NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 797 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 8/10. Still awesome. I wonder what it would be like if it were made today. Probably not very good.

Reactions: Kaido

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
'Looney Tunes' Cartoons (Season 1, 2019): 5/10

Looney Tunes Cartoons poster.jpg

Bugs Bunny and gang are back, this time on 'HBO Max' subscription service.

i've watched the 1st two of the 10 episodes and not enjoying them much.
corny/stupid slapstick.

it's supposed to be similar in style to the original (1940s) Bugs Bunny cartoons that i enjoyed watching as re-runs when i was a kid.
I guess i lost my taste for this. :(

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Total Recall (2012)

I wasn't expecting much. It met expectations. It's a no-brainer action flick but there's nothing particularly impressive or endearing about it. Bill Nighy was annoyingly wasted in this film.

Don't expect the plot to be airtight, it really isn't.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The Witcher on Netflix. 6/10.
The story arch in the series seemed to confusing. What exactly happened when and to whom - maybe if I was into the game lore I would understand.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
'Looney Tunes' Cartoons (Season 1, 2019): 5/10

Looney Tunes Cartoons poster.jpg

Bugs Bunny and gang are back, this time on 'HBO Max' subscription service.

i've watched the 1st two of the 10 episodes and not enjoying them much.
corny/stupid slapstick.

it's supposed to be similar in style to the original (1940s) Bugs Bunny cartoons that i enjoyed watching as re-runs when i was a kid.
I guess i lost my taste for this. :(

They dont play the classics anymore because they are incompatible with modern society. The old ones had some seriously racist, sexist content that most modern parents just dont want their kids seeing.
If you buy the DVD collection they include every single episode, even the nasty anti-japanese ones.
Theres a message at the beginning saying they had to include the offensive episodes because pretending they didnt exist is even worse.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
They dont play the classics anymore because they are incompatible with modern society. The old ones had some seriously racist, sexist content that most modern parents just dont want their kids seeing.
If you buy the DVD collection they include every single episode, even the nasty anti-japanese ones.
Theres a message at the beginning saying they had to include the offensive episodes because pretending they didnt exist is even worse.
the re-runs i saw when i was a kid didnt have anti-japanese themes.
but i did see a couple of black face ones.

this new Looney Tunes series (2019) that was created for HBO Max just didnt cut it for me.

Nov 29, 2006
The story arch in the series seemed to confusing. What exactly happened when and to whom - maybe if I was into the game lore I would understand.

I never made it past the 2nd episode as someone who never played the game. I had no idea what was going on, or who was who.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

this new Looney Tunes series (2019) that was created for HBO Max just didnt cut it for me.

maybe you saw them later than I did, but through the 80s, and even early 90s, they were all over the place.

I recall one Merrie Melodies episode that was basically Bugs Bunny vs a Japanese soldier, with all the stereotypes you would expect.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah, it can be very confusing, even having played the games and being pretty familiar with the story--because the timeline seems strange and you don't know why.

But then, episode 4 or 5 or whatever it is, you suddenly learn that the Geralt scenes are like 10 years earlier than the Ciri scense, and then they don't match up until the last ~2 episodes, iirc. There is some overlap in the first episode, I think--the Fall of Cintra?--but there is no attempt to make anyone aware of the jumping timelines.

When Geralt and Dandelion show up at the court in Cintra, again, but it's 10 or whatever years earlier than what we saw of that court in the first episode, it's really confusing.

Now, all of this stuff in the first season of the series predates the games, at least 2 and 3 (I never finsihed the first game, and don't remember much about it), but you learn those characters and their past histories pretty well.

Geralt is basically a legend in that world during the timelines of the games, and a lot of that has to do with one of his nicknames, The Butcher of Blavekin, which is what that first episode is about. At that point, I thought they were just fiddling wtih the story and timelines for the pruposes of show content, because I knew it didn't make original story sense to have teenage Ciri running around the same time that Geralt was unknown.

Reactions: Ajay

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Been streaming the Flintstones on HBO Max. What a different time. Weird thing is the first couple seasons doesn't have the theme song. Just Fred driving home. Apparently in syndication they tossed the theme song on every episode. So these are the originals.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Each year that went by they pulled one or two shorts from syndication. The last year I remember watching saturday morning cartoons it was pretty much the same 12 episodes, over and over, every weekend.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The game makers own all rights, including the books. The producers had to come to them.
That is simply wrong. Andrzej Sapkowski, the author and originator of the IP, has never given up the rights to CDPR (developer of the games) except for the games. He had no idea how popular the video game series would become, but he should be happy because that has certainly bled back into the rest of the franchise. Sapkowski was a creative consultant on the show.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
That is simply wrong. Andrzej Sapkowski, the author and originator of the IP, has never given up the rights to CDPR (developer of the games) except for the games. He had no idea how popular the video game series would become, but he should be happy because that has certainly bled back into the rest of the franchise. Sapkowski was a creative consultant on the show.
Everyting I read said he signed over the rights to the novels... lock, stock, and barrel, then had regrets after seeing how successful CD Project Red had been with it.

