NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 769 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I started watching Deadwood on Amazon Prime. I'm only in 3 episodes of the 1st season, but man I'm sold. The writing is fantastic and all the actors do an awesome job. Looking forward to watching the rest of this series.

9/10 so far, although I just started it really.
I'm only a couple episodes past you in it (started it but just haven't gotten back to it, which is common for me) but yeah it is great. Swearengen rofl, even his name is good.

Reactions: KMFJD

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
John Wick 3 - Parabellum and John Wick 2

I watched JW2 a while ago and thought it was OK, but since JW3 is a continuation of the same plot line I feel it's only right to judge these two films as inseparable.

After watching JW3, I thought the series disappeared up its own arse. The first film is good: An action flick, a basic plot, a storyline that encourages sympathy for the protagonist, and the story of revenge is over where one expects it to be, and lots of kickass action. Simple! Then a need for a sequel was determined, and this whole 'high table' bollocks, and another sequel with a silly 'Adjudicator' running around with her own little gold badge! She's like a sheriff for criminals!

Does something sound wrong with this concept: A bunch of master criminals feel the need apparently to follow rules absolutely and pretty much without exception? I think there were two ways to do this: One, the series makes fun of the whole 'criminals disappeared up their own arses and make a high table and demand absolute adherence to rules to their own detriment' concept, or do something else, for example the fact that the reason for the second movie was a violation of those rules at least in spirit by the antagonist and have some kind of compromise as a result of that act. Instead, the viewer is supposed to believe that a bunch of criminal organisations waste tonnes of resources going after the unstoppable killbot that is John Wick and will likely continue to do so in JW4.... because of what, a principle for which the basis is pretty muddy?

That's just aside from the apparently unstoppable killbot that is the concierge (despite his minions getting dropped like flies) and the ric-goddamn-diculous from beginning to end raid on the New York Continental. Also, what were nice little ideas to begin with in JW1, e.g. a neutral ground hotel, started to go a bit sour like the 'tasting' in JW2, and while JW being as unstoppable in the protagonist in the first 'Taken' movie is a touch absurd, JW2 pushes the absurdity further with bulletproof suits and JW3 goes even further with utterly bulletproof armour henchmen even against HV bullets as well as some really dodgy "you could have killed the protagonist but you backed off" cliches.

The Matrix reference in JW3 was appropriate because IMO this series went off the rails just like the Matrix trilogy did, and there's a fourth one coming in that series too.

If you've seen 'M' before, I think that film explains pretty well the absurdity of criminals teaming up and starting to make the rules. If you want to do it right (and seriously), then 'The Godfather' is a good reference.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Finally saw Star Trek: Discovery season 1. 7/10

There were two issues I had with this season. The lesser is that they went to hell and back. I don't like the
mirror universe.
The story was well done; I just don't like the setting.

The bigger issue was with the Klingons. I don't mind the cosmetic changes so much. The problem was they barely paid lip service to "honor". This I could maybe put aside too, but the ending really doesn't make sense if it's not done to secure honor. They could have easily used the word, but they didn't. That's frustrating!

I think the problem is that the series was originally to be set in the future, fighting the Hirogen, who are cannibals without honor. But I don't know how they would have explained the ending without honor. (And they didn't explain it well anyway.)

Most of the other concepts they introduced, though I thought they might be annoying, turned out kind of interesting.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Terminator Dark Fate - 6/10 - I probably would have given it a bit higher if the terminator was a bit better. And the chick that protects the new girl. I don't even remember the name of new girl that everyone is protecting - that is how forgettable the character is. I also did not like how the terminators had "super powers" in the sense that like they could run super fast and could jump super far. They were scarier when they were basically like normal humans just strong and indestructible. And the casting for the new terminator was just bad. He sucked.

