NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 750 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
El Camino - 7/10 - I would give Breaking Bad 10/10 but I dunno, the movie felt super underwhelming. I don't know if I just expected more or what, but it just felt like a longer episode of BB that focused on Jesse, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was one of those episodes that was slower where not much happened. I dunno, it was just nothing incredible like I was hoping it would be. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations though.

I would have gave it an 8/10, which was about as good as it was going to get without Walter White's character. He was always the mastermind of all of the awesome "Science, Bitch!" moments of that show.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
El Camino - 7/10 - I would give Breaking Bad 10/10 but I dunno, the movie felt super underwhelming. I don't know if I just expected more or what, but it just felt like a longer episode of BB that focused on Jesse, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was one of those episodes that was slower where not much happened. I dunno, it was just nothing incredible like I was hoping it would be. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations though.

I watched it last night. the thing i dont understand is how the cops knew Pinkman was at the gang house and why they thought he was the one who setup the M-60.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
Regardless, WW1 is under represented. Most people have no idea how horrific it was being in those trenches while chemical gas was being used without restraint.

here is a Canadian WW1 movie. all of it sucked but the ending battle scene.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I watched it last night. the thing i dont understand is how the cops knew Pinkman was at the gang house and why they thought he was the one who setup the M-60.
Even without watching it (no spoilers), they found Walt (still dying), the cage, Lydia (still dying), etc.

OK, I did watch it, but wanted to make it clear I wasn't spoiling anything. These particulars probably belong in a dedicated thread... perhaps the old season 5 thread.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I love El Camino. I'd give it a 9/10. I just really like how the story was crafted, like a nice, slow-burn episode of BB. Just enough fan service with some characters, but not too much to make it annoying. I thought it was brilliant, and will probably watch again soon.

....I particularly enjoyed how the crazy sociopath dude that hangs around the biker gang is suddenly much fatter (in flashbacks) than he was on the day of his actual death in the series (if you saw him more recently in Fargo, you noticed he put on some lbs.) ...also, that they went deep into his sociopath/serial killer tendencies. That guy....damn.

Random comment: about 5 days ago, I somehow found myself interested in El Caminos again (It was some other movie I was watching, and back in highschool, that was, for some reason...the car I wanted. without ever knowing anything about how stupid it would have been to own one of those in ~94...but maybe not really). Anyway, I found myself scouring the country for El Caminos for sale, and damn...there are many fine examples available, and SS models as well, but the nicer ones are up to $15k! ....I was wondering if they saw a resurgence in value for some reason, because these are mostly re-built, newish engines on not-that-collectible mass-produced cars. ...and many of the nicer ones had the same paint and trim as the one that Pinkman drives in this flick. ....so I wonder if it is already influencing the El Camino market, if only temporarily.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Even without watching it (no spoilers), they found Walt (still dying), the cage, Lydia (still dying), etc.

OK, I did watch it, but wanted to make it clear I wasn't spoiling anything. These particulars probably belong in a dedicated thread... perhaps the old season 5 thread.

Yep. The vacant cage and whatever they find there is pretty solid evidence that someone was imprisoned there, and likely escaped (though I'm not sure how they would have come to that.)
DEA already knew of the connection between Walt and Jessie (Hank's surviving partner), so I guess that's how he became the prime suspect?

I thought Walt had died before they arrived? I rather doubt he would have told them about Jessie, anyway.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yep. The vacant cage and whatever they find there is pretty solid evidence that someone was imprisoned there, and likely escaped (though I'm not sure how they would have come to that.)
DEA already knew of the connection between Walt and Jessie (Hank's surviving partner), so I guess that's how he became the prime suspect?

I thought Walt had died before they arrived? I rather doubt he would have told them about Jessie, anyway.
He collapsed and
left a bloody hand-print but we don't even know if it was the ricochet bullet wound in his side or the untreated cancer finally overcoming him. Many wondered if he died at all until this movie and, either way, it likely wasn't instant. He could've been perfectly conscious while the police surrounded him as far as we know, and that was the final shot we had.

Todd's weight was very distracting but I can ignore that. I get the impression they didn't impress on the actor just how much of a role he would have in this.

It was definitely more of a small series arc than a movie, which I think contributes to the reaction some have (they were expecting material more fitting of a stand-alone movie). I didn't know what to expect so I decided to watch it at one of the limited theatrical showings just in case but I did so will full knowledge that I may be paying $14 to watch a double-episode on the big screen and set my expectations accordingly. I enjoyed it.