Edit:
c4165b8c747887a643d7580a4bd23b02.jpg

Maybe the part in brackets was incorrect?

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Everyting I read said he signed over the rights to the novels... lock, stock, and barrel, then had regrets after seeing how successful CD Project Red had been with it.

Edit:
c4165b8c747887a643d7580a4bd23b02.jpg

Maybe the part in brackets was incorrect?
Yeah, but this still says "game rights" which is what JujuFish did say were signed over toe CD Projekt.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Free for June in many outlets: Just Mercy. 10/10 Major Production. J Fox and M B Jorden
After graduating from Harvard, Bryan Stevenson heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned or those not afforded proper representation. One of his first cases is that of Walter McMillian, who is sentenced to die in 1987 for the murder of an 18-year-old girl, despite evidence proving his innocence. In the years that follow, Stevenson encounters racism and legal and political maneuverings as he tirelessly fights for McMillian's life.
Release date: December 25, 2019 (USA)
Director: Destin Daniel Cretton
Box office: 50.4 million USD
Nominations: Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role, MORE
Awards: NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Motion Picture,

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I've got 3.

1. The Outsider (tv series, 1 season) 9/10

I've never liked any of the tv productions based on Steven Kings novels. That's mainly because I don't see how he gets away with some the bizarre premises that he seems to use.

The Outsider is still in that vein, but I think it was executed wonderfully.

2. Pennyworth (US series but story location is 60's London, 1 season) 7/10

That's Pennyworth as in Alfred Pennyworth of Batman fame. The time frame is the same era as when Alfred met Thomas Wayne - and that's all I'm going to say about that.

It's kind of hokey but you sort of expect that from something based on a comic. By that I mean that the hero always wins, unless he doesn't - but he will later. wink, wink.

Even so, I thought it was a very good story. Not too predictable but not having much historical basis. The characters were sort of one dimensional but I didn't really mind.

3. Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (Showtime series, 1 season) ?/10

This is hard for me to rate because I loved the original series so I can't really be objective about this. Besides, I love shit about the occult.

FYI, there doesn't seem to be any overlap between the 2 series.

I don't want to give too much away especially since the full series hasn't aired yet. I'll just say it takes place in 1930's (pre-war) LA. There are Nazis. The conflict between Chicaos and the white police is a central part of the story. At first you get the impression that it is a fight between good and evil, but it's really not that simple.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yeah, CDPR only has the game rights.
Strange that they would attribute the quote to him saying he sold them the rights to all of his novels but it seems the brackets would imply that the inference was assumed by the reporters quoting him. I have to assume the inferred incorrectly, but that was the reporting I remember from years ago: they said (incorrectly?) that he sold the rights to the novels too.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Strange that they would attribute the quote to him saying he sold them the rights to all of his novels but it seems the brackets would imply that the inference was assumed by the reporters quoting him. I have to assume the inferred incorrectly, but that was the reporting I remember from years ago: they said (incorrectly?) that he sold the rights to the novels too.
It says that he sold "game rights" and then says all of his novels in brackets. Either way, it's still just game rights we're talking about.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What We do in the Shadows (Movie) 10/10
I've wanted to watch this for a long time but just never got around to it and consistently back-burnered it. It's prefect. Just hilarious in all the right ways. I don't get too much into "vampires" and the like, but this goes beyond that. Just a great fresh take and idea on a simple, common subject matter. Impeccably done by Taika once again.

What We do in the Shadows (TV Show) 9/10
I wanted to watch the TV after I watched the movie. I guess I thought there may be some "relation" or "connected jokes" but there's really not. It pretty much is on the exact same level and plane as the movie itself. Flawless in execution. The only downgrade to 9 from 10 is because Taika is not in it and he's just too damn funny so he's missed. Though Collin Robinson almost makes up for his absence.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I would assume the quote means they can take any story from the novels and use them in the games.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Perknose Reports . . . The Moviepass Edition

Isle of Dogs -- 9.5/10: I loved it. It's a Wes Anderson thing. I'm not as much in love with all his movies, but I sure as hell loved The Grand Budapest Hotel as well.
it's taken me 2 years, but finally i also watched Isle Of Dogs and, i also loved it. 8/10

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Rick and Morty season 4: 9.5/10. The show has not missed a beat. Even the weakest episodes are pretty damn good and the best bits are as clever as anything on TV.

Solar Opposites: 7.5/10 Yeah, the similarities between Rick and Morty are obvious given the people involved, animation style and the subject. But it's more of a spiritual successor to 3rd Rock From the Sun than it is to Rick and Morty. Judged completely on its own merits it probably deserves an 8 or an 8.5 and I'd rate it higher if not for R and M. It just suffers a little in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.