NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 798 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Umbrella Academy: 6/10

This is like the world's longest & slowest burn lol. Moreso than Jessica Jones. It finally got good the last few episodes. I think they should've pumped more backstory in to help make it more interesting & speed things along, especially with all of the births on the same day & whatnot.

Number 5 was my favorite character, that kid stole the show. I also liked Hazel a lot, and Luthor was probably my favorite after that. Absolute unit. I ended up liking Klaus a lot more by the end, especially when Ben was around him. They monkey butler's CGI was outstanding for a TV show.

If this was an episode of Friends, it would have been called The one where Ellen Paige was Sad.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Corner Gas is excellent (9/10) but I'm on my third run thru and need to stop.
Still havent made a dent in Friday Night Lights even though it seemed good after the first episode. It also appears to be 9/10.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Better Off Dead. 1983 Classic John Cusak, Curtis Armstrong, the $2 kid...

8/10. Great teen movie. Funny. I don't know what is better though. Ferris Bueller or BoD? My guess Ferris because it's such a classic, and is still referenced. Better off Dead is largly forgotten which is a shame. It's a good movie.

Reactions: zinfamous

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The Handmaids Tale - Hulu 8.5/10
Dark, sinister, and WTF else can go wron in Offred's life (Joan), but well done.

I'll preface this by saying I watch the edited version haha. But yeah. You know, for a long time I've said that Breaking Bad is the best TV show, quality-wise, ever made. Lost seasons 1 & 2 were the OG GOAT, but Breaking Bad kept it going & had a solid ending...but I think Handmaid's Tale may be the new "best". Also, I would highly recommend watching it with a woman & then discussing it afterwards if you wanna get 'woke' about the male gaze. My takeaways have been:

1. I can't remember if it was Louis CK or someone who said if you're straight, white, and male, you're playing the game of life on "easy mode".

2. I recently heard privilege described as "not what you have to go through, but what you don't have to go through".

3. Women (and minorities) face a constant pressure through "death by a thousand cuts" from small snide remarks & catcalls & constant messaging, whereas most guys are completely oblivious to that stuff, for the most part (parody video about male privilege).

4. On that tangent, there's an article about "unpacking the invisible knapsack by Peggy McIntosh, with the key quote, "I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group" PDF link This applies to feminism as well (not the militant or SJW kind, but in terms of true equality between the genders). The business world, in particular, has a strong invisible system against women. Again, nothing overtly major these days, in most cases, because attitudes & workplace legal rules have improved over time, but it's still there, and if you're a dude, it's mostly invisible because (1) you don't experience it, and (2) most people are never taught it, simply because you don't experience it & also because no one ever really sits you down & explains it.

That's a big reason why I think the Handmaid's Tale is so good, and also why I recommend both watching it with a woman & discussing it after with her, because you can then hear what she's gone through in a similar way to whatever the episode was about, stuff that - for me at least - I wasn't really even aware of or would just brush off. The show basically extrapolates & inflates the micro-aggression that women have to deal with all the time & puts it into a loony dystopian future format that looks crazy, buuuuuut you can also see where it's coming from & how maybe (in the movie world) it could actually happen. It's not like that in reality, of course, but they do cover enough ground to get you thinking about things from a different perspective. For me, it was realizing that we push a big "you're less than us" message to women constantly - usually not on purpose & not maliciously, but if you grow up female in our world, you simply have to deal with this crap like 24/7/365. ASU has a pretty good list:

A HUGE list is here:

I think a big part of doing better is simply getting educated & being willing to accept the fact that this is the reality that women live in. And I think the biggest change it boils down to is not being dismissive, whether it's learning about these issues or accepting them as real or not. It's soooo easy to brush it off as a non-issue, because of our position as males in society. I mean, really read through that second link above & try to imagine how male privileged affects so many parts of a woman's life in these slight ways (re: "death by a thousand cuts" because it's so pervasive).

Anyway, I think the Handmaid's Tale is a really good opportunity to get educated about male privilege. Racism is something I got educated about early on as a kid, about treating everyone fairly, but male privilege was definitely a newer concept for me - not that I went out of my way to be mean to women or anything, but simply that there were default-society things that happen around us that are invisible to men, for the most part.

Also, the show is just well-acted. Offred is a legit actress. The whole story almost feels a little bit like Half-Life 2, but rather than aliens, it's men being domineering. And the writing is so good too, like the part where she confronts the Mexican delegate & calls her out but she's just stuck with her situation & doing her job. Very clever stuff!

