NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 731 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yea, I loved that movie. Was very happy that it won Best Picture.
Edit: Mahersal Ali was great, but I was hoping for Viggo Mortenson to win best actor. It was definitely an oscar caliber performance, but a lot of competition this year.
I went in knowing almost nothing, was pleased to see DREAMWORKS in the opening credits. Seems that a high percentage of the American movies I really like are Dreamworks productions. This wasn't standard fare. I hope to see it again, that's for sure. Green Book!

And, yeah, Mortenson's performance was dynamite. Hell of impressive.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Bosch season 5 9/10.Love this show.Long may it continue.

Deadwood again.Damn 3 seasons of this when it should of been a lot more.:(

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Spy Who Went Into the Cold 8/10.interesting doc.Lies,lies,and bigger lies,Kim Philby.Worth a watch,quite interesting.(Timeline)

There seems to be 2 docs with the same name.one of them is rubbish.youtube.Kim Philby is the good one.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
First Reformed (2018) 5/10

I watched about 20 minutes of this and hit Eject. I was very impressed with the husband of the female protagonist. He was an activist very pessimistic about the way things are going and reluctant to have children therefore, sought counseling from our frocked Ethan Hawke. I loved Hawke in Before (Sunrise, Midnight, Sunset), great movies (see 'em!), but here I wasn't feeling it, he was just mailing it in. I checked out the plot of First Reformed after Eject and was, quite frankly, appalled. I think Paul Schrader (director, writer), blew it.

Last edited:

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Black Summer...eh maybe a 6 or 7 just due to its compactness. There are parts that just didn't make sense. (I know, I know, zombie apocalypse stuff but some stuff I was like wtf how did this happen moments). Episodes (8) get shorter as they go. Heck the last one is around 15 minutes. So easy to binge on a crappy rainy day with nothing else to do. Apparently it is set in the Z Nation universe.

Also finally got around to watching 'The Nun'. My daughter who has bad taste in movies and TV shows said it was bad. So I went in with low expectations. She was right, it was so bad it was good. I was laughing my ass off through most of it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Vox Lux (2018) 8.8/10

Very impressive movie, one the best movies in a year that killed it for movies. Natalie Portman is a phenomenal actress. The dialogue in this movie is top notch. I watched it alone, but figure this is one of those movies that people talk about afterwards. It doesn't hit you with a message but makes you think, what was the message, and that's a good thing. I was afraid I wouldn't like the ending, but I did.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Vox Lux (2018) 8.8/10

Very impressive movie, one the best movies in a year that killed it for movies. Natalie Portman is a phenomenal actress. The dialogue in this movie is top notch. I watched it alone, but figure this is one of those movies that people talk about afterwards. It doesn't hit you with a message but makes you think, what was the message, and that's a good thing. I was afraid I wouldn't like the ending, but I did.
I just read the plot synopsis of the movie and I'll have to check this out. Natalie Portman was my actress crush back in the day; but yeah she's definitely very talented.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just read the plot synopsis of the movie and I'll have to check this out. Natalie Portman was my actress crush back in the day; but yeah she's definitely very talented.

you mean like, 8 year-old Natalie Portman, or 12 year-old Natalie Portman?

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
End Game - 7/10

No spoiler.

Was going to give it 6 but I don't feel it dragged the whole 3hrs that add to 7. Cinematography is beautifully done, I actually got distracted from it in the first half. Chris Evan looks checked out. I actually have to look up who Karen Gillan is because of how much screen time she got. No one can get time travel movie right including Endgame. Last battle looks.....forced. It is the my least favor Avengers because I felt like they're tracing for a good send off on a few characters.

Reactions: joejoe666

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
you mean like, 8 year-old Natalie Portman, or 12 year-old Natalie Portman?
:oops:

lol, naw, like early 20s Natalie Portman. I remember I had a picture of her as part of my wallpaper in college, in 2003-2004. I think. Anyway that was my crush in that time. Oh and Mandy Moore. <3

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Favourite (2018) 7/10

Didn't know a ton about it going in, I'd seen a few snippets watching the Oscars. Knew it was "highly touted." Gotta say, it is one of those movies where I was wondering "please, when will this be over, it seems to be going on forever and I need it to stop already... when, oh, when... it must be another 1/2 hour... oh God!" Honestly, when it ended I just thought "no, this can't possibly be the end, no way, no way, no way." But it was. Argh.