Found a couple parts predictable but only because I've grown familiar enough with Vince's work to to see what he would and wouldn't do with the plot. Example: there's no way the camera is going to
pan left and show us Jessie's reaction from the passenger seat.
I mean: forget it! From that, you know exactly where he is and why they framed the shot that way.

Last edited:

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Ellen Green was part of the original cast for the stage version.

I think also Levi Stubbs, the voice of the plant.

I have the soundtrack on CD and it's fantastic. It's fascinating the hear the songs that were cut short due to deleted scenes ("Meek Shall Inherit"). I really prefer the original God-like voice to the version that ended up in the final movie. Unfortunately the Blu-Ray claims to have the original "director's cut" with the original ending, but the ending doesn't really work without another crucial scene that was NOT restored (the same "Meek Shall Inherit" scene and dream sequence, in which Seymour consciously makes a selfish and morally indefensible decision).

I guess there were no electronics. They had a team of people pulling cords to move the tendrils and everything else. They slowed the camera's frame rate when filming the plan, so actors in the same shot had to move slowly. It made the plant's movement look much better when the film was played back at regular speed.

Ashman and Menken were an amazing duo. They're basically responsible for the Disney renaissance immediately after this movie (The Little Mermaid, Beaty and the Beast, Aladdin).

I still listen to "Dentist!" every time I'm driving to a dental appointment.

Awesome! Thanks for all of the tidbits!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Letterkenny (season 7) 7/10

watched the anticipated new season over the weekend. Sadly, it fell pretty flat. The first 3 episodes are generally weak, with a few redeeming moments/jokes. The last 3 episodes were pretty damned solid though with more highs than lows. Still a bummer that each season is only 6 episodes. So damned short

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
El Camino (Netflix) -- 9/10

Excellent stuff. It was a little slow but I thought it was a finely crafted, appropriate end to Jesse's story.

Rambo: Last Blood -- 6/10

About what I expected; insanely violent movie of Rambo taking revenge, lol. I didn't think it was horrible though, I mean you should probably figure on what you're getting into with a Rambo movie (especially the last couple). I actually lol'd in the theater
when he dropped that scumbag's head out of the vehicle while driving down the road.
I don't think anyone else was in the theater though, haha.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Tick, season 2 eps 1+2 5/10

-Arthur being an over-the-top fanboy of Aegis
-Superion is concerned about his image in social media?!
-Overkill went rogue while an Aegis agent years ago because he assumed the Aegis leader would blame him for the deaths of his squad

hopefully it picks up the rest of the season

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched 3:10 To Yuma, the 2007 Christian Bale / Russel Crowe version, and found it to be a very mediocre honest-man-in-the-west western. Got irritated at how Crowe plays the same character which is totally out of place for the setting, and briefly considered if i should watch the original hoping the same character isn't as bad.

And i also had to watch Joker ... uff. Spoilers because explanation, if you dont want plot points spoiled, do not read the review.
My friends dragged me to the theater for this one, and i did not like it, to the point where halfway i was about ready to leave.
Now, my problem with it is only one, because otherwise this is a remarkable film; it's very well made, the recreation of 1980s NYC is impressive, Phoenix's acting is .. hmm... "really powerful", but let's get to what i didnt like.

Actually now that i think about it, there may be more than one thing i didnt like.

First, i hate that "i showed you something but it wasn't true" device.
It's ok when we are shown Arthur imagining Murray welcoming him "as a son", but when you advance the film by half hour and the relationship with Sophie becomes imaginary, that's both crude storytelling, and not actually possible for me on-the-fly to understand the implied changes. It also does literally nothing for the plot, so why is it even there?
This works great when in a film, a "big reveal" trope of an antagonist who has been fooling the protagonist - such as Devil's Advocate; it works when it advances the plot, such as Sixth Sense. It doesn't work when my brain has to go back half an hour to undo everything i've been shown previously, and it's even worse when this doesnt really change anything, i mean, how much more insane can he get.

Second, i dont really want to watch a film about mental illness?
I'm not sure who this film targets besides the pretentious; if you want to make a serious film about mental illness, don't fucking set it in the DC universe - the DC Joker is NOT a good example of mental illness, but a caricature, as every good villain should be. Films are not real life, if you overdo it in humanizing the antagonist, then you detract from the hero's quest to defeat him - a villain is simply a symbol of "what the hero must overcome".

