NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 686 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Departed (Scorsese, DiCaprio, Damon, Wahlberg -- 2006) 10/10

What a great fucking movie!!!

Where so many movies struggle to find an ending, any ending that doesn't feel ponderous, this one ends perfectly. It makes me laugh every time. 4th viewing, first in 6 years.

More than one reviewer has said it was Scorsese's best since Goodfellas but I like it a whole lot more.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I hate to be *that* guy but if you are experiencing relativistic effects where 1h takes 5 years to pass, you would be subject to enough gravity to mulch your body and compress it into a one-inch cube.

I do however like the water planet scene.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
As far as I know (and I don't really), the 'well' of effects could be stable enough to be in. Getting there could be interesting I guess.

Watched Sicario today. 8/10. Pretty brutal, and not 100% my kind of movie, but one of the best of it's kind for sure. Heard the second one isn't quite as good, but I'm still incredibly excited for the blu-ray release.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
'Hostiles", Netflix, 8/10

Not a happy or uplifting film but worth seeing. Slow in spots, beautiful scenery and photography, good cast. Not a Western in the way we have come to think of them.

Reactions: Homerboy

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
As far as I know (and I don't really), the 'well' of effects could be stable enough to be in. Getting there could be interesting I guess.

Watched Sicario today. 8/10. Pretty brutal, and not 100% my kind of movie, but one of the best of it's kind for sure. Heard the second one isn't quite as good, but I'm still incredibly excited for the blu-ray release.
The 2nd one was, okay. I was like more adventures of Benecio Del Toro that nobody was asking for. But it was fine.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Speaking of which, i watched Pan's Labyrinth

and as you can guess, i didnt like it.

Ok so it wasnt BAD, but i found it lacking.

In early Francoist spain, a really mean boss-guy of the army is chasing rebels. Encamped in a wooden house in the forest, he has with him his wife and step-daughter.

Said daughter has hallucinations where she sees marvellous things, and in which she performs a magical ritual to unlock a magic gate.

Both the stories are The first story is good. Sergi Lopez is good as the exquisitly evil Captain Vidal. All the rest of the cast is as good and possibly the non-fantasy part of the film could have made a solid 7/10 film of its own. The story makes sense and progresses properly to a satisfying ending.

The second story is .. well, not as good. It's terribly underdeveloped, it progresses slowly, and the ending is cheesy. Neither the girl nor the faun are good characters OR actors.

And the really bad is that not only do these two stories not work together, due to the wildly contrasting tones, but the second story - which leaves much unexplained while the first has steady development and clear answers - takes away interest from the better half and fastidiously breaks the pacing.

In the end i feel that this is a film that can be skipped without missing out on anything good.

6/10

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Speaking of which, i watched Pan's Labyrinth

and as you can guess, i didnt like it.

Ok so it wasnt BAD, but i found it lacking.

In early Francoist spain, a really mean boss-guy of the army is chasing rebels. Encamped in a wooden house in the forest, he has with him his wife and step-daughter.

Said daughter has hallucinations where she sees marvellous things, and in which she performs a magical ritual to unlock a magic gate.

Both the stories are The first story is good. Sergi Lopez is good as the exquisitly evil Captain Vidal. All the rest of the cast is as good and possibly the non-fantasy part of the film could have made a solid 7/10 film of its own. The story makes sense and progresses properly to a satisfying ending.

The second story is .. well, not as good. It's terribly underdeveloped, it progresses slowly, and the ending is cheesy. Neither the girl nor the faun are good characters OR actors.

And the really bad is that not only do these two stories not work together, due to the wildly contrasting tones, but the second story - which leaves much unexplained while the first has steady development and clear answers - takes away interest from the better half and fastidiously breaks the pacing.

In the end i feel that this is a film that can be skipped without missing out on anything good.

6/10

They need a 'you are so wrong' button.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you have time see the original version that the departed is based on.

Infernal Affairs
Trailer.
I'm not going to watch the trailer (I only do that after seeing a movie... occasionally). But I am getting it from my library. They have 3 different versions, evidently... released in 2002, 2003 and 2004. I figure the most recent must have something the others don't so I reserved it.

Reactions: Thebobo

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Looper. 8/10
I liked it more than Sicario, but couldn't justify a 9/10. Maybe I gave Sicario too much. Looper was pretty tough, did not fit the story ideals I like my movies to follow, but it was great. Man...

Aug 11, 2008
'Hostiles", Netflix, 8/10

Not a happy or uplifting film but worth seeing. Slow in spots, beautiful scenery and photography, good cast. Not a Western in the way we have come to think of them.
Absolutely fantastic performance by Christian Bale. Oscar worthy IMO. The overall movie was very good as well, but I thought the plot was a bit cliched and worked out a bit too easily in the end. I probably would agree with 8/10.

Reactions: Homerboy
Aug 11, 2008
Last movie I saw was Mile 22, an action thriller with Mark Walberg. I would probably rate 6/10. Suspenseful with lots of action, but kind of pointless, and the main purpose of the plot seemed to be to set up a sequel.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Jack Reacher In terms of a movie 7/10. In terms of how much I liked it. 9/10

Fun movie with enough of every part to be intense and quick, but not depressing like the other movies I've watched recently. Makes me think I should grab the Mission Impossible films.

Reactions: DigDog
Status
Not open for further replies.