Extremely impressive sets. They filmed it in one or two castles, legit castles, that were replete with unimaginably intricate, extensive, super impressive art everywhere to the nines. OK. Drama galore, but Wikipedia calls this a "black comedy." If I'd seen this characterization going in I might have enjoyed it more, had a different reaction. Just a thought. Sure, there was sex, there was nudity, there was strong language, all that stuff that makes a movie R rated. And it was sexy, but always kinky sexy. Wasn't sure I knew what was going on, but I read the Wikipedia plot summary afterward and yeah, I knew.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Avengers: Endgame 7/10

I don't get why all the praise. Yes it's a good movie, but nothing extraordinary. I liked Infinity War better. It had better pacing, better fights and it was more coherent. Still, Endgame had 2 or 3 really awesome moments.

Final Space Season 1 8.5/10

Binged the whole season. If you get past the first 1-2 eps you're in for a treat. I liked how though all the action it tried to teach the value of friendship.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Avengers: Endgame 7/10

I don't get why all the praise. Yes it's a good movie, but nothing extraordinary. I liked Infinity War better. It had better pacing, better fights and it was more coherent. Still, Endgame had 2 or 3 really awesome moments.

Same here. Our kids didn't have school on Wednesday, so we all went and watched it. I actually was fighting off falling asleep for the first 45 minutes or so because of the slow pace. It was a decent movie, but nothing great. Infinity War was much better IMO.

The Shape of Water - 8/10

I never rented it because of middling reviews, but just watched it on HBO. I really enjoyed it. A little odd (like most Guillermo del Toro movies), but the characters were all interesting and entertaining. I was surprised on how much nudity he worked into it. :cool:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The Shape of Water - 8/10

I never rented it because of middling reviews, but just watched it on HBO. I really enjoyed it. A little odd (like most Guillermo del Toro movies), but the characters were all interesting and entertaining. I was surprised on how much nudity he worked into it. :cool:

Middling reviews? The critics loved it. It got 13 Academy Award nominations and won Best Picture, among others. It got 7 Golden Globe nominations. Even for audience, it has a solid 73% on RT and 7.3 on IMDB. If that's middling, I'd like to know what's good or great.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Middling reviews? The critics loved it. It got 13 Academy Award nominations and won Best Picture, among others. It got 7 Golden Globe nominations. Even for audience, it has a solid 73% on RT and 7.3 on IMDB. If that's middling, I'd like to know what's good or great.

I can't remember what reviews it was I read when it was released, but they weren't glowing ones at the time.

That said, I never really even looked into it again until I watched it. I had no idea it was even nominated for any awards since I don't really pay attention to Golden Globe awards or the Oscars anymore after watching 'A Ghost Story' which was supposed to be so awesome.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I can't remember what reviews it was I read when it was released, but they weren't glowing ones at the time.

That said, I never really even looked into it again until I watched it. I had no idea it was even nominated for any awards since I don't really pay attention to Golden Globe awards or the Oscars anymore after watching 'A Ghost Story' which was supposed to be so awesome.

Maybe you are thinking of The Lady in the Water? When M Night started going downhill...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Maybe you are thinking of The Lady in the Water? When M Night started going downhill...

It could have been. It's been a few years, so it could be very well I remembered the reviews of that movie.

Regardless, the movie 'The Shape of Water' is a really good movie, so if someone hasn't watched it, it's definitely worth a look. :)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Cold Pursuit -- 6.5-7/10

The trailers kind of made this look like "Taken" in the snowy Colorado mountains, and while it had some ideas of that, it wasn't really that close of a clone, imo anyway. There was a (dark) comedy element to it that I don't remember seeing in the trailers, either.

It's less action than I expected, with less Liam Neeson kicking ass than I expected, but it was ok.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Cold Pursuit -- 6.5-7/10

The trailers kind of made this look like "Taken" in the snowy Colorado mountains, and while it had some ideas of that, it wasn't really that close of a clone, imo anyway. There was a (dark) comedy element to it that I don't remember seeing in the trailers, either.

It's less action than I expected, with less Liam Neeson kicking ass than I expected, but it was ok.
Best part of that movie was the spectacular scenery.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Blues Brothers (1980) 8.5/10

Yeah, I never saw it before, guess you could say I avoided it. How could I NOT have seen this movie? I figured it was kind of exploitative and beyond that I did not have a TV until 9 years after it was made, so Saturday Night Live meant next to nothing to me. I was, however, very into contemporary music because I became a college radio DJ in the year the movie was made, and still am.

