NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 735 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
John Wick 3

8/10 the action was top notch the story didn't quite grab me quite the way the that the ones in the first two movies did. Not sure why. However I am planning on watching it a second time.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Live In Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons"

7/10. But my god did Jamie Foxx nail George Jefferson. Amazing performance by him. Woody wasn't even close for Archie.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Going back to watch the Friday Night Lights tv series. 9/10. It may primarily be about teenagers but the writing and characters were done so well. You know it's good when you can binge watch something from so far back.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyone watch The Perfection on Netflix? Hearing good things about it, looks weird as fuck.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Live In Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons"

7/10. But my god did Jamie Foxx nail George Jefferson. Amazing performance by him. Woody wasn't even close for Archie.

I did not think Foxx nailed George...

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Well, for one thing, going to see a movie franchise that one doesn't like, in the theater, hoping to eventually like it, isn't a recipe for success.

I can get that John Wick is a different taste for some and while I don't generally like brainless movies, these are great brainless. They know what they are, they don't take themselves seriously, they are just fun.

I like them at home, though, where I can drink many beers and enjoy simple beer-fueled smiles.
I have a very low pain threshold for emotional tension and interpersonal conflict. Oddly enough, I can be a real a**hole IRL. So that seems like a strange dichotomy. I'd see a therapist about sh** like that but I don't really care.

Anyway, action movies are pretty reliably drama-free from that perspective. So I don't have to worry about identifying with any of the characters and having to feel anything. You can just focus on how creative the movie is with respect to killing bad guys and how the main characters are going to get out of seemingly impossible situations.

Plus you always know that there is going to at least a somewhat satisfying resolution to whatever the conflict is. So there are no real surprises, just changes in direction of the plot that may or may not be very creative. But it doesn't really matter either way.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The other night I was completely out of ideas, just staring at the TV. No interest in watching anything serious.

So I went to Netflix and randomly selected a Jim Gaffigan routine. You know what? The guy is really funny. It takes a bit to adapt to his style but once you do it's good stuff. I watched 3 straight.

I think I enjoyed "Cinco" the most.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The Perfection - 8/10 - one fucked up movie that came out on Netflix today.
Was it a horror movie, or billed as such? I'd maybe check it out if it's not a typical "horror" movie. I'm not really a fan of those usually although I can handle "strange."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Corpse Bride (2007 -- Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Tracey Ullman) 8/10

Good if you have imagination. If you don't, get it.

I remember hearing last time I went back to school a comment. It was by a stranger in an eating commons on campus, the cafeteria. He was talking to someone and said "no weddings, no funerals." I felt obliged to repeat that statement back to him, and he IIRC, repeated it back to me. Well, this movie definitely crosses over that line, and very intentionally! Still, what a trip!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah that's a good way of doing it. I don't remember that about Hunt for Red October but it's been quite a while since I've sat down and watched the whole thing.
It would be dumb to have the Russians speaking just Russian in an HBO special for English speakers and have it subtitled in English. Have them speak with a Russian accent. WTH.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Girl in the Spider's Web 5/10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_in_the_Spider's_Web_(film)

The is the sequel to the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Instead of using the remaining books from the 1st trilogy (like the original Swedish films), this skipped to the 2nd trilogy (Book #4).

so basically all the $millions$ she hacked/stole from the 3rd book never happened.

plot holes, unbelievability.
ie: she doesnt secure the laptop with the stolen program in a safe place when she's done working,
- the fire burns everything except her drivers license with her name very readable
- the NSA doesn't send ALOT more people to retrieve the very dangerous stolen program,
- why did he answer the phone knowing the person who's calling is dead,
- end of the bathroom scene
- guy walking around with a compound leg injury (bone sticking out of his leg)
- etc

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Was it a horror movie, or billed as such? I'd maybe check it out if it's not a typical "horror" movie. I'm not really a fan of those usually although I can handle "strange."
Has horror listed as one of the categories on IMDB, so take that as you will. It's more along the lines of movies like Last House on the Left as far as being "scary". Like that movie is categorized as horror I guess too but it's not scary at all.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It acts like a horror movie for half the movie, and then turns into a dramatic thriller (can't really say why w/o giving away the story), but I had that part figured out from just the trailer. I thought it was pretty good though.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Still Laugh-In: The Stars Celebrate (2019 TV Special)

Netflix minus 10 out of 10

If any of you are old enough to remember Laugh In, I know some here are, OMG what a complete abomination.

I tuned in to see the old clips and some survivors and they were pretty amusing but the "new" stars of today??? The unfunny bits, the awkwardness, the CURSING and the bashing. A bunch of old democrats pating themselves on the back in the audience . (BTW, I curse with the best of them but not for comic effect.)

Dont care if you dont like Trump but Bill Mahrs bit was disgusting, worse than usual and to a resounding round of applause. No respect for the office or the man. Doesnt he realize how this dimimishes him? I know its his stick and anything for a buck. Bash both sides equally, Im ok but not this.

JMHO.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I sort of remember Laugh In. Definitely remember some of the standing gags like the joke wall, or whatever it was called. It was pretty left-leaning, wasn't it? Anti-war, pro-hippie (hehe).

I agree that political comedians really should be more even handed, but pandering to your audience is what pays the bills.

Bill Maher is kind of a known quantity after all. And I can count the milliseconds I've ever watched him.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
I loved Laugh In, but was around 10 years old and the politics went over my head. Goldie Hawn though.............

Looking back, I think it was pretty cool for the era.

Nov 29, 2006
Still Laugh-In: The Stars Celebrate (2019 TV Special)

Netflix minus 10 out of 10

If any of you are old enough to remember Laugh In, I know some here are, OMG what a complete abomination.

I tuned in to see the old clips and some survivors and they were pretty amusing but the "new" stars of today??? The unfunny bits, the awkwardness, the CURSING and the bashing. A bunch of old democrats pating themselves on the back in the audience . (BTW, I curse with the best of them but not for comic effect.)

Dont care if you dont like Trump but Bill Mahrs bit was disgusting, worse than usual and to a resounding round of applause. No respect for the office or the man. Doesnt he realize how this dimimishes him? I know its his stick and anything for a buck. Bash both sides equally, Im ok but not this.

JMHO.

Respect is earned, not awarded. I haven’t watched it, but I do love a good Trump bashing. Lol

Reactions: esquared

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
John Wick 3
7.5/8
1/2 a point off because some of the battle were way too long, another 1pt off for the superhuman durability of those guys. Otherwise it is a great action flick, better than 2. It managed to reinvented the wheel without getting too cheesy.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Brightburn 7.5/10 a better DARK Superman movie than Man of Steel....

the first 3 minutes of the review are non-spoilery

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Gentleman Jack on HBO. 9.0

Based on the diaries of a spirited lady from the early 1800. Great characters and acting.

"It's 1832 in West Yorkshire, England -- the cradle of the evolving Industrial Revolution -- where landowner Anne Lister is determined to save her faded ancestral home, Shibden Hall, even if it means bucking society's expectations. In addition to reopening the coal mines, a part of Lister's plan to help her family is to marry well. But the charismatic, single-minded Lister -- who dresses head-to-toe in black and charms her way into high society -- has no intention of marrying a man. "Gentleman Jack" examines Lister's relationships with her family, servants, tenants and industrial rivals, and would-be wife. The real-life Anne Lister's story was recorded in her diaries, and the most intimate details of her life are revealed for the series."

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched Quarantine and REC. OMG, the ending with that freaky looking guy was scary. I give that movie 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.