NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 704 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
T2 is better than T1
T1 was filmed in a time when the hero was THE HERO and the bad guy would shoot at him but THE HERO would duck or dodge and if THE HERO got a rip on his shirt sleeve, that was as close as he would get to death or injury.
T1 is afaik the first scifi in which the bad guy is as strong, if not stronger than the protagonist. And it's debatable WHO the protagonist is, Reese, Sarah Connor, or just the terminator itself. A film where THE BAD GUY IS THE HERO ?!?! UNTHINKABLE !!
T2 doesnt have any of that. Im even willing to ignore the "dont kill anyone" buffoonery, it's just the lack of this role reversal that makes T2 inferior to T1.

I guess, if T1 never existed, T2 would win more points from me; Schwartzie's performance is undoubtedly better, even with the cheesy ending.

Reactions: Feneant2

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
T1 was filmed in a time when the hero was THE HERO and the bad guy would shoot at him but THE HERO would duck or dodge and if THE HERO got a rip on his shirt sleeve, that was as close as he would get to death or injury.
T1 is afaik the first scifi in which the bad guy is as strong, if not stronger than the protagonist. And it's debatable WHO the protagonist is, Reese, Sarah Connor, or just the terminator itself. A film where THE BAD GUY IS THE HERO ?!?! UNTHINKABLE !!
T2 doesnt have any of that. Im even willing to ignore the "dont kill anyone" buffoonery, it's just the lack of this role reversal that makes T2 inferior to T1.

I guess, if T1 never existed, T2 would win more points from me; Schwartzie's performance is undoubtedly better, even with the cheesy ending.

The role reversal and the unexpectedness of it is what I liked. It was completely against the grain for the time, although we all know (now) that it was only because he was so popular at the time. But like I say, it wouldn't work without T1 because of that.

I mean, how many other movies had taken the bad guy (and yes, he WAS the bad guy in T1 - the screenplay was simply set out in a way that you didn't immediately know) and made him the good guy? That is quite a feat. It's not at all the same cheese as taking the good guy and making him the bad guy (which is quite common).

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Haven't watched T2 for over 10 years, T1 for over 5 years. Can't comment.

I'll try to keep an open mind about Alien, maybe it will work for me again if I do. I do own the 2 disk collector's edition (for Aliens too). I'll refile them for now.

Sep 29, 2004
A Star is Born - 5/10

I'm sorry, but what the hell is all the hype? I saw this on a whim with a date. I never researched it so I thought it was a musical.

As a musical, well it wasn't one. And the music was shit. Ya, I ge it..... the music was great. NO! The "live" music was all done in a studio where auto voice was applied and it was all highly polished. It was crap.

As for the drama, it was decent drama. But it was just the typical Hollywood formula. And the ending was dumb as hell.

To validate my thoughts, at some point there was a serious scene that was so absurd that I thought it was stupid. My thoughts were validated when the two teenage girls behind me actually started laughing.

My date also thought it was meh.

Reactions: Muse
Sep 29, 2004
Haven't watched T2 for over 10 years, T1 for over 5 years. Can't comment.

I'll try to keep an open mind about Alien, maybe it will work for me again if I do. I do own the 2 disk collector's edition (for Aliens too). I'll refile them for now.

T2: Awesome but even I have a hard time watching it these days. Same for T1. Not that they are not spectacular movies. It's just that I can only see the same movie so many times before being bored of it. When you know every line to a movie I guess it's time to move on.

Alien is a tough pill to swallow. Honestly, if you are not enveloped by the movie (big screen, good home theater, pitch black room) it's hard to get into. If this is being watched on a 32" TV with the TV for sound it will suck. But the movie is so damned good! Same for Alien 2. Alien 3 is good but there is a specific cut you need to see. The theatrical release of Alien 3 is widely accepted as bad. There is a cut that people love though. It's on the quadrilogy (I have it)

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Like I said before a lot of love comes from nostalgia. Movies are like video games we remember from our youths.

T1/T2 are both great movies for different reasons.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
T1 =Amazing story
T2 = Where the T stands for "Teenage Angst"- I wish they'd just let John Connor die.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
As a kid/teen I thought T2 was far better than T1, but as an adult I feel like T1 might just edge it out. Maybe not, though. T2 is the action movie.

They're not even in the same genre. They're both sci-fi, but T1 is more horror/drama/thriller while T2 is pure action.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Uptown Theater DC+ Huge screen + Awesome audio system + T1 + Two hits of windowpane = several freaked out people. Will never forget walking out of the movie late at night thinking we were being stalked by Aliens.

Aug 11, 2008
A Star is Born - 5/10

I'm sorry, but what the hell is all the hype? I saw this on a whim with a date. I never researched it so I thought it was a musical.

As a musical, well it wasn't one. And the music was shit. Ya, I ge it..... the music was great. NO! The "live" music was all done in a studio where auto voice was applied and it was all highly polished. It was crap.

As for the drama, it was decent drama. But it was just the typical Hollywood formula. And the ending was dumb as hell.

To validate my thoughts, at some point there was a serious scene that was so absurd that I thought it was stupid. My thoughts were validated when the two teenage girls behind me actually started laughing.

