NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 700 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2006
I've been told a dozen times to watch it, but over the past month, I've finally sat down and gotten into Peaky Blinders (just wrapped up season 2)
Holy shit. What a flawless show. It hits every note for me.

And I will admit: Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy? I'm not gay but...

This is probably my fav show. But sadly you watched the best 2 seasons. I loved season 1, but i think season 2 might be the best. It is still good, but i think season 3 and 4 has lost some of its luster.

Hardy's character may be one of my favorite he has ever played. Such a fun evil bastard lol

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
This is probably my fav show. But sadly you watched the best 2 seasons. I loved season 1, but i think season 2 might be the best. It is still good, but i think season 3 and 4 has lost some of its luster.

Hardy's character may be one of my favorite he has ever played. Such a fun evil bastard lol

Well don't say that about 3 and 4! I'm sooooooooooo looking forward to watching them. I completely take my time with each episode as I don't want to half-ass it. I want to enjoy every episode. I'm sure even 75% of Peaky Blinders is better than 99% of everything else on TV.

I'm very much looking forward to season 2 of Taboo too.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
episodes 6-10 4/10
it got stupider.
especially after the bad guy is revealed. such a let down.
and why the hell is
a billionaire
working for the bad guy?!

also, they switched from trying to kill the star to making him commit suicide via blackmail to throw off suspicion.
then they capture him and throw him in a room with another guy. that guy's there to
take the fall because no one is going to believe he committed suicide.
so why bother even trying?! just murder him outright. sheesh.

btw- is it me or was the acting of that Asian chick is really really bad?

such great premise.
but I have more desire to see season 2 of this show then Jessica Jones. :eek:
Lucky Man (Season 2): first half 8/10, second half 6/10

It's a series created by Marvel's Stan Lee:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee's_Lucky_Man

Just like Season 1, started off great.
and just like season 1, went downhill during the last few episodes. but nowhere as bad as season 1.

so there's a 2nd Lucky bracelet, worn by a woman.
all goes well when the star (Harry) and the woman become an item.
then he breaks it off.

then the show starts to decline.
she starts dating the Harry's boss to use him.
but I don't understand her motivation for why she is using him for that.

the end of this season is better than the end of Season 1.
there's some sense to it, where as the later episodes of Season 1 was WTFBBQ?!

Nov 29, 2006
Well don't say that about 3 and 4! I'm sooooooooooo looking forward to watching them. I completely take my time with each episode as I don't want to half-ass it. I want to enjoy every episode. I'm sure even 75% of Peaky Blinders is better than 99% of everything else on TV.

I'm very much looking forward to season 2 of Taboo too.

I almost want to rewatch season 2 right now just for that finale lol

Or he’ll just hearing the intro song will do .

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Lucky Man (Season 2): first half 8/10, second half 6/10

It's a series created by Marvel's Stan Lee:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee's_Lucky_Man

Just like Season 1, started off great.
and just like season 1, went downhill during the last few episodes. but nowhere as bad as season 1.

so there's a 2nd Lucky bracelet, worn by a woman.
all goes well when the star (Harry) and the woman become an item.
then he breaks it off.

then the show starts to decline.
she starts dating the Harry's boss to use him.
but I don't understand her motivation for why she is using him for that.

the end of this season is better than the end of Season 1.
there's some sense to it, where as the later episodes of Season 1 was WTFBBQ?!
Lucky man (Season 3): 6.5/10

unlike the previous 2 seasons where it starts off strong then fades, this one was bad starting episode 1.

british cop takes charge of the situation in Hong Kong and the hong kong detective in charge doesn't say anything?
close range firefight and neither side hits anyone?!

in later episodes, we find out the main bad guy works for
the British govt as a senior Agent.

the plot is near implausible..meh

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The Evil Within - WTF/10 - This film took 15 years to make, you can see the actors age. The director, and 2 of the actors died before it came out. That being said, it's a good wtf horror movie. Some of the cinematography is pretty cool. Some of the acting is cringy, but not horrible. It also has the FRAAANCH FRIIIESS lady from Better Off Dead who I've never seen in another movie, as well as that 7' guy who was also in It Follows (i think). It's about a handicapped guy who gets possessed(?) and goes on a murder spree. Overall it is quite enjoyable.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Scorpion King : Book of Souls Netflix 7+/10

Dont laugh, normally I would never admit to watching a film like this but what a guilty pleasure. If you like movies of this genre you will like this one. Good cast, interesting locations (Filmed in South Africa) and cinematography, some humor and a plausible (?) story. Oh yeah.

Reactions: DigDog

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
For all you unbelivers who say TBBT is not funny:
Here is even more proof why it's NOT funny. Here's a clip without the laugh track. I didn't even watch your clip because I know it sucks and I can't even make it through the one I linked either.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Here is even more proof why it's NOT funny. Here's a clip without the laugh track. I didn't even watch your clip because I know it sucks and I can't even make it through the one I linked either.

Honestly, there hasn't been a good network comedy TV show since... The Office/Parks and Rec/30 Rock

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Honestly, there hasn't been a good network comedy TV show since... The Office/Parks and Rec/30 Rock
I like Modern Family still but I really only catch random repeats on USA or something when I'm bored. I wasn't a fan of any of those shows you mentioned. I disliked The Office and just never really paid any attention to the other 2.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I like Modern Family still but I really only catch random repeats on USA or something when I'm bored. I wasn't a fan of any of those shows you mentioned. I disliked The Office and just never really paid any attention to the other 2.
1st couple of seasons of Modern Family were pretty good. Dropped it after that though (shocker - shows gets worse as the "cute" little kids get older)
30 Rock is one of the best comedies ever IMO and Parks and Rec is up there too. My wife and I put them on shuffle nearly every night while we lay in bed, catch up on the day and wind down,

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Funny - I did not buy into that show when it first aired. But, due to the overwhelming support it got (and specifically from a few people whom opinions I take into account) I gave it a shot over this past summer. I watched every episode. It was certainly a pleasant surprise. Ironically, Sandberg was the worst part.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Funny - I did not buy into that show when it first aired. But, due to the overwhelming support it got (and specifically from a few people whom opinions I take into account) I gave it a shot over this past summer. I watched every episode. It was certainly a pleasant surprise. Ironically, Sandberg was the worst part.

Yeah he's pretty weak compared to everyone else, especially Andre Braugher.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Was Super Troopers 2 good? I enjoyed the first one. There's really nothing at Redbox I want to see but that's an old one I never got back when it came out. I'm probably gonna rent that or Upgrade.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Was Super Troopers 2 good? I enjoyed the first one. There's really nothing at Redbox I want to see but that's an old one I never got back when it came out. I'm probably gonna rent that or Upgrade.

It was quite lame compared to the first one. I did not laugh out loud once. First one is solid gold by comparison.

Nov 29, 2006

I didn’t enjoy it. Not sure I really laughed much. Upgrade was good though.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I grabbed Upgrade over Super Troopers 2 while I was just out so sounds like I made the right decision.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

I am pretty sure Hardy thinks he is from that era, he played that role so fucking well.

Status
Not open for further replies.