Third,
this is a really bad film about mental illness.
If your aim is to portray a man's descent into madness, you need, you MUST depict the erosion of a person's human state of mind. You can take as many liberties you want with a film, but humans tend to be, you know, real. I need to relate to how the initial character is, and how it deteriorates. If i cannot keep up with the absurd swings in character, then the film isn't getting through to me. Arthur skips from absolutely mental to "well, just fine" with an ease that is just not realistic - if you are aiming to make a realistic film. He doesn't have a plateau of emotions, probably because the people in charge of writing have no idea what mental illness actually is. The climax of the film, Arthur's speech at the Murray show, is particularly bad; obviously Phoenix needs to work with the writing he's given, but if this is the film you want, maybe work backwards from the final speech; or, you could avoid these problems if you know what you are talking about, where here the writers obviously don't.

Fourth,
it's a really shit Joker.
I love the Joker (as i guess we all do), he's such a brilliant anti-hero, who weightlessly glides over the problems of common life, pulling a cannon-sized handgun from his trousers, and disappearing in a mist of poisonous vapour as the police around him flee in a blind panic. This instead is the joker that couldn't; the Darth Vader without the force. The senile Lex Luthor.

I dont think this is a story that needed to be told; i get it that the concept was of Arthur being the protagonist, in a real-world film about mental illness, and the Joker being the antagonist, out of a surreal DC action film, and how they meld to become one. We know this is about as constructive as Horror-Comedy films - the two do not work together. I guess this is the masterpiece of the McDonald-eating, Marvel-watching generation, but i woulnd't recommend this film to anyone. It's crude, way too long and redundant, without a protagonist or a real antagonist, a mediocre plot, a horrible framing device, and while i like the efforts that were put in production (although i gotta say, it's kinda unlikely you would see a WV Beetle in NYC in the 80s)i wouldn't want to put anyone through the suffering which is the other 2h of film.

instead of a vote, i would say, what could have made this film better?

cut out all DC crap - drop the Waynes, drop Arkham, cut out the insanity of the mother alltogether (how does a single mental-patient pass child adoption anyway?), get to the climax in 90 minutes, and close with a Joker triumphant - that would have made it a nice, entertaining film.
comparing this to Dark Knight is insulting.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Midsommar - 7/10. The opening was one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen in a movie; Ari Aster seems to have a knack for conveying complete and utter grief. The rest of the movie was great, but not as good. It seems too easy to try to compare it to Hereditary (which was better) but on its own it was really good if you like a different kind of horror.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Eli 6.5/10
Dumped on Netflix movie I'm guessing. If you need a horror movie to watch at this time of the year it isn't a bad little flick.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
i watched 3:10 To Yuma, the 2007 Christian Bale / Russel Crowe version, and found it to be a very mediocre honest-man-in-the-west western. Got irritated at how Crowe plays the same character which is totally out of place for the setting, and briefly considered if i should watch the original hoping the same character isn't as bad.

And i also had to watch Joker ... uff. Spoilers because explanation, if you dont want plot points spoiled, do not read the review.
My friends dragged me to the theater for this one, and i did not like it, to the point where halfway i was about ready to leave.
Now, my problem with it is only one, because otherwise this is a remarkable film; it's very well made, the recreation of 1980s NYC is impressive, Phoenix's acting is .. hmm... "really powerful", but let's get to what i didnt like.

Actually now that i think about it, there may be more than one thing i didnt like.

First, i hate that "i showed you something but it wasn't true" device.
It's ok when we are shown Arthur imagining Murray welcoming him "as a son", but when you advance the film by half hour and the relationship with Sophie becomes imaginary, that's both crude storytelling, and not actually possible for me on-the-fly to understand the implied changes. It also does literally nothing for the plot, so why is it even there?
This works great when in a film, a "big reveal" trope of an antagonist who has been fooling the protagonist - such as Devil's Advocate; it works when it advances the plot, such as Sixth Sense. It doesn't work when my brain has to go back half an hour to undo everything i've been shown previously, and it's even worse when this doesnt really change anything, i mean, how much more insane can he get.

Second, i dont really want to watch a film about mental illness?
I'm not sure who this film targets besides the pretentious; if you want to make a serious film about mental illness, don't fucking set it in the DC universe - the DC Joker is NOT a good example of mental illness, but a caricature, as every good villain should be. Films are not real life, if you overdo it in humanizing the antagonist, then you detract from the hero's quest to defeat him - a villain is simply a symbol of "what the hero must overcome".