Reactions: MtnMan

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Gerald's Game - 7/10

I think I would have liked this better had I not seen Flanagan's Hill House series first. It's very similar in style and the way he portrays imagination. Still a quality watching if you don't know the Stephen King book.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Anyway, I think the Handmaid's Tale is a really good opportunity to get educated about male privilege. Racism is something I got educated about early on as a kid, about treating everyone fairly, but male privilege was definitely a newer concept for me - not that I went out of my way to be mean to women or anything, but simply that there were default-society things that happen around us that are invisible to men, for the most part.
Male privilege AND the danger of religion. In Handmaids Tale religion is christian with many OT views of christianity. A great deal of the 'male privliedge' depicted comes straight out of the Old Testament. These views align far too closely with the current radical Islamic practices across a great deal of the world. All the major religions consider women as inferior to men.

I saw a meme that basically said that if Mike Pence became president, that he would be a great fit to rule Gilead. I suspect his views do not stray far from the story-line.

Also, the show is just well-acted. Offred is a legit actress. The whole story almost feels a little bit like Half-Life 2, but rather than aliens, it's men being domineering. And the writing is so good too, like the part where she confronts the Mexican delegate & calls her out but she's just stuck with her situation & doing her job. Very clever stuff!
It is very well done, well written, and the acting is legit, a welcome change from so much of the junk that has been cranked out recently. And because it is not aliens it is even more engaging. Aliens, creatures, sci-fi stuff while it can be very good, just doesn't have the connection that "this shit is really possible" like this does.

Reactions: Kaido

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Gerald's Game - 7/10

I think I would have liked this better had I not seen Flanagan's Hill House series first. It's very similar in style and the way he portrays imagination. Still a quality watching if you don't know the Stephen King book.

That one scene... ooo man. :eek:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Firefly 9/10

MV5BOTcwNzkwMDItZmM1OC00MmQ2LTgxYjgtOTNiNDgxZDAxMjk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ0MTYzMDA@._V1_.jpg

Fox only aired 11 of the 14 episodes, and out of order.
i knew they were shown out of order but didnt know i missed 3. :eek:

so i saw all 14 in order.
3 new episodes of Firefly.
Merry Xmas to me :)

• Love
Reactions: Ajay and MtnMan

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched Serenity and thought it was bland and boring. And i also watched the first episode of Firefly which is *also* though was bland and boring. There is obviously something i don't get about this Friends-cast-in-space show.

Half In The Bag have a review of The Assistant (21% on RT) and they were exceptionally positive about it:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I watched Serenity and thought it was bland and boring. And i also watched the first episode of Firefly which is *also* though was bland and boring. There is obviously something i don't get about this Friends-cast-in-space show.

Half In The Bag have a review of The Assistant (21% on RT) and they were exceptionally positive about it:
which 1st Episode of Firefly did you watch?

the one that originally aired on fox, which was actually episode #2?
or the double length pilot episode, which is the correct 1st episode?

also, mulan, fast and furious 9, and Black widow all have been canceled?!?!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I heard Firefly was good but passed on it.

Just as well. When I watched it later (in order) it actually made sense and apparently the original TV viewers were very confused by the episodes being mixed up.

It also got me liking Joss Whedon so I went back and looked at Buffy The Vampire Slayer with a fresh perspective.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Love Actually (2003) 7/10

Niece said I should see it.... British writer/director sex/love/comedy pared down from 3.5 to 2.4 hours in the editing room. Still maybe too long in places, but didn't feel real long like many movies do to me.

Complex set of characters and threads that do and don't seem to relate to one another. British accents, of course. Could use a plot outline for a revisit. Who shags who? Stay tuned. Worth a watch.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I heard Firefly was good but passed on it.

Just as well. When I watched it later (in order) it actually made sense and apparently the original TV viewers were very confused by the episodes being mixed up.

It also got me liking Joss Whedon so I went back and looked at Buffy The Vampire Slayer with a fresh perspective.
I guess I watched Firefly in the right order, it wasn't off Fox, who axed it after one season. I bought the DVD set and had at it and it is one of the relatively few TV series I've bought that I've actually watched all the way through to this point. It's really pretty good. Had (maybe still has) a cult following. Serenity is the movie that Joss Whedon made based on the Firefly series. It's quite good, but Firefly is the original. I'd say definitely rewatchable too.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ikiru (生きる, Japanese for "To Live"): 10/10

Movie about a soul-less paper pushing bureaucrat who finds out he has stomach cancer and likely only has months left, and then realizes he has completely wasted his life until then and is determined to make it mean something in the little time he has left.

I think it might be the greastest film I have ever seen and I don't want to say much more about it for fear of spoiling anything for someone who hasn't seen it.

