NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Baraka 8/10 - I had very high expectations as I was promised a visual orgy of cinematography so while it was good, it didn't compare to Planet Earth/Life, etc. Then again, I don't have a 1080p TV and I didn't watch it in BluRay. Samsara I'll get in BluRay when available (when I buy a new TV)

John Carter 9.5/10 - A bit late on this one but I absolutely loved the movie. I didn't go expecting academy award winning acting, I went because it's a mix of sci-fi/fantasy (which delivers exactly what it promises!) and we need a whole lot more of those movies. I think that with a better trailer, the movie could have made the 100s of millions they predicted- it was NOTHING like I expected from those poorly produced trailers.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

600full-thomas-and-the-magic-railroad-photo.jpg

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Thor 6/10: I'm really confused on this movie. To me it seemed like they left out a bunch of the story that explains what the hell is going on. Other than that, there were some funny moments.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
She (1982)

So I watched this film on netflix today. It's to bad than MST3K is no longer around, because they would have had a field day with this one. If your into that sort of thing then this movie is ****ing awesome.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm going to do everything in my power to see Cabin in the Woods and The Raid this weekend. Screw you auditors, I'm going to the movies!

KT

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The Last Kiss. 8/10

I saw it years ago shortly after it came out but I was reading Wikipedia earlier today and stumbled upon the page for it and decided to watch it again. Great acting and a good story even though I don't typically watch these "types" of movies.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
DOA - outstanding
Silly over the top action, tight clothes, and many guest appearances by Holly Valance's entrancing legs. This is no Uwe Boll mess. Great choreography, color, and perspective; no crisp frames*; perfect pacing; and good humor where it counts. The mixing in of video game imagery and use of distinct backdrops per fight was also a nice touch. While usually not a good thing, in the context of a video game adaptation, it's a major plus that trying to give most of the characters and plot any real depth, or worse, serious demeanors, was avoided.

Of course, on any comparative scale with actual dramatic movies, with quality stories, this thing isn't even worth rating.

Now, where is my Guilty Gear film, already?!

The Spirit - 4/10
Sin City, but with slapstick, and even more overbearing sexism. But, the really irritating part is how literal of a translation it is. Everyone talks what they are thinking, instead of dubbing that in over motionless lips; too many scenes are almost drawn panels; and the near-B&W high-contrast thing goes too far in some scenes, to the point that figuring out what you are looking at can take seconds. This, however, has been the first movie where I've actually liked Scarlett Johansson's performance. Maybe she should try playing crazies more often...

The Last Kiss. 8/10

I saw it years ago shortly after it came out but I was reading Wikipedia earlier today and stumbled upon the page for it and decided to watch it again. Great acting and a good story even though I don't typically watch these "types" of movies.
Doesn't look like my kind of movie either, but I like other stuff done by Paul Haggis, and Tony Goldwyn. I might need to check it out.

* one of my pet peeves is lack of motion blur in Hollywood action movies, these days

Last edited:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
In Time - 7/10

Interesting concept. The story needed work. Time = money just doesn't work as an analogy.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I'm going to do everything in my power to see Cabin in the Woods and The Raid this weekend. Screw you auditors, I'm going to the movies!

KT

The Raid: RedemptionT - 9.5/10

Nice Indonesian martial arts movie. Fighting scenes were quick, brutal and intense. Lost body count on both sides. A little story in between fights but little on the overall plot. The final fighting scene between Rama and Mad Dog was one of the best I've seen so far. Can't wait for the sequels.

Heard that there is going to be a American "remake" of this movie. o_O

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Cabin In The Woods - 8/10: I was really into this right from the awesome opening titles splash. I loved how the film took the horror genre, turned it on its head and also threw in a bit of sci-fi for good measure. I said to a friend of mine it felt like Hatchet (or really any other "cabin in the woods" horror film) blended with Cube. The "adult" cast was awesome, particularly Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford, who really made the movie and were so much fun I kind of wanted more of them. I did find the teenagers a bit flat, but maybe that was the point. Unfortunately I found the stoner character kind of annoying and unfunny; I was surprised at how unfunny he was considering some of the great dialogue from the other characters. It felt like he was supposed to be the hilarious stoner, but he really wasn't and it kind of bothered me. That's my only real problem with the film, aside form a few minor things throughout. Cabin In The Woods did have one of my favourite movie sequences in years and one I'd like to watch again right now (
the entire elevator sequence including the descent down, then the release
; so freaking awesome). Lot's of fun.

