NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 681 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Girls Last Tour - 8/10

It's slow and nothing much happens but I enjoyed it.

This is a subtitled sci-fi anime series on Amazon Prime, about two girls aged (guessing) 10-15 who are almost the only living humans left on Earth. It's a road movie (tv show) where they drive though an enormous, barren, decaying, multi-level city of concrete and metal pipes. Miles-long dead factories, labyrinths of pipes, thousand-foot ramps, empty skyscrapers.

There are no Fallout-style raiders or Terminator robots (watch Blame on Netflix for that), just emptiness and silence as humanity has faded away.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched Furiosa's Road

This time i had no distractions, and i watched it all in one go.

First off, i stand by my original statement that this is no Mad Max film, but merely inspired by the same post-apocalyptic setting. This isnt the end of the world but i would have loved a proper MM film.

The story is thin, although it serves its (note the correct usage of the particle "its") purpose.
Most of the characters are intriguing, but i see Nux as the only one having an arc worthy of being told, and it's a shame he fades out at the end instead of being given more importance.

The action is certainly very well executed (if a little too flashy), but it's nothing more than a circus act.
However .. i do respect the decision to make a film that "it's gonna be two hours of monstertruck combat without pause" just like i respected La Horde for being the zombie film to end all zombie films.

The acting is maybe better than i remembered, with enough subtlety from everyone *except* the title character, Max. I really didnt like how he gets dialogue while "bloodbagged" and tied to a car.
I dont blame whatshisname, but rather the decision to shoehorn Mad Max into a not-Mad-Max film, leaving the actor with very little usable dialogue and plot to exploit.

I absolutely loved the dust storm scene. I found the "blue" scene perplexing, but i accept it as a visual storytelling tool.

For some weird reason, the scene where they find "the green place" and realize it's died, was cut from the TV version i was watching .. or i might have missed it, idk.

All in all, even though i am short on praise, i think this is a really good film that deserves to be watched. It purposedly decides to do away with, or limit to the bare minimum necessary, some aspects of filmmaking that are considered integral to all film, and while the result isn't better, it also isnt "shit", which is what any film student would expect.

Style over substance, but A LOT of style.

8/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
based on all the high quality gifs floating around the internet, Avengers Infinity War is available for either streaming or torrents.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
based on all the high quality gifs floating around the internet, Avengers Infinity War is available for either streaming or torrents.
Yeah digital release is out, which means downloads are available. Blu-ray is out in the next couple days I think.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
LOTR Fellowship / extended

172 minutes.

While LOTR has an awesome story and some truly excellent characters ... and Jackson's production is stellar .. the acting is bad, the direction is bad, the music is awful, and the pacing is slow.

Maybe in 30 years we will have a remake and maybe it will not suck.

It's not a *bad* movie but it should have been so much better.

8.5/10 if you dont know the story
7/10 if you do

Huh? Howard Shore is a genius. I mean, you don't even have to be a fan of that kind of music to hear how brilliantly he captures the feeling of each scene.

And Sir Ian is fantastic. Couldn't have cast Gandalf better.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
First, and not quite as bad, the entire score has but two themes. These get reworked as needed - which is a standard practice in filmscoring - and while there are some compositional choices which i disagree with, Shore is free to write as he pleases; i find it personally displeasing, not factually.

Two themes? lol

I can think of many more than that just off the top of my head

The "Ring" them
The "hobbit" theme
The "fellowship" theme
The "Elves" theme
The "War" theme
The "Riders of Rohan" theme
The "Shire" theme

I'm sure there are others. Howard Shore isn't Beethoven in terms of thematic development, but he has a very inspired creative mind that produced a lot of pleasing tunes for the trilogy.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Mel Gibson had 16 lines of dialog in Mad Max 2(Road Warrior). It was also more about the world than Mad Max.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
So let me get this straight - Evangeline Lilly is ranting up a storm that she was forced into taking her clothes off on LOST, and that it drove her to tears and depression. Understandably it's taken every higher up involved with the show, from Abrams on down, completely by surprise.

LOST had nudity or near-nudity? I don't remember that aspect of it. I recall she had one full body shot in a bikini early on, maybe in the pilot. I can't recollect any other serious skin she showed.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well you need some measure of how memorable a score is.

I should perhaps add that he's also guilty of scoring the wrong parts of the film (something that obviously i had not made well clear enough earlier when i wrote it) when simple "background music" should be enough.

Not everyone can be John Williams, but here is an example of how the music meets the mood:
while still using the main theme.

I cant lay claim to have ever scored a film, but professionally, my opinion is that the Fellowship score is a disaster. It's dull, the chord changes designed to change the mood do not work with the theme, the orchestration is overpowering, and there's basically two themes that are worthy of the name.
Considering this guy makes a living writing music, thats pretty bad.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Mel Gibson had 16 lines of dialog in Mad Max 2(Road Warrior). It was also more about the world than Mad Max.
The various script websites i quickly checked count more than that, but regardless, they are lines fit for the character. As they also are in Thunderdome.

Max isnt mad; if anything, he is the last nice guy who isnt completely insane.
I need to remind you that the 1979 film and Roa Warrior are not directly related, despite what wikipedia says. One is after an oil crysis, the second after a nuclear war. The character was recycled but it's more of a reboot than anything - max is a considerably worst person in MM1, considering those around him (and the fact that hes a policeman murdering people). Totally different style of film, MM1 is a drama (wife killed by gangsters) similar to Death Wish, MM2 is an adventure/fantasy film, finally moving into comedic/fantasy with MM3.
MM2 has this over the top hero that is close to Big Trouble (if not that kurt russel is incompetent). "You want to get out of here: talk to me" is what makes him Max.