My date also thought it was meh.
Well, it was based on a previous movie, so the plot options were limited. I though it was an enjoyable movie. Worth it for Lady Gaga's performance alone. I agree with the ending though. I like this movie better than the original, but not the ending.

Sep 29, 2004
T1 - Amazing sci-fi/horror movie
T2 - Amazing action movie

Everything Terminator after these was an attempt at action that will never live up to T2. However, I did love The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The problem was the first season being during the writers strike so the scripts couldn't be modified.

I am hoping that T6 (2019) is not crap. But let's be real. It's not going to be a T1 or T2. Its supposed to be a "stand alone" planned trilogy. And I bet that T7 and T8 never happen after it flops. Want it to be good? Make it original somehow and make it rated R and make it a true sci-fi/horror movie. But that's not going to happen.

Reactions: DigDog
Sep 29, 2004
Well, it was based on a previous movie, so the plot options were limited. I though it was an enjoyable movie. Worth it for Lady Gaga's performance alone. I agree with the ending though. I like this movie better than the original, but not the ending.

What was so great about her performance?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979) 6/10

Aliens (James Cameron, 1986) 9/10

Aliens isn't exactly a remake of Alien, but it can almost be called a reboot. Different director (Cameron vs. Ridley), same star heroin, same formula and many of the plot lines are carried forward. Technically it starts where Alien finished. And Aliens >>> Alien. I watched the former last night, the latter the night before. I hope I never watch Alien again. Aliens really is pretty damned good.

I think quite the opposite. Not sure why anyone would consider it a reboot--it's obviously a direct sequel that follows on from Alien.

Alien is a true horror film, and Aliens is just a dumb action, lite sci-fi film. Both are entertaining, but I think Alien is much, much, much better.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
T1 - Amazing sci-fi/horror movie
T2 - Amazing action movie

Everything Terminator after these was an attempt at action that will never live up to T2. However, I did love The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The problem was the first season being during the writers strike so the scripts couldn't be modified.

I am hoping that T6 (2019) is not crap. But let's be real. It's not going to be a T1 or T2. Its supposed to be a "stand alone" planned trilogy. And I bet that T7 and T8 never happen after it flops. Want it to be good? Make it original somehow and make it rated R and make it a true sci-fi/horror movie. But that's not going to happen.

Pretty much. I actually liked T3 well enough, but it obviously wasn't anything like T2.

SCC was also really good, stupidly unappreciated by Fox, as usual.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think quite the opposite. Not sure why anyone would consider it a reboot--it's obviously a direct sequel that follows on from Alien.

Alien is a true horror film, and Aliens is just a dumb action, lite sci-fi film. Both are entertaining, but I think Alien is much, much, much better.
You might be at least partly right. I don't consider my opinions on movies solid gold. I have my moods. I think it's all but impossible to be an objective critic of movies across the board. The world in movies comes at you from so many unpredictable directions it's impossible to be ready for it all. It's like music that way. And the cliche (still tasty), one man's meat is another man's poison.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Aliens is certainly a really good film. I would have liked to say "A1 has depth and A2 doesnt" but that's simply not true; it has depth, but A2 belongs to that category of Monster Movie that is generally very shallow and the trope can be summarized thus:
1. A clearly visible monster with lots of detail and plenty of screentime
2. Action with both the monster and the hero doing a lot of damage
3. Generally a big showdown where the stronger monster is killed by wits or a gimmick
(T1 incidentally fallls right in the middle of this trope)

Because younger viewers love the monster, this style of film is mostly pandering to the easiest to please audience. Lots of work goes into the monster and action and very little work goes in the story. Due to the demands of how screentime is managed, and due to the characters suited for these plots, the result tends to be superficial rather than complex.

A1 is based on suspense - but also on a multitude of other factors which had never before existed of such quality in a scifi film.
As a thriller/horror, once you know the story, subsequent viewings will have a lessened impact, thats just the nature of the genre.
The most admirable traits of A1 ... hold on because we're gonna be here a while.

The excellent introduction, of the setting, the nostromo, the crew.
The casting, which successfully manages to NOT give away that "this is a film with a monster in it". A1 sets itself up a "serious" film.
The amazing storyboard, the alien spaceship, just about every set is groundbreaking.
The acting, with Ian Holm/Ash the android stealing the spotlight during the attack on ripley.
The pacing ... i want to say it's near perfect, with a bit of a wobble when they decide to fire up the shuttle.
..and frankly the direction is better.

What A1 suffers from, is that the Alien and the egg and facehugger, are so profundly ingrained in our culture, that the Alien film has already been spoiled for you even if you've never seen it. A1 depends on that surprise, that shock factor, that once you already know the surprise, you might not think of the reveal as the prize for having watched the slow, suspense-building parts.

I suppose A1 has gone down the same road that Citizen Kane has. :(

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
You need to google it.
The film had ENTIRELY been shot, ready to edit, using PRACTICAL effects.

Then some IDIOT said "naah, it looks too 80s, LETS RESHOOT THE WHOLE FILM USING CGI".

Not kidding. They had a decent film and reshot the whole thing because, you know, why would you want to be successful.

I actually still like 2011 The Thing because its clear it was so in love with the 1982 one. But it really bothers me that I won't ever get to see the practical effects version.

Status
Not open for further replies.