Just as a note this was only playing in the fancy Ultra AVX theatre and my local world of cinema, so it cost me an extra three dollars to see this. For that cost I got a comfortable leather seat which reclined a bit and apparently the screen was bigger, with a better picture and better sound. I can;t really comment on the latter two things as it did not really look or sound different than The Raid which I saw in a regular theatre at the same place a few hours later, but the seat was indeed nice. Not sure it was worth the extra three dollars though. Oh you also get assigned seating, which probably works well on a busy evening, but when you are seeing a movie at Noon on a Saturday, with only about seven other people in the theatre, it's kind of stupid and only served to make me feel guilty for not sitting in my assigned seat (too hard to choose my seat on a screen, I need to see the theatre and where others are sitting). Given the choice I would just go to the cheaper screen going forward, unfortunately I don't think I will get the choice all that often.

The Raid - 7/10: Maybe it was overhyped in my mind, or maybe I just don't love completely earnest, pure action films as much as others. Honestly the biggest thing that bothered me about the movie was the opening 30 minutes which I found boring. The very opening sequence showed the main guy doing some badass martial arts training on a dummy and I was excited for more, unfortunately what followed for the next while was a bunch of guys with guns shooting each other, which was very boring. It was not until the group splits up that things finally get going and I loved all of the fighting from then on, despite the camera work which was, at time, a bit distracting and annoying. The story was pretty predictable, but nobody is watching this for the story; if you like martial arts movies, then it's worth a go, just be aware you'll have to wait a bit before seeing any.

Super - 8.5/10: James Gunn's entry into the real person becoming a superhero genre and it's one of the best. Rainn Wilson is great as the down on his luck loser attempting to get his wife back, but the true revelations here is Ellen Page; she is absolutely amazing in this! She's psychotic and hilarious and the only thing lacking was more of her in this movie. She was so perfect. The rest of the cast was also great with Kevin Bacon, Michael Rooker, Gregg Henry, and others. I was surprised at how violent the movie was, but it worked well with the darkness of the story and the characters. I liked this a lot and it's one I will definitely be re-watching at some point.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I agree about the two older guys whose names I don't know off the top of my head. That whole element was really fun and funny, straight from the opening scene. It really set the mood of what was coming.

I don't completely agree about the stoner though. I think some of his lines got corny at times but I think he had his share of funny ones too. Maybe they were lame, idk, but I think I laughed at a few :)

Super has been on my list for a while but I've heard mixed things, glad to hear that it's good

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Key & Peele - 9/10
This is an excellent series on Comedy Central. Two of my favorite guys from MADtv now have their own show. They do a great mashup of slapstick, jokes, situations, and bantering. Well worth watching. I think they're at a mid-season break now but you can watch the show on HULU or ComedyCentral.com .

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
A Separation - 9/10: I liked this quite a bit more than you slayer. The first 15 minutes or so is a slog and I thought it was going to be two hours of that, which I was not looking forward to, but thankfully something happens after a little bit and the story goes in a direction I was very much invested in. Seeing the two families being ripped apart by this one incident really worked for me; though you are mainly seeing it from the one man's point of view, you do get to see both sides of the story as it unravels, almost like a procedural film. All the while there is the struggle of the kid dealing with her parent's separation and her attempt to keep them together, with the senile Father being at the centre of it all, which adds yet another layer of emotional involvement. I'm not sure I actually felt the message they were trying to convey because I was 100% sympathetic with the main Father in the film and at no time did that waiver. I get the impression I was supposed to feel more for the wife, but I never did. After that first 15 minutes I was completely wrapped up in this and the remaining 1:45 flew by. Very good drama.

The Separation - 9/10 I totally agree with your review. It was pretty awesome drama.. and even though I saw this in a class room with a crappy projector/sound.. I was totally into the movie. My favorite character were the protagonist's(If you can call him one) daughter and that pregnant woman they hired. They had a lot of character going on in the movie.. even though they dd not have much screen time. Both the parents were selfish pricks.. who could not compromise at all, but they all these characters were portrayed/acted was top notch.

The girl who played the role of a kid going through their parents divorce gets all the credits she deserves. It was very hard role to deal with and both she and the director did a pretty amazing job of making it stick.
I got pretty pissed off when her dad and mom started emotionally blackmailing her into trusting each other. Although, I am pretty sure I would have done the same if I was in his place. :p

Unlike Keith.. I sympathized more with the pregnant lady than the protagonist. Her role was beautifully crafted.. without stereotyping a woman from a poor and a conservative household. That said, I totally understand why the protagonist had to do what he did.
He knew he did not cause the miscarriage.. and he lied on the bit which will surely get him free.

