NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 812 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Watched The Gentlemen last night. It was nice seeing a real Guy Ritchie movie again. Not sure if i put it up there with Snatch and Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels. but It certainly was entertaining.
I saw this one in the theater. It's the only Guy Ritchie film I've seen, but I really enjoyed it.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I might watch it in an hour or 2.I just know i have seen this boring london gangter crap many times before.*yawn*

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Watched The Gentlemen last night. It was nice seeing a real Guy Ritchie movie again. Not sure if i put it up there with Snatch and Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels. but It certainly was entertaining.

nvm

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I saw this one in the theater. It's the only Guy Ritchie film I've seen, but I really enjoyed it.

You REALLY need to find Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, & then Snatch.
Also his version of Sherlock Holmes is entertaining but not especially intellectual.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Umbrella Academy (Season 2): 6.5/10

What utter garbage.

I didn't mind season two, but to be fair, I think that's partly because I find some of the characters entertaining. Although, unfortunately, the best ones are likely Five, Diego and Luther where characters like Allison and Vanya are just... kinda boring. (Maybe it's because I spent a while watching USA TV shows where it was all about quirky characters on shows like Monk, Psych, or Burn Notice.)

Frankly, it was the time travel in the season that had me scratching my head. Also, I think this is not a good thing, because it means the plot line of the show wasn't interesting enough to get me to ignore the temporal issues. Essentially, the problem is that the way the Avengers did it made more sense with the proposed idea that you cannot change your own timeline. It all goes back to the idea of matter never being created or destroyed, and if you went to an alternate timeline where your version from that timeline never went back to the past, then you exist in two places at once.

Going back to the plot line, it seemed a bit too rehashed from the first season... just in the 50's where they could also interject plenty of social commentary along the way. Things just slow down way too much when you go to the farm or the hair salon, and going back to what I said about Sucker Punch, scenes at those places just don't really do anything to further the plot or cause character growth. I also didn't really get Diego's obsession with saving Kennedy, and how no one really cared that it would greatly affect the timeline.

I saw that Fringe was available too. I watched it when it was on, and liked it, but I got started somewhere in Season 2. I was very surprised by the first few episodes of Season 1; I probably would have stopped watching too if I started there. The point is, it gets much, much better, but I'm not sure if there's a good point to skip to or not.

I enjoyed Fringe quite a bit, but awkwardly, I tended to enjoy the episodic parts a lot more than when they tried to push the other universe narrative. I just find it interesting what sort of weird situations they come up with. I felt the same about Supernatural as the weird monster-of-the-week could be interesting. Although, I did enjoy the other universe part from a sense of seeing someone's idea of an alternate version of Earth. (I've always found it interesting to see someone's idea of the future or an alternate world, etc.)

I started watching Project Power on Netflix got about 30 minutes in and couldn't take the mediocrity anymore.

I did actually watch the whole thing, and I can tell you that you're better off having stopped. The script was just bad. It seemed like it was written by someone that understood the basic concepts of what a movie like this is comprised of (story-wise), but doesn't understand how to execute it correctly. For example, you have the unlikely duo of Jamie Fox's character and the teenage girl, and as is typical in movies, they go from being at odds with each other to trying to help each other. This transition was just never established properly.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Season 1 of the Umbrella Academy. 6/10 - I liked some of the characters like Number 5 and Hazel and Cha Cha but others didn't really make an impact. I finished the whole season but did not jump into Season 2 yet which I would have if this was a 7/10 or higher. Which was weird there were some cool elements to the story, but it didn't mesh as good as it could have. I thought Season 1 of Altered Carbon was better if you want sci-fi on Netflix.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK so while The Gentlemen is technically superior to all other Guy Ritchie films I didnt find it particularly enthralling. Maybe I've been conditioned to this kind of cinema or I'm just not easily impressed as I age.

7/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I HAVE WATCHED MUCH SHIT
but after countless hours of drunked searching for a purpose in life, i have yet again found myself watching Doctor Who 2005, the Christopher Ecclestone / David Tennant era, and if you have not seen this, you are missing out on some of the greatest television ever. I'm talking, fuck game of trones, this is 10/10 shit - tears of laughter, tears of joy, tears of sadness, excitement, emotion, courage, every positive emotion you could ever expect from a screen will be given to you by this 10 out of fucking 10 show. I have seen many epic things come out of television but none were as good as Doctor Who 2005.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Jumanji 2. Bad/10

As someone who enjoyed the first two, talk about a dumpster fire. The Rock attempting to play Danny Devito, bad CGI and combined with a two hour run-time made me look for a glass of battery acid to drink.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched Top Gun last night. 9/10

I've never watched Top Gun before. That Tom Cruise was a stud back then. Same with Val.

