NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 821 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What We Do In The Shadows - movie, Amazon Prime for $3. Really good New Zealand mockumentary on the lives of four vampire roommates in Wellington, New Zealand. It's hilarious. Was laughing or chuckling out loud quite a bit. Was recommended that plus the Hulu spin off show of the same name, so I'll be trying that on for size as well. Both the movie and Hulu series have excellent reviews.

Honestly one of my favorite new comedies in a decade+. LOVED the movie and the TV expands on that. Nandor is one of the funniest characters in a long time and don't even get me started on Colin Robinson.

11/10 rating. I've watched it several times

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Today I'm watching Long Way Up, a documentary (more like a badly planned infomercial turned disaster comedy) on Apple+ of two guys driving from the tip of South America to the US using prototype electric vehicles.

Unfortunately, it seems that nobody on their production team bothered to learn how electric vehicles worked before leaving, so they left in the middle of South American winter and spent most of their time in the first three episodes running out of electricity WAY ahead of schedule and getting charged by a rescue truck with a big diesel generator.

ExxonMobil should show clips of this show during their next annual meeting. It would probably make their stock go up 20% overnight.

The show looks pretty, anyway. I'll give it a 4 out 10. I'm hoping that Elon Musk watches this insanity and feels inspired to do this trip in a Cybertruck correctly and with proper planning next year.

Eh... they bet better about the charging and "how electric vehicles work" The only part where they were really dumb about it was that the cold would sap the battery more quickly than pleasant weather. They found their charging rhythm by the 3rd episode and are doing fine now (more or less). I think they planned this out as well as they could too - they are driving prototype motorcycles AND trucks by Rivian through some of the.most.desolate.and.remote.places.on.earth. And are doing pretty well with it. There's been some technical issues with the trucks - which really, for not existing a month prior to being shipped to the southern tip of South America is pretty impressive. If they can make the trip with little fuel used, I think they have proven that we can get around cities and our neighborhoods with EVs

The scenery is awe inspiringly gorgeous. Just insane the terrain they are seeing and covering. They just went through the city of La Paz, Bolivia and I totally want to go there now. Ewan is such a likable guy and his buddy Charlie is no different.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Honestly one of my favorite new comedies in a decade+. LOVED the movie and the TV expands on that. Nandor is one of the funniest characters in a long time and don't even get me started on Colin Robinson.

11/10 rating. I've watched it several times

The movie really was one of the best comedies I've seen in quite a while. I'm onto season 2 of the Hulu series and the laughs don't come as fast and as furious as the movie, there are far more lulls, but it's still fun enough to watch and there are some real gem episodes like the one where they take the Baron out for a night on the town, that was hysterical. I just read an article on Google News that Season 3 is in the works.

Reactions: Homerboy

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Here is a serious, realistic, grounded movie about Jiu Jitsu

Well it was until the consumption of mass quantities of illicit substances and input from the Money-People....

_____

• Haha
Reactions: ksosx86 and DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Cage's been taking any paycheck he can since Leaving Las Vegas (1995 yo); i mean, the guy's got 29 titles between 2016 and 2020. Twenty-nine. In 4 years. Guy's got a pet elephant with a cocaine addiction. A pet crocodile that only eats wagyu. I don't know, maybe he loves the smell of burning ferraris, or *some* other defect that causes him to bleed money.

Nov 29, 2006
Eh... they bet better about the charging and "how electric vehicles work" The only part where they were really dumb about it was that the cold would sap the battery more quickly than pleasant weather. They found their charging rhythm by the 3rd episode and are doing fine now (more or less). I think they planned this out as well as they could too - they are driving prototype motorcycles AND trucks by Rivian through some of the.most.desolate.and.remote.places.on.earth. And are doing pretty well with it. There's been some technical issues with the trucks - which really, for not existing a month prior to being shipped to the southern tip of South America is pretty impressive. If they can make the trip with little fuel used, I think they have proven that we can get around cities and our neighborhoods with EVs

The scenery is awe inspiringly gorgeous. Just insane the terrain they are seeing and covering. They just went through the city of La Paz, Bolivia and I totally want to go there now. Ewan is such a likable guy and his buddy Charlie is no different.
Have you seen the 2 previous series? Great stuff

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Once upon a time in... Hollywood (2019)

I like most QT movies, but this one took a Psycho-esque plot U-turn and basically didn't close off any plot lines that I can think of. What was the point in this film? I have no idea.