The ending of the movie was expertly handled, no black and white ending.. and the tension he created during the final minutes was excruciating.
I was very very happy to not know what their daughter said in that court.

If I had to pick flaws in the movie.. I have to say both men could have done a better job.. but that is just me nit picking.

Originally I was going to give this an 8.5.. as I really did not like the role of that unemployed husband, but I spent a lot of time thinking about the movie, and his character especially, after I watched it.. and I understand his role/character better now.. than while watching the movie.

Pretty pleased with the whole experience.. and have to give credit to my lab mate who organized the whole event. Yeah, there were a lot of Persians in the room, they have very very beautiful women.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
The Cabin In The Woods - 8/10: I was really into this right from the awesome opening titles splash. I loved how the film took the horror genre, turned it on its head and also threw in a bit of sci-fi for good measure. I said to a friend of mine it felt like Hatchet (or really any other "cabin in the woods" horror film) blended with Cube. The "adult" cast was awesome, particularly Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford, who really made the movie and were so much fun I kind of wanted more of them. I did find the teenagers a bit flat, but maybe that was the point. Unfortunately I found the stoner character kind of annoying and unfunny; I was surprised at how unfunny he was considering some of the great dialogue from the other characters. It felt like he was supposed to be the hilarious stoner, but he really wasn't and it kind of bothered me. That's my only real problem with the film, aside form a few minor things throughout. Cabin In The Woods did have one of my favourite movie sequences in years and one I'd like to watch again right now (
the entire elevator sequence including the descent down, then the release
; so freaking awesome). Lot's of fun.

I saw this yesterday, and was extremely impressed.
I'd give it a 9/10 purely because i basically NEVER like horror, and this was such a refreshing take on things!
Whedon delivered everything and more than i could have expected, and managed to throw in quite a bit of humor as well.

As a Whedon fan, it was awesome to see so the actors from his previous projects.

Fran Kranz from Dollhouse.
Amy Acker :wub: from Angel and Dollhouse.
Tom Lenk from Buffy.

Definitely i have a biased view having enjoyed Whedon's past work, and Drew Goddard's as well (worked on some Buffy/Angel/etc).

But yeah, go see it :D

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I agree about the two older guys whose names I don't know off the top of my head. That whole element was really fun and funny, straight from the opening scene. It really set the mood of what was coming.

I don't completely agree about the stoner though. I think some of his lines got corny at times but I think he had his share of funny ones too. Maybe they were lame, idk, but I think I laughed at a few :)

Super has been on my list for a while but I've heard mixed things, glad to hear that it's good

I don't know, I just found the stoner just to be playing Shaggy and he was kind of annoying. Could just be me though.

Super is not for everyone, but I like the darkness of it and honestly I would watch this again just for Ellen Page. She was that awesome.

Key & Peele - 9/10
This is an excellent series on Comedy Central. Two of my favorite guys from MADtv now have their own show. They do a great mashup of slapstick, jokes, situations, and bantering. Well worth watching. I think they're at a mid-season break now but you can watch the show on HULU or ComedyCentral.com .

I tried to watch this because I have heard nothing but good things, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a little too straight for me; I like more absurdity in my comedy. For example I watched the preview for Comedy Bang Bang on IFC and I freaking loved that and a big reason is because it's insane. I can't imagine the show actually doing well because it's so absurd.

The Separation - 9/10 I totally agree with your review. It was pretty awesome drama.. and even though I saw this in a class room with a crappy projector/sound.. I was totally into the movie. My favorite character were the protagonist's(If you can call him one) daughter and that pregnant woman they hired. They had a lot of character going on in the movie.. even though they dd not have much screen time. Both the parents were selfish pricks.. who could not compromise at all, but they all these characters were portrayed/acted was top notch.

The girl who played the role of a kid going through their parents divorce gets all the credits she deserves. It was very hard role to deal with and both she and the director did a pretty amazing job of making it stick.
I got pretty pissed off when her dad and mom started emotionally blackmailing her into trusting each other. Although, I am pretty sure I would have done the same if I was in his place. :p

Unlike Keith.. I sympathized more with the pregnant lady than the protagonist. Her role was beautifully crafted.. without stereotyping a woman from a poor and a conservative household. That said, I totally understand why the protagonist had to do what he did.
He knew he did not cause the miscarriage.. and he lied on the bit which will surely get him free.