Its easy to get confused because in the world of mad max, everyone seems to be mad max .. but they arent.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
From your link, he has three academy awards, a golden globe, and four grammys for the three films. And Into the West is one of my favorite songs ever. As a Tolkien nerd it was amazing seeing that song get the recognition it deserved.
I knew you would write some bullshit like that so i saved a little something i stole from the john williams forums:
Reasons why I don't consider the Academy an authoritative judge on fine music:

1960: Exodus-Ernest Gold won over Alex North's Spartacus

1969: Bacharach's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid won over Williams' The Reivers

1970: Love Story by some Francis Lai won over Goldsmith's Patton

1978: Giorgio Moroder's Midnigh Express won over Williams' Superman :?

1979: Georges Delerue's A Little Romance won over Goldsmith's Star Trek TMP :roll:

1980: Michael Gore's Fame won over Williams Empire Strikes Back banghead

1981: Vangelis' Chariots of Fire won over Raiders of the Lost Ark censored

1987: The Last Emperor won over Empire of the Sun, Morricone's The Untouchables, and Witches of Eastwick

1989: Menken's The Little Mermaid won over Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Little Mermaid is a musical for God's sakes, don't the have another category?) :angry:

1991 and 1992: Menken won for Beauty and the Best and Aladdin, two musicals.

1996: The English Patient ( :mrgreen: ) won over Sleepers 8O (yeah, the irony)

1997: Titanic won over Amistad and others.... need more proof?

2001: LoRT won over A.I. 8O

As for "in to the west" being your favourite theme ever, i respect your right to have horrible musical taste.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yep DigDog, you're pretty much the only one that hated it :)

Logan: I thought the premise was great, and I appreciated the fact that it didn't come in the standard superhero film template of "hero has to save the world, big boss fight, yay job done". However I thought that in places it was let down by lazy script-writers, which brought the film down from what could have been easily one of the best superhero movies made to maybe slightly above average. Having said that, I'd easily prefer to watch Logan again before considering watching another cookie-cutter 'save the world' template film. I also think that 'Logan' was a passion project and it shows in a number of ways, as opposed to a "can we squeeze another sequel out of this dead horse?". In an emotional sense, I think 'Logan' is quite a lot like 'Looper' (though the latter is significantly better all-round).
Oh, I fucking hate "Looper" with a passion. Piece of shit movie; critical darling.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I knew you would write some bullshit like that so i saved a little something i stole from the john williams forums:

As for "in to the west" being your favourite theme ever, i respect your right to have horrible musical taste.

I've never seen someone get so triggered talking about movie soundtracks.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Like Father - 7.5. On Netflix, with Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer. Estranged father tries to be involved with his daughters life, and some other series like issues challenge this. Really a feel good movie, that is pretty funny from time to time. Mostly set on a cruise ship and ends up with a happy ending to the movie. Not very deep, or great acting, but an enjoyable watch if you're wanting something lighthearted to pass the time.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I've never seen someone get so triggered talking about movie soundtracks.
I take that as a compliment - though i know you didnt mean it.

I watched Sudden Impact, the 4th film in the dirty harry series and the first directed by clint. Not good.

I was never a fan of The Outlaw Josey Wales, (but i do like its "revisionist" side) but Sudden Impact is much, much worse. Far too many long, slow, meaningless shots, crap locations (specially outdoors - clint does better with the indoors), a boring plot with boring villains, and inferior to the rest of the series even in dialogue.

Would not recommend 5.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Since it's summertime, local tv stations will air over 3 months the whole of a bunch of tv series, even multiple episodes in a row. One such for example is airing Little House On The Prairy (which i hate with a passion), another is playing House MD twice a day (you can clearly see the drop in quality in season 4 > 5 > 6).

So, i've been watching a lot of Teen Titans Go! which is awesome, and a lot of Dragon Ball, which is not awesome.

One of the most beloved anime of recent years, it's the epitome of "why anime is shit". To think that the Japanese used to make such great cinema.

So DB has Goku (the Monkey character, lifted off of Journey To The West) randomly appear (he lost his memory - how novel) and join forces with Bulma, a random human who is looking for the Dragon Ball(s).
The first series is actually pretty cool, reasonably well animated,fun, with an abundance of weird characters, reasonably good pacing, and a clear story. It eventually leads to a martial arts tournament where Goku learns he is a pretty strong fighter, slowly getting better.

And then it goes to shit.

From the first series and Goku acheiving the highest peak of martial arts by throwing a ball of ki energy, to the whole cast casually shooting ki balls for the recoil, just to use them to travel!

Then we get to the real anime bits ... characters fighting a villain, spending four episodes (2 hours) taunting each other, others grimacing for the entire fight but never moving, villains casually laughing off crater-blasting explosions, mere seconds of animation over a whole episode, idiotic scripts, characters casually manifesting hitherto unknown powers conveniently matching a threat that made them ghasp in horror in the very previous scene, and generally a ludicrous Monty Haul of ever-increasing unrealistic combat power.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10. Watched it on the flight and I found it hilarious. Reminded me a lot of Fargo, with the witty sarcastic and dark humor.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You have to treat Logan as more of a western movie where there are a handful high tension moments rather than a traditional non-stop action popcorn flick like most super hero movies. It's also a bit distracting in the beginning as it's just WAAAAAY more graphic and visceral than any other Wolverine movie in the past. You need to calibrate what you are watching.

It's basically the first accurate portrayal of the Wolverine character on film.

Status
Not open for further replies.