Funny I only came across it because I'm studying Japanese and one of the example sentences in my textbook was:

私が一番感動した映画は「生きる」です。
watashi ga ichiban kandou shita eiga wa ikiru desu.
[The movie I was most touched by is "Ikiru (To Live)".]
It's considered top notch Kurosawa, and that puts it at the pinnacle of cinema right there. A must see for sure.

Ikiru's rating at Rotten Tomatoes in 2011:

Reviews Counted:30
Fresh:30
Rotten:0
Average Rating:8.7/10

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One of my favorite movies. I probably watched it with my friend about 20 times when it came out. If you've ever had an office job, you can relate to pretty much everything in it.
I actually bought Office Space twice, I love it so much I wanted a better edition. Yes, a perfect movie. The opening sequence of Office Space is so so great! Every time I watch it I feel like, OK, now I understand it! Yeah, I've had quite a few office jobs! In fact, I can super relate to the main character because I too did Y2K compliance using an xbase language on one job. Also had my skirmishes with office personnel on that job! That movie so resonates with me.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
unpopular opinion,

back in the days, i watched Lost In Translation - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/
and absolutely hated it.

And i still do.

Interesting fact, this is before SCARJO was hot & sexy and she looked like joust your average highschool blonde chick. I didnt even know it was her.

Bill, good ol Bill Murray, is the world's most disappointing actor (taking N1 from Harrison Ford). How can this man, who has done Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, completely give up on trying; 90% of his roles consist of "hey look, it's Bill Murray!" and then he's sad because he has to carry this big paycheck to the bank.

The story, if there is one, is that Murray's character "Bob" wants to feel young again, but can't bring himself to bonk Charlotte.
Dude, that happens to literally everyone; every single man who has turned 40 has experienced the very same and it's no good reason to make a film about it.

This was 2003, the boom era of the "poignant" film, and "clever" people praised this thinly veiled message about life that is as subtle as a drunk elephant.

5/10 - you'd be paying to tell yourself "i know something will happen. something MUST happen!".

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
unpopular opinion,

back in the days, i watched Lost In Translation - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/
and absolutely hated it.

And i still do.

Interesting fact, this is before SCARJO was hot & sexy and she looked like joust your average highschool blonde chick. I didnt even know it was her.

Bill, good ol Bill Murray, is the world's most disappointing actor (taking N1 from Harrison Ford). How can this man, who has done Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, completely give up on trying; 90% of his roles consist of "hey look, it's Bill Murray!" and then he's sad because he has to carry this big paycheck to the bank.

The story, if there is one, is that Murray's character "Bob" wants to feel young again, but can't bring himself to bonk Charlotte.
Dude, that happens to literally everyone; every single man who has turned 40 has experienced the very same and it's no good reason to make a film about it.

This was 2003, the boom era of the "poignant" film, and "clever" people praised this thinly veiled message about life that is as subtle as a drunk elephant.

5/10 - you'd be paying to tell yourself "i know something will happen. something MUST happen!".

I liked it, and still do, but I respect your opinion.

You should check out Ghost World. It has an even younger Scarlett Johanssen.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
making paella, and sitting myself down to watch Captain Ron - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103924/

this was one of those movies that i wanted to catch back in .. uh, 1992? (probably had something better to do)
Martin Short, Kurt Russel.
Cute little feel-good comedy about The Power Of Friendship.
'Got a pretty little 20yo for eye candy.

6.5/10 - eh, why not.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
unpopular opinion,

and absolutely hated it.

And i still do.

I always thought she was hot, even in The Man Who Wasn't There, an awesome Coens flick that pre-dates LiT....but she is a bit younger so maybe that is creepy, lol. And yes, as mentioned, Ghostworld, also. Great little flick.

But I like Lost in Translation. I liked it a lot. ...Not sure I loved it, but I also don't think it really needed to be "a thing." To me that whole film was just a mood. You either get into it or you don't.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
unpopular opinion,

and absolutely hated it.

And i still do.

Well, I looked for my notes. I saw it in 2005, made no comment. It was highly regarded but IIRC I didn't like it either.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Just binge watched season 2 of Jack Ryan. Finale was a bit improbable, but overall another very good season. Extremely suspenseful. We had to tape our usual Thursday night shows and finish the remaining episodes, because the suspense was killing us. Rate it 8/10. Krazinsky was excellent, as was his partner.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Just binge watched season 2 of Jack Ryan. Finale was a bit improbable, but overall another very good season. Extremely suspenseful. We had to tape our usual Thursday night shows and finish the remaining episodes, because the suspense was killing us. Rate it 8/10. Krazinsky was excellent, as was his partner.
Maybe a good follow-up critique:

Status
Not open for further replies.