NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 699 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If you think those are hidden gems and you only watched them last week, then I'm going to have to assume you are in Generation Z and you dont know how a rotary phone even works.
I just hadn't seen them before. I'm slowly catching up on movies and books I missed when I was younger.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ah you truly are people of culture.

I also watched the modern and "classic" version (which isnt the actual original release). Quite a feat as the ...

You know what, i want to take back the previous statement.

Instead ill say that i watched it 3 times but i have no idead WHAT version i watched.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/alternateversions
One had the Queen-led soundtrack (great album btw)
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL766ED64FB99EF791
One had a typical b&w generic music score.
And the third i do not remember. And they probably had 3 different runtimes.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
George Lucas endorsed The Mandalorian:

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/...its-jon-favreau-on-the-set-of-the-mandalorean

Disney stock plummets overnight!

b9b71df628d3c83446d445ac8a968844a201a329_full.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ah you truly are people of culture.

I also watched the modern and "classic" version (which isnt the actual original release). Quite a feat as the ...

You know what, i want to take back the previous statement.

Instead ill say that i watched it 3 times but i have no idead WHAT version i watched.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/alternateversions
One had the Queen-led soundtrack (great album btw)
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL766ED64FB99EF791
One had a typical b&w generic music score.
And the third i do not remember. And they probably had 3 different runtimes.

I watched it in a theatre. of course rerun, I am not that old :p

And of course Nosferatu (1922), but that was on tv

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Noooo

I admit defeat; i have never watched Nosferatu. Or Cabinet Of Doctor Caligary.
Never had the time or the mindset to get into those 100-year old films. I wanted to, but i find i need to be in a special state of mind to appreciate them.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Heck...even I've watched Cabinet of Doctor Caligary! Also, I love Metropolis.

Agreed though, I have to be in the mindset to watch really old stuff, even more recent B&W stuff.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Halloween 2018- I’d rate this a 7.5/10. The ending is a little cliche, and the kills are a bit too brutal compared to the original. Is Michael making up for lost time in this sequel with the brutality and creativity of his kills? There was also a few parts I really scratched my head at. Overall solid though

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The Big Sick - 7/10

Romantic comedy with a pretty solid cast. Everyone does well in their roles I think, and overall it's better than the norm for this genre IMO.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Noooo

Never had the time or the mindset to get into those 100-year old films. I wanted to, but i find i need to be in a special state of mind to appreciate them.

Watch Shadow of the Vampire as well with Willem Dafoe as vampire.

Sep 29, 2004
I have not seen any Blade Runners. I tried watching the original one for the first time like 15 years ago and turned it off like 30 minutes in because it was boring as shit. I had no desire to watch the new one.

I'm 42. I've watched it once and even I'll admit that the movie is not that great. I think it's one of those movies that you really need to pay attention to and I don't think I was there on the day I gave it a shot.

Sep 29, 2004
The Haunting Of Hill House - This is a weird one. It's on Netflix. Apparently it is based on a book and having finished season one, I am actually interested in reading the book. Apparently the book is supposed to be one of the if not THE scariest book written in the past 100 years.

So, my review ....
episodes 1-2: 8/10
episodes 3-4: 5/10
episode 5: 10/10 (so worth getting to this episode)
Then it kinda drags and the rest is like a 5/10 and episode 10 just makes me mad for some reason.

I will give the show kuddos for one thing. There were alot of scenes that were done as single shots that lasted atleast a minute. And I have to tell you, for what the show is about if you watch scenes that are single shot and go between rooms with a keen eye, you will be rewarded!
As the camera repass an area things change.

So:
Cinematography/set design: A+
Acting: B+
Plot: A+ (This isn't horror, it's sci-fi horror)
Script: C (gets worse as the season drags on, needed to be more condensed)

Reactions: DigDog

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Friday the 13th Part 4 - 6.7/10. Better than Part 3, and the nudity is back! Hooray! Little Corey Feldman as kid-Jason is creepy as hell.

Big Trouble in Little China - 10/10. I can't really find any faults - hilarious, campy, full of action, Kurt Russell, and James Hong. You can't go wrong. If they made a pinball machine based off of this movie I'd probably buy it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Friday the 13th Part 4 - 6.7/10. Better than Part 3, and the nudity is back! Hooray! Little Corey Feldman as kid-Jason is creepy as hell.

Big Trouble in Little China - 10/10. I can't really find any faults - hilarious, campy, full of action, Kurt Russell, and James Hong. You can't go wrong. If they made a pinball machine based off of this movie I'd probably buy it.

You know there's a "reboot" on the way right?
http://collider.com/dwayne-johnson-big-trouble-in-little-china-sequel/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well Ford was a charmin mofo in the 70s and by far the most charismatic person in SW, followed by Vader (if you accept the mannerisms of one actors and the voice of another as "one" person), then Fisher, Guinness, Chewb/R2/C3 and finally that damp squib which is Mark Hamill.
It doesnt help that his character is "clueless hero" but i suspect he doesnt have much charisma to start with - look at his scenes in Jedi.

I take it you've at least seen Blade Runner ??

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Noooo

I "think" Caligary is only 27 minutes long or so. The FW Murnau Nosferatu is also relatively short, maybe 80 minutes or so...but it is fantastic. Never was a better vampire.

Much to my shame, I have not yet watched Herzog's version.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've been told a dozen times to watch it, but over the past month, I've finally sat down and gotten into Peaky Blinders (just wrapped up season 2)
Holy shit. What a flawless show. It hits every note for me.

And I will admit: Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy? I'm not gay but...

Status
Not open for further replies.