Thinking now i probably would also have given the score less without a lot of the throwbacks to the old movies. Best scene in the movie to me was the opening scene. I hadn't heard anything about it so it was like 'WOAH' as soon as it starts.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
EuroTrip - 6.5/10. I've seen it before but not in a long time. I wish they made more stupid comedies like this.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Terminator Dark Fate - 6/10 - I probably would have given it a bit higher if the terminator was a bit better. And the chick that protects the new girl. I don't even remember the name of new girl that everyone is protecting - that is how forgettable the character is. I also did not like how the terminators had "super powers" in the sense that like they could run super fast and could jump super far. They were scarier when they were basically like normal humans just strong and indestructible. And the casting for the new terminator was just bad. He sucked.

Thinking now i probably would also have given the score less without a lot of the throwbacks to the old movies. Best scene in the movie to me was the opening scene. I hadn't heard anything about it so it was like 'WOAH' as soon as it starts.
That "enhanced" human woman who was sent back to protect that young girl... :hearteyecat::hearteyes::hearteyecat: (Mackenzie Davis)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Marriage Story (Netflix) -- 8/10

Just a pretty straight forward drama about a couple's divorce. Both Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson were great in it. Nothing fancy just a good movie I thought.

I wish the ending was less ambiguous and it ended on them getting back together, but that's just a personal preference. When I come to like the characters in a movie I want them to be happy at the end lol.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Pretty much agree, I'd give it a 6.5, just because it kept me engaged (even though that included shouting at the screen a few times!). The new terminator was either super-super human (as you point out) or easier than expected to knock down. Also, the dual body bit - over the top.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Logan Lucky 8/10

I enjoy heist films and this was a good heist film. Soderbergh does this style well and it shares a lot with the Ocean's XX series. Not really a comedy, not really a tense drama, just a light-hearted fun caper. If you like crime flicks and don't want to think too hard it's a good way to pass a couple of hours.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Weathering With You, 8/10. Japanese anime from the director of "Your Name" (which I haven't seen yet and should). Took my 9 y.o. daughter who highly enjoyed it. Animation is great. Storyline isn't amazing but is completely serviceable. Nice movie to see in the theater so you can truly enjoy the animation and cinematography.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I Am A Killer 8/10

I just finished the 2nd season of the Netflix series. I really enjoy the show/episodes as most shows like this either are pro-death penalty or anti-death penalty, and the bias is obvious on the people and cases they focus on.

This series is different. With most of the cases / killers featured on here, you leave really debating that. They feature many different sides, and it's a show that makes you think about if the person deserves to die (or to ever be let out of prison). Many are obviously playing their angles for parole boards, many of them get called out for lying/leaving out all of the details of their crime. However, some do seem like they have changed for the better.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
i watched Ford Vs Ferrari

it was an ok movie. nothing amazing about it.

I really enjoyed it, but for Ford GT is my absolute favorite car of all time. Even the new ones. A Ford Cobra (which is also in the movie a lot) is a close second. I like that it was based on actual events, and listening to it with a good sound system is amazing. I would give it a solid 8/10, but am a bit bias towards it.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Michael Clayton 9.5/10

Just got the DVD & watched this again. Can't say enough good things about this movie. One of my all-time favs.

Reactions: mikeymikec

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Its a lot of explanation. Mostly I agree with Rich Evans.
who the F is rich evans?

anyway, just watched Picard eps 3.
yeah, Im not giving high marks.

Pros:
Hugh (drone from Borg sphere) is back!
bet he never thought of being a cast regular 30+ years after his guest appearance. :eek:

Cons:
Picard scraping the bottom of the barrel to get help?!
he doesn't have any high level friends with resources?
ie: former high level non-federation friends? or former/current military personnel w/o a sketchy past?

and still with the bad guys with manual aiming phasers?!?!
why not just use long range stun rifles and take them after they're unconscious.
heck, if the bad guys can teleport in, why not just teleport their targets out into a cage or something.

Star Trek plot holes makes this 5/10

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeymikec

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Doctor Sleep - 6/10

It was OK, but I guess my expectations were too high. I was honestly bored with it for large stretches of the movie. When watching a great movie, I rarely will pause it in order to get a drink/snack/bathroom break, and I ended up doing that many times with this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.