The ending of the movie was expertly handled, no black and white ending.. and the tension he created during the final minutes was excruciating.
I was very very happy to not know what their daughter said in that court.

If I had to pick flaws in the movie.. I have to say both men could have done a better job.. but that is just me nit picking.

Originally I was going to give this an 8.5.. as I really did not like the role of that unemployed husband, but I spent a lot of time thinking about the movie, and his character especially, after I watched it.. and I understand his role/character better now.. than while watching the movie.

Pretty pleased with the whole experience.. and have to give credit to my lab mate who organized the whole event. Yeah, there were a lot of Persians in the room, they have very very beautiful women.

Cool, glad you liked it so much. I agree on the other husband character, but reflecting on it once the film ended you really get the feeling he is left in the dark, is completely frustrated and is only trying to do what he thinks is best for his family. The drama really worked for me and the whole mystery/procedural element added another layer I was not expecting. Excellent film.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I saw this yesterday, and was extremely impressed.
I'd give it a 9/10 purely because i basically NEVER like horror, and this was such a refreshing take on things!
Whedon delivered everything and more than i could have expected, and managed to throw in quite a bit of humor as well.

As a Whedon fan, it was awesome to see so the actors from his previous projects.

Fran Kranz from Dollhouse.
Amy Acker :wub: from Angel and Dollhouse.
Tom Lenk from Buffy.

Definitely i have a biased view having enjoyed Whedon's past work, and Drew Goddard's as well (worked on some Buffy/Angel/etc).

But yeah, go see it :D

Yeah I don't really have a huge attachment to Whedon, though I really liked the only two things of his I've seen; Firefly and his Alien movie. I may have liked Cabin even more if I had that attachment; regardless, it's still very entertaining, particularly if you are a horror fan.

KT

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Yeah I don't really have a huge attachment to Whedon, though I really liked the only two things of his I've seen; Firefly and his Alien movie. I may have liked Cabin even more if I had that attachment; regardless, it's still very entertaining, particularly if you are a horror fan.

KT
You've never seen toy story?!

And the Alien movie was cut to shit by a stupid/worthless/hack/never-done-a-major-film editor after the first editor refused to screw-up the movie like the producer wanted.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You've never seen toy story?!

And the Alien movie was cut to shit by a stupid/worthless/hack/never-done-a-major-film editor after the first editor refused to screw-up the movie like the producer wanted.

No, I've never seen story. I've only seen Firefly/Serenity and Alien Resurrection from him.

No matter the editing issues, Resurrection is actually my second favourite of the Alien series after the first film Alien. I like it a fair amount; the style of the film is so different form the rest and I like what was done with Ripley character, who was pretty damn stale by that point.

KT

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
After 4 and a half years, shit finally gets real.

voyager.jpg

No more lame ass writing, the fate of the universe now hangs in the balance.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
No, I've never seen story. I've only seen Firefly/Serenity and Alien Resurrection from him.

No mater the editing issues, Resurrection is actually my second favourite of the Alien series after the first film Alien. I like it a fair amount; the style of the film is so different form the rest and I like what was done with Ripley character, who was pretty damn stale by that point.

KT

Man, I though you liked movies....

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Battleship. So cliche'd, so laughable dialogue, plot-holes galore, donno-why-aliens-are-so-dumb, but actually uplifting and fun as hell.

Chinese classic book Art of War > Aliens. hehehe.

Rihanna should actually be in more movies. I don't know why, but I sincerely believe she played her role extremely well.

The retired army officer w/ no legs was bad ass.. then I just read he was an actual army officer who served in the iraq and afghanistan, and lost both of his legs (above the knee). :O.

Aliens from hollywood are just dumb.. period hahaha; but still, it was a very enjoyable movie.

EDIT: Shoot.. i just realized this isn't even out in the US yet.. but it's already been out everywhere else in the world! Today was the last day of showing this movie, so they can make room for The Avengers tomorrow.

Well, anyways, go watch it. :D, and stay after the movie ends.
The "boardgame" portion of the movie was... well..
And the biggest plot hole that bothered me was at the beginning of the film... it takes 20 years for a signal sent by us to reach the planet that it was pointed to; not five, and most likely more time for the ships to arrive. Unless... the ships somehow traveled so fast, that relative to us, that entire span for us was only 5 years. They also have the technology to travel to earth, and generate an impenetrable shield covering all of Hawaii; yet their windows are vulnerable...... haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.