To me, the best scene (there are many great scenes in this movie, and they didn't hold back, they ran with everything, it seems) was the car chase early on in the mall. It had me howling with laughter.

I'm usually quite bored during car chase scenes, always have been, but the ones later in this movie are really astonishing.

I have no more favorite film critic than Roger Ebert. He was in his hay-day back then and besides, Roger is from Chicago so his take on this is legit:

Roger Ebert's review in Cinemania:
- - -
The Blues Brothers
US (1980): Comedy
Roger Ebert Review: 3.0 stars out of 4

130 min, Rated R, Color, Available on videocassette and laserdisc

THE BLUES BROTHERS is the Sherman tank of musicals. When it was being filmed in Chicago in 1979—with dozens of cars piling up in intersections, caroming down Lake Shore Drive and crashing through the Daley Center—it seemed less like a film than a war. The movie feels the same way. It's a big, raucous powerhouse that proves against all the odds that if you're loud enough, vulgar enough, and have enough raw energy, you can make a steamroller into a musical, and vise versa.

This is some weird movie. There's never been anything that looked quite like it; was it dreamed up in a junkyard? It stars John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd as the Blues Brothers, Jake and Elwood, characters who were created on "Saturday Night Live" and took on a fearsome life of their own. The movie tells us something of their backgrounds: They were reared in a sadistic West Side orphanage, learned the blues by osmosis, and, as the movie opens, have teamed up again after Jake's release from the Joliet pen.

The movie's plot is a simple one, to put it mildly. The brothers visit their old orphanage, learn that its future is in jeopardy because of five thousand dollars due in back taxes, and determine to raise the money by getting their old band together and putting on a show. Their odyssey takes them to several sleazy Chicago locations, including a Van Buren flophouse, Maxwell Street, and lower Wacker Drive. They find their old friends in unlikely places, like a restaurant run by Aretha Franklin, a music shop run by Ray Charles, and a gospel church run by James Brown.

Their adventures include run-ins with suburban cops, good ol' boys, and Nazis who are trying to stage a demonstration. One of the intriguing things about this movie is the way it borrows so freely and literally from news events. The plot develops into a sort of musical MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, with the Blues Brothers being pursued at the same time by avenging cops, Nazis, and an enraged country and western band led by Charles Napier, that character actor with the smile like Jaws. The chase is interrupted from time to time for musical numbers, which are mostly very good and filled with high-powered energy.

Aretha Franklin occupies one of the movie's best scenes, in her South Side soul food restaurant. Cab Calloway, as a sort of road manager for the Blues Brothers, struts through a wonderful old-style production of MINNIE THE MOOCHER. The Brothers themselves star in several improbable numbers; the funniest has the band playing in a country and western bar where wire mesh has been installed to protect the band from beer bottles thrown by the customers.

I was saying the musical numbers interrupt the chases. The fact is, the whole movie is a chase, with Jake and Elwood piloting a used police car that seems, as it hurdles across suspension bridges from one side to the other, to have a life of its own. There can rarely have been a movie that made so free with its locations as this one. There are incredible, sensational chase sequences under the elevated train tracks, on overpasses, in subway tunnels under the Loop, and literally through Daley Center. One crash in particular, a pileup involving maybe a dozen police cars, has to be seen to be believed: I've never seen stunt coordination like this before.

What's a little startling about this movie is that all of this works. THE BLUES BROTHERS cost untold millions of dollars and kept threatening to grow completely out of control. But director John Landis (of ANIMAL HOUSE) has somehow pulled it together, with a good deal of help from the strongly defined personalities of the title characters. Belushi and Aykroyd come over as hard-boiled city guys, total cynics with a world-view of sublime simplicity, and that all fits perfectly with the movie's other parts. There's even room, in the midst of the carnage and mayhem, for a surprising amount of grace, humor, and whimsy.

Reactions: stargazr

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 8/10

I like it more than most, and I try to rewatch it every time it comes around on a streaming service. There's not much that needs to be debated about it that hasn't already been discussed to death. You either connected with it or you didn't. I thought the story was fine.

The fact the film begins with a musical overture to a black screen is such a nice touch, IMO. I can't recall any other movies that do that off of the top of my head.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thor : Ragnarok 3/10 wtf was that?
Antman & The Wasp 5/10 a little better than Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.