NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 715 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
So many different emotions watching that concentration camp footage. Unreal what humans can do to other humans. I should go turn in my German car.

If you're going to adopt that mindset, you'd best turn in any goods made in pretty much any developed country, as they've committed atrocities at some point in their history.

My impression of most Germans these days however is that the Nazi era is still a burden they feel they have to carry the shame of. As opposed to say many British people who feel that the empire was something to be vaguely proud of.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you're going to adopt that mindset, you'd best turn in any goods made in pretty much any developed country, as they've committed atrocities at some point in their history.

My impression of most Germans these days however is that the Nazi era is still a burden they feel they have to carry the shame of. As opposed to say many British people who feel that the empire was something to be vaguely proud of.
That does not surprise me.

Hey, it's hard for me to imagine "pretty much any developed country" having committed atrocities on a par with what the Nazis did from, say, 1935-1945. I'll be unhappy to change my mind, but it is open, enlighten me.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Halloween (2018) - 7/10 - this movie was very close to being like a 9/10 but there is one part towards the end that had me going "really?" and I kind of saw it coming but really hoped it wasn't going to happen, but it did. Other than that though, I thought it was great. The music and sound is awesome and very Halloween'ish. So is the camera work with scenes filmed like you're looking into someones window of their home. Just really well done. And Michael Myers was a complete badass in this movie.

Reactions: ImpulsE69

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That does not surprise me.

Hey, it's hard for me to imagine "pretty much any developed country" having committed atrocities on a par with what the Nazis did from, say, 1935-1945. I'll be unhappy to change my mind, but it is open, enlighten me.

This really belongs in another thread, but if you want just a taste read the wikipedia article on atrocities. It is hard to find a country that has not committed an atrocity on a mass scale. For example King Leopold II of Belgium had murdered somewhere in the realm of 10 million Congolese people between 1885 to 1908.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This really belongs in another thread, but if you want just a taste read the wikipedia article on atrocities. It is hard to find a country that has not committed an atrocity on a mass scale. For example King Leopold II of Belgium had murdered somewhere in the realm of 10 million Congolese people between 1885 to 1908.
If all these "developed" nations committed atrocities on the scale and heinous nature of those perpetrated by the Nazis I absolutely and without a doubt have to adopt and maintain a very dim view of human nature. Signed, Muse. And I'll be goddamned if I refrain from saying so just because it offends your sensibilities that these ideas/sentiments seem to you to belong in another thread.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
If all these "developed" nations committed atrocities on the scale and heinous nature of those perpetrated by the Nazis I absolutely and without a doubt have to adopt and maintain a very dim view of human nature. Signed, Muse.

I agree, you should. Humans are terrible. The only thing really unique about the holocaust was how well documented it was.

And I'll be goddamned if I refrain from saying so just because it offends your sensibilities that these ideas/sentiments seem to you to belong in another thread.

I just mean that it belong in another thread because it is actually worth discussing and people are going to get a bit miffed at a long discussion about historical atrocities in a movie review thread.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hunter Killer 8/10

I have a soft spot for submarine movies, and though it was well done, got a little bit of a hunt for red October vibe to it. Worth watching for sure. I hope the 4k release is an actual 4k release.

Reactions: clamum

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I agree, you should. Humans are terrible. The only thing really unique about the holocaust was how well documented it was.

I just mean that it belong in another thread because it is actually worth discussing and people are going to get a bit miffed at a long discussion about historical atrocities in a movie review thread.
Very well, I'm going to roll up my sleeves and dig into the atrocities link at Wikipedia. I hope my nightmares are reasonably tolerable.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mowgli - 8/10 - wow this movie was really good. It was better than I anticipated and it's basically a Jungle Book story for adults. No singing or kiddie stuff and it's dark and gritty. I liked the style of it with the animals and while the CGI wasn't the best I've ever seen, it felt like it fit the style of the movie.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Night Will Fall - 8/10. I got the original documentary, or at least the finished/restored version of it, so I'll watch that at some point, but I'm good for now. The images of the emaciated bodies being thrown into the pits like ragdolls will always stay with me.