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
  • Ratched 8.5/10 - Netflix (TV)
  • Emily in Paris 7.5/10 - Netflix (TV)
  • Evil 8/10 - CBS (TV)
  • The Outpost 7/10 - Millennium Media (Movie) very underrated film, a lot of up and coming young actors
  • Ladder 49 7/10 - Touchstone Pictures (Movie) Saw this recently; missed it when it released. Good picture with Travolta and Joaquin Phoenix from 2004, good acting.
  • Defending Jacob 8/10 - AppleTV (TV Series) Show starring Chris Evans based on the best selling novel from 2012.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The Boys on Prime Video 6/10. The heroes being the anti-heroes bit is interesting along with the consequences of unbridled power.
Some good writing in there. Still, I really can't make much sense of the various story arcs, too many of which seem absurdly improbable.
And the attempts at shocking the viewer over and over got old pretty fast.

Edit: wrong streaming service.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksosx86

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Boyz on Netflix 6/10. The heroes being the anti-heroes bit is interesting along with the consequences of unbridled power.
Some good writing in there. Still, I really can't make much sense of the various story arcs, too many of which seem absurdly improbable.
And the attempts at shocking the viewer over and over got old pretty fast.
It's "The boys" on Prime.

Reactions: Ajay

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
my opinion of The Boys is .. meh. I know it's supposed to be dark and shocking but i find it neither dark nor shocking. i *much* preferred Ozymandias' treason in Watchmen because it was subtle. And i'm not fazed by the "everyone's a bad person" plot.
So, i really watch it for the tits.
And i just cannot stand superhero films where superpowers are really super. Have you noticed that in every superhero film, everyone's superpower is to be bulletproof, and also so strong, that the only way a superhero can be beaten is by being punched by another superhero. It totally plays into the juvenile aggression that you'd have as a teenager and it makes you "badass", but nobody scripts a superhero that can throw lightning, BUT cannot survive being shot. Or, any superhero that can fly, can also fall from the sky and not get hurt, or smash through a building. Like, what are your bones made of, bro? It really sucks when in a film about superheroes fighting, the worst thing is the superheroes' fight scenes.

Reactions: zinfamous

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
i tried watching again Pitch Black -

.. couldn't get through. But that's not a bad thing, i just felt i already knew the story too well.
What did impress me however is how evident it was that the film was made on a shoestring budget once you have seen the film several times, but when you watch it the first time it's the opposite. great characters though, not just Riddick, but everyone. Great idea too (although i figure this time that the eclipse scenario, while possible, would mean that sunset is reeeeeally long), and an all-round really well made little film.

Also, i like that here Riddick isn't as superhuman as he is in the later parts of the franchise (which includes comics, videogames, novels, tv shows..).

7.5/10 but add half a point for Riddick's character.

Highly underrated movie. Its not some dumb horror movie, the characters actually have some brains but still act human as well. Great character development for Riddick and crew.

I think this is Vin Diesel's best role, its just fits his style so well.

Reactions: mikeymikec

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
can someone smart explain Easy Rider to me?

so, there's these two guys driving around. They meet a bunch of people, casually, and then move along. Then a truck comes and they get randomly killed.

Pardon me for being perplexed at what was once considered one of the most important films ever made.

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7 8/10 - Netflix (Movie)
  • The Spy 9/10 - Netflix (TV)
  • 7500 6.5/10 - Prime (Movie)

Last edited:

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Holmes & Watson - 3/10

Ugh.... giving this a 3 is being generous but Im in a generous mood today. Me and the GF were watching it the other night and literally turned at each other around halfway through and agreed that the movie is really really dumb and not that good. I'm surprised we finished it. I knew going in it had bad reviews and tempered my expectations but even then I find this movie beyond the realms of unfunny stupidity at times. To think they went from making the Awesome "Stepbrothers" to this? yuck. I can't totally trash it though cause there were 2-3 parts I legit did find funny and laugh but it's worth slogging through the garbage.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
can someone smart explain Easy Rider to me?

so, there's these two guys driving around. They meet a bunch of people, casually, and then move along. Then a truck comes and they get randomly killed.

Pardon me for being perplexed at what was once considered one of the most important films ever made.

were you tripping while watching it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Haunting Of Bly Manor 5/10

A lot slower than the previous 'The Haunting Of Hill House'. A few of the episodes were almost painfully slow, and there is very little haunting in this season. A more accurate name would have been 'The Mystery/Love Story Of Bly Manor'.

The casting was really great though, and many of the characters were very likeable, but a LOT of British dialogue (traditional and proper speaking style), along with not a whole lot going on for a majority of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.