NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 712 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The new interactive Black Mirror Bandersnatch episode on Netflix. It's excellent!

If you played choose your own adventure games or read those kind of books when you were a kid, you'll get some bonus nostalgia points out of this one. 10/10 for sure!

Not sure I'd go 10/10 but it was really fun. This is one of those thing you just need to do if it sounds at all interesting to you. Don't read anything about it and just do it.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Bandersnatch Netflix ?/10

WTF? Just WTF.
I get it but just not entertaining for me. IMHO just aggravating. Think Ill go watch Bird Brain again. People seem to love that one too.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Predator - 5/10 - it started out pretty fun and entertaining although a bit silly, but I was enjoying it. Then it just got even dumber and the whole group of guys is just kind of stupid since they are all like rejects and mental. Just an overall silly movie not even really worth watching if you are a Predator fan.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Equalizer 2 - 4/10 - just a bad movie that was all over the place. And then there is some random hurricane at the end of the movie which made absolutely no sense. Bad movie is bad.

i dont even remember the movie thought it was pretty good def better than birdbox ;) but i did watch birdbox because you gave it 9/10 and wow it was not so great. No real end at all, the only thing it had going for it was that it was shot with professional equipment unlike most B movies.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The Predator - 7/10. I liked it, so sue me. Didn't take itself seriously and the humor was great. I might have given it a higher score if Mrs. Waterford had more screen time. :p

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I did like some of the humor in The Predator too especially on the bus when Key was making the mom jokes.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Meh, I was pretty underwhelmed by the new Black Mirror movie/episode. I wish it would've been just a regular full season. I'd give Bandersnatch maybe 6.5/10. To me it seemed more like an excuse to use, or to test out, Netflix's interactive mechanism. The movie itself was kinda meh too, boring old trope of multiple realities (didn't seem like there was even much of that anyway). I do like the main actor though. I thought he looked familiar but couldn't place him until I saw his name; he was in Dunkirk. Also I thought his therapist was hot, probably my favorite part of the episode.

Sounds like I'll have to check out Bird Box. I've kept hearing about the damn thing, and saw that it broke some Netflix viewing record(s). I had no idea what it was about until I searched it earlier this morning; post-apoc fiction is right up my alley. And Sandra Bullock... do want x 9001.

Reactions: bigi

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Mortal Engines - 7/10

I don't really like that the plot relied heavily on the search for a McGuffin, but I really liked the Steam Punk vibe and the SFX.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Birdbox was OK... it almost feels like A Quiet Place tribute movie to me. I'd give it a 7/10.

Maybe it would have been better if it was interactive like Bandersnatch :)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Finally got around to watching Hidden Figures - decent movie 7/10.

Edit after reading @SKORPI0 comments and link below :confused_old:

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Always Shine - 7.5/10. Pretty weird and uncomfortable but great acting. I've mentioned this before but I'll watch anything with Mackenzie Davis. :hearteyes:

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Meh, I was pretty underwhelmed by the new Black Mirror movie/episode. I wish it would've been just a regular full season. I'd give Bandersnatch maybe 6.5/10. To me it seemed more like an excuse to use, or to test out, Netflix's interactive mechanism. The movie itself was kinda meh too, boring old trope of multiple realities (didn't seem like there was even much of that anyway). I do like the main actor though. I thought he looked familiar but couldn't place him until I saw his name; he was in Dunkirk. Also I thought his therapist was hot, probably my favorite part of the episode.

I agree. It was a huge disappointment. If this is how things are with whole Black Mirror series, it is a major downturn for me. It was cool to see few things/settings from the 80's but overall 6/10.

Reactions: clamum

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Bird Box -- 7/10 Couldn't decide between 6.5 or 7 so I rounded up. I enjoyed it but not quite as much as A Quiet Place, which I thought was really great. But overall I thought Bird Box was pretty good and would recommend it to those that like post-apoc fiction.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I agree. It was a huge disappointment. If this is how things are with whole Black Mirror series, it is a major downturn for me. It was cool to see few things/settings from the 80's but overall 6/10.

That is about exactly how I see it. I may watch it again to get a different series of events. I have plenty of time at work now it seems. I enjoyed the nostalgia of the time it was set, the acting wasnt terrible, but overall just felt meh afterwards.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
That is about exactly how I see it. I may watch it again to get a different series of events. I have plenty of time at work now it seems. I enjoyed the nostalgia of the time it was set, the acting wasnt terrible, but overall just felt meh afterwards.

Have you seen the San Junipero episode? If you like nostalgia (or just really freaking good Black Mirror episodes), definitely check that one out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Bandersnatch Netflix ?/10

WTF? Just WTF.
I get it but just not entertaining for me. IMHO just aggravating. Think Ill go watch Bird Brain again. People seem to love that one too.

Yeah, I didn't like it at all. Black Mirror is great because of the tight writing, extremely focused plotting and editing. This format just wrecks it (and yeah, you have to make many wrong choices to "get it"...which is still what wrecks this project). It's almost as bad as the actual choose your own adventure books. There's a reason that format failed--they were utter shit.

I'm guessing this will fail too, just like 3D. Humans just have too short memories or simply no appreciation of why bad ideas fail, despite how many times you try it again, just because "it just wasn't done right the first/last dozen time(s)!" We don't need interactive TV content. We just don't. Do your job, and write a cohesive story. It's your job to edit out the crap and piece together something solid out of a bunch of junk. Stop trying to convince the audience that they want to do your work for you. They "think" they do, but they will inevitably be bored by it or just hate it. It always happens.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I didn't like it at all. Black Mirror is great because of the tight writing, extremely focused plotting and editing. This format just wrecks it (and yeah, you have to make many wrong choices to "get it"...which is still what wrecks this project). It's almost as bad as the actual choose your own adventure books. There's a reason that format failed--they were utter shit.

I'm guessing this will fail too, just like 3D. Humans just have too short memories or simply no appreciation of why bad ideas fail, despite how many times you try it again, just because "it just wasn't done right the first/last dozen time(s)!" We don't need interactive TV content. We just don't. Do your job, and write a cohesive story. It's your job to edit out the crap and piece together something solid out of a bunch of junk. Stop trying to convince the audience that they want to do your work for you. They "think" they do, but they will inevitably be bored by it or just hate it. It always happens.

Ah, come on... I LIKED the "choose your own adventure" books when I was a kid, and I also liked text based adventure games like King's Quest. This episode nailed both those concepts for me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ah, come on... I LIKED the "choose your own adventure" books when I was a kid, and I also liked text based adventure games like King's Quest. This episode nailed both those concepts for me.

The only reason that I would agree to such nonsense is if you give me a coolcoin, but we both know that isn't happening. :D

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Yep tons of people liked them. It isn't any different than 'getting all the endings' in video games. You either like it or you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.