Anyone who is a Holocaust denier and/or neo-Nazi should be forced to watch all the horrible atrocities until they accept it and change themselves. Kind of like A Clockwork Orange.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
IO 3/10
Another Netflix film that sucked. Interesting premise but it so boring and nothing happens.
Bah that sucks. I saw part of the preview for it last night and it seemed like I might like it. I think I'll give it a shot still but my hopes have been tempered somewhat haha.

I really wanna see that restored footage World War I documentary, "We Shall Not Grow Old" or whatever it's called. I guess it's not available yet; I looked it up on Google Play Movies and they had it on there for pre-order still, like $23.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
IO 3/10
Another Netflix film that sucked. Interesting premise but it so boring and nothing happens.

yeah, IO is slow. Went on and on and nothing. Could see the ending coming a mile off also.

Just in case:
NOW, where do they go from here? No other humans to continue the race anyway. Maybe its like the bible where Cain goes to another settlement that came out of nowhere. Thats what she should have named the kid, Cain.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Hell or High Water Netflix 7.5/10

Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges. Oddly satisfying tale of Texas life and bank robbery. Jeff Bridges is highly amusing and the story isnt bad either.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Halloween (2018) - 5/10. Felt really "meh" to me. Hearing a teen girl constantly saying "Grandmother" instead of "Grandma" made me go wtf. And long-haired Jamie Lee Curtis looks like Carol from TWD.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
You, on Netflix. 9/10. Just a really good show about a guy who stalks a girl. In this climate, surprising it was made. But it is just a tv show. The narration was great. Lots of twists and a big cliff hanger at the end. Just a really good show, hard to stop watching.

Close, on Netflix. 7.5/10. Staring Noomi Rapacr, from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, foreign version (best version) and Indra Varma from GoT. Woman bodyguard in the Middle East, contract job. Gets a job protecting a young female, when everything blows up. I enjoyed the action, acting, and overall story. Nothing super great, but I'm partial to Noomi.

Nightflyers on SYFY. 5/10. Just terrible. So much potential. First few episodes were good, then just got dumb. Ending is terrible. I can't believe they're going to make another series. Can't even explain how disappointed, especially with George R.R. Martin heavily involved.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You (netflix) - 8/10 - Binged this show. Dark thriller/drama. Apparently it was originally a Lifetime show....but it does not look like it in story or production. It is the story from the perspective of a 'clever' stalker. It is down right creepy and mostly plausible. There was one key piece that repeatedly happened that I had an issue with, but I let it go being it is a show and it was minor in the grand scheme of things. There are some characters that you downright hate that makes you want to route for the stalker with some guilt :) Won't give too much away, but it doesn't end at all like I thought it would.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Last Laugh 6.5/10
eh it is ok, a good background movie. Chevy Chase and Richard Drefuss are both good in it and it is cute.

Grace and Frankie season 5 is up
Only watched 3 episodes so far so I don't want to rate it but I like it.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Blinded by the lights - 7.5/10 HBO crime series that spans over seven days of the life of a drug dealer. Things start tidy only to get really messy at the end. The guy goes from complete control over his life to complete chaos. Overall good series, but Gomorrah is WAY better.

Avatar extended edition 9/10. The CGI doesn't quite hold up that good. Saw it in 3 sessions of 1 hr each. Very enjoyable movie.

Bumblebee 5/10. Couldn't stand to watch it ti'll the end. This is a movie for teens or for fans of the series. If you're not one of them, don't bother.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I finally watched Unbreakable since Glass is coming out in a couple weeks.
8/10

Looks like I have to watch Split as well.
Dammit.

I saw Glass on Saturday, I give it 7/10. I was worried about the low RT score (currently 37%), but I think they got it wrong this time. It's not a perfect movie but I thought it was a very good conclusion to the trilogy (Unbreakable/Split/Glass). Also notice that the RT audience score is 79%. It's a shame that Shyamalan had to self-fund these, I wonder what he could have done with more budget.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Narcotics: Pit of Despair. 8/10

Short movie you can watch. I love the 60s anti drug stuff they are so preposterous.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Ashes in the snow -- Very depressing movie about the russian gulags during 1941. Worth a watch.

Bumblebee-- Very fun movie.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Ashes in the snow -- Very depressing movie about the russian gulags during 1941. Worth a watch.

Bumblebee-- Very fun movie.

Why are the limited release movies so much more expensive to watch? 7 bucks to watch Ashes. Looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.