Reactions: Ichinisan

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Watched Top Gun last night. 9/10

I've never watched Top Gun before. That Tom Cruise was a stud back then. Same with Val.
Weird. Usually people who see it today complain Top Gun is hella stupid.
But in 1986 it was the most awesome thing ever.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finally sat down and watched The Phantom Menace Anti-cheese Edit. They made a terrible movie less terrible but not good.
Its still full of massive plot holes (which Mister Plinkett has already analyzed to death). They did good job removing a bunch of garbage, about 45 minutes worth, but in the process of editing out junk theres lots of hard breaks in the audio. To cover that up it sounds like they redid the music and now it just sounds off.
The aliens now speak alien and the subtitles for them have been improved with slightly better dialog, but they still sound annoying and not everything makes sense. The quick moves from one scene to the next feel just plain off, so despite what lots of fans want to believe the movie could not be improved by simply recutting it.
I think a good director and a great writer need to remake the story from scratch. And since its 21 years old they'd likely need a whole new cast too.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
25 years ago when I first heard about THX-1138 I promised myself I'd watch it.
Finally made good on my promise.

Its good. Not great. Excellent first project by a filmmaker now considered veteran. Doesn't delve nearly as deep into dystopia as I had hoped. But its a fine story regardless.
I gave it 8 / 10 on IMDB.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Weird. Usually people who see it today complain Top Gun is hella stupid.
But in 1986 it was the most awesome thing ever.

When I was a kid my dad wouldn't let me watch it. As an adult I got as far as the 'classified' scene, rolled my eyes and switched it off.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched the 25th year remaster of Who Framed Roger Rabbit - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096438/alternateversions

when this film came out i caught it in the theaters and loved it - after 30 years, not so much.
I am still amazed that this film got made, as you know, the difficulty of mixing live acting with animation, the cost of having both animators and a film crew, and the really dangerous subject; after all, WFRR is a film about Jessica Rabbit, a cartoon that's hotter than a real woman. Because, realistically, *that* is what this film is about. It's as dirty as a X rated film, in the skin of a PG13.
Bob Hoskin was something of a hero to me in the 80s, and i was happy to see him in the lead.
The story is really good; a noir hero, a deadly dame, and .. a rabbit? The unusual twist gives you the excuse to shoehorn in the animations, which, for the 80s, were great - we didn't have any of the edgy cartoons that came later, so the animation of WFRR was actually quite "adult".
The direction .. uh. Nobody's good in this film. Bob is allright, but not great. I'll give it to him that he was mostly acting alongside a greenscreen, but the other actors didn't get the memo as to what type of film this was going to be. And honestly, i don't think the film know what it wants to be. There's a ton of comedy, but then there are parts of it that try to be dark, and, i don't mind that, i like that, i wish this was a proper film noir, but it isn't. Another film comes to mind that is similar, but plays it straight (IIRC), Cast A Deadly Spell (which i recommend), where the toons are replaced with magic instead.
The pacing is awful in places - the final showdown scene is hooooorrible, it's just so slow, that it absolutely kills any sense of urgency. Hoskins doesn't react well to what's supposed to be happening in the scene, and his dance routine is .. ugh .. cringey. I suppose that's the happy ending Zemeckis wanted.
The secondary characters absolutely suck. I mean, the acting. Dolores (Hoskin's love interest in the film) is flat and boring, the cops are played by people who thought they were acting in a children's movie, and poor ol' Bob Hoskins does what he can, but he also cannot maintain a tone throughout the film, and i blame Robert Zemeckis.

This is still a film i would strongly recommend to anyone who has not seen it; but then again, i also love Howard The Duck, so maybe my views are a bit outside of the ordinary.

32 years ago i would have rated this film anywhere between 8 and 8.5/10, but today i would give it 7.5/10 if you have already seen it, or 8/10 if you never have. At least one full point of that goes to the film having cultural significance ("i'm not bad, i'm just drawn that way"), as i am sure WFRR has massively influenced the development of adult cartoon entertainment, but, for the film itself, it's ok, but not great.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also watched Mediterraneo - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102426/

a 1991 italian film that could interest you, if you are the sort that goes for "ethnic" film.

WW2: a small group of italian soldiers are sent to a tiny greek island, intent of capturing it in the name of BENITO MVSSOLINI. As they land on the island, they find that it has been deserted. As the time goes by, they find that life on the island puts the war into a different perspective.

Worth watching for a couple nice scenes, Vana Barba's epic totally nude tits, the locations (the island of Kastellorizo), and obviously, the hipster credit that comes with watching foreign film.

7/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When I was a kid my dad wouldn't let me watch it. As an adult I got as far as the 'classified' scene, rolled my eyes and switched it off.
thats a shame cuz you missed out on a great combat sequence later on.

The movie is not intellectual. But they never billed it as such. It was portrayed as a fun fast action flick and thats exactly what you got. Interspersed of course with some dialog scenes. Wall to wall action was not yet a thing in mainstream Hollywood.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Somebody is remaking Memento.
Because of course thats a film just screaming for a remake.
there was a 5season tv run that ended last month of a girl with no memory and her tattoos to figure out her past.

it was called Blindspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.