NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 808 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2006
Hart of Dixie - 7/10 Pretty family oriented show about a doc moving to the south to find out about her family and meets a whacky cast of characters living in the small town. Entertaining, goofy, and each show pretty much has a lesson. I think there's 4 seasons and we're half way through the 3rd. It's one of those shows that my wife watches, and it's background noise for me while playing on my laptop but I still can pay attention. The girls on that show are pretty hot too.

This is a guilty pleasure of mine. Love this show. But im in love with Rachael Bilson so that sways my opinion a lot lol

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
No, moran.

Every once in a while some classics get re-released.
Two years ago I saw Titanic in a new Imax release and the year before that was Terminator 2.
Good stuff.

Actually, they allow bring your own Blu-ray disk for private showings.

They'll play just about anything, but you probably want to try and match the screen to your movie's format. For The Rock, we also brought a DCP file on an external drive that was formatted correctly, just in case they couldn't get the Blu-ray to scope correctly, but they got it working after a bit.

Reactions: A Casual Fitz

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The audio was perfect, as far as I could tell.
there's a rather complicated audio-engineering issue there;
audio does not behave in a linear fashion when changing "loudness". over a spectrum of frequencies, when you change X energy to 2X energy, some parts of the spectrum will have deformed.
Also, our ears do not respond the same way to every frequency. Thus, mixing sounds for loud playback situation, and mixing the same for soft - such as TV playback - require specific changes.

I have noticed that in several DVD releases i had watched, the audio is still the cinema audio, and it sounds bad. For example, the bass is really overpowering and deep. The voice sounds hidden by the other sounds. The whole spectrum sounds dull and muffled.
This is because high frequencies sound too shrill when the volume is too loud, so on a cinema mix, you cut these. Midrange - where human voice is located - is much easier to hear (we have developed so that it's easy for us to hear other humans speak to us), so in the cinema mix you don't need as much. Low notes at a higher volume level need much more energy to stay consistent, so you need to pump those; once you play these in a home system, they sound like shit, because the values are proportionate when played at cinema volume, not at home volume.
The quality of the speakers has nothing to do with this(but it can make things worse).

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I watched Cherry 2000 for the first time in decades. It was much worse than I remember.
Circuitry Man was also not as good as I remember, but it wasnt bad either. It actually deals with some higher notions about humanity and society.
Radio Flyer was shit. If you're gonna make a movie about child abuse, take it seriously.
If you're gonna make a movie about flying wagons, for fucks sake dont put child abuse in it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Watching Predator. God damn they don't make movies like this anymore. :(

My rating: 10/10,000,000,000

05178a3cf1b8eb953451382529d3a77ac9ded3.jpg

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Ocean's 8 (2018)

A heist movie pretty much by definition requires at least one twist where everything goes sideways (seemingly irrevocably so) because of an unexpected development.

The 'unexpected developments' in this film were more like minor inconveniences and each were resolved in a couple of minutes of their entrance, like planning a trip to the shops and one of the shops is closed for lunch so you come back to it last.

My biggest two issues with this film were:

Anne Hathaway's character coming on board with the heist at exactly the moment that she could be working for the/an enemy of the robbers. Instead she's saying, "I wanna help you guys!", they're saying, "the more the merrier!", and apart from them briefly dwelling on the possibility that she might not be genuine, they think nothing more of it. She ought to be watched like a hawk at the very least, but apparently, nothing. Completely trusted to help out and quickly let in on the robbers' biggest secrets.

The insurance investigator being turned in no time at all. Imagine the remake of the Thomas Crown Affair but Rene Russo's character decides to change sides within 10 minutes of her entrance.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The Nice Guys (2016, Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe)

I really enjoyed this film. Irreverent humour, America not shown as saintly/wonderful, the protagonists are significantly flawed, and a nicely engaging plot. I loved how Gosling's character was equal parts piece-of-shit, shockingly stupid and occasionally surprisingly insightful, he pulled it off well.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Notebook (Ryan Gosling, James Garner, Gena Rowland - 2004) 8/10

It's a stretch, but worth it. 2:04. Romantic! Draws you in. Now, IMO they blew it hiring Ryan Gosling to play the protagonist male. He can't emote. Rowland was exquisite in the female protagonist role. The story is the thing. Of course, I guessed the ending... not something I'm prone to think about or worry about but this time I knew where the arrow was flying. I'm curious about the extras and will put a hold on it at the library... it was due that evening and I walked it back to the library when I was done.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Greyhound 8.5/10. Like most people, fan of Tom Hanks. Going right into action very fast, and stays there almost the entire time. I like that era, so the history and realism is interesting to me. Very little back story starting out, which is a downer for me. Did give some more later one.

I watched it primarily for the graphics and sound to be honest, but was very pleased with the movie. Just got a 77" LG OLED and wanted something to showcase it, 4K in this movie was very good, even with CGI. Sound was superb too. I didnt have the delay in sound like some people experienced, I suppose they fixed it.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Nice Guys (2016, Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe)

I really enjoyed this film. Irreverent humour, America not shown as saintly/wonderful, the protagonists are significantly flawed, and a nicely engaging plot. I loved how Gosling's character was equal parts piece-of-shit, shockingly stupid and occasionally surprisingly insightful, he pulled it off well.
This movie was a welcome surprise. Very very good, especially if you like "The Big Lebowski."

Status
Not open for further replies.