still in my single-digit years. But I get why people are obsessed with it. It makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So they latch on and dont want to be disappointed.
Same as Harry Potter. And Lord Of The Rings. And, shockingly, Twilight. Its just their thing and they need it.

Watch "The Last OG" (Tracy Morgan and Tiffany Haddish) on Netflix right now.

That's my current solution to peoples' problems, if they are the type to think that absorbing streaming content will fix their national angst.

Seriously.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I like that Cobra Kai s3 still...knows what it is and makes fun of itself (e.g.: episode 4 or 5, I think, at the town council meeting to defend the Karate Tournament, Daniel introduces himself as the 2 time champion, having known "what it's like to be bullied," and you get the off-camera neckbeard yelling: "Bullshit! I heard you were the real Bully!")

lol. Just like that. for about 2 seconds of screen time, and you know it's on. The show gets what it is and dares not stray beyond that. It even addresses the fact, raised earlier in this thread before this season was public: "what's up with this town, suddenly in-thrall from rival high-school aged karate gangs, whose grievances are tied purely to their absent parents' life-long self-hate and human emotional voids?"

the return of Elisabeth Shue, if briefly, is ridiculous rival in Okinawa and that whole episode I mean...it was coying but also, you know, kinda hilarious and you enjoyed being treated like a bitch, watching that schmutz for one episode? it was nice. TV should still be fun for what it does. That's the point.

Cobra Kai succeeds at making all of that work, to it's distinct advantage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Watch "The Last OG" (Tracy Morgan and Tiffany Haddish) on Netflix right now.

That's my current solution to peoples' problems, if they are the type to think that absorbing streaming content will fix their national angst.

Seriously.
I dont think too many people believe absorbing streaming content will fix their problems. They're trying to escape their problems, for hours at a time.
Just like when people flocked to theaters in the Great Depression. They weren't looking for a solution, they looked for an escape. It worked.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I dont think too many people believe absorbing streaming content will fix their problems. They're trying to escape their problems, for hours at a time.
Just like when people flocked to theaters in the Great Depression. They weren't looking for a solution, they looked for an escape. It worked.
Yup.++++++

In NC, we haven't been able to eat in a restaurant for most of the year, all the movie theaters are closed, malls and shops closed (or have major restrictions), no in person school courses, and a 10 PM curfew for anyone not traveling to or from work. My wife who is a nurse has worked insane 12-14 hour daily shifts since Covid first began ramping up sending people to the hospital, and extra shifts to cover nurses who get sick and can't work for 10-14 days in self isolation after being diagnosed with Covid. And the few places I've gone to you always have some assholes walking around without masks because they want to be an asshole to everyone else.

People need an outlet to relax after the major suck of this year, and if a few good movies and shows can help people relax for a few hours, awesome.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched first two episodes of Wanda Vision. Won't give it a rating, not fair to rate a series with an overarching story after only two episodes.

This is the first real TV show of the MCU. (The super campy Agent Carter doesn't count) It's fairly obvious that they're setting up some plot for Scarlet Witch, I'm willing to give them time to see where it goes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Watched first two episodes of Wanda Vision. Won't give it a rating, not fair to rate a series with an overarching story after only two episodes.

This is the first real TV show of the MCU. (The super campy Agent Carter doesn't count) It's fairly obvious that they're setting up some plot for Scarlet Witch, I'm willing to give them time to see where it goes.
They're gonna have to work extra hard to overcome the success of Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Also I consider Agents of S.H.I.EL.D to be part of the MCU. It had many of the same characters and the major events of the movies were reflected during the series run. In fact I was surprised none of those people ever popped up in one of the movies.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Coco: 9/10

Soul: 7/10

Haven't watched either of these before, and watched them both recently. I loved Coco, it's one of the better Pixar movies and had a fantastic style and story. Not sure why it took me so long to finally watch it, but I'm glad I did.

Soul in comparison just didn't hold my interest as much. It wasn't bad by any means, it just isn't going to be one of those Pixar movies that I can watch over and over again like a lot of them are. It was funny enough, and the idea was fine, it just wasn't AS funny as other Pixar movies. Still worth a watch

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Also, you can put me in the camp that doesn't get WandaVision. It's just too weird and I don't care for the really dated sitcom style at all. Maybe it's because I didn't watch a lot of those shows to get the references... it just didn't do it for me

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Well... did you tear up when when Miguel played for Coco?

I saw the plot twist coming a mile away yet that masterfull ending still impressed me.

*SNIIIIF*

Best Pixar movie.
Not gonna lie. I don't cry. I don't have anything against crying, it's just not the kind of person I am. That movie got me to tear up a little.

Reactions: CZroe

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Last OG - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5363912/

i watched 3 episodes of this and that's where to count stops.
It's the story of a guy who goes to prison for 15 years, which destroys his life. Once released, he's gonna need to build back his life.
it's supposed to be a comedy; joke include such gems as:
1. he gets a mobile phone and has to explain to everyone how cool it is
2. he's confused by starbucks orders
3. he's having a bad day and then a car splashes him with dirty water

oh, SO MUCH FUN.
But in reality, it's not even a comedy. It's a "life is tough" drama that tries to masquerade itself as a comedy, and not only it's not funny, but the drama is all due to the unrelatable fact that the protagonist is a complete idiot that fails at everything.

5/10 - only if there's really, really nothing else on.

Status
Not open for further replies.