Third,
this is a really bad film about mental illness.
If your aim is to portray a man's descent into madness, you need, you MUST depict the erosion of a person's human state of mind. You can take as many liberties you want with a film, but humans tend to be, you know, real. I need to relate to how the initial character is, and how it deteriorates. If i cannot keep up with the absurd swings in character, then the film isn't getting through to me. Arthur skips from absolutely mental to "well, just fine" with an ease that is just not realistic - if you are aiming to make a realistic film. He doesn't have a plateau of emotions, probably because the people in charge of writing have no idea what mental illness actually is. The climax of the film, Arthur's speech at the Murray show, is particularly bad; obviously Phoenix needs to work with the writing he's given, but if this is the film you want, maybe work backwards from the final speech; or, you could avoid these problems if you know what you are talking about, where here the writers obviously don't.

Fourth,
it's a really shit Joker.
I love the Joker (as i guess we all do), he's such a brilliant anti-hero, who weightlessly glides over the problems of common life, pulling a cannon-sized handgun from his trousers, and disappearing in a mist of poisonous vapour as the police around him flee in a blind panic. This instead is the joker that couldn't; the Darth Vader without the force. The senile Lex Luthor.

I dont think this is a story that needed to be told; i get it that the concept was of Arthur being the protagonist, in a real-world film about mental illness, and the Joker being the antagonist, out of a surreal DC action film, and how they meld to become one. We know this is about as constructive as Horror-Comedy films - the two do not work together. I guess this is the masterpiece of the McDonald-eating, Marvel-watching generation, but i woulnd't recommend this film to anyone. It's crude, way too long and redundant, without a protagonist or a real antagonist, a mediocre plot, a horrible framing device, and while i like the efforts that were put in production (although i gotta say, it's kinda unlikely you would see a WV Beetle in NYC in the 80s)i wouldn't want to put anyone through the suffering which is the other 2h of film.

instead of a vote, i would say, what could have made this film better?

cut out all DC crap - drop the Waynes, drop Arkham, cut out the insanity of the mother alltogether (how does a single mental-patient pass child adoption anyway?), get to the climax in 90 minutes, and close with a Joker triumphant - that would have made it a nice, entertaining film.
comparing this to Dark Knight is insulting.
TDK is grossly over-rated. Even Batman Begins was better, IMO.

Either way, holding up TDK as any kind of benchmark for Joker means you went in with the wrong expectations. This isn't Terminator 3 versus Terminator 2.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Walking Out (Netflix) - 8/10

Story about a man and his teenage son going out to hunt Elk in Montana. Beautifully shot and excellently acted, though rather slow (if you expected action from this, uh, that was a mistake, lol). Overall I think it was a fine film, though admittedly not exactly unique or new.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol the Tom Brady cameo in Netflix Living with yourself.

lol, that's weird. didn't read the article so not sure what people are complaining about, but I did always suspect that Brady was some sort of 5th generation clone at this point, so I'm just glad for the confirmation.

Nov 25, 2013
Regardless, WW1 is under represented. Most people have no idea how horrific it was being in those trenches while chemical gas was being used without restraint.

History passes and people forget. It was 100 years ago. The only folks that really still have any connection are old people like me who had grandparents who fought in the war. And yes, it was a horror. 10s of thousands would die to gain (and later lose) a couple of hundred yards of mud. Almost a whole generation of young men from the countries involved died.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Alien: Covenant 3/10 (what I saw)

What the hell went wrong here? I didn't even watch the whole thing before switching channels.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i didnt watch either of these but they are waiting for me when i get home tonight:

Watchmen - TV series

i dont have great expectations for this because the film was based on the absolutely brilliant graphic novel by Alan Moore, and i dont expect Netflix/HBO/Amazon/whatever to have the same level of writing quality - but we shall see.

Godfather Of Harlem

Remember American Gangster? The Denzel Washington film where he plays Frank Lucas, ex-driver and right hand man of mobster Bumpy Johnson?
Well GOH is a (Netflix?) show about Bumpy Johnson, played by none other than the excellent Forrest Whittaker.
Having simply watched a tralier for this i have high expectations.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
TDK is grossly over-rated. Even Batman Begins was better, IMO.

Either way, holding up TDK as any kind of benchmark for Joker means you went in with the wrong expectations. This isn't Terminator 3 versus Terminator 2.
See, i do think TDK is gr..

Ok well.
I think TDK had a pretty bad story, and Batman was bad. I do not disagree on this. But Heath Ledger's Joker is by far the best incarnation of the Joker i have ever seen, and on its own worth the price of the film.
Tumbler was cool tho.
I liked very much - back in the day - Jack Nicholson's joker. It was much more of a pantomime act, but true to the original character in intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.