NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 698 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The Haunting of Hill House (series netflix) - 8/10 - When I saw the trailer for this I thought this is going to suck, I was wrong. I started seeing all the positive reviews, and then Steven King praised it so decided to give it a shot. It's a slow burner for sure, but the way they lay out the story kept my interest the entire time. It doesn't really follow the book at all, it's just loosely based on it. While it is about ghosts, I would say it is more of a mystery story than a horror story, as I felt I was asking more questions about things than I was tensed up or scared. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Thebobo

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Plan on seeing Halloween this weekend, will post review afterwards. Was a huge fan when I was a kid, first was by far the best as the sequels were crap. Who else is going to see this movie?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Dances With Wolves

after all the shit i've been ingesting through my eyeballs, finally a film worthy of the name.

John Dunbar is an army man during the early years of the american frontier. Disillusioned with the army life, he gets sent to a remote outpost where he befriends a tribe of Lakota Sioux, and through this opportunity finds his true self.

How is it that Costner never managed to replicate this film? He sure tried, with Waterworld and The Postman having the same exact character .. but a much different result.

Obviously that is a rethorical question, as one can clearly see the staggering depth of preparation that went into this film.

The subject does not allow for much more than lazy camerawork and many broad shots, but the film makes up for it in writing and acting.

Ignore the historical accuracy problems and enjoy it for what it is.

8.5/10

I think I saw it 4 times in the theater (by myself) when it was released.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
The Good Cop 8/10 on Netflix. Its a show about a father and son. Father used to be a cop, and now his son is. The son goes out of his way to be the good cop, after having a failed example of it from his father. Its a pretty good comedy about solving crimes that are pretty silly. It has some witty banter, good clean fun and comedy. Few other famous people in it too. I think Tony Danza actually does a pretty good job in acting as well. 10 episodes, little over 40 mins per. Good little show, hoping for a season 2.

I watched a few episodes after reading your opinion of it and I think it's pretty spot on. I'd probably rate it a little lower, like a 7/10 but still something worth watching. Tony Danza's character was a tad bit annoying in the 2nd episode for me but it's still a decent show and I'll finish the season off.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Young Sheldon (season 2) - 8/10

I think most people who don't care for the big bang theory will completely ignore this because it's technically a spinoff/prequel of one of those characters, however it's a much different type of show IMO and is worth giving a shot. There's no laugh track, and I feel it's a little more wholesome touching on family issues. While it's still just a 30 min comedy, I think it's different enough in delivery and themes that it's worth a shot.

Reactions: DigDog

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I absolutely LOATHE the Big Bang Theory, but Young Sheldon can be amusing. It's still not great, but it didn't anger me.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Halloween (the new one) - 9/10 (rated based on what it is) - This movie was excellent, and I'm not even a huge fan of the franchise. It is great as a horror movie, and even better as a reboot/sequel after all these years. If you liked the original and can forget all the trash in between, this movie is a very good sequel (and from what I can remember, it is better than H20 which was pretty good).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's good to hear about Halloween. I actually watched the original last night for the first time ever in my home theater. The music is incredible in that movie still to this day. The overall sound is pretty lacking (as far as quality goes) but that is expected as it's an old flick. It was through Amazon Prime so I don't know if the sound quality on that was as good as a bluray or not though. I thought I had it on bluray but I didn't lol.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Ghostbusters (original) - 10/10
Blazing Saddles - 10/10

Never seen these before last week, but they're two hidden gems worth checking out.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Blazing Saddles - 10/10

Never seen these before last week, but they're two hidden gems worth checking out.
... i wouldnt say they were hidden.
Maybe from the perspective of ...hmmm... someone who doesnt watch films.. or owns a tv even. Then yeah they would totally be hidden.

Only 600 more posts to lifer - no neffing allowed.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Blazing Saddles - 10/10

If you think those are hidden gems and you only watched them last week, then I'm going to have to assume you are in Generation Z and you dont know how a rotary phone even works.

Aug 11, 2008
Just saw "The Meg". Not going to rate it, because if I rated it bad, that would not be fair, since it was very enjoyable in a silly kind of way. But it certainly does not deserve a high rating as art either.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Then why did you watch an entire season of each? I agree though, watching Roseanne is only slightly less painful than a trip to the dentist.

Season 10 of roseanne is nine episodes and people like YOU always tell me I should have stuck around longer than the first one cuz it gets better.

Season 1 of the Conners is one episode.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Hold The Dark 7/10 Netflix

Not what I expected. I liked it, lots of people didnt. Good cast, well acted, great scenery. Ending could have been better.

My Dinner with Herve. HBO 7.5/10

Liked it better than I expected to. Dinklage is interesting to watch. Different type of role for Jamie Dornan.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Solo - 8/10 - I'm not a Star Wars mark by any means but I really enjoyed this movie. I thought the trailer looked pretty dumb and the guy who played him I had a bad feeling about, but I was wrong and really enjoyed it. The effects and some of the scenes were great and I liked the story of how Han and Chewy came to be, as well as how they got their ship. Overall just a fun movie.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I really really did not like the guy who played Han which kind of ruined it for me. I know Ford is a hard one to nail, but I think they could have done better.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I really really did not like the guy who played Han which kind of ruined it for me. I know Ford is a hard one to nail, but I think they could have done better.
As I mentioned I'm not a Star Wars fan or anything so I don't really care about that stuff. I don't even remember how Harrison Ford acted as him in the original trilogy. I don't remember much about the original trilogy in general.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well Ford was a charmin mofo in the 70s and by far the most charismatic person in SW, followed by Vader (if you accept the mannerisms of one actors and the voice of another as "one" person), then Fisher, Guinness, Chewb/R2/C3 and finally that damp squib which is Mark Hamill.
It doesnt help that his character is "clueless hero" but i suspect he doesnt have much charisma to start with - look at his scenes in Jedi.

I take it you've at least seen Blade Runner ??

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have not seen any Blade Runners. I tried watching the original one for the first time like 15 years ago and turned it off like 30 minutes in because it was boring as shit. I had no desire to watch the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.